• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

D23

puebla said:
damn, i have to try it now, i'd like to push myself to the absolute limit.

if u want to. u can do p90x hybrid schedule. so instead of doing plyometrics/ kenpox. u do the stuff from insanity!

ocadman

D23 said:
I did the plyometrics workout from insanity!! i can do plyometrics from p90x without any pausing.. after beeing on the program for a month now. but insanity plyometrics is on another level.. ITS HARD.. ITS INSANE.. i had to take a break almost every 10 minutes.

insanity is like plyo on crack times 100

Yup. Insanity plyo is on a whole other level. Just wait till you try MAX insanity plyo. If Insanity is like plyo on crack times 100, MAX Insanity plyo is that times 1000.

D23

ocadman said:
Yup. Insanity plyo is on a whole other level. Just wait till you try MAX insanity plyo. If Insanity is like plyo on crack times 100, MAX Insanity plyo is that times 1000.

GLORIOUS :D

Gigglepoo

I just ordered this. I'm a little terrified because I'm pretty out of shape right now. Is there anything else I need with the standard P90X package? Do I need weights or could I use those elastic tension rope things? Do I need one of those chin up bars that you attach to doors?

D23

Gigglepoo said:
I just ordered this. I'm a little terrified because I'm pretty out of shape right now. Is there anything else I need with the standard P90X package? Do I need weights or could I use those elastic tension rope things? Do I need one of those chin up bars that you attach to doors?

if you have a resistance bands.. then by all means you can use that throughout the whole program. i do recommend you invest on some dumbbells/chin up bars. Also some yoga mat would probably be helpful.

ocadman

D23 said:
if you have a resistance bands.. then by all means you can use that throughout the whole program. i do recommend you invest on some dumbbells/chin up bars. Also some yoga mat would probably be helpful.

Agree on the dumbbells and chin-up bar. You can still get a good workout using the resistance bands, but I think you can maximize your results with dumbbells and doing actual pull-ups. Good luck!

bionic77

ocadman said:
Agree on the dumbbells and chin-up bar. You can still get a good workout using the resistance bands, but I think you can maximize your results with dumbbells and doing actual pull-ups. Good luck!
Not to mention how awesome it feels to be able to crank out a lot of pullups by the end of the program.

And that description of Insanity was scary.

cantona222

You guys made me excited. I'll give it a try.

One Q: I think I need muscle building more than fat burning, will P90X work for me?

Here are a couple of pics of me taken recently

11u9308.jpg

2jdifcm.jpg

cbox

Can anyone recommend doing this with someone else? I tried this a year ago and fell off the boat after a bad breakup, being depressed doesn't really give you the motivation to work out. Anyways, I told my bro about it and I think It'd be cool if we did it together.

I'm 160 lbs right now and an avid cyclist so i'm fit but I still have some fat to burn off from my big days (220lbs). My diet is awesome but I just can't seem to burn these last few pounds off my midection.

So any tips for two people doing it? Or for someone wanting to get back into the system? Also, I tried plyo once and nearly threw up, any advice on how to avoid that?

Thanks!

D23

eternal prize said:
Can anyone recommend doing this with someone else? I tried this a year ago and fell off the boat after a bad breakup, being depressed doesn't really give you the motivation to work out. Anyways, I told my bro about it and I think It'd be cool if we did it together.

I'm 160 lbs right now and an avid cyclist so i'm fit but I still have some fat to burn off from my big days (220lbs). My diet is awesome but I just can't seem to burn these last few pounds off my midection.

So any tips for two people doing it? Or for someone wanting to get back into the system? Also, I tried plyo once and nearly threw up, any advice on how to avoid that?

Thanks!

absolutely!! i think its a lot better if you do it with someone. because you can push each other to the limit and motivate each other.

as for plyo.. just pace yourself, and dont force it. if your feeling a little bit tired, hit the pause button. like tony said "dont let your ego get a hold of you.."

DominoKid

anyone else have a weird pop whenever they do the Fifer Scissors in Ab Ribber X?
i'm guessing lower back/hip area?

that particular exercise isnt difficult on my abs but the popping noise freaks me out a bit.

nubbe

I love it when my training shorts get so wet and heavy from sweat that they almost fall off and the body shivers from exhaustion.

Feels good man

But having sweat come into the eyes burns and makes me blind for a few minutes... not so good :|
Stupid salt

oatmeal

Banned
nubbe said:
I love it when my training shorts get so wet and heavy from sweat that they almost fall off and the body shivers from exhaustion.

Feels good man

But having sweat come into the eyes burns and makes me blind for a few minutes... not so good :|
Stupid salt

The calf raises from Legs and Back makes me sweat like crazy and since I'm holding weights I can't wipe it out of my eyes. So I do that with my eyes closed.

Every damn time.

As for you cantana,

I think you're a lost cause. You'll never have a good body. Sorry bud.

Starting the program again. Last time I did it I lost +20 pounds by doing the vids and treating their diet as if it were the second coming. This time I'm just doing it to keep myself in some semblance of shape. I'm getting a little flabby and it's about time I got serious about this again.

I did Pylo the other day for the first time in about 6 months and I wished death on my friends and enemies alike. Can't wait till I master that video again :D

Wrekt

Today was the beginning of my first recovery week. Yoga twice this week? I'd rather have 7 days of Plyo in a row than do yoga another goddamn time. A hour and 35 minutes is just way too long.

burnfout

fuck me, almost three weeks done, just got done with plyo for the third time, stepped on the scale, and I gained a fucking pound!

I will never lose weight. Totally depressing.

Poigea

Wrekt said:
Today was the beginning of my first recovery week. Yoga twice this week? I'd rather have 7 days of Plyo in a row than do yoga another goddamn time. A hour and 35 minutes is just way too long.

I just started and am in my first week. I am doing Yoga for the first time today. I have heard a bunch of people say the same thing as you, afraid to see what its like.

oatmeal

Banned
burnfout said:
fuck me, almost three weeks done, just got done with plyo for the third time, stepped on the scale, and I gained a fucking pound!

I will never lose weight. Totally depressing.

Muscle weights more than fat.

If you're gaining muscle (which you will be, especially at the beginning), your 'weight' won't change too much. It will drop, though, don't worry. Keep going.

Burger

Man that chick on the Legs and Back workout, the one that's training to be a dentist... Goddamnn. Her legs are like tree trunks, and for some weird reason I find that very... interesting...

NYR

Started phase 2 today, down 11 pounds so far!

Chest, Shoulders & Triceps is brutal. Near the end, I literally fell to the ground every time I tried to do a push up. So tough. My upper arms are still sore, like a wet bag of sand hanging from each of them.

Actually looking forward to plyo tomorrow, just for something familar!

Ultimatum

Banned
cantona222 said:

One Q: I think I need muscle building more than fat burning, will P90X work for me?

Here are a couple of pics of me taken recently

11u9308.jpg

2jdifcm.jpg
looks like you need to hit the gym and do some weights rather than going through p90x

ocadman

bionic77 said:
Not to mention how awesome it feels to be able to crank out a lot of pullups by the end of the program.

And that description of Insanity was scary.

It really does! Still amazed at how far I've come.

I know you're looking for a 30 min workout, but I'd like to recommend the first phase of Insanity. Workouts are 40 min at most and that includes the stretching and cooldown. If you don't mind cutting down on those two parts, it's fairly close to 30-35 min.

Ultimatum said:
looks like you need to hit the gym and do some weights rather than going through p90x

I wouldn't completely turn him away from P90X. It does take into account people who want to bulk up.

bionic77

ocadman said:
It really does! Still amazed at how far I've come.

I know you're looking for a 30 min workout, but I'd like to recommend the first phase of Insanity. Workouts are 40 min at most and that includes the stretching and cooldown. If you don't mind cutting down on those two parts, it's fairly close to 30-35 min.
You guys have scared me away from Insanity with your talk of how it makes Plyo look like a joke. Even now while I can get through Plyo, I would never say it is easy.

And isn't insanity more cardio? I haven't settled on a routine but so far what I am doing is pushups, pullups and Ab ripper X 3 times a week and I through in Plyo and Yogo in there as well. Not ideal but I don't want to just sit on the coach.

edit: Also the ripped dude doesn't really need to do anything. Seems like his body is beach ready right now.

Ogni-XR21

Tomorrow is my stretch-day, really looking forward to that. Also next week is my first recovery week, I had been doing phase 1 for 4 weeks now. Looking forward to a change...

I honestly don't know why people complain about yoga being too long, it's just 15 minutes more than a regular day with ab ripper. Yoga already is one of my favorite workouts! Looking forward to doing it twice next week!!!

I might have to do cardio x just out of curiosity, since you never seem to do it during the classic version...

tribal24

Banned
im on day 2 now fucking plyo killed me 40 mins in and i fucking had to take the longest fucking break. next week im gonna get through whole thing

NYR

tribal24 said:
im on day 2 now fucking plyo killed me 40 mins in and i fucking had to take the longest fucking break. next week im gonna get through whole thing
It gets easier. Stick with it!! Just did plyo for the 4th time today. Got through it all. First week for me was very similar to yours.

As tony says: Do your best, forget the rest!

ocadman

bionic77 said:
You guys have scared me away from Insanity with your talk of how it makes Plyo look like a joke. Even now while I can get through Plyo, I would never say it is easy.

And isn't insanity more cardio? I haven't settled on a routine but so far what I am doing is pushups, pullups and Ab ripper X 3 times a week and I through in Plyo and Yogo in there as well. Not ideal but I don't want to just sit on the coach.

edit: Also the ripped dude doesn't really need to do anything. Seems like his body is beach ready right now.

Yea, It's just really, really, ridiculously intense cardio with some light strength training, mainly different types of pushups, thrown in, especially when you get to Phase 2.

I'm about to finish Insanity and am also interested in finding a good 30 min. workout to do once I'm done. I wish I could do another round of P90X but I just don't have the time.

SpecX

This is my 3rd time trying to get through this program. I've never made it past day 3 and this time I'm determined to go all the way. Reading some of the comments here has given me that will power to keep it up. Although my body is still sore, I'm ready to get into today's workout.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Week 12 is finally upon me. :D

Going to take a 2 week break after I finish (still going to do kenpo twice a week) and then start over again.

cantona222 said:

I always thought px90 was taylored to the overweight. I'm sure you can have some level of sucess with it but my take is you should be doing heavy lifting if you're not already.

Tom Penny

I just did cardio X last night. I'm not really doing the whole thing. Just borrowing my brothers videos. I realized I'm in terrible shape :lol I'm not trying to get ripped just leaner and have more energy in general.

Wrekt

Ogni-XR21 said:
I honestly don't know why people complain about yoga being too long, it's just 15 minutes more than a regular day with ab ripper. Yoga already is one of my favorite workouts! Looking forward to doing it twice next week!!!
The length is a big problem, true. 15 extra minutes out of the day is a lot when I only have 4 hours a day where I'm not at work/sleeping.

The biggest problem is how long it feels. You are constantly just doing the same things over and over again. Chataronga, upward dog, plank, downward dog, warrior one, chataronga, upward dog, plank, downward dog, warrior one, warrior two, chataronga, repeat for like 45 minutes. Kenpo is 55 minutes and feels like it is 25. Yoga is 95 minutes and feels like it is 3 hours to me.

LM4sure

Banned
I'm not a big fan of yoga either. It is way too long.

As for kenpo, I don't even do that anymore. It's a waste of time. I don't feel like I'm burning many calories at all. So now I just run for an hour. I can burn 800-900 calories running for an hour and I enjoy it more than that kenpo garbage.

Is there a separate Insanity thread? I'm about done with P90x and I'm thinking of trying out Insanity. Mix things up a bit. Even though there is a lot of variety with P90x doing it for 90 days, it does start to get stale.

tribal24

Banned
NYR said:
It gets easier. Stick with it!! Just did plyo for the 4th time today. Got through it all. First week for me was very similar to yours.

As tony says: Do your best, forget the rest!

hopefully it gets easier thanks for the support, my legs back and chest are sore but it feels so good.anyone know a good snack besides cottage cheese and fruits, would raw nuts be considered good? cause in the fat shredder plan grocery list i see it listed there but they say olny for doubles

f-castrillo

Neo Member
LM4sure said:

As for kenpo, I don't even do that anymore. It's a waste of time. I don't feel like I'm burning many calories at all. So now I just run for an hour. I can burn 800-900 calories running for an hour and I enjoy it more than that kenpo garbage.

Is there a separate Insanity thread? I'm about done with P90x and I'm thinking of trying out Insanity. Mix things up a bit. Even though there is a lot of variety with P90x doing it for 90 days, it does start to get stale.
We should just call this the official BeachBody Workout thread

Ill Saint

TheRagnCajun said:
I always thought px90 was taylored to the overweight. I'm sure you can have some level of sucess with it but my take is you should be doing heavy lifting if you're not already.
It's for anyone who wants to get fit, and you can certainly build a good amount of muscle with it if you go hard. I bulked up significantly with the program (10kg in 5 months).

Gigglepoo

I bought the Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar and can't install it anywhere in my apartment. I'm not pleased. Any advice/alternatives?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
How much room do you need to do this? I'll be dorming in a month so I doubt that's enough room

ant_

Jamesfrom818 said:
Dorm room is probably not going to be big enough. Is there a community room for your hall?
Yeah I'm pretty sure there is one. Would it be weird to do it down there?

bionic77

K2Valor said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure there is one. Would it be weird to do it down there?
You can do all of the P90X stuff in a dorm room probably with the exception of Plyo. Plyo needs some space and you definitely look like a jackass doing it (same for Yoga).

I wouldn't worry about the looking like a jackass part though. All the girls will come to watch when you are done the program and ripped like a mofo!

ant_

bionic77 said:
You can do all of the P90X stuff in a dorm room probably with the exception of Plyo. Plyo needs some space and you definitely look like a jackass doing it (same for Yoga).

I wouldn't worry about the looking like a jackass part though. All the girls will come to watch when you are done the program and ripped like a mofo!
:lol

I'm gonna wait and see what happens when I get there.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on Insanity. For those of you that have done both, what are your thoughts on a combined program? If you've done that, what was your workout routine like?

Aeonin

bdizzle said:
I'm starting week 9 today and want to up my weights. I'm using 15s right now, should I just to 20 or 25s?

Up it to 25s. I tried going from 15 to 30s, too rough. Returned the 30s to WalMart and grabbed some 25s. They are perfect for where I'm at right now. Now I'm looking to up it to 35s. Can't wait!

I've been training with them for a while, but only officially started P90X last Saturday. Great fun, love the strength stuff.

But I'm gonna hop on the bandwagon and hate on Yoga, but I'm not going to stop - I have terrible flexibility and hope it'll help me out big time. Its just its so repetitive! Its goes all against what is Tony - that is variety. I bet even he doesn't like that workout.

Might just adjust it to my own - maybe mix it in with some of the Biggest Loser Yoga or some other Yoga dvd.

grumble

LM4sure said:

It would be tough to burn 800-900 calories in an hour. That's something like 12+ km in an hour (7.5 miles).

ocadman

LM4sure said:

If you're looking for a challenge, you should definitely try it out. It's extremely intense and it'll be tough at first, but you'll adapt within a couple of weeks. Like some others have said, it's basically P90X plyo on crack mixed in with some speed.

obijkenobi said:
I'm close to pulling the trigger on Insanity. For those of you that have done both, what are your thoughts on a combined program? If you've done that, what was your workout routine like?

See above. I've just finished both, first P90X, then did Insanity right after, and if you're looking for more intense cardio than what P90X can offer, then you should give it a shot. I think f-castrillo is doing a combined program, so he could probably speak on it more.

Top Bottom