• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

Burger

catfish said:
day four, we finished 10 minutes before the end of yoga.

they should rename yoga to 'fucking balls out difficult'

I sort of like it though.

these whey powder things, should they be used after a workout? Like if I make a shake with a bunch of that stuff in and a banana is that good? How does chocolate milk fit in that equation?

I hate it... but I love it!

Not sure about the protein shake. You won't even need them if your diet is balanced.

I'm off to buy a chin up bar.

Clydefrog

koam said:
These are awesome

2. TIP OF THE DAY: DON'T SMASH YOUR FACE.

7. LEAP OVER THE RIVER, TO GRANDMOTHERS HOUSE WE GO.

11. LIKE A PTERODACTYL BACKING OUT OF TROUBLE – CAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, CA – I’M IN A GOOD MOOD TODAY.

17. I CAN JACK AND MOVE FORWARD AT THE SAME TIME

23. GIMME A HEY ….GIMME A HO HO

28. If you don't have a yoga block you can use a cat or dog.

44. Get on down like a frog on the freeway.

47. She can probably put her chin on the other side, but that would be creepy; wouldn't want to see that.

57. You wanna see gorgeous......not this (hand across face).....my back!

74. Man, i think i just ripped my pants.......nope, i'm okay.

Wow, I haven't been to this thread in weeks, but this had me rolling :lol left my favs!

You guys are missing my favorite Tony quote.

"NOW LET'S DO YOUR OTHER LEG BECAUSE WE'VE GOT TWO OF 'EM!"

*camera pans to over to the one-legged guy with a puzzled expression on his face*

My favorite P90X thing is Tony's overwhelming need and desire to constantly call Joe Bovino by his full name.

And in case you forgot who that is:

http://www.facebook.com/josephbovino#!

Clydefrog

Valkyr Junkie said:
You guys are missing my favorite Tony quote.

"NOW LET'S DO YOUR OTHER LEG BECAUSE WE'VE GOT TWO OF 'EM!"

*camera pans to over to the one-legged guy with a puzzled expression on his face*

295er12.jpg

MIND = BLOWN. Erik Stolhanske from Super Troopers and Beerfest IS THE ONE-LEGGED ERIK IN THE PLYOMETRICS VIDEO!!

IMDB.com said:
Graduated from Colgate University, where he was a part of the comedy troupe Charred Goosebeak.

Member of the Broken Lizard comedy team

Erik has one leg, his right leg is a prosthetic.

Born in Minnessota, he is a child of the Scandinavian immigrants. His last name is ancient Swedish, literally meaning "steel glove".

Featured on the training videos of the P90X system with Tony Horton, with the fact that he has a prosthetic leg being used as inspiration, specifically on the Plyometrics workout.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0831479/bio

Clydefrog said:
http://i41.tinypic.com/295er12.jpg[IMG]

MIND = BLOWN. Erik Stolhanske from Super Troopers and Beerfest IS THE ONE-LEGGED ERIK IN THE PLYOMETRICS VIDEO!!

[url]http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0831479/bio[/url][/QUOTE]

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

Never has fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.gif ever been more appreciate despite threats of bannage. I've watched Plyo-X probably 50 times, and watched movies he's been in almost as much. Wow.

yonder

lethial said:
Most are loaded with sugar. Nay, make your own.
Wow, what a coincidence, I thought of doing this yesterday. Most recipes I found had a mix of peanut butter, oatmeal and whey protein (with a little water or milk for moisture) with a 1:1:1 ratio, so I tried making a tiny batch of only two to try it out and it worked perfectly! I love anything with pb in it and this recipe tastes awesome and is super cheap. However, I carried one of the bars around with me for a few hours and it got quite doughy, but I didn't mind that. If you get them straight from the freezer/fridge they've got a great chewy consistency, though.

I'm going to try making a proper batch sometime soon. I might post some pics of my creation later on. But yeah, I had no idea it would be so easy, tasty and cheap!

Edit: Okay, here goes. This is the result of my Saturday morning. The recipe was somewhat improvised, but I think it turned out quite well! Hope some of you find this helpful. I'm not sure this post necessarily belongs in this thread, but whatever.

4429329552_07769f4665.jpg

Here's what you'll need:

12 oz/350g oats
12 oz/ 350g whey protein
12oz/350g peanut butter
I also put about 100g of shelled hemp in there to get some essential fatty acids and a bit more protein, but that's optional.

Put it all in a bowl, like so:

4429329772_1ba9c33d24.jpg

Now mix that shit up good! (probably a bit more than I did for this pic) Add some more water or milk if it's still too dry; it should be quite sticky.

4429330024_392c015edf.jpg

Lube a pan up! I think mine's a 8 x 12, but I'm no good with pan measurements.

4428563437_04a2f6f02d.jpg

When the pan's all lubed and ready to go, put all of your sticky mix in there.

4429330394_cb5ca943b7.jpg

Now it's time to smooth things out, so pat down the mix until it's nice and firm.

4429330586_43155db64f.jpg

Now you put that sumbitch in the freezer and let it chill for an hour or two. Afterwards it's time to cut the sucker up into pieces – I get about 16, but you can obviously make them as big as you want.

4428564153_92f5e718e0.jpg

Bam!

Here's a finished one. I couldn't be bothered to keep it in the freezer long enough, so it's a bit soggy:

4428564291_e9be04b14a.jpg

Now, according to my hasty calculations, one piece (out of the 16) amounts to roughly:

327kcal
27.4 protein
18.1g carb
16.8g fat
3.8g fiber

Not too bad! You can obviously experiment with this recipe yourself as it is pretty straightforward.

Yonn said:
Wow, what a coincidence, I thought of doing this yesterday. Most recipes I found had a mix of peanut butter, oatmeal and whey protein (with a little water or milk for moisture) with a 1:1:1 ratio, so I tried making a tiny batch of only two to try it out and it worked perfectly! I love anything with pb in it and this recipe tastes awesome and is super cheap. However, I carried one of the bars around with me for a few hours and it got quite doughy, but I didn't mind that. If you get them straight from the freezer/fridge they've got a great chewy consistency, though.

I'm going to try making a proper batch sometime soon. I might post some pics of my creation later on. But yeah, I had no idea it would be so easy, tasty and cheap!

Edit: Okay, here goes. This is the result of my Saturday morning. The recipe was somewhat improvised, but I think it turned out quite well! Hope some of you find this helpful. I'm not sure this post necessarily belongs in this thread, but whatever.

4429329552_07769f4665.jpg

Here's what you'll need:

12 oz/350g oats
12 oz/ 350g whey protein
12oz/350g peanut butter
I also put about 100g of shelled hemp in there to get some essential fatty acids and a bit more protein, but that's optional.

Put it all in a bowl, like so:

4429329772_1ba9c33d24.jpg

Now mix that shit up good! (probably a bit more than I did for this pic) Add some more water or milk if it's still too dry; it should be quite sticky.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2501/4429330024_392c015edf.jpg[IMG]

Lube a pan up! I think mine's a 8 x 12, but I'm no good with pan measurements.

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4428563437_04a2f6f02d.jpg[IMG]

When the pan's all lubed and ready to go, put all of your sticky mix in there.

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4429330394_cb5ca943b7.jpg[IMG]

Now it's time to smooth things out, so pat down the mix until it's nice and firm.

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4429330586_43155db64f.jpg[IMG]

Now you put that sumbitch in the freezer and let it chill for an hour or two. Afterwards it's time to cut the sucker up into pieces – I get about 16, but you can obviously make them as big as you want.

[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2776/4428564153_92f5e718e0.jpg[IMG]

Bam!

Here's a finished one. I couldn't be bothered to keep it in the freezer long enough, so it's a bit soggy:

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4428564291_e9be04b14a.jpg

Now, according to my hasty calculations, one piece (out of the 16) amounts to roughly:

327kcal
27.4 protein
18.1g carb
16.8g fat
3.8g fiber

Not too bad! You can obviously experiment with this recipe yourself as it is pretty straightforward.

Wow, that looks pretty good. I was thinking of making some for myself since I have some unused oatmeal and peanut butter. I may give this a try once I get home from shopping today.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
You SOBs :lol I restarted P90 after doing kenpo on the wrong day but I started my week on the first step, chest/back ab ripper x today sat... (I will fit sched accordingly to the calendar workouts)

I'm @ the 25 mins left mark in chest/back MOTHER FUCK MAN I'm about to throw up :lol help bitches! I have no idea how the fuck I'm supposed to do ab ripper x after this

-edit

OK lol.. I had to stop @ the 20 min mark, I couldn't take it anymore and I felt sick... I will do this kind of thing for a week or so on all the sched workouts til I start legit and do all they ask for before I run out of energy.

Jesus fuck.. I did kenpo x fine and the whole thing but this shit is just awesome crazy.

nyong

Banned
Tony is kind of a creepy dude. Many of the women in the video look visibly uncomfortable as he looks for excuses to touch them or stare at them. If this is on camera, I would hate to see how he acts with it off.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
So yeah chocolate milk fucking WORKS, I bought some nesquik (16 FL oz, 1 pt $1.89 bottle reduced fat)

I drank half of it and it revived my ass.

I thought I was going to hurl man :lol I'll def be doing the best I can this whole week and resetting the next week and count it as week one the next time I do it and not this time.

CENOBITE

I did this on tuesday and haven't hit it since. It completely wrecked me and I'm finally not feeling as sore. I guess my 90 days just got an extension... to like a year.

Slayer-33 said:
So yeah chocolate milk fucking WORKS, I bought some nesquik (16 FL oz, 1 pt $1.89 bottle reduced fat)

I drank half of it and it revived my ass.

I thought I was going to hurl man :lol I'll def be doing the best I can this whole week and resetting the next week and count it as week one the next time I do it and not this time.

How much milk are you supposed to drink. I started up and drink about an 8oz glass before working out and woke up the next morning sore as shit. even the top of my fuckin head was sore. Should I drink a gallon of the shit?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Yonn said:
Nice pics.

Sweet man, good job. If you want an easier time making the mix, nuke\stir the PB until smooth - mind you it will take longer to set unless you like the burn in the forearms from mixing. :p

Can anyone comment on P90X vs Insanity?

I already workout 3x a week, but I'm looking to tone and lose some fat. I would plan on continuing to go to the gym and doing a workout as well. Would one be more suited for my goals than the other? Is Insanity actually harder than P90X?

Burger said:
Not sure about the protein shake. You won't even need them if your diet is balanced.

Indeed. I understand that it can be a hassle, but please people, try to go for proper food first. Fry up some salmon and toss it in a stir fry and serve it with a yogurt side. Then have an apple as dessert. Takes all of 10 minutes, tastes awesome and should give your body everything it needs. For a quick meal, toss some healthy stuff in a blender and drink a meal. If you use Greek Yogurt as a base, then there's your protein shake.

Also worth keeping in mind is that too much protein, as in an unbalanced amount, is apparently linked to kidney stones.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Slayer-33 said:

10g fat
16g protein
56g sugar

Only ~22g of that sugar is lactose, the rest will be sucrose/HFCS -- almost a can of Coke's worth.

Please don't drink this as part of a fitness program :/

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
EviLore said:
10g fat
16g protein
56g sugar

Only ~22g of that sugar is lactose, the rest will be sucrose/HFCS -- almost a can of Coke's worth.

Please don't drink this as part of a fitness program :/

The bottle says 28g of sugar, I drank half too. Am I doing it right? :lol

I'll need a new drink if this one sucks, I have ensure plus in the fridge.

13g of protein

20g of sugars

350 cals

and an ass ton of other good shit (on paper) not sure if it matters to when it comes to PO recovery.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Slayer-33 said:
I'll need a new drink if this one sucks, I have ensure plus in the fridge.

13g of protein

20g of sugars

350 cals

and an ass ton of other good shit (on paper) not sure if it matters to when it comes to PO recovery.

Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar (Sucrose), Milk Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil, Soy Protein Concentrate, Corn Oil, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), Short-Chain Fructooligosaccharides, Potassium Citrate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Magnesium Phosphate, Natural & Artificial Flavors...

Why do you feel you need this? Water, (non-chocolate!) milk, whey protein powder, that's all cool. With all this sugar you'll recover ATP faster, but attached to a host of negative effects, and you don't need the highest possible ATP recovery after your workout unless your post-workout also involves running away from a grizzly bear for an hour. You're not maximizing your progress by drinking a bunch of sugar. Sucrose/HFCS is bad for you and will interfere with fitness progress.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Also, keep in mind that the 20g sugar from the Ensure, looking at the ingredients, appears to be mostly if not entirely from the sucrose. In the chocolate milk, the "sugars" stat is partially from the lactose and partially from the added sucrose or HFCS. So the Ensure actually has *more* sucrose in it than the chocolate milk, per 8 oz. They're both shitty and still that equivalent of pouring a can of coke into whatever you're drinking.

Just remember when you look on a label, that generally the "Sugars" on the nutrition info is coming from sucrose/HFCS, but in milk, if nothing's added, it's from lactose. In that chocolate milk you mentioned, it's 2% milk with a shitload of sugar added, which is how I came up with the amount of lactose (11g per 8 oz 2% milk) and the remaining amount of sucrose/HFCS (28g - 11g = 17g per 8 oz) in that chocolate milk.

Lactose (milk sugar) = glucose + galactose.

Sucrose/HFCS = glucose + fructose.

Fructose, particularly in large quantities and when not paired with fiber (i.e. whole fruit is cool, but sugar water, whether soda or fruit juice or energy drinks etc. etc. is not), should be avoided like the plague if fitness is important to you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose#Health_effects
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/fructosedangers.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

EviLore said:
Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar (Sucrose), Milk Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil, Soy Protein Concentrate, Corn Oil, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), Short-Chain Fructooligosaccharides, Potassium Citrate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Magnesium Phosphate, Natural & Artificial Flavors...

Why do you feel you need this? Water, (non-chocolate!) milk, whey protein powder, that's all cool. With all this sugar you'll recover ATP faster, but attached to a host of negative effects, and you don't need the highest possible ATP recovery after your workout unless your post-workout also involves running away from a grizzly bear for an hour. You're not maximizing your progress by drinking a bunch of sugar. Sucrose/HFCS is bad for you and will interfere with fitness progress.

What about dextrose? I've been mixing that in with 2% milk and a scoop of whey to make my pwo. I was going with a whey+water+dextrose mix to get to a 2:1 ratio, but I'm not sure about the ratio when I add in the milk. Should I still be adding it, or will a milk+ whey 1:1 ratio be fine?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Thanks EL, very informative :lol

Question though, I will be jogging (when I do it I interval sprint/jog, I started doing it last year) every other day (3 times a week, weekdays off) very soon + I'll definitely follow the whole p90x deal. Would it matter if I was on the mentioned post workout drinks if I actually also added the sprint/jogging to my activities?

Or should I really drop them for something with less sugar? Keep in mind I don't want to run out of energy for the weeks on end doing both p90x and the interval training jogs I take. I plan to start on April 1st til whenever it gets "cold" near winter time this year.

Ty for all that info though. As you can tell I really am still trying to figure out the nutritional portion of all of this working out hardcore stuff. Also if it helps you help me better I don't really eat sweets or stuff with lots of sugar at all too often, a few Oreos rarely. I plan on cutting soda for months on end, maybe drink half a can once in a blue moon, I never drink a whole can or go out of my way to get some soda.

The only definite thing that I have been drinking (with lots of sugar) when I buy it (and I do often) is those ensure plus 24 pack cans because I have Crohn's disease (under total control) because I want to keep a healthy weight on, I'm 5'8 and 160 pounds

nyong

Banned
Chocolate milk is excellent for any exercise program that depletes your glycogen stores. The sugar is a GOOD thing is this respect. In fact, the best distance runners in the world (Kenyans) get a substantial number of their calories from plain white sugar.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
First, dextrose is just another name for glucose, and glucose is your standard energy source. Post-workout, any reasonable amounts of glucose you ingest should be used by your body to help get your blood glucose levels normalized and otherwise replenish glycogen as necessary and whatnot, and won't be stored as fat or anything problematic like that. So some dextrose in your protein shake isn't going to be a problem. Is it beneficial or neutral? Well, that really depends on the intensity and duration of the workout and how often you're working out per week.

Your body typically stores a lot of glycogen, which is basically body-starch rather than food-starch, to break down into glucose as necessary when you're doing high intensity activity. 1500-2000 kcals is your typical glycogen storage. Only when you exhaust your glycogen store is your body going to get fucked up and start doing drastic things like shut down and start catabolizing muscle for energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_the_wall

Running a marathon or other sorts of serious endurance activities will get there, and those guys need to be very concerned with carb-loading to maximize glycogen stores beforehand and glycogen replenishment during and afterwards.

Your typical high intensity workout like a p90x will be dropping your blood glucose levels, which will trigger glycogen being converted into glucose to bring blood glucose back up to feed your cells, but that's not a problem unless you run out of glycogen. The more hardcore (in intensity and duration) the workout and the more times per week you're working out, the more it'll make sense to get some immediate energy into your system to make sure everything remains in good working order, but really, your body has these blood glucose management mechanisms in place and in normal workouts you're nowhere near that "hitting the wall" point where you need to be worried. Just eating several times over the course of the day with a balanced caloric profile of carbs/protein/fat will allow your body to function appropriately. With loads of cardio, make sure you get enough carbs, and with serious strength training, make sure you get enough protein.

Chocolate milk is excellent for any exercise program that depletes your glycogen stores. The sugar is a GOOD thing is this respect. In fact, the best distance runners in the world (Kenyans) get a substantial number of their calories from plain white sugar.

Yes, sugar, i.e. glucose+fructose, replenishes your glycogen stores quickly (fructose does so really dramatically, pretty much the only good thing about fructose). And if you're running marathons, that's something to concern yourself with. When you're NOT running marathons, you really, really don't want to be getting a substantial percentage of your calories from sugar. It's a pretty dangerous thing to be encouraging sugar on people by citing the eating habits of specialized elite athletes. Michael Phelps eats 10,000+ kcals a day and just jams whatever he can get his hands on into his mouth any time he's not in the pool, but that's addressing his specialized needs, not the needs of a gaffer trying to get into better shape. Same goes for marathon runners.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
EviLore said:
Michael Phelps eats 10,000+ kcals a day and just jams whatever he can get his hands on into his mouth any time he's not in the pool, but that's addressing his specialized needs, not the needs of a gaffer trying to get into better shape. Same goes for marathon runners.

Not even the same ballpark - but I rode from San Fran to LA, doing 100 miles per day, roughly, and I was eating 6-7k cals a day, easy. And my body did WEIRD shit, including filling a tent with actual fog caused by perspiration. I don't mean condensation - I mean, steamy fog.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
OuterWorldVoice said:
Not even the same ballpark - but I rode from San Fran to LA, doing 100 miles per day, roughly, and I was eating 6-7k cals a day, easy. And my body did WEIRD shit, including filling a tent with actual fog caused by perspiration. I don't mean condensation - I mean, steamy fog.

Haha, interesting.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
EviLore said:
Haha, interesting.

Disgusting and scary more like. And our coach warned us NOT TO GO IN TENT AFTER RIDE. But I went in to change (lycra) pants, fell asleep. Doh.

Connectedly, I went out in Pismo Beach after that and ate two burritos and a dessert.

EviLore said:
First, dextrose is just another name for glucose, and glucose is your standard energy source. Post-workout, any reasonable amounts of glucose you ingest should be used by your body to help get your blood glucose levels normalized and otherwise replenish glycogen as necessary and whatnot, and won't be stored as fat or anything problematic like that. So some dextrose in your protein shake isn't going to be a problem. Is it beneficial or neutral? Well, that really depends on the intensity and duration of the workout and how often you're working out per week.

Your body typically stores a lot of glycogen, which is basically body-starch rather than food-starch, to break down into glucose as necessary when you're doing high intensity activity. 1500-2000 kcals is your typical glycogen storage. Only when you exhaust your glycogen store is your body going to get fucked up and start doing drastic things like shut down and start catabolizing muscle for energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_the_wall

Running a marathon or other sorts of serious endurance activities will get there, and those guys need to be very concerned with carb-loading to maximize glycogen stores beforehand and glycogen replenishment during and afterwards.

Your typical high intensity workout like a p90x will be dropping your blood glucose levels, which will trigger glycogen being converted into glucose to bring blood glucose back up to feed your cells, but that's not a problem unless you run out of glycogen. The more hardcore (in intensity and duration) the workout and the more times per week you're working out, the more it'll make sense to get some immediate energy into your system to make sure everything remains in good working order, but really, your body has these blood glucose management mechanisms in place and in normal workouts you're nowhere near that "hitting the wall" point where you need to be worried. Just eating several times over the course of the day with a balanced caloric profile of carbs/protein/fat will allow your body to function appropriately. With loads of cardio, make sure you get enough carbs, and with serious strength training, make sure you get enough protein.

Yes, sugar, i.e. glucose+fructose, replenishes your glycogen stores quickly (fructose does so really dramatically, pretty much the only good thing about fructose). And if you're running marathons, that's something to concern yourself with. When you're NOT running marathons, you really, really don't want to be getting a substantial percentage of your calories from sugar. It's a pretty dangerous thing to be encouraging sugar on people by citing the eating habits of specialized elite athletes. Michael Phelps eats 10,000+ kcals a day and just jams whatever he can get his hands on into his mouth any time he's not in the pool, but that's addressing his specialized needs, not the needs of a gaffer trying to get into better shape. Same goes for marathon runners.

Excellent post, thanks for the clarification. I've since run out of the dextrose I bought 2 months ago and was contemplating on whether to buy another bag or not. I guess I'll pass on it, since I don't have that "bonking" feeling I had when I was on a low carb diet for the first month of p90x.

yonder

lethial said:
Sweet man, good job. If you want an easier time making the mix, nuke\stir the PB until smooth - mind you it will take longer to set unless you like the burn in the forearms from mixing. :p
Thanks, I'll try that next time! Now that I kept the bars in the fridge overnight they're nice and chewy. I might try to use a little less peanut butter or a fat reduced version the next time around to reduce the fat (at least it's mostly good fat, though), but otherwise I'm pretty happy with this recipe.

EviLore, I get were your coming from, but I really feel like the chocolate milk "works" for me. I know I'm not running a marathon, but I'm pretty damn exhausted after just about every workout, sometimes to the point of being dizzy and barely being able to use my legs and arms afterwards. Chocolate milk changes that almost straight away. I'd say that during phase 1 when you're not eating a lot of carbs, a recovery drink is almost essential for you to survive. Phase 2 involves some more carbs, but chocolate milk still helps a whole deal in recovering for next day's workout. Phase 3 has you eating plenty of carbs, so I'll see how I feel about chocolate milk then, but for now I'll continue to drink my 400ml after workouts.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
oh wow, got a pullup bar and did the legs and back last night. at the end I was shattered (end of first week) and I think I've caught a cold. woke up this monring and felt like I'd been hit by a truck. Took a shower and ate some bread with marmite and cheese and chicken and cheese and drank a cola (probably bad) now not sure if I should do Kenpo X before my rest day tomorrow.

what do you say gaf? I feel less head coldy, but i'm exhausted. Should I just do it anyway?

thorin

catfish said:
what do you say gaf? I feel less head coldy, but i'm exhausted. Should I just do it anyway?
Only you can say if your body's feeling up to it, but Kenpo X is easy. It gets you sweating but it's not hard on the body.

nubbe

I did Plyo and Back&Bicep yesterday and today I have muscle pain similar to the first week.
Hope it is a sign on muscle growth. >_>

Luckily it is only 3 days to the second recovery week because my body seems to need it.

yonder

catfish said:
I was in the exact same situation last week and decided to go ahead with it, but take it easy. I'm not sure if it was the exercise, but I felt a lot better the next day. Just make sure to get enough eat, drink and sleep and you should be fine. Listen to your body, though; if you feel like you're about to collapse, then stop.

Rengoku

CharlieDigital said:
Can anyone comment on P90X vs Insanity?

I already workout 3x a week, but I'm looking to tone and lose some fat. I would plan on continuing to go to the gym and doing a workout as well. Would one be more suited for my goals than the other? Is Insanity actually harder than P90X?

I would recommend P90X first, then Insanity. At least thats what I did. Insanity is MUCH harder, if you thought Plyometrics in P90X was killer, the stuff in Insanity is something else. With P90X you're dealing with more muscle build up, with 2 days of the week being cardio. Insanity is pretty much cardio all the way.

I started over p90x and need some help with my nutrition. According the manual I need 3000 cal a day. My problem is I've been on a low cal (1000-1200) diet for the last couple months (lost 20 pounds) so I'm not really sure how in the hell I'm supposed to triple my caloric intake and still eat healthy. I've been eating lean cuisines for lunch so I'm guessing I'm gonna have to cut that shit out since it's only like 300 cal per meal.

So my question is, if I'm doing a 3000cal per day diet, and I'm doing Phase 1 (50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat) how do I calculate it? Do I just make sure 1500 calories I intake come from protein, 450 cal comes from carbs, and the last 300 cal comes from fat?

Thanks

Rengoku said:
I would recommend P90X first, then Insanity. At least thats what I did. Insanity is MUCH harder, if you thought Plyometrics in P90X was killer, the stuff in Insanity is something else. With P90X you're dealing with more muscle build up, with 2 days of the week being cardio. Insanity is pretty much cardio all the way.

Yea, I would start off with p90x first.I just got the Insanity DVD's and it is insane at how difficult the program is. It's basically p90x with a shitload of cardio mixed in. The speed also gradually gets faster as you go through the reps. The people on the vids can't even do the program nonstop. Every one of the participants breaks down and has to take a break mid move. Some even look like they may puke after doing some of the moves. It looks pretty stupid on camera, since you see people just passed out from exhaustion while others barely get the move done(and these people are super fit), but the results are amazing when you see the before and after pics.

Burger

bdizzle said:
I started over p90x and need some help with my nutrition. According the manual I need 3000 cal a day. My problem is I've been on a low cal (1000-1200) diet for the last couple months (lost 20 pounds) so I'm not really sure how in the hell I'm supposed to triple my caloric intake and still eat healthy. I've been eating lean cuisines for lunch so I'm guessing I'm gonna have to cut that shit out since it's only like 300 cal per meal.

So my question is, if I'm doing a 3000cal per day diet, and I'm doing Phase 1 (50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat) how do I calculate it? Do I just make sure 1500 calories I intake come from protein, 450 cal comes from carbs, and the last 300 cal comes from fat?

Thanks

My advise (and this might be wrong for you) is to ignore calorie counting altogether. I only buy foods from the outsides of the supermarket, like Eggs, Meats, Vegetables, Fruits etc. Don't go into isles. Make your meals with 5 or less ingredients, all of them being whole foods, nothing processed. Condiments are ok here and there, pepper, soy sauce etc.

As long as you eat that sort of food, you'll be ok. It's healthy, it's good for you, it's low in fat. If you don't eat enough food, you won't be able to make it through the workouts, simple as that. Eat small, but often. Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner.

Some people think calorie counting is a great way to make good progress, and some people think it's largely worthless. Tony Horton (they guy in the videos) thinks it's a waste of time.

fatty

ocadman said:
If anyone is looking for a pullup bar, saw this on slickdeals. Seems like a good deal.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1918482

$24 for an Iron Gym Xtreme.

Awesome, thanks for that! My dad and I have been looking for one of those for a while so I was able to pick us both up one, comes out to $21 a piece.

---

So, completed my first full week this week (had to stop at Yoga last week because of a pulled muscle in my back). My father is even doing it with me. He does heavy lifting at his job and he's pretty active but he hasn't worked out in a while. He struggled a bit at first but he made it through the whole week except for Kenpo yesterday due to schedule. I'm really proud of him, especially at 50 years old.

This week will be hard to find time to put it in our schedule on Thurs/Fri due to the NCAA tournament but I'll just record some of the tournament and get back to watching it later.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
giga said:
That's in-store as well right? Screw that shipping price.

Anyone have experience with the Xtreme? Any damage/marking to the door frame?

No damage, very sturdy and easy to assemble.

You can use it for push-ups as well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yonn said:
EviLore, I get were your coming from, but I really feel like the chocolate milk "works" for me. I know I'm not running a marathon, but I'm pretty damn exhausted after just about every workout, sometimes to the point of being dizzy and barely being able to use my legs and arms afterwards. Chocolate milk changes that almost straight away. I'd say that during phase 1 when you're not eating a lot of carbs, a recovery drink is almost essential for you to survive. Phase 2 involves some more carbs, but chocolate milk still helps a whole deal in recovering for next day's workout. Phase 3 has you eating plenty of carbs, so I'll see how I feel about chocolate milk then, but for now I'll continue to drink my 400ml after workouts.

So get some more decent carbs in your diet, instead of drinking sugar-milk after workouts to put a bandaid on an apparent nutritional deficiency?

Ultimatum

Banned
How often do you guys actually work out? I'm thinking about doing the sessions twice a day (once in the morning, once in the evening). Would that be detrimental to the process? I'm pretty thin, quite athletic, and plan to get back into sprinting, I need to shed a tiny bit of fat (1-2%), gain some muscle & fitness.

So, once or twice a day?

Ultimatum said:
How often do you guys actually work out? I'm thinking about doing the sessions twice a day (once in the morning, once in the evening). Would that be detrimental to the process? I'm pretty thin, quite athletic, and plan to get back into sprinting, I need to shed a tiny bit of fat (1-2%), gain some muscle & fitness.

So, once or twice a day?

The "Doubles" program is fine since it just adds a short cardio routine on the 3 resistance training days. Not at all detrimental if you're getting the proper amount of sleep and nutritional intake. I'd give that a shot.

ocadman

Just finished 3 weeks and feeling good except I didn't eat really well this weekend at all. Probably just doing it wrong, but I'm just really really shitty at any pullups exercises. That;s the only portion where I haven't seen any improvement at all. It's my recovery week so I'm not sure if I should do another week of the workouts or just do the recovery week and move into phase 2.

I was gonna join this chocolate milk revolution but EviLore has me running scared. I was considering getting the Soy Chocolate Milk which has about half the sugar, so I guess we'll see!

Top Bottom