• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

tribal24

Banned
so third week is about to start and for the second week i lost 4 pounds,that makes it a total of 14 pounds i lost so far. this thing is working so great and im feeling better.

NYR

tribal24 said:
so third week is about to start and for the second week i lost 4 pounds,that makes it a total of 14 pounds i lost so far. this thing is working so great and im feeling better.
Very impressive results! What was your starting weight?

Ripclawe

Banned
Dkong said:
I don't and pain is never a signal from your body your supposed to have while working out.
I did ab ripper X for the 3rd time yesterday and I only had to skip 20 oblique v-ups this time, so I'm getting there. I can also see the progress on my abs daily, this shit is amazing :D (yes, I'm an ectomorph, sue me for easily visible progress).

I just started doing Ab Ripper X and first day I just skipped a bunch but surprisingly on my fifth I can just barely get thru it which is progress.

Poigea

I am on week 3 day 5. So far I have gained 3 pounds and lost 0.5% body fat, which is good, but I was hoping for a quicker impact on my body fat percentage. I am definitely gonna stick with it and hope that I see better results in phase 2 and 3 like some people say.

Ogni-XR21

I still have problems with my knee so I'm still taking a break... it's been 1 1/2 weeks now, this really sucks!!!

How would you guys "restart" once it's better? Start from day 1 or go on from where I was?

Tkawsome said:
Man, Plyo sucks. Not only is it exhausting, but I live on the second floor of an apartment building so every move requires to piss my neighbors off. I have to take it to the gym next time, but I'll look like a like such a tool doing these moves in front of my laptop. :lol
I have this mental image of you with headphones on in front of the laptop doing lateral leap frog squats.

bionic77

Ogni-XR21 said:
I still have problems with my knee so I'm still taking a break... it's been 1 1/2 weeks now, this really sucks!!!

How would you guys "restart" once it's better? Start from day 1 or go on from where I was?
I tweaked my calf and what I did was I skipped calf workouts on leg and back and did the modified moves on plyo. Took two weeks for me to resume the normal workouts. You may want to try something similar.

I wouldn't recommend stopping unless your knee is really fucked up so that you can't even do the modified stuff without experiencing pain.

Ogni-XR21

bionic77 said:
I tweaked my calf and what I did was I skipped calf workouts on leg and back and did the modified moves on plyo. Took two weeks for me to resume the normal workouts. You may want to try something similar.

I wouldn't recommend stopping unless your knee is really fucked up so that you can't even do the modified stuff without experiencing pain.

There's an inflamation in the knee so even stuff like warming up is no good. I'll definitely wait until it's ok again. I'll probably start doing upper body stuff once it's a bit better but at the moment I'm doing what my doctor suggested, which is nothing.

bionic77

Ogni-XR21 said:
There's an inflamation in the knee so even stuff like warming up is no good. I'll definitely wait until it's ok again. I'll probably start doing upper body stuff once it's a bit better but at the moment I'm doing what my doctor suggested, which is nothing.
Yeah obviously follow what the doctor was saying.

I don't know what you did to hurt your knee, but personally the thing that helped my knee rehab the most was stretching (tore ACL in college). You might want to do some stretch X and Yoga X as tolerated (as long as OKed by your doc). I find that that was the thing that helped more than anything else for me getting back to baseline (more than riding the bike and the specialized exercises).

Ogni-XR21

bionic77 said:
Yeah obviously follow what the doctor was saying.

I don't know what you did to hurt your knee, but personally the thing that helped my knee rehab the most was stretching (tore ACL in college). You might want to do some stretch X and Yoga X as tolerated (as long as OKed by your doc). I find that that was the thing that helped more than anything else for me getting back to baseline (more than riding the bike and the specialized exercises).

A friend of mine who has almost the same problem as me was told by his doc to do some stretch stuff (wich also works on getting the water out of there). Well I haven't been to the doc in a week since the one I saw isn't my regular doctor cause he's on vacation right now. Will be back on Monday and see him then.

Right now I won't do the stretching yet since it first started out with a sore tendon in the back of the knee which especially hurt when stretching the leg... but the inflamation has since made it's way to the front of the knee...

Even though P90X is hard I miss doing it at the moment!

radcliff

I'm about to start and am doing the Portion Approach to the Nutrition Plan. I found that I will be eating over 220 grams of protein. This seems like an awful lot. Aren't there some side effects to too much protein, like potentail kidney failure? Is this considered too much protein? Is anyone else on P90X eating this much?

NYR

radcliff said:
I'm about to start and am doing the Portion Approach to the Nutrition Plan. I found that I will be eating over 220 grams of protein. This seems like an awful lot. Aren't there some side effects to too much protein, like potentail kidney failure? Is this considered too much protein? Is anyone else on P90X eating this much?
I normally aim for my weight. So for example, if you weigh 220, eat 220 grams of protein.

I would suggest aiming for the percentage method of the diet. In phase one, 50% of your intake should be from protein. I use an iphone app called "lose it" that calculates for me. That way you are not worried about over eating too much protein.

NYR

Last week of Phase 2 for me.

I'm going to actually still "bring it" in the recovery week, last time was brutal, it was as if I hit the brakes completely (except for Core Synergistics, which is one of the hardest workouts, IMO).

Going to swap out Kenpo and Yoga for a couple of the other workouts I'd like to do.

I'm really happy with my progress, I feel much better and I can tell it's working - when I started, I couldn't do a single pull up, now I can do three or four without a problem.

Fina1e

Fuck

I got through the first day without any problems, but today when I did Plyo I get to about the 30 min mark and had to just stop. One more jump knee tuck or Mary Catherine and I would of ended up vomiting.

I'll try to do the rest tonight to try and redeem myself.

Poigea

tribal24 said:
im at my 4th week!!! the rest week, i made it !! phase 2 im ready for it. so far i lost 15 pounds in those 3 weeks

Congratulations! I am at about the same point, I have 2 more workouts in my first recovery week and then on to phase 2.

I haven't lost weight (actually gained 2 pounds and lost 0.5% body fat still), but I feel better and am starting to notice a difference in the way I look. Definitely gonna stick with it through the 90 days.

I saw a couple of dudes mentioned they tried Beachbody's Insanity. My wife is considering getting the DVDs, and I'm thinking about about using one of their workouts instead of Kenpo X, which I'm having a more and more difficult time getting excited about, the way I do about Plyo X or Yoga X. Does anyone have enough experience with Insanity to tell me which one of the routines would be good to use?

radcliff

NYR said:
I normally aim for my weight. So for example, if you weigh 220, eat 220 grams of protein.

I would suggest aiming for the percentage method of the diet. In phase one, 50% of your intake should be from protein. I use an iphone app called "lose it" that calculates for me. That way you are not worried about over eating too much protein.

I am doing the 50-30-20 meal approach. I end up eating about 230 grams of protein when I weigh about 165. I decided to cut back on the protein and move ahead to the 40-40-20 phase and have reduce my protein intake to what I feel is more reasonable.

Another question for those who have had substantial results. Did you just stick to push ups for your chest muscles? I find it hard to believe some of the results people got were obtained by doing push ups once a week.

Sarye

radcliff said:
I am doing the 50-30-20 meal approach. I end up eating about 230 grams of protein when I weigh about 165. I decided to cut back on the protein and move ahead to the 40-40-20 phase and have reduce my protein intake to what I feel is more reasonable.

Another question for those who have had substantial results. Did you just stick to push ups for your chest muscles? I find it hard to believe some of the results people got were obtained by doing push ups once a week.

You won't be increasing your bench numbers but the results people are posting aren't just from doing push ups once a week obviously. It's also everything else they're doing.

note: I'm assuming when you wrote results you are referring to weight loss.

radcliff

Sarye said:
You won't be increasing your bench numbers but the results people are posting aren't just from doing push ups once a week obviously. It's also everything else they're doing.

note: I'm assuming when you wrote results you are referring to weight loss.

I was referring to results photos where people's chests become completely transformed. I can understand other body parts (like shoulders, back, and arms) getting bigger with only 1 day of focus (or 2 days in back's case), because these are usually secondary muscles worked in other exercises/programs. But the only work your chest gets is the 1 time a week when you do pushups. So I was asking if people to other routines/exercises for their chest, or do they just stick to the pushups.

bionic77

My chest looked a lot better just from doing the pushups (but like the other poster said it is really a combination of everything you are doing). After doing this I can easily knock out 80 pushups without taking a break. Wasn't anywhere near that when I started.

You will definitely get bigger if you focus on an individual area by lifting, but I wonder if you will get in the same overall shape unless you really knew what you were doing (that is the best part about P90x, Tony and the crew are like your own personal trainers).

SmokeMaxX

Aren't most people's pecs already naturally big, it's just hard to visualize because of the fat? Plus, with allt he fat loss, everything will appear much bigger.

radcliff said:
I was referring to results photos where people's chests become completely transformed.

I haven't been following the conversation, but I have noticed that in the 'before/after' photos that come with the product, everyone in the before shots have fairly well-formed pecs - they're just under extra body fat, etc. No one starts 'flat as a board'. I don't think that's necessarily deceptive, but you're dealing with pictures of people who generally have a bit of a head start over a lot of other folks...

I just randomly decided to try one of the sessions, i did Core Synergistics
I've been goin to the gym since about two months ago but never have i sweat so much!
I managed to keep up for the most part but was a bit wobbly in some positions (i have shit balance)
My body is trembling now so that's a good sign!
Despite goin to the gym like 4 times a week i don't have any equipment at home (aside from a few weights), so i'd have to invest in some of that this weekend

I'm going to try this out. I've been running and doing push ups and sit ups lately to lose weight. I'm 220 lbs and I need to lose between 20-30 lbs in the next few months just in case I have to join the military lol

Right, so after finishing my first week I have to say I'm enjoying it. There are some aspects of it that don't work all that great in my house and the time commitment makes it really hard to fit in some days, but it gives a great workout and is helping me learn a more structured routine (I can be pretty random when I'm working out). It's also doing a great job teaching me how to stretch/warm up , those were two areas I never really worked on before.

Kenpo X was fun as hell and Yoga X is hell.

tribal24

Banned
kinda cheated yesterday since it was my birthday so didnt stick with the nutrition plan, well it was olny once . Im on the second day of recovery week and holy shit core synergetic rocks i love it its the hardest one to me now, my push up numbers are increasing i even kept up with them on the jail push ups with the knee. After that i was like how the fuck did i do that. Core synergetics just beat yoga x as my favorite one, becuase this one made me sweat a buckets and was a all around workout.lol:D

Just started today, it was great. I can see how some of you guys get so into it. It's honestly not really much of a chore, I'm very excited about it.

I've always been pretty lean and a little muscular, but the last few months my metabolism slowed down and my diet and beer drinking kept on going. Imagine my shock when I noticed the beginning of a beer belly in the shower a few months ago. That was the wake up call, I guess. After some half-assed attempts to work on my own I buckled down and decided to go for this program and I love all of the positive impressions in this thread.

In case anyone's wondering, I'm 22, about 5'9" and ~175-180 lbs, up from about ~150 a year ago before The Worst Thing That Has Ever Happened To Me happened to me, and I hope to get to about 155 with the extra pounds being new muscle.

I need some adjustable dumbbells for shoulders & arms. I can't manage to pull off proper form otherwise.

It really annoys me because I don't have any money...

I might get this as I already have 4 x 5kg cast iron weights. I need smaller ones and extra bars so I don't burn myself out in the first 15 minutes.

Wrekt

I found a set of the Gold's Gym adjustable 100lb dumbbells on Craigslist for cheap yesterday. This morning I got my first workout with them and they are awesome. Before I only had one of those cheap ass 40lb dumbbell sets from Amazon. Finally I don't have to take 3 minutes adjusting the weights if I go between curls and fly's.

NYR

Chest, Shoulders & Triceps sucks. Only one of the sessions that feels like a chore and one of the only ones I feel sore actually doing it and not after it. I think I'll only be doing it once in phase 3 here, can't stand it.

tribal24

Banned
NYR said:
Chest, Shoulders & Triceps sucks. Only one of the sessions that feels like a chore and one of the only ones I feel sore actually doing it and not after it. I think I'll only be doing it once in phase 3 here, can't stand it.

i start phase 2 chest shoulders and tricep on monday, sounds boring lol. core synegestics kicked my ass the second time around i felt like vomitting after i did it the second time, i think i drink a little to much water during it.

NYR

tribal24 said:
i start phase 2 chest shoulders and tricep on monday, sounds boring lol. core synegestics kicked my ass the second time around i felt like vomitting after i did it the second time, i think i drink a little to much water during it.
If you like push ups, you'll like C, S and Tri's. That is the one good thing about it, it definitely is push up focused.

On the bright side, entering my 2nd to last day of phase 2, down 19 pounds as of this morning. Aiming for 30 total, so I am planning on bringing it here.

Wow...I could be at my high school weight if I reach my goal. Crazy. Never would have thought that would be possible ever again in my life.

I'm starting college next week and in my fitness class we are going to get better grades for the amount of weight we lose. I guess it's as good a time as any to start p90x so I can kill two birds with one stone. I still can't find it Canada though. If anyone can link me to a site that will ship to Canada that would be great. Anyway some questions:

1. Is the nutrition plan specific with ingredients/recipes etc. or is it just a "eat this much carbs, protein and so on"

2. What is the equipment I need to be able to do everything in the videos. Like do I need multiple weights or can I use a certain weight for everything? Should I have a yoga mat?

3. Is there a lot of jumping exercise involved because I have wood floors and they make a lot of noise when doing a lot of movement.

Fina1e

SuperSonic1305 said:
I'm starting college next week and in my fitness class we are going to get better grades for the amount of weight we lose. I guess it's as good a time as any to start p90x so I can kill two birds with one stone. I still can't find it Canada though. If anyone can link me to a site that will ship to Canada that would be great. Anyway some questions:

1. Is the nutrition plan specific with ingredients/recipes etc. or is it just a "eat this much carbs, protein and so on"

2. What is the equipment I need to be able to do everything in the videos. Like do I need multiple weights or can I use a certain weight for everything? Should I have a yoga mat?

3. Is there a lot of jumping exercise involved because I have wood floors and they make a lot of noise when doing a lot of movement.

1. There is an entire meal plan included, but I am an incredibly picky eater and the plan itself is pretty expensive. I usually just try to eat healthy and stick to the ratio of protein/fats/carbs for whatever phase I am in.

2. Chinup/Pullup bar, and some adjustable dumbbells(some exercises you will probably want to use more weight, some less). I just use a towel on the floor for my Yoga mat because my room is carpeted.

3. Yes, most of the cardio exercises(kenpo, plyo, cardio), all have some sort of jumping involved with plyo having the most.

SmokeMaxX

Is it normal to be considerably weaker (in terms of being able to do the exercises) in week 2? Even after a week break, I can't even do close to what I could do during week 1. For example, Week 1 set 1 pushups: 15. Week 2: 5 (plus some cheater push-ups). I just couldn't push any more out.

Also, is it better to pace yourself during the workouts or just go all out during each exercise? Like, with pullups if I can do a maximum of 10, should I try to do 5 during the first set or all 10?

SmokeMaxX said:
Is it normal to be considerably weaker (in terms of being able to do the exercises) in week 2? Even after a week break, I can't even do close to what I could do during week 1. For example, Week 1 set 1 pushups: 15. Week 2: 5 (plus some cheater push-ups). I just couldn't push any more out.

Also, is it better to pace yourself during the workouts or just go all out during each exercise? Like, with pullups if I can do a maximum of 10, should I try to do 5 during the first set or all 10?

Going from 15 to 5 push ups is pretty drastic. Did you eat enough before working out? Get enough sleep?

SmokeMaxX

obijkenobi said:
Going from 15 to 5 push ups is pretty drastic. Did you eat enough before working out? Get enough sleep?

Had a hectic weekend traveling. Two nights in a row with 5 hours of sleep and also had to forego my diet since I was out of town. Today I slept in, woke up late, and didn't eat very much. I guess that's why.

I did a couple of weeks of this before (last year) and I don't remember it being this bad. I've been going by the portion plan and doing creatine/protein shakes after my workouts, but I've been tired and extremely sore ALL of Week 1.

Tacitus_

I just started on the normal p90 and with good reason I'm so badly out of shape :|

Anything I should do with my diet? I'm doing a low carb one so lots of green stuff with roughly 160 grams of meat.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
tribal24 said:
and fucking failed i didnt get the yoga x dvds in my package i got a duplicate of chest shoulders and triceps-_- what do i sub yoga x with?

you download a copy of the product you paid for and do the workout? while you email them with proof, get legal copy sent, delete downloaded copy and hooray, they get paid, you get what you paid for with a grey area of legality stopgap?

Can resistance bands be used to completely replace weights? Are they more effective?

I find them so crap that it makes me want to not work out personally. Weights are much better.

Started again 2 days ago. Did 40 days of the program, then took a 3 week vacation to aussie, then did the whole enjoy summer/drink beers thing until now ~3 months. Back out of shape and hitting into this again. WOW it's hard.

Think I'll improve faster this time, but week 1 is going to HURT.

Wrekt

SuperSonic1305 said:
Can resistance bands be used to completely replace weights? Are they more effective?
Yes, resistance bands can be completely replace weights.

They are more effective for certain things and less effective in others. I'm happy with my weights and don't see a need for the bands but I wouldn't feel like I was cheating if I had to exclusively use them either.

Wrekt

Today puts me around day 52. I do my workouts in the morning and adjust my alarm clock depending on the length of the video for that day. Well I accidentally set my alarm for a hour after I was supposed to wake up so I missed today. I've felt like crap all day because of that.

5 o'clock can't come soon enough. Core Synergistics is calling me.

burnfout

So the general consensus is that the third phase will give the most results..right?

Why is that? Because of the diet? Or because of the nature of the workouts? How is p90x different from regular programs?

I'm not really following the diet ( just cut back on soda,sugar,sweets, you name it) and try to eat proteins and drink water.

Should I still expect the most results out of phase 3? ( I'm halfway phase 2, and haven't lost a pound ). I see results though in my shape.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
burnfout said:
So the general consensus is that the third phase will give the most results..right?

Why is that? Because of the diet? Or because of the nature of the workouts? How is p90x different from regular programs?

I'm not really following the diet ( just cut back on soda,sugar,sweets, you name it) and try to eat proteins and drink water.

Should I still expect the most results out of phase 3? ( I'm halfway phase 2, and haven't lost a pound ). I see results though in my shape.

Because by the third phase if you did the diet right you should have cut a good portion of fat imo..

That's what I have noticed big time so far, from 160 pounds to 151 pounds (I'm 5'8-9ish, didn't have much to lose) in month and 2 weeks the vast majority of the fat/weight noticibly gone from the belly and somewhat the face/chin/cheeks, I got 2 more weeks or a lil less til month two and I see awesome results already. I'm not ripped yet but I don't expect to be til the end of Phase 3 but I see the shape taking place already and some nice definition hiding under a small layer of body soft normal fat that should be removed by the time i'm done with the program. It has been awesome so far, I will workout in a few minutes.. Arms are looking good too and the rest of my body, I have before and after pics in storage on my silly cell phone that I will be ready to post when I'm finished.

ocadman

burnfout said:

Here's a little insight from on how it works straight from someone at Beachbody. http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=96636486820&topic=14554

Top Bottom