• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best tower defense game?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I bought this sight unseen from the deep dive Steam sale because it was sitting there amongst absolutely great games and the reviews are very good.

It’s so good. It’s just so satisfying to play. Goddamn. It’s scratching an itch I didn’t even know I had.

Sseth was right about this game, it’s a banger. This genre is kind of weird and most of the games I liked in it were on mobile like Army of Darkness TD. Any other modern TD games you would recommend preferably on PC?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
mpgSPIg.jpeg

The GOAT.

But Bloons is great, too.

Bernardougf

I bought this sight unseen from the deep dive Steam sale because it was sitting there amongst absolutely great games and the reviews are very good.

It’s so good. It’s just so satisfying to play. Goddamn. It’s scratching an itch I didn’t even know I had.

Sseth was right about this game, it’s a banger. This genre is kind of weird and most of the games I liked in it were on mobile like Army of Darkness TD. Any other modern TD games you would recommend preferably on PC?

Its the mobile version good ? I prefer to play this type of games on the go.

Antwix

I loved tower defense ever since I played Warcraft 3 custom games. Those were so fun.

I haven't played a ton of recent ones but my favorite is the Defense Grid series. 1 & 2.

edit: I actually re-played DG2 on console like 2 years ago and it surprisingly works great for anyone looking for a console TD game.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I play that Bloons game most days on my phone. As with all tower defence games, I insist on not allowing a single enemy to get to the exit, or I restart the level. I've been stuck for quite a while on one of the levels.

There's another one on the phone that I recommend called 2112TD, I put a decent amount of time into completing that one.

As mentioned above, I liked Defence Grid too.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Defense Grid by far.

Game is intense, much better than the sequel.

I’ve burned tons of time in TD6 but it has a bad case of “too damn easy” as you get super OP as you level up and then you just have to do endless waves to have any challenge.

BlackTron

I bought Defense Grid all the way back on 360 and it's the only reason my Series S gets any game time now. If you want a TD game that plays well with a gamepad, get it. The sequel is okay too, but I very slightly prefer 1. The main draw of 2, is multiplayer.

On the other end of the spectrum is Kingdom Rush Frontiers, which is a GREAT game but you pretty much have to play it with a mouse or it's ass. I tried it touch screen as well, just use a mouse

nkarafo

Defense Grid and Plants VS Zombies already mentioned. Nothing better has ever been made since. Genre is dead, thread is over.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Pixeljunk monsters 1 on the ps3
Couch coop bliss

That shit is fucking cash.

Great to hear bloons is so addicting i might finally get it thanks for the thread

-edit- mini update.. metal slug attack reloaded. 200 hours in. A must play for sprite art fans

Last edited:

MujkicHaris

Fieldrunners, Plants vs. Zombies, Sanctum, Anomaly: Warzone Earth. Also, Dragon Quest Heroes --- has tower defense elements.

Fun games.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Love Sseth's channel, dude makes very fun content and also has introduced me to many niche games that I ended up loving.

I would recommend it to anyone interested in broading his horizons while also not being afraid of some politically incorrect humor.

I loved tower defense ever since I played Warcraft 3 custom games. Those were so fun.

I haven't played a ton of recent ones but my favorite is the Defense Grid series. 1 & 2.

edit: I actually re-played DG2 on console like 2 years ago and it surprisingly works great for anyone looking for a console TD game.

This, this, this.

Defence Grid series is by far the best tower defence out there.

DryvBy

Plants vs Zombies is easily one of the best ones and has a lot of replay value. CreeperWorld is a bit more complex but worth it.

For co-op, I really enjoyed the first PixelJunk Monsters.

Holammer

Bloons TD6 is great and I have 317 hours innit. If you like Adventure Time AND bloons? Check out Bloons Adventure Time TD. It's a fun little crossover game with a lot of extra depth. There's some story and voice acters from the show do their voices.
It's f2p, but I only spent 2,99€ and got 200+ hours out of it.

two-of-a-thing-i-like-like.gif

Gemcraft games are neat too, Gemcraft Chapter 2: Chasing Shadows is very good, but last game in the series (frostborn wrath) shit the bed with the difficulty. It's way too hard to be enjoyable.

Pixel Junk Monsters is in the guilty pleasure category as I played it a little on the PS3. There's an ultimate version nowadays. It's a little bit too slow paced and also gets uncomfortably difficult later on.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Played about 40 minutes of Path of the Goddess. The zoomed in gameplay perspective really bothers me. Having a large percentage of the action/strategy take place off screen feels bad. Demo likely killed the purchase.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
These are kind of hybrid tower defense but I enjoyed them a lot:
Toy Soldiers 1+2
Iron Brigade

Iron Brigade is 75% off during this sale and is $3.74 US.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'll throw down for all the Kingdom Rush games - on PC you get the full suite of heroes included. And Defender Quest is amazingly deep.

PvZ is good so is Defense Grid, but I vastly prefer the semi-RPG / collecting elements from KR and DQ above. DQ if a full on RPG almost.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Pixel Junk Monsters - the original - sequel was so so.

I played most other things mentioned in this thread and they don't come close tbh.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I like Bloons TD6 a lot but I’ve not put much time in to it.

The Kingdom Rush games are good but much slower pace compared to Bloons.

TD5 is also meant to be really good (and it’s cheaper to buy).

WoJ

I just wanted to say I love tower defense as a genre. I wish we got more games in this genre.

Are there any games that can be played so that you build up a base and just defend it? Like can this be done in Age of Empires or something like that? I've never really taken time to explore RTS games that way.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I just wanted to say I love tower defense as a genre. I wish we got more games in this genre.

Are there any games that can be played so that you build up a base and just defend it? Like can this be done in Age of Empires or something like that? I've never really taken time to explore RTS games that way.

This game rules but it’s pretty hard. Basically you build a base with an economy like AoE or Starcraft and just turtle up and defend against waves of zombies.

Fieldrunners was really great on iphone when the app store launched first, probably around 2008-9. I had never spent so much time with a TD game before or since.

Really thought at the time that it had the makings for a major franchise and that mobile gaming was the future for certain genres. Glad I was super wrong about that last point!

Tunned

South Park Let's Go Tower Defence was freaking awesome:

Shame the game never made it out of XBL Arcade.

Otherwise as others said, Pixel Junk Monsters (the first) is really good, Plants vs. Zombies is awesome, and I really liked X-Morph: Defence.

Tams

Custom Age of Empires II maps.

But MSN Gaming Zone is long dead, so Orcs Must Die then.

AirMech was a great one, but intercontinental PvP was so bad it never worked and the game is almost dead.

Top Bottom