• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the tits??? SFA pushed back to Jan. 11th 2005?

SFA's already out

B00006599U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

belgurdo

Banned
I think it's delayed for Live support, although given how they've handed online services in the past one has to wonder why they're bothering

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Gamestop (work) had it listed as January too

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Im speechless.

Do you know how many people were looking forward to playing the Xbox version in Oct/Nov???

First RE4 now this : pissedthefuckoff:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Someone at SCEA is whistling ;).

Let's see how good or bad is the online mode: CAPCOM has the chance of fixing it up so that might be a good selling point that could balance the fact that the game will have already come out several months before on PlayStation 2.

This is the first time I've heard this news, and this news pisses me off as well. I don't want to sound crazy, but everytime I hear that another Xbox version of a multi-platform game gets delayed, I'm lead to believe that perhaps there's a conspiracy going on. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I feel that if Xbox owners have to wait 3 more months, they should be compensated. Crapcom should release that bad boy at $20 bones, instead of $30. But that's just me.

Brannon

It's Capcom, it's online, it's what should've been expected after witnessing the travesty that was Auto Modellista on the PS2, the PS2 people.

BeOnEdge

Banned
Matlock said:
BoE: Yes, SFA is so close to competing with Halo anyway.

its not just halo. its LIVE and its christmas. Why release a game when 1, no ones gonna be playing it on live because they'll be too busy with other things and 2, there will be a good 3-5 other games on LIVE with bigger marketing budgets pushed thru the holiday as well. Releasing in january makes sense. people will have their christmas money and an extra LIVE game at that point wont hurt.

jarrod

Banned
CorruptionDee said:
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I feel that if Xbox owners have to wait 3 more months, they should be compensated.
They are... with online play. Would you rather get an offline SFAC the same time as PS2 or an online release next year?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
BeOnEdge said:
its not just halo. its LIVE and its christmas. Why release a game when 1, no ones gonna be playing it on live because they'll be too busy with other things and 2, there will be a good 3-5 other games on LIVE with bigger marketing budgets pushed thru the holiday as well. Releasing in january makes sense. people will have their christmas money and an extra LIVE game at that point wont hurt.

Sometimes I really do think you're delusional... really.

border

The makers of a budget-priced retro fighting game are scared of Halo 2? That's kind of like saying that the people behind Puyo Puyo are scared of Final Fantasy. The two games have basically nothing to do with each other, and are hardly likely to cannibalize each others' sales. The boost that SFA would get from being a Christmas release is going to completely offset any lost sales.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Right now, the PS2 offline only SFAC is scheduled for August 31/September 1. The Xbox online version is set for Jan 2005.

I just got the import SF3 for PS2 yesterday, and it's fantastic. It's probably worth the wait, but if you can, you might as well buy it for the PS2 now, and get it again for Xbox next year *if* Capcom manages to get the online right. Capcom did a fairly shitty job with CvS2 Live and really fucked up big time with Line of Contact.

shuri

Banned
Why the fuck do people think that the delay is a good thing for sony? People who want that game are usually oldschool sf fans or hardcore fighters. hardcore fighters already got the games on every fucking format. The main appeal of this collection is being able to play ONLINE

What is the interest of the ps2 version if its only only? I own a ps2 and a xbox, but i'll wait for the xbox version. I have no use for yet another offline version of sf*

I "have" the ps2 version, and the DC version. I'm a bit peeved about the delay. I had wanted to play it online but I keep rembering CvS2 BS, the lag, the quiters, the whiners....actually I dunno about wanting to play on XBL anymore.

rastex

Banned
.... the pain, the PAIN!!!!

This is/was EASILY my most anticipated game this year.... oh man, if it's delayed... bloody hell. Bright side, bright side.

I'll do better in school and have a healthy relationship. In January I'll be working again and will have a lot more time. Bright side.

DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jarrod said:
They are... with online play. Would you rather get an offline SFAC the same time as PS2 or an online release next year?

I knew you were going to say that. However, it is my personal opinion, that online play should be mandatory for an old 2D fighting game on the Xbox. EO was online, and so is Guilty Gear, so Capcom obviously isn't doing anyone any favors, at least not in my opinion. The Xbox Live addition benefits them, as much as it does the gamers. Xbox Live support= more sales= more money for Capcom. When I say compensation, I mean they should add the bonus disc from the Japanese PS2 limited edition of Hyper Street Fighter II, which includes footage of the prototype version of Final Fight 89'. This is just my opinion.

The sad part is that we all know this will never happen, and time after time another company continues to complain about lackluster sales of their Xbox ports. Lackluster sales? Hmm. Do you think releasing the Xbox version of games up to 2 years later (GTA III) has anything to do with it? Methinks it does.

I would have no problem purchasing the PS2 version, however, I already own the import PS2 version of Hyper Street Fighter II and the Import Dreamcast version of SF3: Third Strike. So buying the same game again would be a waste of money. Unless, of course, it included online play.....hence, the Xbox version. If Capcom can tweak the game enough to make sure it doesn't suffer from spontaneous lag like EO did, then I guess it will be worth the wait.

This rant is over. Peace.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
shuri said:
Why the fuck do people think that the delay is a good thing for sony? People who want that game are usually oldschool sf fans or hardcore fighters. hardcore fighters already got the games on every fucking format. The main appeal of this collection is being able to play ONLINE

What is the interest of the ps2 version if its only only? I own a ps2 and a xbox, but i'll wait for the ps2 version. I have no use for yet another offline version of sf*

It's not really a big deal for Sony or MS. SFAC won't have any impact at all on PS2 sales and MS has tons of other Xbox Live fighters coming out this fall as it is.

As for the fans, I don't care about online play really. I am glad to have a home version that is finally arcade perfect so I can practice for the arcade. Online will be nice to have but for me, it's not enough that I would wait an extra 4-5 months for it if there is a perfect version for PS2 already.

I don't know if the majority of hardcore SF fans are like me or like you, but since the DC version of SF3 TS isn't very good for arcade practice, I suspect a large portion will feel the same way I do.

All I know is that if Capcom actually does a good job on the Xbox Live, I'll buy the game again next year for Xbox, but I am definately getting it for PS2 next month.

jarrod

Banned
So wait, Capcom delivers a SF retro complilation, at a budget price, adds online play... and it's not good enough. You need more "compensation". Xbots should consider themselves lucky they're even getting the game honestly. Capcom's sales on the platform really don't warrant a port even, quit bitching about it.

Of course. Because anyone who complains about Capcom releasing a game on-time, as promised, most certainly is an Xbot.
rolleyes2.gif

You must have missed the part where I said I already own both games on the PS2 and Dreamcast. In my opinion, the only game worth owning in the pack is SF3:Third Strike, since Hyper Street Fighter is nothing more than another port of Super Street Fighter. Anyone who has actually played Hyper would know this. Remember folks, when all else fails, you can always slap out your Xbot card. Works like a charm.
thumbsup.gif

jarrod

Banned
Sorry, didn't mean to upset your delicate self-esteem. I'll fix it..

"So wait, Capcom delivers a SF retro complilation, at a budget price, adds online play... and it's not good enough. You need more "compensation". XBox owners should consider themselves lucky they're even getting the game honestly. Capcom's sales on the platform really don't warrant a port even, quit bitching about it."

...I'm really tired of people bitching about this release though (PS2 owners included). Capcom's giving us the two best 2D fighters ever made, at a budget price, and people still think it isn't good enough. The only people with a right to complain about SFAC should really be GameCube owners...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
CorruptionDee said:
Of course. Because anyone who complains about Capcom releasing a game on-time, as promised, most certainly is an Xbot.
rolleyes2.gif

You must have missed the part where I said I already own both games on the PS2 and Dreamcast. In my opinion, the only game worth owning in the pack is SF3:Third Strike, since Hyper Street Fighter is nothing more than another port of Super Street Fighter. Anyone who has actually played Hyper would know this. Remember folks, when all else fails, you can always slap out your Xbot card. Works like a charm.
thumbsup.gif

To be fair, I dont think Capcom ever promised or said anything at all about an Xbox date. So you can't really say that they didn't put the game out on time, they never really set a date for the Xbox version to begin with. The press release from E3 just says Fall 2003. And even that press release was just a copy and paste of what the PS2 one said, except with some Xbox Live info added. Technically no promises were made or broken, all they said was "Street Fighter Anniversary Collection is scheduled for release throughout North American streets this summer." and then the Xbox press release says "Street Fighter Anniversary Collection is scheduled for release throughout North American streets in the fall 2004." So lots of people have known for awhile that the PS2 would see the collection first. Everyone who thought the Xbox version was coming out in August was just assuming that from the fact the PS2 version comes out that month. I mean no magazine has even had a review for the Xbox version, but there have been several PS2 version reviews. That should have been a clue right there.

I mean the games are out in Japan for the PS2, but not the Xbox. So there is some extra work there...

I don't want to give people the wrong idea, because Capcom pushing the game back doesn't make me livid, it just irks me a little because I had high hopes of playing the game online before Christmas. I always knew that the PS2 version would be released first since Hyper Street Fighter II was released in Japan around December 2003, and Third Strike was released this month in Japan for the PS2. That's fine. To be fair to Capcom, they aren't the only developers guilty of delaying games (Driv3r anyone?). I also agree that $29 is a great price, but to the people who already own the Dreamcast version of Third Strike, you're essentially paying $30 for Third Stike again, with Hyper Street Fighter thrown in as a "bonus". Online play solves this problem, as it creates a whole new realm of replayability. In the end, if Capcom can iron out all the "kinks" here and there, then it will be worth the wait. I hope this delay doesn't have any effect on Capcom's latest 2d fighter (also rumored to be online).

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
CorruptionDee said:
I also agree that $29 is a great price, but to the people who already own the Dreamcast version of Third Strike, you're essentially paying $30 for Third Stike again, with Hyper Street Fighter thrown in as a "bonus". Online play solves this problem, as it creates a whole new realm of replayability. In the end, if Capcom can iron out all the "kinks" here and there, then it will be worth the wait. I hope this delay doesn't have any effect on Capcom's latest 2d fighter (also rumored to be online).

I disagree here. You're paying 30 bucks for Hyper SF2, which is neat little game, the SF2 Anime, which is still entertaining, and a MUCH better version of SF3 3s than the DC had. It's not exactly going to be all that interesting for casual SF fans or new comers, but serious SF3 players are going to love the new version of SF3. It finally plays and looks right, unlike the DC version.

Online for Xbox is great, and that's the compensation for having to wait longer. The package itself (HSF2, Anime, and SF3 3s) is a bargain for SF fans, especially since the DC version of Third Strike is expensive and fairly hard to find for a less than perfect port.

BeOnEdge

Banned
you can bet that halo 2, burnout 3, dead or alive ultimate, mortal kombat, fable , doom 3 and like 5 other games will hurt the sales of SFA. it doenst matter if the genres are different. the only ones that will buy SFA if it were released this fall are the hardcore SF fans. THATS IT. everyone else will be holding there money for one of the above mentioned games. AFTER new years, when the fall media rush has ended, capcom has a better chance at making more money off of the game for xbox. the casuals will then be able to say "oh...i remember street fighter! 29 bux? and LIVE? you mean the same LIVE i bought to play halo 2 and doom 3? wow! i'll take it!" How hard is that to understand. geez.

nitewulf

jarrod said:
Sorry, didn't mean to upset your delicate self-esteem. I'll fix it..

"So wait, Capcom delivers a SF retro complilation, at a budget price, adds online play... and it's not good enough. You need more "compensation". XBox owners should consider themselves lucky they're even getting the game honestly. Capcom's sales on the platform really don't warrant a port even, quit bitching about it."

...I'm really tired of people bitching about this release though (PS2 owners included). Capcom's giving us the two best 2D fighters ever made, at a budget price, and people still think it isn't good enough. The only people with a right to complain about SFAC should really be GameCube owners...

anybody who is planning to slap down money for this game has the right to complain, jarrod.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
isamu said:
Please tell me this is a joke! EB games have Streetfighter Anniv Collection for Xduke listed to ship on 01/11/2005!!! This better be either joke or a fucking typo!!! :mad:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/244228.asp
Just a warning...

If the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection is anything like the Mega Man Anniversary Collection, then that January release date will become February, which will become March, and then June. Don't be suprised if more delays follow.

I blame Capcom USA.... they suck!

Ryu

If the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection is anything like the Mega Man Anniversary Collection, then that January release date will become February, which will become March, and then June. Don't be suprised if more delays follow.

Oh how quickly people forget how long it took for Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO to be released on XBL from Capcom. I think it was delayed like 4 times over the course of a year and a few months, but still -- delays happen. That's life. Yes, I will plunk down 30 for it, yes, I will most likely enjoy it for awhile until the Live! problems apparent in the game start to really bother me and I'll just play offline with friends on the PS2 version (but only because I don't want to use adapters anymore on the Dreamcast and because the PS2 port will look visually superior to 3S on DC since the DC port was pretty lousy graphically for some odd reason despite 2I).

Despite all of this though, the fact of the matter remains -- if Capcom really wants this game to be successful, they need to take a look at what made CvsS2EO bad on XBL in the first place. Anyone can tell you that using the P groove in that game, which is most like the mechanics in SF3 3S, is a disaster. Parrying just doesn't work properly. We're talking about frames for parrying -- literally, and even with very small lag, of which there are only fractions of a second to parry hits, sometimes 2 or 3 or more in a row and you just -- you know what? I don't think it's possible to make this work at all honestly. I don't think even with miniscule lag will this work properly.

Whatever though. Buying the PS2 and Xbox version is no problem for me, especially since both will be spaced that far apart time wise.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ploid 3.0 said:
I was going to post a new topic but when is this game coming out for the PS2? I gotta have it.

August 31st is the shipping date according to Capcom and EBgames.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Fatghost28 said:
...and a MUCH better version of SF3 3s than the DC had. It's not exactly going to be all that interesting for casual SF fans or new comers, but serious SF3 players are going to love the new version of SF3. It finally plays and looks right, unlike the DC version.

..... since the DC version of Third Strike is expensive and fairly hard to find for a less than perfect port.

Hmm, I've never heard this before. I have seen many people claim it is arcade perfect and I have always assumed that was the case. What exactly makes the DC version inferior? Please explain....

Culex

Banned
The only problem the DC version had were that the characters were more pixelated than the arcade. The Xbox version is hardly "MUCH" better.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
isamu said:
Hmm, I've never heard this before. I have seen many people claim it is arcade perfect and I have always assumed that was the case. What exactly makes the DC version inferior? Please explain....

Culex said:
The only problem the DC version had were that the characters were more pixelated than the arcade. The Xbox version is hardly "MUCH" better.

No.

The DC version of SF3 TS has several problems. The graphics, as you mentioned, are not right, because the DC resolution is different than the arcade. This resulted in sprites that were not quite the same dimensions as the arcade and more pixilization than the CPS3 version. The sound is also inaccurate. The DC has an arranged soundtrack which is not universally liked, and the sound effects are lower quality.

The worst problem with the DC version is that the gameplay is not arcade perfect. The unblockables of the arcade were removed, move timings were changed (which negatively impacted many characters like Ken and Dudley among others) and worst of all, there was an input lag which made parrying different and more erratic than in the arcade. Only a serious arcade player would notice these differences, which is why the DC version was largely called a perfect translation (and the DC version of 2nd Impact was arcade perfect). But the PS2 version fixes all of these problems and so is the version to get for serious 3rd strike players.

NotMSRP said:
Is MVC2 bad on XBL like CVS2?

MvC2 is not compatible with Xbox Live.

Top Bottom