• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

hxa155

that's it im buying this shit

so from reading a couple of pages in this thread, I found out that in addition to the DVDs, I'm gonna need the p90x supplements, a yoga mat, a yoga block, a pull up bar and resistance bands

is there anything else i forgot?

hxa155 said:

so from reading a couple of pages in this thread, I found out that in addition to the DVDs, I'm gonna need the p90x supplements, a yoga mat, a yoga block, a pull up bar and resistance bands

Just keep pressing play.

In other news, on my 3rd go round on P90X and I screwed up my left bicep up the other night.

I have never done this in all the months of doing it in the past.

Gonna have to take some time away...

This really sucks. :|

duk

Banned
hxa155 said:

You'll need supplements, not necessarily P90x supplements such as protein shake and bars. I got some from costco for cheap.

The biggest thing is you'll need to change the way you eat. I FORCE myself to eat breakfast now, even if it's just a banana or apple. I try to eat 5-6 times a day, for those times I can't really get a decent meal, I eat a protein bar or a fruit smoothie (with no sugar).

Best of luck to you!

duk

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
Just keep pressing play.

In other news, on my 3rd go round on P90X and I screwed up my left bicep up the other night.

I have never done this in all the months of doing it in the past.

Gonna have to take some time away...

This really sucks. :|

Wow rounds 3 of P90x? Do you have before/after shots? My goal is to do 3 rounds of P90x by the end of this year.

duk said:
Wow round 3 of P90x? Do you have before/after shots? My goal is to do 3 rounds of P90x by the end of this year.

Yeah, I have shots.

I need to crop them and post them at some point.

I didn't do 3 rounds consecutively. I took 90 on and like 60 off due to work commitments and other things.

FOOTE

bionic77 said:
Did you finish the workout?

When I was doing the workout I had teh biggest gains in the last 3 weeks. It was insane how many I was able to do at the end compared to the beginning. When I started I struggled to get to 5 pullups and my form was pretty shitty. After I finished I could easily do 30+ chinups and 30 pullups in one go.
Yes, I always finish the workouts. I am starting week 6 tomorrow, so I suppose it's still early.

grumble

hxa155 said:

Well you don't NEED supplements. If your diet is on point you'll be fine. Post workout drink chocolate milk, and just manage your diet at other times.

I'd not get the resistance bands, and instead get some kind of adjustable weights. Both work, but the weights work better. More expensive though.

I did a round, it's a pretty fun program and good for getting you 'in shape'. I eventually switched to weight training as it was more in line with my goals and desired results, but it's a fun program.

Yeah, you absolutely don't need supplements, and in particular, unless you have money to burn go with cheaper stuff instead of the overpriced p90x brand stuff.

Get a multivitamin, some protein powder and you're set.

Flek

Banned
iam thinking about p90x but i have some questions:

1. at the moment iam hitting the gym twice a week and do my normal routine (cardio and then full body muscle things and cardio again). I also thought about going swiming once a week (its cheap and near my place, so why not?). So does it even make sense to start p90x anyway? I think when i start p90x i wont go to the gym/swimming anymore. Or is anyone here doing booth - p90x and gym?

2. when starting p90x is it a must to have 90 days of time or can you have lets say a 1 week break inbetween. I mean for example when you travel

3. door pull up bars … is a stupid wood door frame really going to hold this?

4. are the dvds region locked??

grumble said:
I'd not get the resistance bands, and instead get some kind of adjustable weights. Both work, but the weights work better. More expensive though.

QFT.

When I started the regimen, I used the bands. I found them to be more of a hassle than just using actual weights.

If cost is an issue, you can do what I did:

Buy your weights @ WalMart (they are fairly cheap there) and then just buy the weights as you need them, i.e. buy 10, 15, 20s to start and then buy the higher weights as you need them.

If you need higher resistance for certain exercises (like Lawnmovers for example) you can then use the bands if you have them on hand or up your rep count on a lower weight until you can afford the next increment in weight.

Flek said:
iam thinking about p90x but i have some questions:

1. at the moment iam hitting the gym twice a week and do my normal routine (cardio and then full body muscle things and cardio again). I also thought about going swiming once a week (its cheap and near my place, so why not?). So does it even make sense to start p90x anyway? I think when i start p90x i wont go to the gym/swimming anymore. Or is anyone here doing booth - p90x and gym?

You can probably replace one of your Cardio days (Plyo/Cardio or Kenpo X) with your swimming. I know people that replace their cardio days with biking, etc. You probably want to leave Yoga X in place just for flexibility training.

When I started P90X, I cancelled my gym membership. I doubt you will need both.

2. when starting p90x is it a must to have 90 days of time or can you have lets say a 1 week break inbetween. I mean for example when you travel

For the best results, yeah it's important to set aside the full 90 days but if you can't make work (like friends of mine that went on vacation had a problem with) then plan your workout so you come to a good stopping point and then resume when you can.

3. door pull up bars … is a stupid wood door frame really going to hold this?

Yes, it will hold.

4. are the dvds region locked??

I don't believe so but I never checked.

Hope this helps and good luck!

ryutaro's mama said:
QFT.

When I started the regimen, I used the bands. I found them to be more of a hassle than just using actual weights.

If cost is an issue, you can do what I did:

Buy your weights @ WalMart (they are fairly cheap there) and then just buy the weights as you need them, i.e. buy 10, 15, 20s to start and then buy the higher weights as you need them.

If you need higher resistance for certain exercises (like Lawnmovers for example) you can then use the bands if you have them on hand or up your rep count on a lower weight until you can afford the next increment in weight.
For a cheaper alternative, go with this set off of Amazon.

The obvious downside is that you have to switch the plates between exercises, but it's a helluva lot cheaper than buying the individual dumbbells. Also, when you need to get some higher weights, you can just buy additional plates at Dick's for really cheap.

FOOTE

These are my results at this point with P90X. I am feeling pretty good about them so far. I just wish that I could get more pull-ups during the workouts. I only started taking pics at day 30. I've been really reluctant to post any pictures, but I guess I can use it as a little extra motivation.

Day 30 pic
P90Xday30.jpg

And tomorrow is the start of Week 6. I did nothing today but play NHL 11.. No stretching or anything. I was too tired, and slept to 8am for the first time in abut five years this morning. This is my most recent pic.
p90xWeek6beginning.jpg

Pics suck because the iPhone sucks at taking them.

cubanb

Banned
BertramCooper said:
For a cheaper alternative, go with this set off of Amazon.

The obvious downside is that you have to switch the plates between exercises, but it's a helluva lot cheaper than buying the individual dumbbells. Also, when you need to get some higher weights, you can just buy additional plates at Dick's for really cheap.
If you can, spending the extra money is worth it. The way the exercises are set up by alternating muscles, you will be changing weights very often and it will take a lot of extra time.

cubanb said:
If you can, spending the extra money is worth it. The way the exercises are set up by alternating muscles, you will be changing weights very often and it will take a lot of extra time.

Yeah I hate the hassle of changing weight settings.

Just grab and go.

FOOTE

ryutaro's mama said:
FOOTE, you're killing it.

What's your nutritional intake like?

Are you following the plan to a T?

It certainly looks like it.

Thanks. Yeah I am following the nutrition. I am doing the portion approach that is outlined, and I switch it up maybe every two weeks so it doesn't get too boring. When I buy things to eat, I buy enough so that I am easting the same exact thing everyday of the week. That's mostly because I can't cook very well, so I have to keep it as simple as possible or I will fail miserably. I would just end up ordering delivery foods like I normally do if I didn't. Right now I am taking in 2400 calories.. Plus a cup of coffee in the morning.

The first 30 days I was doing the 1800 calorie portion plan... I felt hungry all of the time.. 2400(and a little more) is a lot better.

cubanb said:
It does slow it down the workout slightly, but not horribly so. It adds maybe 3-5 minutes to your workout time.

For me, I simply could not justify spending that much money on individual dumbbells. Those things are pricey.

duk

Banned
FOOTE said:
These are my results at this point with P90X. I am feeling pretty good about them so far. I just wish that I could get more pull-ups during the workouts. I only started taking pics at day 30. I've been really reluctant to post any pictures, but I guess I can use it as a little extra motivation.

Day 30 pic
P90Xday30.jpg

And tomorrow is the start of Week 6. I did nothing today but play NHL 11.. No stretching or anything. I was too tired, and slept to 8am for the first time in abut five years this morning. This is my most recent pic.
p90xWeek6beginning.jpg

Pics suck because the iPhone sucks at taking them.

BADASS MAN! Great job! Inspirational.

I'd be happy at 90days with your results at week 6! =]

bionic77

Crakatak187 said:
Damn 30 is a lot. I can only do maximum of 12 wide pull ups. I always sucked ass on pullups though.
Somehow my production exploded during the last 3 weeks of the program with pushups and pullups.

And yet I still wasnt half as big and ripped as Foote...

FOOTE

duk said:
BADASS MAN! Great job! Inspirational.

I'd be happy at 90days with your results at week 6! =]
Thanks, man. And if I actually inspire anyone, then my blush face would be epic.

bionic77 said:
Somehow my production exploded during the last 3 weeks of the program with pushups and pullups.

And yet I still wasnt half as big and ripped as Foote...
I have zero endurance when it comes to pull-ups. Push-ups are another thing, I can do a lot of those.

As far as me being ripped, thanks for the complement. I just hope I don't somehow lose any of my definition, I'll be pretty damn embarrassed next Saturday if I do.

Fixed1979

Going to start P90X this week. Just a quick question for anyone following the nutrition plan. According to the guide I should be at Level III. I'm overweight and as such I'm most interested in weight loss, would it be a big deal if I dropped myself to level II? I'm also planning on extended Phase I for a week or two as it seems to fit with what I'm most trying to accomplish.

As someone who isn't in the best of shape I've spent the past 2 weeks prepping myself in my own little home gym to get ready for P90 (not P90x) and the past week getting used to the diet. Currently I'm only at day 2 and I really can see myself sticking with this program until the end. I plan on doing P90x once I finish the "beginner" 90 days.

I've taken a pic from yesterday and once my first 90 are done I will include updates from day 1, 30, 60, and finally 90. Afterward I plan to do the same for 90x.

As far as the diet goes I'm actually not having too much trouble following it. The work outs seem to get my sweat rolling pretty well. I didn't really have trouble keeping up with the pace during sculpt 1-2 and only had to pause for a brief moment during sweat 1-2. I feel good about being able to match Tonys' pace. The hardest of the workouts so far has been the ab ripper 100 and of the 100 reps they ask of you I think I did about 70-80% of them.

EDIT: Is Power 90 a good prelude to P90x?

Flek

Banned
D23 said:
this is hands down one of the best p90x inspirational/transformation video ive seen yet!!
makes me want to workout now lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgZZE_2WhA

wow that was really good. I ordered my p90x set today and a pull-up bar. Looking forward to start this thing! It really is awesome, since joining the gym last year and DRASTICALLY changing what and how much i eat i already lost around 45 pounds. This gives me the perfect motivation to do p90x, even though i know that it is going to be hard.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
gah started this again last week, thought I could do what I was doing at day 44 or whatever whenever I gave up 6+ months ago. I was so sore that I couldn't work out for the rest of the week (as in couldn't get my arms above 90 degrees from my body)

just restarted this sunday at the beginning and was still collapsing trying normal pressups (of which I should be able to do 30 easy)

weird. anyway, I did the slowest, pussiest use my knees workout and I'm back in the saddle. it's gonna be slow, but I'll finish this damn thing this time, by god I will.

Handycrap101 said:
As someone who isn't in the best of shape I've spent the past 2 weeks prepping myself in my own little home gym to get ready for P90 (not P90x) and the past week getting used to the diet. Currently I'm only at day 2 and I really can see myself sticking with this program until the end. I plan on doing P90x once I finish the "beginner" 90 days.

I've taken a pic from yesterday and once my first 90 are done I will include updates from day 1, 30, 60, and finally 90. Afterward I plan to do the same for 90x.

As far as the diet goes I'm actually not having too much trouble following it. The work outs seem to get my sweat rolling pretty well. I didn't really have trouble keeping up with the pace during sculpt 1-2 and only had to pause for a brief moment during sweat 1-2. I feel good about being able to match Tonys' pace. The hardest of the workouts so far has been the ab ripper 100 and of the 100 reps they ask of you I think I did about 70-80% of them.
Today is the last day of my first week of P90. I like it, but I think maybe it's too easy? And I'm not even in good shape. I'll stick it out though. The later workouts might be tougher. And maybe I can increase the weight I'm lifting.

FOOTE

Flek said:
is there some kind of p90x iphone app or something ?
Not that I am aware of. Let us know if you find anything, I'm going to do a quick search. Maybe there is a Beach Body app.

Alcoori

Well, I finally gave in to the hype and am starting my very first P90X session tomorrow!

I don't think I'll follow the diet because a) I'm a veggie, b) I'm already eating healthy. I just hope to get a bit more ripped so I figured that if I paid attention to what I eat and do it seriously it should be fine.

Quite excited!

duk

Banned
Alcoori said:
Well, I finally gave in to the hype and am starting my very first P90X session tomorrow!

I don't think I'll follow the diet because a) I'm a veggie, b) I'm already eating healthy. I just hope to get a bit more ripped so I figured that if I paid attention to what I eat and do it seriously it should be fine.

Quite excited!

you should take some protein supplements then

congrats, you'll do great!

Just wanted to chime in and say that this program really does help with all areas of fitness, not just physical looks.. I started this program months ago with the intent of getting myself in basketball shape (vowed not to play basketball until I finished the program.) However, this dec/jan (my last 30 days) has been brutal due to a myriad of issues and I was supposed to finish this week but got sick/neighbors started complaining about my workout/holiday eating/traveling so p90x is now p120x. Anyways, I decided to go play basketball today on a whim and my endurance has improved many magnitudes (of course my basketball skills have eroded considerably). I started off by running a mile as warmup (which by itself would usually gas me) and then proceeded to play 4 on 4 full court with which I was always first one up and down the court on both sides. I outran my check and winded him big time (usually I'm the one getting winded). Best part about all of this...I've had chronic ankle problems and used to wear a brace...didn't wear the brace today and everything felt fine.

I'm glad I decided to go play basketball today as it renewed my motivation to finish this program now. Can't wait to get back on the court and start getting my shooting touch back.

LogicStep

Question, how many grams of protein should I take from a protein shake? I want to actually buckle down and start taking enough protein so that I can actually grow some muscle. Would 54g of protein from a shake be good? I have to get as much as possible from shakes because it just won't be possible for me to get enough protein from food and I weigh 180lbs so I need at least 180g of protein. Damn that sounds like a high number, it's a little discouraging.

TwiztidElf

Handycrap101 said:

EDIT: Is Power 90 a good prelude to P90x?
I was looking to do P90X, but I failed the test thing for it, so I happily went and did P90 back in June-September 2010. I'm glad I did. It is a nice lead in if you are unfit. If you keep up with Tony, Sweat 3-4 is an exhasting cardio workout.

I'm doing P90M at the moment, which is supposed to bridge P90 and P90X. There is nothing in P90M that is really harder than Sweat 3-4 for Cardio, except maybe plyo and intervals. I'm seriously considering cutting P90M short to launch into P90X now. I'm feeling up to it.

hxa155

Just ordered the set, as well as some of the equipment needed. I'm 5' 5" and about 165 lb, so my focus will be on losing weight. Do you guys think I should start Lean or Classic?

duk

Banned
hxa155 said:
Just ordered the set, as well as some of the equipment needed. I'm 5' 5" and about 165 lb, so my focus will be on losing weight. Do you guys think I should start Lean or Classic?

classic, go for gold

Rocket786

Man, been through P90X twice, Insanity once, and third time with P90X, and legs and back still leaves me breathless! The combination of squats and pull-ups is just freakin intense. That being said, I love every time I finish legs and back, because I don't have to worry about it for another week, and even better when recovery week is coming up! Two week break! It's the only workout I dread...

Regardless, it's interesting to go to Insanity and then back to P90X. It seems like I'm getting results like I did when I went through the program the first time, except the difference is that I'm already pretty fit going into it! During the weekend, my brother and friend were kind of shocked to hear that I was down to 8.6% body fat, and they wanted to see my abs to see what kind of definition comes with 8.6% body fat... They told me to stop sucking in, and I had to tell them I wasn't! They were kind of shocked again. Got to say, it feels pretty good to get reactions like that on top of feeling extremely fit for health reasons.

Quest to gain mass with P90X continues...

zazrx said:
Question, how many grams of protein should I take from a protein shake? I want to actually buckle down and start taking enough protein so that I can actually grow some muscle. Would 54g of protein from a shake be good? I have to get as much as possible from shakes because it just won't be possible for me to get enough protein from food and I weigh 180lbs so I need at least 180g of protein. Damn that sounds like a high number, it's a little discouraging.

Yea, getting enough protein during the first phase is pretty important. Take the shake like you're doing. Add a protein bar for a snack. Eat chicken or fish or whatever meats (low fat for the most part) for pretty much every meal. You should be fine with that. If not, try drinking an additional protein shake during the day as well. That should get you to the right amount.

lljride

A00man said:
Man, been through P90X twice, Insanity once, and third time with P90X, and legs and back still leaves me breathless! The combination of squats and pull-ups is just freakin intense. That being said, I love every time I finish legs and back, because I don't have to worry about it for another week, and even better when recovery week is coming up! Two week break! It's the only workout I dread...

Glad to hear you say that, I'm the same way. I'm working on my second time through P90X (week two so far), and Legs and Back is still the worst. I have to force my way through it more than any other workout. So freaking hard for me, but you're right, definitely the most satisfying when you get through the whole thing (maybe only behind Yoga X).

A00man said:
Legs and Back is brutal. Absolutely brutal. Wall squats, one-legged wall squats, chair squats, sneaky lunges, Debbie Siebers - it just never ends.

I just started the final phase on my first round of P90X and did Chest and Back for the first time in ages. I had forgotten how difficult it was. It's just pushups, pullups, pushups, pullups over and over and over again.

I definitely prefer Chest, Shoulders and Triceps over Chest and Back. There's so much more variety.

LogicStep

A00man said:

Regardless, it's interesting to go to Insanity and then back to P90X. It seems like I'm getting results like I did when I went through the program the first time, except the difference is that I'm already pretty fit going into it! During the weekend, my brother and friend were kind of shocked to hear that I was down to 8.6% body fat, and they wanted to see my abs to see what kind of definition comes with 8.6% body fat... They told me to stop sucking in, and I had to tell them I wasn't! They were kind of shocked again. Got to say, it feels pretty good to get reactions like that on top of feeling extremely fit for health reasons.

Quest to gain mass with P90X continues...

Yea, getting enough protein during the first phase is pretty important. Take the shake like you're doing. Add a protein bar for a snack. Eat chicken or fish or whatever meats (low fat for the most part) for pretty much every meal. You should be fine with that. If not, try drinking an additional protein shake during the day as well. That should get you to the right amount.
Yeah I forgot to mention but I was thinking on taking 3 of those shakes on top of whatever I eat during the day throughout the day! Don't know if that is good or bad but I figured it wouldn't hurt..

duk

Banned
BertramCooper said:
Legs and Back is brutal. Absolutely brutal. Wall squats, one-legged wall squats, chair squats, sneaky lunges, Debbie Siebers - it just never ends.

I just started the final phase on my first round of P90X and did Chest and Back for the first time in ages. I had forgotten how difficult it was. It's just pushups, pullups, pushups, pullups over and over and over again.

I definitely prefer Chest, Shoulders and Triceps over Chest and Back. There's so much more variety.

just did legs n back tonite... hurting bad!

then there is ARX after too yikes

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
alright guys, I've never had a protein shake in my life, what am I looking for in the shops, how much should I drink and how much should I lessen my food intake because of this?

I don't change my diet with p90x apart from 'eat less carbs with dinner' and try and eat a lot of chicken/cold cuts etc. Also I cut out the drinking.

dankir

Flek said:
is there some kind of p90x iphone app or something ?

I have this app called Fit 90. It's 2.99 it's the complete p90x schedule, lean, classic, classic+, insanity, etc.

So it tells you which workouts to do, on what days. You can track your progress, keep notes etc.

Flek

Banned
catfish said:
alright guys, I've never had a protein shake in my life, what am I looking for in the shops, how much should I drink and how much should I lessen my food intake because of this?

where are you from? Look (google, amazon) for weider. I really like there quality and the skaes even taste good (strawbery = tasty!). Than get a shaker, put in milk (low fet) or water and a bit of the protein powder and then just shake it. nutrients etc are marked on the package

http://www.weider-germany.de/english/index.php

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I just started this again,

Did chest and back yesterday. Until I puked. Felt good.

Will be doing cardio X and MMA today, in lieu of plyo X.

Steelrain

I messed with this a little bit last year but since i've lost some weight since then i'm gonna jump in and do the full 90 days. I'll post some pics when I feel like it.

Top Bottom