• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most you've paid for a single videogame?

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
What’s the most expensive video game you ever bought?

I think the most expensive thing I ever bought --> $110 for Call of Duty Infinite Warfare legacy pro edition at GameStop.

What van I say, I used to be a hardcore CoD head. 🤷‍♂️

clarky

Gold Member
Probably Destiny1/2.

+Every dlc and season. Don't want to add it all up I may puke.

Edit:

From reddit: $750 +tax. Thats not including every time i switch platforms, i had D1 on Xbox and PS, D2 on PS and PC also so closer to $1000.

Destiny 1 Year 1​

• Destiny 1: $59.99
  • Destiny 1 Expansion Pass (Dark Below + House of Wolves): $34.99
  • Destiny 1 Limited Edition (bundled): $99.99
  • Destiny 1 Digital Guardian Edition (bundled) $89.99

Destiny 1 Year 2​

• Taken King: $39.99

Destiny 1 Year 3​

• Rise of Iron: $29.99

Destiny 2 Year 1​

• Destiny 2: $59.99
  • Destiny 2 Expansion Pass (Curse of Osiris + Warmind): $39.99
  • bundled together: $89.99
  • Limited Edition/Digital Deluxe Edition: $99.99

Destiny 2 Year 2​

• Forsaken: $39.99
  • Forsaken Annual Pass (Seasons: Forge, Drifter, Opulence): $34.99
  • Forsaken + Annual Pass: $69.99

Destiny 2 Year 3​

• Shadowkeep: $34.99
  • Shadowkeep Digital Deluxe (all seasons): $59.99

Destiny 2 Year 4​

• Beyond Light: $39.99
  • Beyond Light + 1 Season: $49.99
  • Beyond Light Digital Deluxe (all seasons): $69.99
  • 30th Anniversary Pack (stand alone): $24.99

Destiny 2 Year 5​

• Witch Queen: $39.99
  • Witch Queen Deluxe (all seasons + dungeons): $79.99
  • Witch Queen Deluxe + 30th Anniv.: $99.99

Destiny 2 Year 6​

• Lightfall: $49.99
  • Lightfall + Annual Pass (all seasons + dungeons): $99.99

Destiny 2 Year 7​

• The Final Shape: $49.99
  • The Final Shape + Annual Pass (all episodes + dungeons): $99.99
So before any sort of tax, the most efficient combination to have owned and played all content (including past seasons) as they came out:

Up to Lightfall: $649.91

Including TFS: $749.90

That's not accounting for any microtransaction spending of course. And tax. And that's all USD, bought in the US prices, not converted in any way. So on average about $74.99/year, or ~$6.25/month pre-tax to play everything when broken down into continuous payments over a 10 year span.

Edit: Corrected numbers due to incorrect Beyond Light Deluxe price.

Yep I'm off to puke. How are these cunts in the red again?

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
January 2018 and it was worth it.

H7h8wpb.jpeg

Got Pokemon XD for £65. It's now worth over £200.

simpatico

Gold Member
Hundred ish? DLC heavy games like Forza, Fallout, TES, Souls Ring. Got a few SNES and Gensis carts that were close to that.

Holammer

KOF94 at release for the Neogeo. Can't remember the price, but in the 200$ vicinity (2000:- Swedish kr), I think?
Sounds low, but adjust for inflation and that's around 420$

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Hailing from Argentina: with shipping and import duties, 280 bucks for a limited version of Labyrinth of Refrain for Switch a few months ago. Locally, 140 bucks for Mortal Kombat 2 for SNES on release day (304 bucks adjusted for inflation).

Last edited:

Three

I paid something like £80 for DK64 on release day in 1999 as a kid. Which is approx like paying £150 today. Felt like I was getting ripped off but I was hyped for that game badly.

When Rock Band 1 was released the instrument bundle was delayed for a number of months in Canada so I imported one from the US through a local game shop. I don't remember how much we paid but I believe it was an extra $60 or so over the MSRP

I bought the Gears of War 3 XBox 360 special edition for like £450 or something. As for a game or a special edition of a game, probably the same game, but it came with a statue and other goodies, was about £120 or something.
I bought the GTA IV special edition, came with a duffle bag, lockbox (still have it), map, and other stuff. Think it was close to or over £100 (memory ain't to clear on that)
I imported Silent Hill Homecoming from the U.S., and the price got stupid. Was about $50 feom GameStop, then got charged for using my card outside of the country, so another, roughly, $8. THEN, I got slapped with an import tax of about £28 / $60 ish. So all in all, it cost me about £78 for a game that was sold for £40.
Also bought the Duke Nukem Forever special edition which came with a bust of Dukes head and don't remember what else, cost a fair bit, not including the disappointment tax.

Thinking about it, games on their own used cost me £65-70 when the 360 was fresh out, but they eventually dropped soon enough to around £50 in store (online shopping wasn't that big for me back then) Was crazy expensive, but at least I could trade in old games for credit. The absolute worst game I've ever ever ever bought and tried to play was £70 and it was called Vampire Rain. I was between jobs too so it hurt so bad. Good times...

MiguelItUp

Likely a Collector's Edition of a game. I'm not sure what their MSRP at launch was. Whatever one of the pricier ones was.

But Fortnite is getting pretty up there with what it has accrued from me I'm sure.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Imported the HK version of DJMAX respect and have bought all DLC tracks at launch, so that's probably £280 on one game since 2017.

StereoVsn

I have bought some retro games for PSX, PS2, Dreamcast, GameCube, etc… that have been relatively costly.

Hmm… probably the highest was Persona 2 Eternal Punishment on PSX. But even that was maybe $200ish? Don’t remember as it’s been a while.

I haven’t gone super crazy on retro games and thankfully either bought the stuff I wanted before last few years or didn’t attempt to (Saturn US games).

Edit: Actually I probably paid the most for EU4 over the years, lol. So many expansions and DLCs.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

180€ for Starcraft 2 if you dont want to count it as 3 games, otherwise 170€ for Planet Zoo Ultimate edition

i am too scared to look up how much ive paid for Total War Warhammer DLCs

Corian33

I’ve bought a few $100 packs over the years. I think the first was Galactic Civilizations 3 founders edition, which netted me the game plus every DLC they would ever make for the game. Which turned out to be a LOT of DLC, and it gave me a smile every time I got an email saying there was some new DLC and I owned it already. Went on for several years.

Plus the game was decent enough. Worth it.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I paid $100 for the Tekken 8 deluxe edition when it released. Rare that I pay more than that for any one game.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

You wild for this lol

I got the steelbook version, but I think it was like a pre-order bonus or something.

edit. ok, it actually was some pre-order bonus from Amazon that I got

vr4gBjA.png

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
If you count all of the controllers I’ve burned through, plus accessories/extra copies/extra consoles for tourneys, I’ve easily spent over $1500 on Smash Bros Melee.

But I’ve also played that game for over 10,000 hours, so I’d say it’s worth it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not all of it as my brothers chipped in, but back in the day Phantasy Star II and Sword of Vermilion were $120 CDN each.

Genesis games were $70-90 each, but these bigger meg/battery back up games early on were jacked up. I dont think any Genesis games broke $100 after that even if it was bigger cartridges.

I never bought it, but when Super Mario 3 came out, stores in the US got it first. Back then, US often got games faster than Canada. Some some mom and pop game stores bought some from Buffalo and resold them locally for $150 CDN. lol

Last edited:

Larxia

I think it's probably the collector edition of the first Assassin's Creed, which was 90€. I was extremely hyped for the game.

It's crazy when I think of my days playing on console (mostly ps2 and ps3), when I used to buy games at full price every now and then.
Now that I'm on PC the idea would never cross my mind unless it's REALLY something special. I usually only buy games at 30€ max, but most of the time even lower :pie_gsquint: I just became really patient and never buy into the "hype".

Edit: Oh actually no! If we count accessories and everything, then it's definitely Rock Band 2. The game + all accessories + some DLC, probably put between 200 and 250€ into it.

Last edited:

hlm666

Neo Geo carts here in australia circa 1990 were around 300aud, I had the console and packin game one for a few months after pestering parents for one for xmas and got one game for my bday but I had to add in the money I had saved from my selling news papers gig after school. I ended up selling it to buy a megadrive so I could get more games even if the games didn't look as good ;) I think games for that were about 60-80aud at the time, whatever they were it was substantially less the the neogeo.

Astral Dog

$70-$100

i never bought a 'collectors' edition even if Capcom makes cool ones ,but they are too expensive🤭

$70 was for RE Village deluxe version,RE4R+Ada dlc as well and $100 is like ,when i buy a game day one + the expansion pass, not that common last one was Fire Emblem Engage

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have bought quite a few Deluxe Editions for $89-$99. Back before that started I spent $100 on Marvel vs Capcom 2 on PS2 at EB Games, $100 for a physical copy of Planescape Torment, and then the Legendary Edition of Halo 3. I forgot how much that cost me. Lately I bought the CE for Shadow of the Erdtree which was around $286, which was more than I paid for Panzer Dragoon Saga ($120) at the time. I have the CE of Elden Ring from 2022 too. I also bought SFIV and the Tournament Edition of the stick. I had Super, Arcade Edition, and Ultra editions on launch. Like I said I also got deluxe editions of SF6 and Tekken 8, so spending close to $100 is not surprising. It has to be something special to spend over $100.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

Gold Member
Probably all and any PlayStation 2 games in 2000/2001, adjusted to inflation. I think something like Zone of the Enders was 75 euros, which would be 126 euros today.

Podge

Neo Member
What’s the most expensive video game you ever bought?

I think the most expensive thing I ever bought --> $110 for Call of Duty Infinite Warfare legacy pro edition at GameStop.

What van I say, I used to be a hardcore CoD head. 🤷‍♂️
I paid around $90 USD at GameStop for a “new” copy of Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii, back in 2014. When the N3DS port was announced, I flipped the Wii copy on Amazon. I bought another Wii copy on Amazon recently for significantly less, like €15 (I moved from the US to Europe in the interim).

Top Bottom