• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is a Genre You Absolutely HATE?

Jesb

Turn based and strategy games. Also games that rely on gathering resources too much. How’s that any fun.

I don't like sports games nor realistic racing games.

Anything multiplayer focused is also a no for me, from MOBAs to MMOs to hero shooters and the like. I do like co-op games tho, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate and Earth Defense Force 5 and 6 being my favorites.
sports games are lame, I can agree with thaty but realistic racing games/driving sims... that just says "i suck at experience based anything" same goes for your multiplayer hate. i wouldn't normally come at people, but fuck, bro...

CRPG - would rather read a Fantasy/Sci Fi book than play through something that I find boring. I also always found them super pretentious

WRPG - Most of them bore me. I even hated the Dragon Age games. The only ones I actually loved are Mass Effect Trilogy, The Witcher Trilogy and Fable Trilogy. Nothing else has grabbed me since. Also I find alot of them to be super pretentious

First Person Shooters - I suck at FPS. So when Cyberpunk 2077 was announced as a First Person Shooter that was an instant turn off for me.

Racing - This includes games like Mario Kart, I suck at these types of games and am the guy always stuck in the corner

Last edited:

Starhowl

• Grand Theft Auto-styled games (what's the genre called?)
  • Battle Royale like Apex, Fortnite, etc.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
sports games are lame, I can agree with thaty but realistic racing games/driving sims... that just says "i suck at experience based anything" same goes for your multiplayer hate. i wouldn't normally come at people, but fuck, bro...
Lol what. Please elaborare, I'm curious about your line of thinking.

Are you implying anyone who doesn't like racing nor multiplayer games sucks at gaming?

Last edited:

Z O N E

Racing games.

I like cars... I just don't enjoy car games. Lol

Second would probably be Hero Shooters, but that's just because once you get to the higher levels, unless you run with a team, you'll most likely get melted and it's just boring at that point.

AndrewRyan

Point-and-click adventure games, or what I call, click on every mf pixel just in case games.
Turn based RPGs.
Melee combat when you don't see damage on the enemy after striking.
Games that use a rogue-like system for no good reason.
MMOGs
Not always but I usually bounce at the first sighting of a playing card.

Drake

Twin stick shooters. I'm no good at them and I had how they control. Even if a game looks cool, but it's a twin stick shooter I immediately disqualify it as something I will play.

larrybrady

Neo Member
Gaas and turn based,always despised turn-based.. id rather get a dry enema with a redwood tree than play that garbage style

I don’t hate these genres, but they all need a serious shakeup of creativity and innovation before they end up 6 ft under years from now:

Turn based RPGs
Sports games by 2k/EA
Real Time Strategy

A few exceptions doesn’t mean the whole is in a good state.

rhythm games. don't hate them, but i don't play them (& I do hate mini-rhythm games inserted into games i'm otherwise enjoying)...

the only exception: yakuza 5. no idea why (other than the fact that i'd do anything for haruka)...

Banjo64

cumsessed
JRPGs. Terrible writing and gameplay 99%’of the time with a sprinkling of scantily clad underage school girls thrown in for good measure.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't know that there are genres I absolutely hate. There are genres I just don't enjoy much. First person shooters, roguelikes/lites, and soulslike are the main ones. I don't mind firing one up from time to time but I get bored pretty quickly.

Humdinger

No. I don't have that negative an emotional response. If I don't like something, I just don't play it. I could only "hate" it if you forced me to play it, like that scene in Clockwork Orange. Then I might hate it. But otherwise, it's just "not for me." Which is fine. Most games are not for me.

CliffBronger

Neo Member
I don't like souls games so i never play them, i wouldn't say i hate them though, each to there own i guess.

I'm not keen on mmo's either but i am getting started with elite dangerous at the moment.

DelireMan7

Platform.

"Ho you miss your jump and have to redo this series of jump".
Man missing a platform infuriates me more than dying 100 times to a Souls boss.

Extra bonus hate point for Mario. This fucking guy has some slippery shoes which I swear are just there to make the jumps more difficult.

Hate Platforming and fucking hate Mario.

BWJinxing

Dark-Souls like.

Every modern RPG needs Dark-Souls like mechanics.

Instant turn off. There are times I wanna turn off my brain, instead I have to treat the game with the same alertness of rl.

I honestly just cheat infinite health right off the bat. My character has a plot twist.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Souls-like.
I get it. It's hard af on purpose.
Designed like the olden days of arcade games to take your quarters.
These games require too much commitment to see it to the end.
If all you have is nothing but free-time then there is nothing wrong with the difficulty at all.

It was fun for the first few souls like games, but now it feels incredibly stale.
Can't stand it anymore.

That is, until they release Bloodborne 2 lol
I'll put up with it again if they release that.

Paasei

MOBA’s and hero shooters are the only genre I don’t even bother with trying out.

I also never play fighting games, however. Yet I still think some look cool. Just not for me which makes actually hating the genre very out of place.

Genre’s I hate: Moba’s & hero shooters
Genre’s I dislike: Survival games
Genre’s that I think are cool but for me: fighting, sports and RTS (some exceptions)

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
JRPG's - too much of a grindfest and I suppose I never really got Japanese games.

Important to note that im not saying JRPG's are bad. Im happy for the millions who love them - its just not for me.

Porcile

Side scrolling beat em ups or belt action or whatever they're called. Just can't get into them at all. Shmups and Fighting Games are cool but combining them together does nothing for me.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Turn-based JRPGs

Turn based RPGs

Turn-based rpg

Snl Fight Me GIF by Saturday Night Live

I'm just kidding ... I can't stand Souls-likes and PvP games. Love Co-op games, Action/Adventures, and RPGs with skill trees.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Sadly I can’t handle scary games any more

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

I’m going my way through TLoU2 now and if it’s not for the player’s companion, I don’t think I could go all the way through. It stresses me out too much.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Whichever genre Minecraft/Roblox/Fortnite belongs to.

My daughter’s been explicitly told this shit will never exist under my roof.
That's a true shame, Minecraft has been incredibly good for my daughter's creativity and she has learned quite a lot about coding as it inspired her towards that direction.

Roblox and Fortnite, agreed, I banned that shit in our home after I saw how vapid and stupid her friends on those games were.

NahaNago

I'm not into first person games for the most part. Then again I haven't played that many of them. I just like seeing the character on the screen. I'd like to say roguelike but I've never been interested in them to actually play any of them.

TheStam

Crafting games. I have tried but I hate them. I enjoy the exploration of No Man Sky, but after a while it just becomes a inventory management simulator. All games like this like Minecraft, Valheim, Subnautica (which seems so cool otherwise).

Ubi-style open world games. I used to love these but get burnt out on them. Valhalla was the worst, even have a hard time finishing Ghost of Tsushima. Weirdly CDPR games are my favorite of all-time, but they use the open world as a backdrop. Some people hated Cyberpunk because it wasn't a GTA style sandbox, where you can mess about and "find your own fun" . I have no interest in such things.

Online competitive shooters. I have a soft spot for the Battlefield franchise which is part some weird patriotic thing, part loving the atmosphere of BF1, but I don't have time generally for skinner box systems.

BlackTron

Twin-stick shooters. I don't mind using it as a mechanic but if the entire game is literally moving two sticks to move and shoot (Enter the Gungeon) then no thanks. Luckily, there's a lot of overlap with other genres I'm skeptical of, like roguelite/likes. I also never play sports games, other than a couple of decades-old ones.

Soulslikes. Which is a shame since many of them have great atmosphere and satisfying combat, but actually playing them is insufferable.

Top Bottom