• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most you've paid for a single videogame?

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Destiny 2 if we include expansions and various mtx (easily $400+ there).

If we're talking about a single game purchase, then it's the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster physical for Switch, which cost me €120 (tax included).

41KLmco0XoL.jpg

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think for initial purchase, the most ever was $145 for Escape for Tarkov Edge of Darkness edition.

Most money spent on a specific game throughout it's lifetime is probably Valorant. They track your spending and you can look it up. I've spent $467. 14.

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

World of warships - I probably have a grand into..been playing since the beta

Next game would be battlefield 4
Bought the top editions for pc and Xbox 360 and then upgraded it for the Xbox one

Rodolink

270euro for breath of the wild, got european and American special editions just because they were different, and got standard wiiu disc bcs had no switch at the time.
both special editions are safe on their boxes opened once. really what a waste of money, not gonna do that again.

cireza

Gold Member
Invested around 300$ maybe 3 times for some oldies (Snatcher on SEGA CD). It was many years ago.

Muffdraul

I've imported a few "premium box" limited edition dealies from Japan. Metal Gear Solid 1, Xenosaga 1 and 2... I don't remember how much I paid for them. The Xenosagas must have been at least $200 each? I bought all of them upon release so it was basically whatever the JP retail price was + whatever the shop added as their importer fee.

AndrewRyan

Forgot about all the tables purchased for Pinball FX3 over the years. Had to 'have them all' and although they were all on sale, probably spent close to $80 total.

Dorago

Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete on the PS1. ~$70 (I can't find listings to confirm this.)

Destiny 2 and its first expansion. $60+$20

Elden Ring and Erdtree $70+$30

Two most expensive: loose cart Harvest Moon for $150, and the PS3 pack-in Uncharted for ~$535.

King Dazzar

Just some ultimate edition of far cry probably. But I've bought multiple consoles primarily just for one game. Especially in the past. For example CD32 just for XCOM.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
at this point, probably FFXI and XIV. the subs and the games/expansions all together should be a pretty hefty sum by now. but it's still worth it for me.

Power Pro

Most likely Final Fantasy XI. Played for years at $13 a month, plus all the expansions, and buying it on all platforms.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I paid $50 for a copy of Skyrim when it was fairly new. Now I usually don't touch games till they've been out for a couple years and are steeply discounted, unless I have access through family sharing. I'm very patient and cheap.

DryvBy

I bought some collectors editions before. Doom Eternal was the most expensive and I didn't even keep it because I felt guilty having a cool helmet. Sold it for more than I paid but got to keep the steelbook and game lol

Other than that, $80.

Synless

Probably something in the 90’s when game prices were all over the place.

highest price now is whatever $69.99 was for FF:Rebirth day one. Otherwise most are sale prices because my backlog is huge as it is, very few franchises get a day one from me.

Last edited:

Crayon

~$100.

Oddly, now that I think about it, I have a lot that were $100. Why nothing $120 or $150? I must have some subconscious thing about spending more.

Toons

Destiny extracted a lot of money out of me over the years when I was an active player.

I even bought one of the DLCs and never even played it. I could use that 70 back

BlackTron

Probably Rockband 3 due to all the peripherals. If we're talking just the game, I think Mario RPG which was $80 in 1996...which might be highest dollar amount before you even factor inflation which makes it insane lol.

CHEROKEEE

Joined the 'NEOGEO Masterrace' back in 1991 and yeah... new releases like Art of Fighting or Last Resort would usually cost me the same as a complete SNES System... o_O but having full blown arcade games at home was AWESOME... so, no regrets although I literally lost THOUSANDS when selling it all years later in a haste way under value... *shrug*

Last edited:

Hoddi

0Onx0Y1.png

I paid ~8000ISK for Super Star Wars back in 1993. That's like $200 in today's money and I think it radicalized me.

I've still paid 80€ for the occasional new game that comes out. But I usually wait for them to drop.

Last edited:

Seraphym

I want to say steel battalion but rock band might have beaten that price.
I dropped on Steel Battalion a great peripheral, Rock Band managed to get the drum set in a sale.

I remember Samba De Amigo on the Dreamcast being expensive at the time, think I paid £80.

ScHlAuChi

I got given a copy of that for free. In 2000 for context.
Thats one hell of a deal! Whoever gave it to you probably regrets it now ;)
Unfortunately there is alot of bootlegs of this game nowadays, so one needs to be careful.
I bought it on Yahoo Auctions earlier this year when the Yen was down, so it was still relatively cheap for a complete copy with all extras intact ;)

Last edited:
$70 for third party Super Nintendo games (inflation adjusted $170). This was normal back then, and I don't remember much complaining. Many of them were worth it, though. I don't expect that much quality out of most games today.

Esca

Steel battalion. It was$200 at launch (still have it and oh Xbox to play it. Otherwise probably wow since I had collectors edition for the base game and the first 3 expansions plus monthly fee.

raduque

Largest single purchase was probably the Doom 2016 CE. I think it was $110-120?

464px-DoomWiki.org_DCE_2016_Full.jpg

Not my pic.

Last edited:

Garnox

$100 for digital deluxe versions of games or Destiny annual expansions. Don't think I've gone over that. Actually...hold on. I just remembered the Rock Band instrument bundle. Was that like $250????

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Destiny 2 if we include expansions and various mtx (easily $400+ there).

If we're talking about a single game purchase, then it's the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster physical for Switch, which cost me €120 (tax included).

41KLmco0XoL.jpg

😶

Last edited:
I paid $100 recently for a complete copy of Einhander. It's the most I've ever spent by far. Second was $75 for a complete-in-box Steel Battalion game/controller. That one was a pretty worthwhile "investment."

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

😶
I know about the playasia listing lol. I bought it locally for around €20 more because I could get it faster. Gonna grab the PS4 one too now that it's receiving a retail release. :p

I paid $260 for the Horizon Forbidden West Regalla Edition. Came with a fancy Mechanical Elephant statue.

I regret it though. Can't sell it for more than $50 on ebay now.

Top Bottom