• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most you've paid for a single videogame?

Paasei

WoW + game time + all expansions until BfA = a lot of money spent over the course of 17 - 18 years. Don’t know the exact prize.

DelireMan7

Not much. I guess 90-100 € for some DS game like Radiant Historia or Chrono Trigger.

I paid 500 euros for a sealed copy of Castlevania Symphony of The Night, PAL version. I'm so happy I did.
Out of curiosity : did you open it and played it ?

TheSweeper

I buy a lot of Collector's Editions. They tend to be around € 300. So it's probably one of those. Cyberpunk or Horizon Forbidden West come to mind.

Denton

Cyberpunk 2077 Collector's Edition was €300 and worth every penny (played it on PC without any technical problems, was my 2020 GOTY).

Second would be probably Witcher 3 CE, similar deal. Third and fourth are probably CEs of RDR2 and Kingdom Come.

Bridges

It's definitely gotta be Rock Band for me, all the content carried forward until the end so it can technically count as a "single game".

For the games themselves there's Rock Band 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + Lego + Green Day + Track Pack Vol. 2 + Classic Rock Track Pack + AC/DC Track Pack discs
Add Rock Band Blitz to that as well, not including The Beatles since it was fully standalone.

Plus the fee to export the songs to the newer version which I think was $5 for 1, $10 for 2 & Lego, $15 for 3 and free for the rest (Green Day Rock Band was the more expensive special edition that came with a free export and more songs).

Then there's the hardware. Rock Band Band-In-A-Box bundle at launch. Then needed an extra guitar. Bought the Keyboard for RB3. Then later got the Pro Drums that came with cymbals. Then upgraded to a real e-kit which needed the MIDI adaptor. Bought a second MIDI adapter cause the first one broke. Then the PDP adaptor that lets you use the MIDI adaptor on XB1.

And finally there's the DLC. Somewhere north of 1500 songs and all of them that weren't exported had to be purchased. Each song is $2 each but since a lot of them were from bundles or sales it's impossible to do any accurate math on that but it's quite a bit I'm sure.

It gets even more ridiculous when I think about how I also had the Guitar Hero games and instruments up to a certain point and was paying for DLC and imports for that series too, though on a much smaller scale to what was being put into Rock Band.

hinch7

World of Warcraft once you factor in all the expansions and monthly subs.

Last edited:

anthony2690

£150 for the limited edition of muchi muchi pork and pink sweets from playasia when it came out on Xbox 360.

I absolutely hated pink sweets :(

I quite liked muchi muchi pork though. :)

But pretty much everything else by CAVE was much much better imo. (Mushimesama Futari 1.5, espgaluda 2, dodonpachi resurrection, saidaijoioui, deathsmiles, akai katana, guwange etc etc)

Roberts

I've played Lord of the Rings Online a lot back in the day. I vaguely remember choosing a lifetime subscription and it must have been around 200 bucks + the game itself.

I paid about $300 USD for the Dracula's Tomb version of Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 2.

Being an American, not only was this edition of the game quite pricey, but I had to pay the huge EU VAT and then a good $50 in shipping on top of that to get it over here.

Technically, I paid more like $370 when all was said and done, as that got me a shiny PAL edition of the game I couldn't play properly here, so I had to buy a vanilla NTSC copy here in the States on top of that which was $60 before MSRP.

I migrated my NTSC copy into the steelbook and put the PAL copy into the standard plastic case. Which is probably floating around somewhere? Having bought the NA Collector's Edition of LOS1 and a physical copy of Mirror Of Fate for the 3DS, i actually managed to get Dracula's Tomb to hold the entire trilogy for me.

Last edited:

SHA

With taxes I think it's MKX, without taxes Black Ops III, on franchise I think it's Resident Evil, any resident evil game is breathtaking for me, it makes me forget about the shit happening in the industry.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Not sure, but I’d guess between $150-200 for some special/limited edition(s).

Last edited:

CashPrizes

I like to think when I paid $80 for Phantasy Star IV in 1995, that was the most I have ever paid for just a game. No giant collectors art book or soundtrack or statue, just the game in a box with a manual. $80 in February 1995 is the equivalent $167 dollars today. I also paid $70 for Chrono Trigger but that was a year later.

For literal actual paid cash money and including collectors edition swag, Cyberpunk and Star Wars: The Old Republic Collectors editions were both $250. Came in huge boxes with a statue and a bunch of other stuff. I think those are the only two $250 I have bought, I would have bought the Witcher 3's if given the chance.

DrMano

Neo Member
$50 for battlefield bad company 2 with employee discount in 2010.

I always buy games for a fraction of their price.

TheStam

Europa Universalis 4. Probably 200 EUR+ due to their ridiculous DLC pricing. "Oh but it pays to keep the game getting free updates". I am sure it does and more!

Last edited:
League of Legends. Never paid a dime but the amount of rage inducing waste of time matches due to trolls or afks over the years....and well, time is money.

Alan Wake

Retro or new? I can spend quite a lot on retro games. Deep Fear for Saturn was about $300.

New games - does collector's editions count? $350 for Resident Evil 4 CE. Roughly the same for Starfield Constellation Edition as well as TLOU2 CE (my only regret since I didn't enjoy the game that much).

PeteBull

Gold Member
Easily WoW+ its expacks, i stopped playing right before pandas so still got cataclysm , dunno total how much it was, maybe 300-400 euro or so.
In my defense i played that game exclusively few solid years(even changed pc for it so add another 800 euro or so, coz old one was too weak even for burning crusade expack or alterac valley ;)

Dr. Suchong

£50 plus on first party (physical) Nintendo titles.
No point hanging around, waiting for a sale price.
There'll never be one. Greedy twats.
Otherwise I'm quite thrifty and always chance upon a bargain.

Arioco

Not much. I guess 90-100 € for some DS game like Radiant Historia or Chrono Trigger.

Out of curiosity : did you open it and played it ?

Of course I didn't. Why would I do that? xD Besides, I already had an open copy and a NTSC-U copy (which I prefer because it's 60hz),.

e7xWSOD.jpeg

OPOUD2x.jpeg

ssringo

World of Warcraft. Played it consistently for almost a decade. Rough estimate would be ~$2000 between monthly sub and expansions.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
As two other already said, about 2k on WoW over the years.

DelireMan7

Of course I didn't. Why would I do that? xD Besides, I already had an open copy and a NTSC-U copy (which I prefer because it's 60hz),.

e7xWSOD.jpeg

OPOUD2x.jpeg
Ok. I understand the whole "sealed" copy appeal for a collection but it's not a thing that matters to me.
Game are to be played. I couldn't keep a game sealed xD

But I get its a thing in the high value collecting world. Nice for you that you could get a sealed copy :)
So you basically get it for potential resale value later ? Or pure pleasure to have it sealed ?

Arioco

Ok. I understand the whole "sealed" copy appeal for a collection but it's not a thing that matters to me.
Game are to be played. I couldn't keep a game sealed xD

But I get its a thing in the high value collecting world. Nice for you that you could get a sealed copy :)
So you basically get it for potential resale value later ? Or pure pleasure to have it sealed ?

I've NEVER sold a game from my collection. It's just a little gem I like to treasure.

I guess that if I really needed the money, and ran out of kidneys to sell... I would consider the possibility. 🤔

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
WoW + game time + all expansions until BfA = a lot of money spent over the course of 17 - 18 years. Don’t know the exact prize.

WoW has got to be my answer as well. Been playing since the beta, have Collector's Editions of all expansions + original. Store mounts, etc. Tons of money.

DelireMan7

I've NEVER sold a game from my collection. It's just a little gem I like to treasure.

I guess that if I really needed the money, and ran out of kidneys to sell... I would consider the possibility. 🤔
I get the feeling.
I like having physical copy of games, especially old one. I know I could just emulate or play some cheap digital rerelease but it gives me a lot of pleasure to play them on original material.
But so far I don't see myself spending more than 100/150 euros on a game.

Mobilemofo

£75.00 for an import copy of street fighter 2 : Hyper Fighting for the SNES. Great fuckin times man. Great times.

AndrewRyan

$70 for R&C Rift Apart or Returnal for the PS5 near launch. That extra $10 still bugs. Double-dipped on both for pc.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
I just ordered the Collector's Edition of Metaphore and that was a $150.

So, that is probably it. I splurged.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Part of the problem with Collector's editions are that they are too damn big.

I got the Skyrim collector's edition and the Witcher 3 Collector's edition and the boxes are huge.

Lusal

Neo Member
1993 - Dragon Ball Z : Super Butoden for the Super Famicom. This Japanese import cost $125 USD ($270 adjusted for inflation in 2024).

My room mate and I went half and half and bought it. Seemed like it took forever to get delivered.

We had our SNES hooked up to a Pioneer receiver with some rather large Advent floor standing speakers. The echoes of KAMEHAMEHAAAA! reverberated through the college quad. We had a lot of walk in and drop by visitors that year.

We were flexing a full setup with a Sega Genesis & Sega CD, SNES and a PC with an Intel 486DX processor.

Good times.

soulbait

I got Conker's Bad Furday N64 on release day for I think $95. That is around $168 in 2024.

I still have it and I heard copies of it sell for a lot. Maybe it was a worthwhile investment :D

Gameboy415

I think the most I've ever dropped on a 'standard' game was $189.75 for Cubivore back in 2019 and prior to that was about $150 for Panzer Dragoon Saga in 2004. (No regrets!!)
I've also bought a handful of the bigger Limited Run Games Collector's Editions, the most expensive of which was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge Radical Edition for Switch ($199.99).

Top Bottom