• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

grumble

Slayer-33 said:
holy shit this might be true?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/152240.php

http://dcrainmaker.blogspot.com/2009/03/chocolate-milk-vs-endurox-r4-recovery.html

wtf mate, I thought you where joking dude! lol.. I'll still need to get an "enhanced" protein supplement right?

Hahaha, I'm dead serious. Chocolate milk is the best PWO recovery drink there is. You do not need an enhanced protein supplement.

If you want a really tasty shake, get chocolate milk, add in frozen strawberries, a little unflavoured whey powder and blend. It tastes AMAZING. Just the chocolate milk is great though, the rest is just for variety.

I've got a question about milk. Can I mix lactose free milk with regular milk to get the benefit of the enzymes? The only thing that prevents me from doing this milk pwo is the high cost of lactose free milk(don't want to use the pills since it cost quite a bit). If I can combine the two, it would help with the per serving price point.

grumble

Masta_Killah said:
I've got a question about milk. Can I mix lactose free milk with regular milk to get the benefit of the enzymes? The only thing that prevents me from doing this milk pwo is the high cost of lactose free milk(don't want to use the pills since it cost quite a bit). If I can combine the two, it would help with the per serving price point.

The pills are dirt cheap. Get them from Costco or online, they're not expensive and they work. Here are some very good ones:

http://www.digestiveadvantagestore.com/product.php?productid=7&cat=2

Only one a day.

Konosuke

tri_willy said:
cod4_p90.jpg
Glad to see i wasn't the only one :lol

ocadman

grumble said:
Hahaha, I'm dead serious. Chocolate milk is the best PWO recovery drink there is. You do not need an enhanced protein supplement.

If you want a really tasty shake, get chocolate milk, add in frozen strawberries, a little unflavoured whey powder and blend. It tastes AMAZING. Just the chocolate milk is great though, the rest is just for variety.

You think Soy Chocolate is a good substitute? Or I should be drinking specifically chocolate milk?

lachesis

I love my chocolate milk. Low fat ones are creamy - but I stick to my skim chocolate milk - as I tend to workout very late at night, and I don't want to eat too much fat for recovery drink. Not sure what the soy milk would do though - I'm pretty sure it's high in protein, but the question is is it as good as chocolate milk in terms of being a recovery drink? I'll have to compare the labels next time.

On the other hand, now I'm officially into my Phase II recovery week. I had a lot of things going on for past few weeks - and I'm actually glad I've hit a recovery week - as I was pretty worn out by end of my last night's Kenpo X. Couldn't keep up with them - when I had not much problem normally. To be honest, my mind was at someplace else, so that might be the reason too.

I've seen some decent result - lost 14 lbs and it's seems it has flatten out that way so far. However, I'm seeing some muscle groups on my shoulders, triceps, biceps - not much on back, but my man boobs are much smaller and under light, it seems to have develop some nice looking "angle", not rounded like I was before.

I've met someone from work today, and he mentioned that I looked different and good. (I've not seen him for a few weeks). Told him about the program, and he was saying "Wow, does it really work?" LOL... I think I have another converter here.. :)

I hear 3rd phase, I'll see the most results. I'm rather excited to see the end of the my first 90 days. I was thinking about doing it over again, but I'm now little more interested in trying out other stuff... perhaps that Julian Michael's DVD thingie for 30 days or so, and see how it goes.

I'm sure its been addressed somewhere in this massive thread, but if you miss a day of working out, do you make it up the next day, double up, or just go about your regular schedule?

koam

These are awesome

1. THEY'RE WORKING HARD I KNOW YOU ARE!!!

2. TIP OF THE DAY: DON'T SMASH YOUR FACE.

3. PAM - WE CALL HER BLAM

4. (slow walk towards the camera) AB……RIPPER…..XXXXXX

5. AB RIPPER X….I HATE IT…BUT I LOVE IT….

6. HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN THE WORLD FAMOUS KAREN POTSTIRRERS?

7. LEAP OVER THE RIVER, TO GRANDMOTHERS HOUSE WE GO.

8. ... AND IF YOU'RE HAVING TROUBLE BALANCING, JUST FIND SOMETHING TO PUT YOUR HAND ON... LIKE A STOOL, NEPHEW, NEICE, UNCLE... THAT'S A SHORT UNCLE.

9. HE'LL BE DOING PLYOMETRICS WITH US ON A PROSTHETIC LEG... SO I DON'T WANT TO HEAR NO EXCUSES FROM ANY O' YOU!

10. YOU WANT ME TO YELL AT YOU…I’M GONNA YELL AT DANILEL.

11. LIKE A PTERODACTYL BACKING OUT OF TROUBLE – CAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, CA – I’M IN A GOOD MOOD TODAY.

12. GERMAN POTATO SOUP (in a German accent)

13. HELLLLLOOOOOOO (imitating Groucho Marx)

13. CHEESEBURGER BAD, FRIES BAD, SHAKES BAD, COCA-COLA BAD, OOOPPSSS I SAID IT! DRINK YOUR WATER PEOPLE.

14. WOMEN, DO WHAT YOU FEEL, MEN DO WHAT YOU FEEL…I DONNO, THERE’S A LINE THERE(imitating Groucho Marx)

15. FOCUS ON MY DINKNY CALVES

16. IT’S P90X, IT AIN’T SOME SILLLY LITTLE CLASS.

17. I CAN JACK AND MOVE FORWARD AT THE SAME TIME

18. HEY NICE SHIRT MAN, YOU’RE WEARING MY SHIRT…GUY STOLE MY SHIRT

19. (growls like a dogg) ARGHHHHHH – ROUGH. LOVE IT! DIFFERENT VARIATIONS…ON THE KNEES, CLAPPING, PLYO…PSYCHO….

20. LET’S LOOK AT DREY…SHE’S GOT A BANANA

21. I GOT SWEATY SOCK SOUP - TROUBLE IS FUNNIER, I DON’T LIKE THAT PHIL HAD A FUNNIER LINE THAN ME

22. SOPHIA – LOOK AT THE TEETH, WHYYYYYY??? SHE’S STUDYING TO BE A DENTIST. LOOK AT THOSE TEETH, UNBELIEVABLE, OFF THE CHARTS, LIKE CHICKLETS GOING ACROSS…BEAUTIFUL

23. GIMME A HEY ….GIMME A HO HO

24. SUPERMAN….BANANA!....AND SUPERMAN….BANANA

25. HE’S BANANA-BOY HERE AND SUPERMAN OR SPIDERMAN ON HIS STOMACH

26. SLO MO THROW, HERE WE GO

27. Jump over the guy you just beat up

28. If you don't have a yoga block you can use a cat or dog.

29.Vanessa has the skin of a 5 year old

30. Show them white boys can jump

31. Jason is getting weird on me, he looks like the neanderthal runner guy

32. Do you have tickets to the show? The gun show

33. Do your best and forget the rest.

34. It's almost over, makes me sad

35. Half way done, party's almost over what a bummer

36. Steering wheels don't move unless your in a clown car.

37. Forget the Krispy Kremes

38. Man-o-manaschevitz!

39. She makes Gumby look like the Tin Man

40. Oo0o0o0o, that's cushier (when padding up his feet)

41. Do your best and what you guys....(no response)...forget the rest...you guys.

42. This isn't Ab Ripper 100 or 200 this is Ab Ripper 339

43. Unbelievable! It looks like she's had her legs lopped off. It's freakish. It's awesome.

44. Get on down like a frog on the freeway.

45. How's it going, Ringo? He feels like Ringo because he's way in the back, but he's still our star drummer.

46. If there's an earthquake, you're probably not going to get out in time.

47. She can probably put her chin on the other side, but that would be creepy; wouldn't want to see that.

48. Slap it. Make it feel good.

49. Shauna...freak of nature...beautiful thing...

50. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was your body!

51. This is a face of a girl who's working really hard

52. Come on Get 'em up!....This is Ab - Ripp - Er - Ex

53. Tip of the day: remember to breathe

54. She's made of Play-Doh.

55. He's from Belgium... it's cold all the time! All they do is skate.

56. Last vinyassa of the day!

57. You wanna see gorgeous......not this (hand across face).....my back!

58.This isnt a crazy cult or religion...its just Ohms.

59. Listen to your shoulders, they say P90X rocks

60. They call him La Mahina, that's Spanish.

61. Look out dude I'm coming with my bars.

62. These guys are stretching...Bobby's got his pot stirs...Maren has got her German stretch techniques...

63. I did 10!!!!!

64. Yea...whoo...I kee...I keep that in the house there, brother.

65.Shake it out, let's do some shakers. You know, like a boxer or swimmer gettin' ready to go in to battle..

66. Dont do this everyday..you dont work other parts of your body everyday..and you shouldnt work Abs everyday..........now lets ALL go into Childs Poseeee.

67. I got shot in the buttock" (Forest Gump accent)

68. Scott, raise a leg! Hihihihi (laughing while doing push-ups)....yes he did!

69. I Love Okra!

70. Love, love, love 'til my daddy takes my t-bird away!

71. And there she blows.

72. I suggest....foot spray!

73. ... for those of you who wanna try it, turn the pau--hit the bause putton... get a pillow...

74. Man, i think i just ripped my pants.......nope, i'm okay.

75. You can do anything for thirty seconds.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Yonn said:
Nope, it totally works; I drink about 200ml after every workout.

grumble said:

I drink ensure plus (vanilla) as a meal replacement sometimes, how would this do compared to choc milk post workout? (I ask this because my stomach doesn't like milk sometimes :lol but I can handle it if I have to drink it)

http://abbottnutrition.com/products/ensure-plus

Can you nutrition pros take a look at it and tell me if it would be ok to just invest on the ensure plus instead of the choch milk if they are similarly balanced?

If not what kind of choc milk combination product should I use that wouldn't be considered junk to use as a P90X post workout supplement. *milk & chocolate brands, kinds (low fat? shit like that) and the chocolate milk itself (powdered like Quick or syrup?)

Thanks for taking the guesswork out of it for me guys.

grumble

ocadman said:
You think Soy Chocolate is a good substitute? Or I should be drinking specifically chocolate milk?

I really can't say, I'm not familiar with soy products really. Here's (one of) the place(s) that I'm getting this information from:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mu...son-of-chocolate-milk-and-surge-recovery.html

As you can see, chocolate milk wins over recovery drinks.

Here's a comparison of soy milk versus plain 2% milk.

http://www.qtessencesoymilkmaker.com/soymilk.html

I see that it has lower carbs (bad in this case). I'm not a nutrition scientist, but I'd guess it's probably not as good as regular chocolate milk for a couple reasons, mostly because chocolate milk is loaded with carbs. If it works for you though, that great.

grumble

Slayer-33 said:
I drink ensure plus (vanilla) as a meal replacement sometimes, how would this do compared to choc milk post workout? (I ask this because my stomach doesn't like milk sometimes :lol but I can handle it if I have to drink it)

http://abbottnutrition.com/products/ensure-plus

Can you nutrition pros take a look at it and tell me if it would be ok to just invest on the ensure plus instead of the choch milk if they are similarly balanced?

If not what kind of choc milk combination product should I use that wouldn't be considered junk to use as a P90X post workout supplement. *milk & chocolate brands, kinds (low fat? shit like that) and the chocolate milk itself (powdered like Quick or syrup?)

Thanks for taking the guesswork out of it for me guys.

Ensure plus is great, judging by that nutritional profile. they also make a high-protein variant, if you want to try that. You might not need to pound 350 calories in the high-cal variant since it might get in the way of your diet, but if you can fit it in then go for it.

For chocolate milk, any will do. The reason you want chocolate milk is because they add sugar to it, and you want a little sugar after a hard workout to spike insulin and supply some energy and material for your body to get anabolic (building mode). If you want, buy low-fat or skim milk and add in a squeeze of chocolate syrup. NesQuik works too, it's got a little vitamin boost which can't hurt too.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
grumble said:
Ensure plus is great, judging by that nutritional profile. they also make a high-protein variant, if you want to try that. You might not need to pound 350 calories in the high-cal variant since it might get in the way of your diet, but if you can fit it in then go for it.

For chocolate milk, any will do. The reason you want chocolate milk is because they add sugar to it, and you want a little sugar after a hard workout to spike insulin and supply some energy and material for your body to get anabolic (building mode). If you want, buy low-fat or skim milk and add in a squeeze of chocolate syrup. NesQuik works too, it's got a little vitamin boost which can't hurt too.

Awesome bro.

But take a look at the grams of sugar per ensure bottle :lol is that too much? :D -edit and ya I have had the ensure protein + version, tastes watery compared to plus and regular but it's still pretty damn good.

grumble

Slayer-33 said:
Awesome bro.

But take a look at the grams of sugar per ensure bottle :lol is that too much? :D -edit and ya I have had the ensure protein + version, tastes watery compared to plus and regular but it's still pretty damn good.

Not in this case, nope. You can see how they add the calories though to make it 'plus': raw sugar. Normally bad, but after a hard workout good.

lachesis

obijkenobi said:
I'm sure its been addressed somewhere in this massive thread, but if you miss a day of working out, do you make it up the next day, double up, or just go about your regular schedule?

Well, I'd say don't skip from now on and just push on. Keep your motivation high. No need to double up or whatnot, if it's fit into certain way to your schedule. (Like I have my rest day on Sunday, which is perfect for me - as it's a day that I can "really" rest). If you don't mind that, then I'd suggest do the missing workout today, then do the work out that you were supposed to do today, do it tomorrow, etc. (1 day delay for entire schedule).

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
grumble said:
Not in this case, nope. You can see how they add the calories though to make it 'plus': raw sugar. Normally bad, but after a hard workout good.

I am happy then man, thanks for the help! I'll be restarting P90X tomorrow since I did Kenpo X Sat and apparently I wasn't supposed to start on that :lol

I'll snap my day one pic and save it for a future post if I'm not embarrassed enough to use it here and will post it later on.

I'll also make sure to eat very well from tomorrow onward and not fuck around with random junk foods/cakes or any bs (but I'll certainly have my weekly slice of pizza) which is fine I'm sure.

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_200/247_fitness_tip.html

Nice little article about choc milk ^ for all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tetruq-XuKI

LCfiner

great post koam :lol

a few too may Tony-isms have snuck their way into my daily vocal. it’s a little nuts seeing them all there at once.

my fav is still the completely nonsensical wacky jacks line

“alright, we got wacky jacks cuz they’re wacky but they’re gorgeous”

obijkenobi said:

Just move on to the next scheduled routine. It really won't hurt you if you miss a day or two. If you miss more then 1/2 the week, just extend the phase by 1 week.

Thanks for posting those, Koam. I love Tony! Such a charasmatic guy! One of my fav quotes of his that I didn't see on your list...

"What kind of soup you got? Green bean...? That's kinda nasty, dude."

f-castrillo

Neo Member
Took close to 2 hours to do Chest, Shoulders, and Tris + Ab Ripper X today. Took in a little less calories today to help with my weight loss goals, but that came back to bite me in the ass, because I had less energy in the workouts. Had to take a few more breaks, and combined with the increased weights and reps I was shooting for, I really got burned out. I didn't "bonk", but I was pretty much at failure for every move.

I pushed super hard in the beginning, and as a result, I couldn't do as many reps as last week in the middle/later moves. I've also started doing In and Outs with my hands raised up in the air, and really slamming my knuckles into the floor for Mason Twist (I have to kind of slam because if I just do a natural twist, I don't really touch the gorund).

The decreased energy and my pushing the extra mile really made today feel like it was the beginning of phase 2. I don't know how to take that, but all I know is that I gave it my all today. That contrast shower is gonna feel gooooood :D

yonder

Speaking of chocolate milk, I realised I never really bothered to check out how much I should be drinking after each workout. Right now I drink about 200ml, but that might be too little, I think. The only thing I could find online said 12-16 ounces/0.35-0.47l, but it doesn't mention how long the workout should be for that amount.

So for those who drink chocolate milk: how much do you drink and why?

Edit: And to those using another recovery drink: what is the amount of proteins and carbs you get from your drink? I figure the appropriate amount of chocolate milk should be whatever it takes to attain those amounts.

thorin

I just completed my first week of P90X yesterday. My ass is still sore from 'Legs and Back' :lol

I got a couple of questions for those with more experience:

Is doing 'Yoga X' once a week enough to improve my flexability a lot, or should I try stretching exercises more often to catch up? I can't even touch my toes without bending my knees :(

Also about recovery drinks: I looked up the P90X recovery drink and it has a 4:1 carb to protein ratio, while some other drinks have 1:4 or more ratio. What's the purpose of the latter type of drink? I'm just curious.

grumble

thorin said:
I just completed my first week of P90X yesterday. My ass is still sore from 'Legs and Back' :lol

Is doing 'Yoga X' once a week enough to improve my flexability a lot, or should I try stretching exercises more often exercises to catch up? I can't even touch my toes without bending my knees :(

Also about recovery drinks: I looked up the P90X recovery drink and it has a 4:1 carb to protein ratio, while some other drinks have 1:4 or more ratio. What's the purpose of the latter type of drink? I'm just curious.

Yoga will help, but it doesn't hurt to have some stretching after your workouts on other days. It'll actually help with soreness, too.

The high carb/protein ratio is because it's intended to let you recover from your workout. It gives you a shot of sugar and a little protein to drive fuel into your muscles and snap them out of a catabolic (muscle-wasting) state. Frankly, it's not a huge deal, but it's helpful. Like discussed previously, chocolate milk is better.

thorin

Thanks grumble. I guess I'll be buying myself a big-ass carton of chocolate milk. It almost sounds too tasty to be true! :D

Yonn said:
Speaking of chocolate milk, I realised I never really bothered to check out how much I should be drinking after each workout. Right now I drink about 200ml, but that might be too little, I think. The only thing I could find online said 12-16 ounces/0.35-0.47l, but it doesn't mention how long the workout should be for that amount.

So for those who drink chocolate milk: how much do you drink and why?

Edit: And to those using another recovery drink: what is the amount of proteins and carbs you get from your drink? I figure the appropriate amount of chocolate milk should be whatever it takes to attain those amounts.

I use a custom whey/dextrose mix for my pwo. I'd say to try to get at least 20-30g of protein post workout, which seems to be the general range for a scoop of protein.

grumble

I disagree that 30g is necessary as a quick PWO anabolic trigger. Better to drink a big glass of chocolate milk (or some mix of stuff), then eat some real food a little later. After 20g, your body stops processing whey protein so well; it's too much volume of a fast-digesting protein, and your muscles have a limited uptake. The rest often gets burned.

yonder

Okay, seems like I need to drink some more... 400ml would give me about 18g of protein and 52g of carbs; that's sounds like a good amount. Thanks!

Burger

Yonn said:
Okay, seems like I need to drink some more... 400ml would give me about 18g of protein and 52g of carbs; that's sounds like a good amount. Thanks!

400ml is perfect. Plus chocolate milk makes a nice little treat to look forward to while sweating your ass off during a workout :)

thorin said:

Is doing 'Yoga X' once a week enough to improve my flexability a lot, or should I try stretching exercises more often to catch up? I can't even touch my toes without bending my knees :(

I've started a second full round of P90X, and despite the fact that I'm taking even more recovery supplements, my muscles are considerably sorer over the course of the week. The only thing I can attribute this to is that I'm not doing Yoga on Thursdays anymore. Since I'm working out before work now, the routine is too long for me. So I've attempted to swap places with another cardio routine like Kenpo, but the past 2 Saturdays I haven't managed to build up the gusto to workout on Saturdays, and I'm paying for it :lol

thorin

Valkyr Junkie said:
Since I'm working out before work now, the routine is too long for me.
Yeah, I had a hard time sqeezing that one into my schedule too. I'm gonna try and shift my routine so yoga lands on a saturday.

Has anyone here gone from barely attempting the crane pose to doing it nice and clean?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Burger convinced me, i'm starting tomorrow, girlfriend is going to buy the equipment we need, then we crack into it.

should be interesting!

yonder

thorin said:
Has anyone here gone from barely attempting the crane pose to doing it nice and clean?
Yeah, at first I thought I'd kill myself if I even tried (almost did, too) but after a few weeks of trying I could hold it for a few seconds. Last time I tried it (week 6) I could hold it for about 15 seconds, so I've seen some good improvement on that one.

And welcome aboard catfish! :D

catfish said:
Burger convinced me, i'm starting tomorrow, girlfriend is going to buy the equipment we need, then we crack into it.

should be interesting!
You better buy a pull-up bar, I started with bands then regrets and pain after I got a bar...

Burger

Sgt.Pepper said:
You better buy a pull-up bar, I started with bands then regrets and pain after I got a bar...

Really ? I can't really put a pull up bar anywhere, so I use bands. I'm going to have to get a stronger one though as I'm not feeling enough burn. I got a door attachment with mine, it's a small strap with a wedge at one end to put in a door jam.

I would like a pull up bar though....

Well, bands don't see to do much when it comes to building muscle. Even though my push-ups have increased a lot (right now I can do around 20-25 push ups), when I tried my new pull-up bar I couldn't lift myself for more than 3 times.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
thorin said:
I have. In the beginning, I could only hold it for a total of 10 seconds (a 5 second hold, followed by a 3 and 2 second hold). Now, I can hold it for over 20 seconds before falling out. Subsequent attempts are also at least 15 seconds. I was surprised at how long I was suddenly able to hold it. The week before, I couldn't even do 15 seconds total :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Sgt.Pepper said:

well we have a beam in the attic I can hang off I think, it's not a bar to grip though, wonder if that will matter much...

also in 7 weeks i"m going on a 3 week vacation. What should I do upon return, start all over again or continue where I left off?

I also see pull ups as being a much much harder exercise than some bands.

grumble

catfish said:
well we have a beam in the attic I can hang off I think, it's not a bar to grip though, wonder if that will matter much...

also in 7 weeks i"m going on a 3 week vacation. What should I do upon return, start all over again or continue where I left off?

Have you looked into doorframe chinup bars?

f-castrillo

Neo Member
catfish said:

I would just repeat whatever phase you were in. If you go on a 3 week vacation in the middle of Phase 2 or 3, just repeat it. But no need to start all the way back in Phase 1 IMO. Your 3 week vacation will be like a super long recovery period, so you'd better work hard to give your body something to recover from!

Just finished chest/tri/shoulders. Took me 2 hours since I was going for failure on each move. I was pretty proud of myself since I was able to do normal push-ups up to the break. From there, I went with assisted since I had nothing left in me, though I was able to do the last push-up routine unassisted. I'm going to skip ab ripper today and probably do it tomorrow with plyo. I had a long day and my diet is all out of order. Need to get some calories in me ASAP. :lol

Also, I bought some lactase enzyme pills at Vitamin Shoppe so that I can get regular milk into my diet. I'm not really sure how many pills I'm supposed to take(these pills need to be taken before any diary intake). It says 1-3 pills, and each one is 125 mg. Is 1 pill sufficient, or should I take at least 2? I've also introduced milk into my pwo, though I'm not mixing it with chocolate milk. I still have around 2lbs of dextrose and around 4lbs of whey protein. I want to give the choco milk a try, but I'm really concerned over the HFCS in the ingredient(I've avoided it since I've started p90x). I did see that Ovaltine had no HFCS. Is that a good powder to go with?

Burger

f-castrillo said:
I would just repeat whatever phase you were in. If you go on a 3 week vacation in the middle of Phase 2 or 3, just repeat it. But no need to start all the way back in Phase 1 IMO. Your 3 week vacation will be like a super long recovery period, so you'd better work hard to give your body something to recover from!

I'm going to be going on the same holiday with catfish, I plan on keeping the diet going, except for the odd bit of drinking, plus the odd holiday meal, but I'm going to be as strict as possible.

As far as working out goes, I'll try and go for runs when I can, and do a few sets of push ups in the mornings to keep me going. Otherwise I plan on starting from where I left off, which will be around the end of phase 2, beginning of phase 3.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Day 1

I gave it my best

and threw up in my mouth a little during ab ripper x

there's obviously something to this program, and it involves NO SHORTCUTS.

The latter stages of Chest & Back are just crazy. My arms are incredibly weak toward the end and I can barely do 5 diamond pushups... What I'm going to do is push myself to the max and then do the pushups on my knees until I can't do any more of those. That's the only way I think I could increase my strength.

Burger

catfish said:
Day 1

I gave it my best

and threw up in my mouth a little during ab ripper x

there's obviously something to this program, and it involves NO SHORTCUTS.

Yeah you have Plyometrics tomorrow, I don't envy you, the first week is hell on earth. Second week is much better though.

koam

I'm not sure what happened, but this week i got a sudden improvements in muscle definition. I do my recovery week next week (I've been on phase 1 for 5 weeks now, it's going to be p120x for me :lol).

I posted my back picture earlier in this thread, it looks even more defined now and it have a nice v-plate that's forming :). Also, my front has huge improvements, chest has flattened and has a nice definition that I didn't even have 4 years ago when I was a hardcore gym rat. Abs are still not visible (i've never been able to get them) but I would be lying if I didn't say there were huge improvements on my gut.

Honestly, I know this is going to sound weird, but I think that "cheating" on my food regime on Sunday and then getting back on it on Monday sparked a metabolism boost that made me lose fat.

koam said:
Honestly, I know this is going to sound weird, but I think that "cheating" on my food regime on Sunday and then getting back on it on Monday sparked a metabolism boost that made me lose fat.

That's actually quite common. If you're calories are too low, your metabolism will slow down to preserve energy. When you increase your calories, it's telling your body that you are not actually starving to death and it's OK to burn some of your bodyfat for energy. It's a tricky thing sometimes and part of the reason why losing weight is so damn difficult.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Well guys, I've tried "working out" and it just never "works out".

I have an extremely fast metabolism, I suppose. I never gain weight no matter how much I eat.

At one point, I had a personal trainer, went to the gym 3x a week, had like 6 full-course-meals a day with protein shakes. My trainer would work me out so hard that I would be dizzy afterwards and have to be carried to the car from my legs simply no longer working.

That was the most unpleasant time of my life, I don't see how anyone could enjoy working out. It just fucking sucks. And I was sore to the point where I couldn't even outstretch my arms for over a week. Working out just renders my body totally useless until it's recovered.

And I never really got any results. From the various times I've tried working out, by myself, or under instruction, it just never seems to yield any results. I grow discouraged and quit. There was no point to put myself under so much pressure, pain, and an incredibly expensive diet just for nothing.

Recently, my doctors think I might have hyperthyroidism, and it might be the cause of my incredibly vigorous metabolism. If it's confirmed, I'll take meds to slow down my thyroid activity, which would in turn slow down my metabolism. Maybe my body just wasn't absorbing anything I was giving it?

Anyway, after that, I'm willing to try this working out thing one more time. Just once. And I hear great things about P90x.

My problem is, I've always been a sort of "sickling". Since the beginning of high school when I had strong allergies, fatigue problems, scoliosis, etc. and I tire quickly. Obviously it's discouraged me from doing cardio in a few years, so I doubt I can even run a quarter-of-a-mile at this point. I'm not even sure if I can do over 15 push-ups.

I suppose, what can I do to prepare myself for P90x? Is there a beginner's video or something I can do until I'm at the level where I can stand the strenuous activity?

Sorry for intruding.

Top Bottom