• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What were your favorite gameplay and story moments in The Last Guardian?

ScOULaris

Spoilers will not be marked in this thread as it is intended for people who have finished the game.

After acquiring this beauty of a book a few days ago, I've been replaying The Last Guardian for maybe the sixth time now to accompany my read-through. The book is structured as a companion piece of sorts that goes through the events of the game chronologically and sheds light on various details and design intentions from the developers' perspective throughout. There are a number of small revelations and fan-theory confirmations in the book, so if you were unaware of its existence until now I highly recommend it. Future Press really did an excellent job with it, and it's by far the best printed work for Team ICO fans that exists today.

ZnX1tJT.jpg
9b4b0166548ad61b50c77373202aecb9.jpg

Anyway, replaying the game again with this book aiding my appreciation of the game's many successes made me want to take the discussion to GAF. TLG is a flawed masterpiece in my view, and I'd wager that many of you would agree with that assessment. Much like with the original release of Shadow of the Colossus, TLG released with subpar technical performance at times on a base PS4 and sometimes wonky camera/climbing controls. The game's camera has since been drastically improved via a patch, but performance issues still crop up disappointingly during some of the game's most otherwise impressive and captivating setpieces.

But much like with SotC, TLG's special qualities and the overall experience that it provides elevates it high above its handful of technical struggles. Anyone who has finished the game can attest to how it succeeds in making the player care for an AI-governed NPC character (as has become the specialty of Ueda and his team), but I think TLG accomplished this feat even more thoroughly and intensely than in any of Team ICO's previous works. While his AI-driven behaviors (and the varying unpredictability that comes with that) frustrated some players, Trico stands as one of gaming's most unique and believable AI characters ever. Pick at random any YouTube stream of people experiencing the game's final moments, and you'll more likely than not witness the strong emotional impact that the game manages to have on people. The heart of that achievement is the realization of Trico, and at the core of that accomplishment is Ueda's persistence over those nine long years of development fighting to keep his original vision intact in the face of countless setbacks.

But honestly, while Trico rightfully steals the show in most discussions surrounding the game I think that the game's physics-governed puzzles and overall setpiece design and pacing deserve praise as well. The game's level design feels so natural and organic, and many of its puzzles respect the player's intelligence and exploratory tendencies to a degree not seen very often in AAA games anymore. Much as was the case with ICO and SotC, TLG also uses exquisitely framed and constructed cutscenes sparingly, much more often relaying setpiece moments and story events through actual gameplay that doesn't feel all that scripted. These are the kinds of accomplishments that I hope to see highlighted in this thread.

I'll start us off with my favorites:

• Gameplay - I think my favorite section in the game is where the boy and Trico get separated after diving underwater, and then the boy finds himself stumbling upon the lair of the darker Trico. The whole escape sequence with the "evil" Trico hunting you was an awesome subversion of all the interactions we'd had with our Trico up to this point, and it was a genuinely tense and panic-inducing segment. Hopping on his head to clear those gaps on the way up to the area with the hanging cages was a really cool design choice, and I absolutely loved the cage puzzle that follows after you're reunited with Trico after some time has passed. The cage puzzle is a perfect example of how the game designers used procedural animation and physics to govern everything. I don't think it's possible for the physics to allow for the cage to accidentally fall in a way that breaks the sequence of the puzzle or results in death, but the environment itself is designed to invisibly ensure that the cage will proceed along the intended path due to the physics of the scene.
  • Story - The minutes following the second time that Trico succumbs to the mind-control of the antenna rooms when Trico awakens to find the boy pale and motionless. Trico attempting desperately to revive the boy by bringing him to various spots in the nearby area is one of the game's most tenderly moving moments, and it's an important one from a story perspective. At this point it becomes clear how attached Trico had become to the boy who was once merely his ticket to a fresh, tasty barrel being dispensed by the tower's mechanism. Its an exemplary realization of the game's overall theme of companionship between human and animal forming and strengthening over time. It still gets me every time when Trico excitedly bound around once the boy finally awakes after being placed into the shallow puddle. It's also cool that they did this whole scene in gameplay, once again having everything governed by AI and physics rather than a keyframed cutscene. It was like you were watching your AI companion try to save you while you remained unable to move your player character. I don't think this scene would've had the same impact had it been a cutscene in the vain of the village one that preceded it.

dl77

To be honest I'm struggling to remember anything in there that I thought was amazing. As someone who thinks SotC is one of the greatest games ever made I honestly had to force myself to complete TLG.

I don't know if it was the wonky camera, appalling frame rate or having to continually shout at Trico to get it to do anything but I was genuinely underwhelmed. As someone who'd waited nearly ten years for the game I found it crushing that I didn't love the game.

EDIT: One good thing I will mention is how well the architecture of the game was laid out. Reminded me of some of From Software's titles.

I guess I'll have to replay it a fourth time.

My favourite moments were:

- Early in the game where you arrive at an open space and Trico runs to play on the grass and rolls on the water.

- The one you described, the boy unconscious and Trico trying to wake him up, it almost destroyed me.

- Trico's fight and the scene afterwards when you have to feed him to keep him alive.

- The story of when Trico takes the boy out of his village, I think this happen when the boy drowns.

- The whole ending.

Gilby

I like how the storyline had a not-so-subtle metaphor that was basically "fuck corporate". I'm assuming the director was not having fun at Sony by the time they finished working on the project.

The game itself was OK, not as good as the other 2 games in the trilogy but it tried to do some interesting stuff. The AI and pathfinding for Trico was really cool, but the puzzle designs were very basic and some of the level segments were terrible (barrels, minecarts). I was stuck on a super obvious "puzzle" until I looked up the "solution"
you pull the minecart
simply because I couldn't see
the second minecart, due to the lack of lighting on it, it looked like 1 piece

balohna

I really liked a lot of the guard encounters, especially scrambling to make it possible for Trico to save me. The one with spiral stairs and rickety wooden beams was possibly my favourite.

Jawmuncher

The best moment was when it finally ended. I really disliked my time with the game. Mainly in-part due to a lot of inconsistencies with Trico's AI. However, when the ending rolled I still had some emotion for the guy. It was like having a dumb dog that doesn't listen and does the wrong thing for years. A pain in the ass to be sureZ But at the end of it all, that's your dumb dog and no one can take that from you.

dl77

The best moment was when it finally ended. I really disliked my time with the game. Mainly in-part due to a lot of inconsistencies with Trico's AI. However, when the ending rolled I still had some emotion for the guy. It was like having a dumb dog that doesn't listen and does the wrong thing for years. A pain in the ass to be sureZ But at the end of it all, that's your dumb dog and no one can take that from you.

Yup, that's pretty much how I felt. I liked the Trico character and I appreciate what the team did to get it to work as well as it (mostly) did but I really had to force myself to complete the game in case it has an ending that was as powerful to me as the one in SotC, which it didn't.

Iksenpets

Banned
My favorite was the one guard encounter where Trico manages to charge them even though they have the eye shields because he wants to protect the boy so much 😭

ScOULaris

My favorite was the one guard encounter where Trico manages to charge them even though they have the eye shields because he wants to protect the boy so much 😭

That is an awesome scene. A real breakthrough moment for Trico, and a technically impressive one as well given the number of guards and the amount of destruction that ensues with not much of a hit to the framerate.

Then the next scene happens where Trico pseudo-flies for the first time and the framerate tanks on a base PS4, haha.

Karkador

Banned
I found the game very engrossing, and it's hard to pick from so many moments.

In gameplay, I think the part where you're walking on those dangling structures (they look like those mobiles you hang over a crib). Heights and tightrope-walking in videogames is nothing new, but this part was really intense and gut-churning because of the architecture of the place and how they created the ambience.

I also liked the wheelbarrow part where you're supposed to line it up to get Trico to smack it, so you fly upwards. The way they built that segment really surprised me, because there's nothing else like it in the game, but Trico playing with the thing and then discovering its function felt pretty natural.

Story-wise, this is really hard, because the story and the emotion packed into each scene easily tops the other two games, by a mile. Even the times Trico gets into a fight with the guards, it's kind of a complex mix of relief and horror as you watch these things get destroyed by your snarling friend.

sublimit

Banned
I have too many moments carved deep in my memories from this game so it's very hard to choose one and even harder to explain why.Gameplay/aesthetics and story moments blended seamlesly in my mind.I felt as if i was there from start to finish.

StarPhlox

I think the game was just long enough before it started to wear out its welcome towards the end.

Favorite gameplay was when I had to start breaking evil eye shields so Trico could attack them and then favorite story portion was the ending which made me tear up :')

Timeaisis

Two best moments were:
-the part where Trico saves you from evil Trico
-that part where you think you might be able to jump the bridge gap but not really and you try it anyway and it works.

Timeaisis

You mean like the part from the E3 demo?

No, sorry. There was a part pretty late in the game where you have to do a lot of Trico platforming up these very large towers. You get to a portion where there is (was) an incredibly long bridge that is out that leads to a tower you presumably need to get to. You basically command Trico to jump, and he does this running jump into a fluttering glide to the tower. It was pretty great.

Plenty of moments. But the few that stood out to me:

-When you finally reach the top of this ruined tower midgame and Trico is standing on the very top, and the entire thing starts tipping over and collapsing. And Trico glides just long enough to grab onto the edge of a cliff... before getting punched in the face by the other Trico. Stunning set piece.

-When you climb up a Trico's tail after you get separated, and for a moment you think it's Trico, but then the music becomes more ominous, and a Trico with a mask rears his head. That was super chilling.

-The Trico v Trico fight is one of the rawest brawls I've ever seen in a videogame. Just a brutal battle.

The part where you go into that tunnel, Trico follows you, you hold the gate open for him, and he gets stuck.
That got me. I honestly thought the game could've ended there, and that would've destroyed me.

The part where you go into that tunnel, Trico follows you, you hold the gate open for him, and he gets stuck.
That got me. I honestly thought the game could've ended there, and that would've destroyed me.

I hate that moment because you need to leave in order to progress.
The boy just leaves like "oh well, nothing I can do about it, good bye".

I hated it.

Many of the set-pieces struck a real chord with me. The crumbling bridge and the way Trico's head appears into frame at the last second to pluck the boy from falling to his death had me gasping. I got really claustrophobic at the part in the mines where Trico is squeezing through the tunnel and the roof caves in, to the point where I was actually feeling physically discomforted by it. That whole sequence made me realise I may have a genuine phobia of small spaces; I seriously never had a reaction of that ilk from a video game before. And then of course there's the section in front of the white tower where the boy gets abducted by a large group of those sentries, and Trico says "fuck it," breaks video game conventions and smashes through the glass eyes to wreck shit up and save the boy.

The thing with The Last Guardian is that the set-pieces themselves aren't particularly showy or extravagant, especially compared to what you'd expect from the likes of Uncharted or Tomb Raider, but because those sequences revolve primarily around the emotional bond between the two main characters and how Trico reacts in the face of things going wrong, they resonate in such a strong and impactful way that made them more memorable for me.

I really don't think I can point to any particular "story moments", because every goddamn interaction with Trico pulled at my heart. I've never felt so connected to a fictional animal and I'll always remember this game as a result. The story/gameplay fell flat for me in certain places, but they made Trico feel real and that's what matters to me.

ScOULaris

The thing with The Last Guardian is that the set-pieces themselves aren't particularly showy or extravagant, especially compared to what you'd expect from the likes of Uncharted or Tomb Raider, but because those sequences revolve primarily around the emotional bond between the two main characters and how Trico reacts in the face of things going wrong, they resonate in such a strong and impactful way that made them more memorable for me.

Yeah, I feel the same way. And they manage to maintain player agency as well or better than other masterful examples like Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us. The setpieces manage to be emotionally resonant, technically impressive (albeit hampered by the framerate drops on base PS4), and involving. They're really underrated, I feel.

Some of the most visually impressive moments were borderline ruined for me the first time through, however. The FPS drops on my base PS4 were so distracting during those more demanding moments that they really detracted from them. It boils my blood that the game only runs at a proper 30fps on the Pro. That's not how the base/pro paradigm is supposed to work.

wapplew

Best gameplay moments, giant glass eye platforming and Trico make water rise puzzle.
Favorite story moments....hmmm they all quite sad and happy moments don't have story. So no?

Best game in the trilogy. Even SotC felt a little flat after this tour de force.

Actually this game ruined Inside for me because I started playing it right after TLG.

I loved the sweet revenge against the warriors near the end of the game. Trico's tail hanging down the hole and me blasting away every single one of them.

The puzzles are among the best and most intuitive in all of gaming as well. From the top of my head: the moment where you reach a platform using the water displaced by the beast.

The story is masterfully "told" over the course of the game. Everything about it is a dream come true, when I think about it. Closest thing to a Ghibli movie we'll get.

A masterpiece.

StoneFox

My favorite part is Toriko playing in the water. It's such an innocent and carefree moment. I had a personal theory that Toriko dislikes water because of the night where he got jolted by lightning and thus needed the boy to prove that the first pool of water was indeed safe.

So many memorable moments.

In terms of story/cutscenes, aside from the ending (obviously), I was gut-punched by Toriko attempting to "revive" the boy. This was the moment where it really hit home how strong a bond had been formed.

I loved the water physics puzzle, and the Shadow of the Colossus-like escape from the berserk Toriko.

Honestly, a lot of the game's best moments take place in the in-betweens — those quiet moments where you're simply existing with this larger-than-life creature.

see5harp

Much of the gameplay and puzzle design was sorta boring to me. The best parts were the cinematic moments mixed with the amazing music and animation. I sorta wish there was more of that stuff that happened at the end of the game.

So many memorable moments.

In terms of story/cutscenes, aside from the ending (obviously), I was gut-punched by Toriko attempting to "revive" the boy. This was the moment where it really hit home how strong a bond had been formed.

I loved the water physics puzzle, and the Shadow of the Colossus-like escape from the berserk Toriko.

Honestly, a lot of the game's best moments take place in the in-betweens — those quiet moments where you're simply existing with this larger-than-life creature.
+1 to those and the ending was brutal

I bought the le after already playing through the regular loved it that much

Beautiful game. Really can't point to a single moment to call out. But the whole game had me more attached to an npc than anything in a long time. Gotta do a second playthrough soon.

Reedirect

- The whole ending sequence
- Bridge set-piece
- The amazing water level puzzle - the only puzzle in a videogame ever that made me smile when I figured it out.

ScOULaris

- The amazing water level puzzle - the only puzzle in a videogame ever that made me smile when I figured it out.
I figured that one out quickly, but the wagon catapult puzzle took me a while to solve and brought a smile to my face once the solution came to me.

Top Bottom