• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

ocadman

tabsina said:
should i care about eating junk food (or anything) if i'm underweight? as long as I also have a sufficient amount of protein along with it?

Pretty much what Bertram said. I know I had my cheat days, and while I did cheat more than I should, the rest of the week I was pretty strict with my diet.

watching your abs appear is the most goddamn amazing thing ever. I did p90x for about 4 weeks, then stopped due to some summer work but thought "eh, what the hell, ab ripper x is only like 20 minutes I can work that in" and my god am I glad i did. now i just gotta get back into the full routine.

Did cardio tonight. Really good stuff! One thing that has been awesome is the lactic acid that had built up in me the last month or so is gone. I feel good!! That's one benefit of working out for most of your life, takes no time to get back into it. Tomorrow is abs which I'm not looking forward to as I have always had s problem with situps and crunches. Nevertheless i'm loving this.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
2nd month in guys, shit is fucking working.. If anyone hadn't done this yet I suggest you do!

I do double kenpo x instead if yoga x for this first round of the 3 month cycle I'll follow the sched by the book the 2nd round but man I have seen some god damned awesome changes so far in my physique.. I will post 1st to last day pics in about a month and 1 week from now to display my first round results.

If you haven't started this program I suggest you fucking do and take your hour and ten minute avg per workout out day seriously following this program, it will change you.

Also I suggest you create a god damned for life diet, it'll help a ton.

Cut your junk intake to one cheat meal per 2 weeks on a single day IMO. If it's a slice of pizza or 2 per week it's cool but the main thing is avoid sugary crap ALL the time.

reddmyst

Slayer-33 said:
2nd month in guys, shit is fucking working.. If anyone hadn't done this yet I suggest you do!

I do double kenpo x instead if yoga x for this first round of the 3 month cycle I'll follow the sched by the book the 2nd round but man I have seen some god damned awesome changes so far in my physique.. I will post 1st to last day pics in about a month and 1 week from now to display my first round results.

If you haven't started this program I suggest you fucking do and take your hour and ten minute avg per workout out day seriously following this program it will change you.

Good to know it works (and good for you and everyone who's had results), i'm a fat bastard so I'm starting it (I just cut off soda from my diet).

Once I've hit my goal, I'll be posting before/after pics.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
reddmyst said:
Good to know it works (and good for you and everyone who's had results), i'm a fat bastard so I'm starting it (I just cut off soda from my diet).

Once I've hit my goal, I'll be posting before/after pics.
If you are fat then you will see even more drastic changes fast.

Drink lots of water and definitely cut the sugared regular soda. If anything have a diet coke every now and then to help you stay off the worse ones. Don't eat cakes try to eat a complete complex carb/protein meal about 1 1/2 hours before all your workouts, IMO def do a double kenpo x routine instead of yoga x and STiCK to plyometrics, it'll be tough on you but you need to do it, it burns off a ton of calories. Don't do rockstar hops IMO and do jump knee tucks instead, rockstar hops can possibly injure you easier and seem a lot more worthless than jump knee tucks.

My iPod keeps putting IMO in all caps don't mind it lol.

Do the program man, it will chance your life. Make a list of the right foods to eat for life and you will be set. Get motivated and make it a rule to workout during the scheduled days.

Skipping Yoga X? Why would you do that? You sweat like crazy during that, and you need the flexibility and leg/core strength it provides as part of the total package. Muscles and flexibility help with weight loss.

Do the Yoga X. It's the fountain of youth.

I did Yoga X yesterday and it was fantastic. It was so much harder than I was expecting. Naturally, there were several moves I was not capable of doing, but a few times, I managed to exceed my own expectations.

While the rest day is supposed to be Day 7, I'm taking it today. I went to a bar to watch the Ohio State game and simply could not avoid bad food. So I'll do the final two days and start Week 2 immediately.

Is it okay to be a bit flexible in terms of rest days? I mean, I can't imagine I'll totally ruin my progress by moving it.

Did Arms and Shoulders today. Really good workout. I'm going to have to use more weight though because although I was sweating a lot, I wasn't as sore and out of breath as I should have been. Did the AbX right afterwards which was a bad idea because I couldn't get through 60% of the workout. I bought some Fish Oil yesterday with weights, a box of the Kashi bars and have been eating very well. My problem is not eating enough, I'm just not hungry for a complete meal.

Also, looking at the daily diet calendar, I don't understand how anybody without a personal chef can follow it. The different soups you need to have daily are to be homemade? Who has the time? You probably shouldn't do Campbells or anything since they put a ton of sodium in the soups. How are you guys following the meal calendar? What is your average meal you eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

tribal24

Banned
guys im in my second recovery week almost at 60 days! I wanted to ask someone im trying to add rice back into my diet but is brown rice really much different then white rice?

Well, I made it through Week 1 almost intact.

I've been experiencing a slight bit of groin pain the last couple of days, so I'm adding in an extra rest day today. I definitely do not want to push myself too hard and get a serious injury. It already feels much better today than it did yesterday, so I'm confident I'll be good to go tomorrow.

That said, I came through Week 1 very confident in my ability to make it through the program. So tomorrow, Week 2 begins.

tribal24 said:
guys im in my second recovery week almost at 60 days! I wanted to ask someone im trying to add rice back into my diet but is brown rice really much different then white rice?

It's certainly the better choice.

shim

Neo Member
I've finished up my second cycle a few weeks back and I was wondering if anyone else was just getting bored of the program? What next? I did the whole insanity+p90x deal during my second cycle and saw some great results, but it got to a point where I could recite what tony and shaun t would say. Any suggestions?

Wrekt

Today was day 74 for me. About a week ago was the first day I noticed ab muscles appearing. Now I look in the mirror about 40 times a day like an asshole.

After being a skinny twig my entire life it is hard to not rip my shirt off in public like I'm Hulk Hogan and showing off my lopsided 2-pack. I need to find the other 4 muscles first.

Wrekt said:
Today was day 76 for me. About a week ago was the first day I noticed ab muscles appearing. Now I look in the mirror about 40 times a day like an asshole.

After being a skinny twig my entire life it is hard to not rip my shirt off in public like I'm Hulk Hogan and showing off my lopsided 2-pack. I need to find the other 4 muscles first.
:lol :lol :lol

I finished the first week a few days ago. I haven't been following the diet nearly at all but I am trying to eat along the lines of whats recommended. Lots of fruits and vegetables. Staying away from junk food. Eating enough calories. Having snacks throughout the day (kash bars, string cheese, etc.) drinking enough water. I definitely see a difference and FEEL better. I don't know if I can make it the 90 days though.

shim said:
I've finished up my second cycle a few weeks back and I was wondering if anyone else was just getting bored of the program? What next? I did the whole insanity+p90x deal during my second cycle and saw some great results, but it got to a point where I could recite what tony and shaun t would say. Any suggestions?
How were you combining Insanity and P90X?

I guess you could try CrossFit, but that's a lot more involved as far as time and resources go.

burnfout

Battersea Power Station said:
How were you combining Insanity and P90X?

I guess you could try CrossFit, but that's a lot more involved as far as time and resources go.

I work out with the video om my computer with volume down, and either ipod in, or watching xfiles during the workouts..

I just have to see the name of the workout to do the exercises.

Momar

aka Ryder
Alright, I think it's time I finally gave this a shot. Been hearing a lot and (more recently) reading a lot, and P90X definitely looks like it's worth a shot. With a job that has me sitting on my ass for 9+ hours a day in front of a computer, I find it significantly harder to stay active (relative to being out and about all the time in college). I've been working on improving my diet by cutting out junk food, and have been biking back and forth from work every day, along with 1-2 hour bike rides on some really nice trails around here (if you love to bike, Seattle is the place, I'm telling you).

Also, I gave Ab Ripper X a "try" just to see what I was up against, and I think I almost died :lol I was merely watching a youtube vid of someone doing what he claimed were the harder exercise (he cut out the easier ones due to time), and I just couldn't keep up, I was completely pooped about halfway through. I'm 5'10" and 175lbs, so losing weight isn't the main priority for me, but it would definitely be nice to slim down a bit.

reddmyst

Slayer-33 said:
If you are fat then you will see even more drastic changes fast.

Drink lots of water and definitely cut the sugared regular soda. If anything have a diet coke every now and then to help you stay off the worse ones. Don't eat cakes try to eat a complete complex carb/protein meal about 1 1/2 hours before all your workouts, IMO def do a double kenpo x routine instead of yoga x and STiCK to plyometrics, it'll be tough on you but you need to do it, it burns off a ton of calories. Don't do rockstar hops IMO and do jump knee tucks instead, rockstar hops can possibly injure you easier and seem a lot more worthless than jump knee tucks.

My iPod keeps putting IMO in all caps don't mind it lol.

Do the program man, it will chance your life. Make a list of the right foods to eat for life and you will be set. Get motivated and make it a rule to workout during the scheduled days.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I should be getting it sometime next month, in the meantime I'm changing my diet first and do some regular exercise.

NYR

shim said:
P90x:MC cones out in 2011...Follow up to p90x.

Anyone else hate the disc packaging? It really sucks. It's extremely difficult to get the discs back in and I've already seen a few scratches on my DVDs.

You'd think for over a hundred bucks, they'd give you a decent case. I need to get some slim disc cases to put them in instead.

burnfout said:
I work out with the video om my computer with volume down, and either ipod in, or watching xfiles during the workouts..

I just have to see the name of the workout to do the exercises.
I was asking which parts of Insanity you're incorporating. I'm looking to do that too. Are you doing one routine from each program every day?

LCfiner

BertramCooper said:
Anyone else hate the disc packaging? It really sucks. It's extremely difficult to get the discs back in and I've already seen a few scratches on my DVDs.

You'd think for over a hundred bucks, they'd give you a decent case. I need to get some slim disc cases to put them in instead.

yeah, I switched over to a different disc holder right away.

and a few months ago I just copied all the discs on my computer and moved them over to my PS3 hard drive, so I don't even bother with the discs at all.

lljride

Yeah, the disc packaging is bullshit. I definitely need to find a better case to put them all in.

Just started this, finished my day 4 workout last night (Yoga X). Did okay for a while with the yoga routine, but my legs were giving out completely during some of the balance poses. Between this and Ab Ripper X definitely realizing that my legs are the weakest part of my body (legs were never as sore as the day after the first Ab routine). Gotta say though, the corpse pose at the end was about the best thing ever.:D

Been sticking faithfully to the portion approach for about 2 weeks now, only eating combinations of the foods they recommended. Haven't had a soda that whole time and I still have more consistent energy throughout the day than I've had in years.

Unfortunately my plyo disc doesn't work. Subbed in X Stretch because I was sore, but I know I need the cardio. If I don't get a replacement soon I guess I'll sub in Cardio X or Kenpo X next time, but it sounds like plyo is one of the ones you don't want to skip.

shim

Neo Member
I was asking which parts of Insanity you're incorporating. I'm looking to do that too. Are you doing one routine from each program every day?

Basically, I did the weight lifting days of P90X, and used Insanity as my cardio/plyo/yoga replacements. Insanity Plyo is a harder and more cardio intense version of the p90x version.
Example Schedule:
Monday: Chest, Shoulders, Tri / Ab ripper X
Tuesday: Max Plyometric Interval Circuit
Wednesday: Biceps, Back / Ab ripper X
Thursday: Max Cardio
Friday: Legs / Ab ripper X
Saturday: Any Insanity video I felt like doing. (they're all pretty similar)

I realize that for the P90X program to "work" we need to incorporate the yoga, but honestly I was soo sick of it after my first cycle, I just tossed it and made sure to stretch well.
With this hybrid program, I saw the best results. I posted a fat/fit picture in the weight loss thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23493428&postcount=3216

LCfiner

lljride said:
Yeah, the disc packaging is bullshit. I definitely need to find a better case to put them all in.

Just started this, finished my day 4 workout last night (Yoga X). Did okay for a while with the yoga routine, but my legs were giving out completely during some of the balance poses. Between this and Ab Ripper X definitely realizing that my legs are the weakest part of my body (legs were never as sore as the day after the first Ab routine). Gotta say though, the corpse pose at the end was about the best thing ever.:D

Been sticking faithfully to the portion approach for about 2 weeks now, only eating combinations of the foods they recommended. Haven't had a soda that whole time and I still have more consistent energy throughout the day than I've had in years.

Unfortunately my plyo disc doesn't work. Subbed in X Stretch because I was sore, but I know I need the cardio. If I don't get a replacement soon I guess I'll sub in Cardio X or Kenpo X next time, but it sounds like plyo is one of the ones you don't want to skip.

Cardio is one of my favorite routines, actually. it's around 10-15 minutes each of yoga, kenpo, plyo and core. it doesn't get boring since each section goes by so quick.

for times when you may be a little sick or have a muscle strain and can't do plyo, Cardio is a decent substitute.

and I dumped kenpo X entirely last fall and mix in Cardio or shoulders/arms on day 6. I'm much happier with that setup.

burnfout

Lol I quoted wrong, I wanted to quote the guy who said the exercises were getting boring, ha!

NH Apache

Banned
So I had to stop halfway yesterday through shoulders and back because I puked/nearly passed out. I drank far too much coffee earlier in the day and not enough water - not a good combo.

After the first 20 minutes of that particular workout, my arms are trashed and I can marely do 5 or 6 pushups. The chair really helps for the pullups. I am no longer sore, but certainly feel the workout.

This is what essentially been eating:

Breakfast: 4 eggs scrambled with 2 pieces of turkey bacon
Lunch: spinach salad with a can of tuna and 2 eggs
Dinner: Chicken (6-8 ounces) with spinach warmed in a pan with onions, garlic, a bit of olive oil and sometimes tomato.

I've been trying to keep away from carbs (with the exception of an occasional half cup of fat free yogurt) and going for protein only.

Daily I'm averaging about 35 grams of protein for breakfast, 40 for lunch, and about 35 for dinner. I can't drink whey protein as it fucks with my stomach so I'm trying to make for it by getting it elsewhere. about 110 grams of protein per day for a 190 pound person. I know its low, but where can I add in?

-off to do plyo and Ab ripper (make up from yesterday)

tribal24

Banned
so im officially on my 3rd phase day 63 so far from day one

regurlar push ups from 4 to 30

military push ups from 3 to 15

diamonds from 3 to 15

i was so happy when i finished chest and back becuase i was horrible at push ups before, one thing i noticed after the recovery week plyo seems to get harder for me since i havent done it that week.

suoodS

Hey guys, me and a friend plan on doing P90x full force, I only have one problem though.

I don't like changing the way I eat..

Is it absolutely necessary to adopt the nutrition plan?

imtehman

Banned
Noez said:
Hey guys, me and a friend plan on doing P90x full force, I only have one problem though.

I don't like changing the way I eat..

Is it absolutely necessary to adopt the nutrition plan?

uhhhhhh yea, eating healthy is more important than anything you do in the gym.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
shit made it to day 14 and it's coming up to a 2 week break. Damnit, study/work/my girlfriend finishing up with her masters kicked p90s ass again. fuck it we're just going to pick up where we left off. Best thing I can suggest is NEVER take breaks. If you miss 1 day, it's SO EASY to miss 2.

suoodS

imtehman said:
uhhhhhh yea, eating healthy is more important than anything you do in the gym.

I don't eat healthy, but I don't think I eat unhealthy either.

There are many food/diet suggestions in this thread..are there any that are considered "best"? If so, can you quote/link me to it? I just began browsing this + the weight loss thread.

Thanks in advance.

Noez said:
I don't eat healthy, but I don't think I eat unhealthy either.

There are many food/diet suggestions in this thread..are there any that are considered "best"? If so, can you quote/link me to it? I just began browsing this + the weight loss thread.

Thanks in advance.
You're going to need protein if you want to put on muscle. It won't happen if you don't.

As an aside: As your muscle rebuilds itself it will burn calories even when you're resting so it's worth doing it even if you just want to lose weight.

suoodS

Napoleonthechimp said:
You're going to need protein if you want to put on muscle. It won't happen if you don't.

As an aside: As your muscle rebuilds itself it will burn calories even when you're resting so it's worth doing it even if you just want to lose weight.

Are you suggesting it as a food item? I already have a protein shake.

My primary goal is to gain muscles, and tone my current body. I'm assuming weight loss will naturally come with it.

People who think Plyo is the hardest workout are in denial. It's Back & Legs. The legs, specifically. I have strong thighs btw, and it STILL killed me. Slayed, actually. :lol

shim

Neo Member
Noez said:
My primary goal is to gain muscles, and tone my current body. I'm assuming weight loss will naturally come with it.

IMO the best way to gain muscle and tone up is a combination of eating right and exercise (not a shocker). But the best way to look at it is this;
Your diet will determine how fat you are, and exercise will determine what you look like underneath all that fat. They really go hand in hand.
I used to workout like crazy and eat whatever I wanted...gained about 15 pounds of muscle + fat. Saw huge increase in strength, but also in waist size.
Only until I started dieting did I see results I was happy with. The cleaner the diet the faster you'll tone up.

shim

Neo Member
sparky2112 said:
People who think Plyo is the hardest workout are in denial. It's Back & Legs. The legs, specifically. I have strong thighs btw, and it STILL killed me. Slayed, actually. :lol
sneaky lunges, calf raises, wall squats all can go to hell.

Epix

sparky2112 said:

I'm +1 for Core Synergistics. .......yup +1.

LCfiner

sparky2112 said:

no way, dude. the pace is what keeps plyo on top of the heap. I'm still around 30 pounds overweight and i can keep up with the sneaky lunges and the squats, lunges, whatever just fine (although wall squats are the devil). A few pauses here and there but nothing too terrible. I feel the burn, but it's doable.

but plyo can still put the fear of god in me. it just doesn't stop and the cardio performance it demands is killer for me, who's still dealing with those extra pounds.

I can do about 2 wide pull ups before I start (I weigh 90kg) but once my shoulders and arms are tired from the chest & back routine I can barely manage any.

Noez said:
Are you suggesting it as a food item? I already have a protein shake.

Just drinking Whey protein shakes won't do your stomach much good. The shakes are a supplement to your diet so you've got to incorporate a variety of different protein sources.

sparky2112 said:

Wall squats are definitely a bitch, the rest, not so much.

I do Plyo with a weight vest :D

shim

Neo Member
Valkyr Junkie said:
Wall squats are definitely a bitch, the rest, not so much.

I do Plyo with a weight vest :D

If you guys want a real challenge, try Insanity's Plyometric circuit. First time I tried, was sweating buckets after the warmup. This is my plyo workout now. Much more cardio intensive, but I think it's awesome. If you can do THIS with a weight vest I'll buy you a beer protein shake.

Wrekt

I've been a little more focused on my diet the past few days but I've been hearing some conflicting reports. I'm mostly concerned with ab definition as I have 10 days left and my core looks nowhere near some of the 'after' pics I've seen from people with had similar builds in their 'before' pics. I didn't follow the diet guide but I did completely change my diet that I've been extremely strict with.

So I started out fairly skinny and have lost most of the little flab I had to begin with. Problem is that I hardly see any definition in my abs (I posted about a week ago citing that I can only see a bit of the "top 2" of a 6 pack.) When I lay down and do a sit up, I can put my hand on my stomach and feel all of the muscles under there, they just don't show when I'm standing. After doing a little research it seems half of the people say you need more protein to push the muscles out farther and the other half of the people say you need to cut calories and that your abs are already there and the skin just needs to tighten over them.

Anybody got any advice for me? Or at least have some suggestions on a low carb/high protein food. Right now my diet looks something like this:

P90X at 5 am -> Protein shake w/ skim milk (270 calories, 28g protein)
7 am - banana
10 am - can of tuna or fruit
12 pm - can of tuna and baby carrots
3 pm - protein bar (200 calories, 20g protein)
Light cardio at 6 pm -> 4 egg omelet
9 pm - Sunflower seeds or protein smoothie (225 calories, 20g protein)

To me it seems like I'm a little low on calories and really low on protein but I'm new to this and don't really know what I need to sub in or out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

shim

Neo Member
Wrekt said:
Problem is that I hardly see any definition in my abs (I posted about a week ago citing that I can only see a bit of the "top 2" of a 6 pack.) When I lay down and do a sit up, I can put my hand on my stomach and feel all of the muscles under there, they just don't show when I'm standing. After doing a little research it seems half of the people say you need more protein to push the muscles out farther and the other half of the people say you need to cut calories and that your abs are already there and the skin just needs to tighten over them.

Anybody got any advice for me? Or at least have some suggestions on a low carb/high protein food. Right now my diet looks something like this:

P90X at 5 am -> Protein shake w/ skim milk (270 calories, 28g protein)
7 am - banana
10 am - can of tuna or fruit
12 pm - can of tuna and baby carrots
3 pm - protein bar (200 calories, 20g protein)
Light cardio at 6 pm -> 4 egg omelet
9 pm - Sunflower seeds or protein smoothie (225 calories, 20g protein)

I've been in that position before where I could see my top 2 abs, but not see the rest. More protein is NOT the answer. Bodyfat is evenly distributed through your body, it varies from person to person, but this is generally the rule. You just need to drop another percent or two. If you can see the top two abs, you're almost there.
Regarding your diet, throw in a multivitamin dude! Make sure you're consistent with you're workouts. Are you taking progress pictures? If you noticed a plataeu in your weight loss, try increasing your calories to get your metabolism started up again. I'm assuming you're doing ab ripper 3x week too?

Top Bottom