• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best PC controller? *Not including default M&K

I swapped out my Xbox Elite Series 2 for a Gulikit KK3 Max. I really like it, it's my new daily driver. It has basically all the features for half the price, plus hall effect sticks. After two repairs of my Elite S2 I am done with the poor quality on them.

And it doesn't look overly gamer-y like the Flydigi controllers.

61JU2j-DOtL.jpg

StereoVsn

I like Dualsense but also have Xbox One controller handy as well. Oh and have one of 8bitdo controller, not the latest but the “Pro” version before that.

DanEON

Dualsense Edge
It has everything i need. Gyro, back buttons, mechanical stop triggers, and ofcourse, haptic feeback and adptive trigger for compatible games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Xbox Series X controller. If anything it’s just as much a PC controller as an Xbox controller considering how well it just works.

I have the always green xbox series x controller, a gamesir t4 kaleid, a switch pro controller and a the ds5.

In order of preference\being hassle free on pc outside of steam games

Xbox controller, worse build quality than x360 controllers but the most hassle free by far on pc and i like the ergonomics
T4 kaleid best controller i have but it can have some problems with some games, hall effect sticks and triggers
Ds5, only use it on ps5, i hate symmetrical sticks and give 2 fucks about the useless gimmicks so it's usually the last choice on pc
Switch pro, super small and frail, not sure why people love it so much, probably kids with small hands or just going from ubershit joycons to a proper controller must be a huge relief
Xbox controllers are pure bliss. Either that or 8BitDo or PDP.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Xbox controllers are pure bliss. Either that or 8BitDo or PDP.
Their build quality is not as good as it was before, i had 2 of them, one has a fucked up stick and one has a fucked up trigger.

Also they are still a bit on the light side for me, but i like super heavy controllers.

I think gamesir is on the level of the other 2, they are cheaper but spec wise they are the same (sometimes even better because they also have hall effect triggers, not only sticks).

Last edited:
Their build quality is not as good as it was before, i had 2 of them, one has a fucked up stick and one has a fucked up trigger.

Also they are still a bit on the light side for me, but i like super heavy controllers.
I guess I dont use them enough for them to go bad quickly. I mainly use KB+M and very, very rarely use a controller.

I also have a PDP Xbox controller which I have a LONG time. Dropped it like 20 times etc, still not missing a beat. Its a good alternative and dirt cheap compared to the rest.

keefged4

I switch between a Gamesir T4 Kaleid, an 8Bitdo ultimate wirless and a dualsense. The T4 is the best out of the three when used in PS mode as it has the highest polling rate for everything, including gyro. Plus hall sticks. But honestly, I mainly use M&K over everything tbh

Garibaldi

Quite the collection. I've got a Winwing flight stick which I really like. Virpil was a bit out of my price range.
Aye they weren't cheap but I got a bunch of stuff (bases, extensions, pedals and control panels etc) in a sale so it was about 40% off. Still cost a ton like. I play a load of DCS so it was worth it

twilo99

Gold Member
That is legit the most ugly controller I have seen in modern times. I'm sure technically it's checking all the right boxes, but holy shit. It looks like Madcatz + all the gaming RGB shit. To each their own but, not for me even if it was given for free.

Aesthetics over function?

BossLackey

Gold Member
These days i prefer the 8bitdo ultimate wireless controller to anything else and I have most controllers. Xbox wireless dongle stinks and drops connections a lot in my experience.

My exact experience.

My only problem with the Ultimate is the bumpers on mine kind of stick for some reason 🤷‍♂️

favorite is still x360 w/ official wireless usb dongle
never had an issue after a decade or so--just plug n play for everything.

recently deep cleaned it and replaced the thumb stick pad thingies with replacements from zedlabz.com
not 1000% as good as originals, but very happy with the quality and would buy again.
cc5oiv5ftpu_de3f69e4-6624-4906-a7b6-5d93bed4f675_2048x.jpg

Ev1L AuRoN

I particularly prefer the Dual Sense, but with Sony not releasing a PC adapter that unlocks the advanced features wirelessly It's hard to vote for it, so, being objective, the Series Controller had the universal support and just works, so I'm voting for it.

Jesb

I was using the 8bitdo for using with GFN and now the dock no longer works. The white light at the bottom doesn’t light up anymore. So now trying to charge just with usb connected. Anyone else have this issue with dock not turning on?

S0ULZB0URNE

Input lag is very important for my tastes so....

I choose Gamesir t4 kaleid(switch version) and the DualSense Edge as both have up to 1000hz polling rates.

buenoblue

I use PS5 controller. I have ds4windows set to run as a task at startup so I turn on my PC then press the PS button and it connects automatically so I don't need to start ds4 windows manually. Also have controller companion set to start with windows so I can navigate windows with the dualsense.

I play on TV 20ft from PC and this works great.

Also on Windows 10/11 if you type in joy.cpl into search you can run the calibration program for your controller. Oh and in ds4windows set Bluetooth polling to 140hz and dead zone to 10 and it feels exactly like playing on PS5 ☺️

Was using Xbox one controllers but I find the dead zone sucks.

Soodanim

I've been happy with my DS4 for years. I got a double capacity battery and I've replaced a couple parts (the rubber on the inside of the D-pad split, but it's a cheap and easy replacement).

What I like most is the ability to customise the trackpad to unlock more input options. With Steam Input you can get all sorts: touch, click, swipe, and more, and separate settings for left/right.

All you need is DS4Windows and its bundled software to get it in Exclusive Mode and you're good to go.
  • 1000hz polling rate
  • Light bar turned into battery indicator
  • Deadzone adjustment for drift mitigation
  • Controller emulation choice
    • 360 mode for compatibility
    • DS4 mode to pass to Steam and take advantage of its greater feature set
I'm always tempted by other controllers, but one thing or another always lets them down. I tried an 8bitdo and at the time I seemed to be forced to use their software to use the grip buttons and they were feature limited. Returned it. I tempted by the Ultimate but I haven't forgotten the last time.

The Gamesir Cyclone looks promising, but I have questions:
How is it for compatibility? Does certain software just cry with it?
Does Steam recognise it as what it is, or is it an approximation if at all?
How is Gamesir's own software?
Does it have per-game profiles?
Can you do turbo?
Can you do multiple binds like a press and a hold for one button?

Part of me thinks I should just get something that is compatible with ReWASD if I want a replacement. Other software is often no more than button swapping and stick tuning - the barest of minimums.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

I use the turtle beach stealth ultra a lot. Very happy with that one.

Also the new 8bit ultimate wireless with hall effect sticks, which cost 1/4 of the Stealth Ultra and is almost as good.

Killer8

The best is whatever one you prefer. It all works now via Steam Input. Many games also allow you to choose your button style in the UI (PS, Xbox or Switch).

For the one's that don't - just imagine the buttons on your PS controller are Xbox ones. You aren't going to be looking at your controller while playing.

Sorcerer

8bitDo has a new budget controller coming out (wired or wireless) with 2 more buttons on the top next to the shoulder buttons. I'm very curios because it claims the extra buttons can be programmed without software. Does this mean every button can be re-programmed without software. Comes out in 8 days, can't find any previews or a manual. I prefer button customization on the controller. Not sure if buttons on the top can ever replace paddles but my need for more buttons are more casual.

For any info anybody has or can point me to, Thanx in advance!!!

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I have the Eva version and I think it's gorgeous. Every time Flydigi does an Eva Version they knock it out of the park. Unfortunately, for my old eyes the screen is too tiny and useless. Otherwise, this controller is amazing. The 70 dollar Manba has a color screen that shames the one on the Flydigi, but that controller is flawed in other ways. There is no winning LOL!!!
111_1920x1920.png

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

A standard Xbox controller connected via BT seems to provide the best experience for me. I have the Xbox wireless adapter as well, the OG long version, and it can be inconsistent at times.

The added benefit of just going BT with the controller is that it is extremely easy to jump between console and PC with the same controller.

I use a Turtle Beach Recon and it has worked well for me. I don’t play a whole lot on PC though, but the controller has always felt comfortable to me

Soodanim

8bitDo has a new budget controller coming out (wired or wireless) with 2 more buttons on the top next to the shoulder buttons. I'm very curios because it claims the extra buttons can be programmed without software. Does this mean every button can be re-programmed without software. Comes out in 8 days, can't find any previews or a manual. I prefer button customization on the controller. Not sure if buttons on the top can ever replace paddles but my needs for more buttons are more casual.

For any info anybody has or can point me to, Thanx in advance!!!

I can't say for certain, but without software likey means using the controller itself to map an existing button to it. Which, without advanced options like macro recording, probably means you'll map L/R3 to L/R4 and be done with it.

The downside of Xinput is that it doesn't allow for more buttons, and unless it's a Dinput controller (which will give you extra binding options on PC at the cost of reduced compatibility with modern games) there aren't too many options for expanding controllers.

I remain hopeful though, and will see how that turns out.

fersnake

Received mine this week

It’s amazing. I don’t think you can find a better value.

Hall effect joysticks, bye bye drift.
Charging dock that is also 2.4Ghz to your PC.
Auto connects soon as you pick up controller, can’t stress enough how this quality of life feature totally kills the Xbox controller Bluetooth.
Paddles in back.
Good D-pad, good buttons, good triggers, good build quality

For that price, there’s no competition.
dammm nice price and features, im about to change my ds4 for my pc and i was looking for a new controller, thanks for the recommendation gonna look into it.

btw i love how the dpad doesnt have those round edges like the xbox one's.

Klosshufvud

For all the shit that Microsoft rightfully gets, their Xbox controllers are pretty good.
Until you play a fighting game and want to kill yourself over missed inputs. In my opinion, Dualshock 4 is still the best PC controller with the highest genre versatility. The Xbox controllers are fitting for shooters ,a genre you play with KBM on PC anyways. For genres where controller is preferred, I find the symmetrical layout of Dualshock 4 superior. Dualsense isn't a bad choice either but has a worse dpad, weighs more and a bit less friendly to smaller hands.

TrebleShot

If you have feminine hands that are small with long fingernails possibly manicured but if your a guy most likely socially recluse with long un cut nails that look strange and obtuse you'll love the 8bitDo otherwise known as Carpel Tunnel inducer.

Rickyiez

8bitdo pro ultimate. It has Hall effect, great connection , awesome battery life and a docking stand. The controller itself is pretty solid, has backpaddles , and it still hasn't exhibits any drifting after years of heavy usage.

Last edited:

RainyNguyen

It's really unfortunate that many people here still think the Xbox gamepad is the best for PC. Try using gamepads from China, and you'll throw your Xbox gamepad straight into the trash. And their prices are 2 to 3 times cheaper, magic!!!!

The king of gamepad currently is: Flydigi Apex 4, the best p/p is Flydigi Vader 3 Pro (they just released Vader 4 Pro ). Let me make some comparisons
- Polling rate: 125Hz ( lol, even Elite 2) vs 500Hz of V3P and 1000Hz of Apex4/ V4P. Less delay
- Joystick: potentiometer vs hall effect. With Hall effect tech, your stick will never drift again. And its sensitivity and smoothness are much much better. You can even adjust the tension of the joystick ( Apex 4 and V4P )
- Buttons: membrane vs mechanical buttons. Flydigi gps all have 4 back buttons, and they are less prone to accidental presses, unlike the Elite 2. V3P/ V4P also have 2 more front buttons, you can assign functions or macro to these buttons.
- Other feature:
+ Trigger locks: The trigger locks on V3P/ V4P are the best on the market, they can emulate a mechanical click when turned the trigger lock on.
+ Compatible: Flydigi gps can use on PC, Android, Ios, Switch
+ Gyro

- Build quality: Apex 4 is Flydigi's flagship model, so its build quality is very good, though not quite as good as the Elite 2, maybe around 8/10. As for the Vader series, the build quality is lower but still decent for its price range.
- Price: V3P: ~ 50$ ( 30$ on sale ), V4P: 70$ ( pre-order ), Apex 4: 100$ ( 50$ on sale )
- You guys can check reviews on youTube and reddit. I guarantee that 90% of them are satisfied and consider it the best gamepad they've ever used.

And not just gamepads, even other devices like mice, keyboards, etc., from China are also leading the market.

Topher

Gold Member
If you have feminine hands that are small with long fingernails possibly manicured but if your a guy most likely socially recluse with long un cut nails that look strange and obtuse you'll love the 8bitDo otherwise known as Carpel Tunnel inducer.

Which 8bitdo controller are you talking about?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
These days i prefer the 8bitdo ultimate wireless controller to anything else and I have most controllers. Xbox wireless dongle stinks and drops connections a lot in my experience.

I still have the official 360 wireless USB adapter on my gaming PC, that thing is rock solid. Waiting for my last controllers to develop stick drift before I change it out.

On my 2nd PC I use the Xbox one wireless USB dongle. I had so many problems with it. It lost connection constantly. I googled every possible fix, disabled all USB power savings modes etc, read every reddit thread on it and tried everything, updated the controller firmware etc. Nothing worked. Then I read someone say that it can be USB interference from the motherboard or something and put the dongle on an extension. I tried that and never had one drop off since then. Weird.

draliko

It's really unfortunate that many people here still think the Xbox gamepad is the best for PC. Try using gamepads from China, and you'll throw your Xbox gamepad straight into the trash. And their prices are 2 to 3 times cheaper, magic!!!!

The king of gamepad currently is: Flydigi Apex 4, the best p/p is Flydigi Vader 3 Pro (they just released Vader 4 Pro ). Let me make some comparisons
- Polling rate: 125Hz ( lol, even Elite 2) vs 500Hz of V3P and 1000Hz of Apex4/ V4P. Less delay
- Joystick: potentiometer vs hall effect. With Hall effect tech, your stick will never drift again. And its sensitivity and smoothness are much much better. You can even adjust the tension of the joystick ( Apex 4 and V4P )
- Buttons: membrane vs mechanical buttons. Flydigi gps all have 4 back buttons, and they are less prone to accidental presses, unlike the Elite 2. V3P/ V4P also have 2 more front buttons, you can assign functions or macro to these buttons.
- Other feature:
+ Trigger locks: The trigger locks on V3P/ V4P are the best on the market, they can emulate a mechanical click when turned the trigger lock on.
+ Compatible: Flydigi gps can use on PC, Android, Ios, Switch
+ Gyro

- Build quality: Apex 4 is Flydigi's flagship model, so its build quality is very good, though not quite as good as the Elite 2, maybe around 8/10. As for the Vader series, the build quality is lower but still decent for its price range.
- Price: V3P: ~ 50$ ( 30$ on sale ), V4P: 70$ ( pre-order ), Apex 4: 100$ ( 50$ on sale )
- You guys can check reviews on youTube and reddit. I guarantee that 90% of them are satisfied and consider it the best gamepad they've ever used.

And not just gamepads, even other devices like mice, keyboards, etc., from China are also leading the market.
I'm considering moving away from Xbox pad as the adapter had all kind of issues in the pasto weeks, and getting disconnected while playing elden ring is quite stress inducing 😅 was looking at 8bitdo and gullikit hall effect pads, but I'm gonna check your suggestions too. Would you prefer flydigi over gullikit?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I use my old PS4 controller with the back button attachment (why no PS5 version of that?). Works fine. I might get another one before they start to get scarce.

BossLackey

Gold Member
8bitdo pro ultimate. It has Hall effect, and a docking stand. The controller itself is pretty solid, has backpedals, and it still hasn't exhibits any drifting after years of heavy usage.

As someone with a bit of a controller purchasing addiction, I still haven't found anything better.

Works supremely well, great battery, great connection, VERY comfortable, great d-pad, solid construction, back paddles, , hall effect sensors, it has it all.

My one and only complaint is that it doesn't like when you actuate LB/RB from the outside of the button a la Xbox. You gotta really be pressing down on the center.

RainyNguyen

I'm considering moving away from Xbox pad as the adapter had all kind of issues in the pasto weeks, and getting disconnected while playing elden ring is quite stress inducing 😅 was looking at 8bitdo and gullikit hall effect pads, but I'm gonna check your suggestions too. Would you prefer flydigi over gullikit?
According to the evaluations I consulted from Facebook groups, they consider Flydigi's Apex4, V3P, and V4P gamepads to still be the best choices to buy currently, both in terms of quality and price.

Had the Elite 1 and 2, changed both for a regular xbox series controller (though the bumpers tend to fail in my experience).

Also have some ps5 controllers, but I just use them on the ps5.

I hear that Gamestop's Candy-con are decent and look pretty good too.

Hudo

Until you play a fighting game and want to kill yourself over missed inputs. In my opinion, Dualshock 4 is still the best PC controller with the highest genre versatility. The Xbox controllers are fitting for shooters ,a genre you play with KBM on PC anyways. For genres where controller is preferred, I find the symmetrical layout of Dualshock 4 superior. Dualsense isn't a bad choice either but has a worse dpad, weighs more and a bit less friendly to smaller hands.
I mean, good for you that the Dualsense or Dualshock 4 works for you. I still like the Xbox controllers.

Top Bottom