• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the last game to get a marketing push like Halo 2?

Odysseus

Banned
Movie trailers, product tie-ins, and now this:

slurpeecups2.jpg

slurpeecups1.jpg

May not seem like much, but there's still 41 days to go before the game launches.

I'm just wondering.

Odysseus

Banned
Tritroid said:
Marketing push? I actually haven't really seen much 'push' for Halo 2.

Don't underestimate the power of the slurpee.

I want one of those cups, I don't even have a 7-11 in my area...

Lil' Dice

Banned
I've been around a while, and haven't seen this much cross-promotion for a video game title. Maybe Super Mario 2 or 3, but back then i wasn't paying attention to boring shit like marketing, sales numbers and game reviews.

GhaleonEB

In related news....Halo 2 is amost gold.....

http://halo.bungie.org/oldnews.html?item=10692

Narcogen, over at Rampancy.net, noticed a new update to the blog of Mat Noguchi, ToolMaster for the Halo 2 team. (I think I heard someone shortening that a bit, at one point...) Sounds like they're really winding down - we're close to the Gold announcement! An interesting 'bit of trivia', as well: "Legendary is hard. Really really really hard. Adamantium hard." Hehe - I wonder if we'll all feel the same way in 2 years?

*dances*

Insertia said:
I haven't seen anything related to Halo2 outside of this forum.
Same here. But I don't really care about Halo 2 at all, so maybe I'm just not paying enough attention to notice this "push." I'm sure it's there, though.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Odysseus said:
Movie trailers, product tie-ins, and now this:

slurpeecups2.jpg

slurpeecups1.jpg

May not seem like much, but there's still 41 days to go before the game launches.

I'm just wondering.

Hey, even your avatar is pushing Halo 2! How about that!

Fifty

Insertia said:
I haven't seen anything related to Halo2 outside of this forum.

I saw a Halo 2 trailer at Toronto's biggest movie theater. I'd say that was a big push, and that was over a month ago. Stores are pimping it like mad..It'll be interesting to see what the next month brings in terms of marketing (besides slurpee cups)

GhaleonEB

Fifty said:
I saw a Halo 2 trailer at Toronto's biggest movie theater. I'd say that was a big push, and that was over a month ago. Stores are pimping it like mad..It'll be interesting to see what the next month brings in terms of marketing (besides slurpee cups)

Microsoft (okay, Peter Moore) has described the upcoming campaign as 'event move-like' - and it looks like it's on that track, with theatrical teasers and Slurpee cups and all.

Can't wait for the new trailers. When is X04 again?

Odysseus

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
In related news....Halo 2 is amost gold.....

http://halo.bungie.org/oldnews.html?item=10692

Narcogen, over at Rampancy.net, noticed a new update to the blog of Mat Noguchi, ToolMaster for the Halo 2 team. (I think I heard someone shortening that a bit, at one point...) Sounds like they're really winding down - we're close to the Gold announcement! An interesting 'bit of trivia', as well: "Legendary is hard. Really really really hard. Adamantium hard." Hehe - I wonder if we'll all feel the same way in 2 years?

*dances*

Did someone say.... g.. g... gold?

Soon?

*dies*

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Pokemon has had several kid's meals and cups, its own TV show, card games, and all kinds a merchandised junk. Who needs a movie trailer when you have your own movie?

Nintendo also has fast-food & soda promotions, and movie trailers every year... though they are not always tied to a single game.

So far, the only thing that has been "out of the ordinary" for a major game release has been the slurpee cups (movies often appear on them, but this is a first for a game [that I know of]). Everything else, including ilovebees.com, has been done.

jedimike

Odysseus said:
Avatar nothing, you should see the wallpaper on my cell phone!

;)

Share the love...

Halo 2's add campaign falls short of Star Wars but ahead of Warcraft III, which had a huge marketing budget.

Top Bottom