• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

I'll be starting this properly next week after putting it off for ages. I know through personal experience that if I don't do it in the mornings then I don't do it at all.

Just started Week 2 today... Chest and Back, definitely brought it. Had a rough time through Ab Ripper X though. Wished that I could have done better, but my body was struggling! I did have some progress on Chest & Back compared to last week. MAX REPS TONY!

I will say that it seems that a different part of my body is sore every day, but it's a good sore though.

Plyo tomorrow, I will be ready to swipe the sweat off of my floor!

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Flek said:
where are you from? Look (google, amazon) for weider. I really like there quality and the skaes even taste good (strawbery = tasty!). Than get a shaker, put in milk (low fet) or water and a bit of the protein powder and then just shake it. nutrients etc are marked on the package

http://www.weider-germany.de/english/index.php

Thanks dude, Netherlands actually so probably can get some german stuff!

EDIT: wait, the reason I haven't purchased any of this stuff before is the information bomb and marketing jargon they stick all over it. Which ones just the protein stuff that an IT worker that has never been horribly out of shape but never super in shape (not fat) should get?

Here's an example of one I found

700Gram for 30ish euro

contents per 100g
(strawberry-yoghurt):
Energie: 1547kJ / 364Kcal
Protein: 84g
carbs: 4,7g
Vet: 1,0g

is this good? how long does 700Gram last if I weigh 80kilos?

Flek

Banned
catfish said:
Thanks dude, Netherlands actually so probably can get some german stuff!

EDIT: wait, the reason I haven't purchased any of this stuff before is the information bomb and marketing jargon they stick all over it. Which ones just the protein stuff that an IT worker that has never been horribly out of shape but never super in shape (not fat) should get?

this

http://www.weidershop.de/en/Global-Line/Proteins/GOLDWHEY.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey_protein

or this:

http://www.weidershop.de/en/Global-Line/Proteins/Weider-Protein-80-Plus.html

id say. i had booth before and they are very good, like i said strawberry = awesome.

Oh also buy this shaker:

http://www.weidershop.de/en/Weider-Accessories/96443.html

helps you get your shakes right in no time and you don´t need a mixer or something.

edit:
700Gram for 30ish euro

a bit expensive, you can get 500g for 13 euros @ amazon.de:

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B003IB2LQO/

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
thanks mate, amazon ships free or cheap to NL as well, I'm going to give it a shot, will grab a couple of bags and a shaker then try this thing out.

EDIT: aww shit, no go on delivery to NL for that size :/

duk

Banned
YoungHav said:
what dumbbell weights do they force you to buy for this? I only have 25lbs, 10, 8, 5 at my house.

id get another set of 40s or 45s, u should be good

if you want to bulk up maybe even 50s or 55s

Flek

Banned
catfish said:
thanks mate, amazon ships free or cheap to NL as well, I'm going to give it a shot, will grab a couple of bags and a shaker then try this thing out.

EDIT: aww shit, no go on delivery to NL for that size :/

hmm might be because the shaker isn´t shipped from amazon, try without the shaker :)

Set of DVDs just arrived in the mail, but I'm not starting until early February. I haven't done a thing endurance/cardio wise, so I figure two weeks of running will help ease me into it.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm in for a February start also. Although I'll probably start on Monday the 31st in Jan (so, next week).

duk

Banned
williamsan said:
Set of DVDs just arrived in the mail, but I'm not starting until early February. I haven't done a thing endurance/cardio wise, so I figure two weeks of running will help ease me into it.

u may not really need to, just start it, first few weeks will ease you into the program

Fixed1979

Got a great deal on the bowflex dumbells and stand so one more piece of the puzzle down.

I downloaded a great spreadsheet for planning meals but I'm still having a real hard time putting a meal plan together. I'm hoping on starting either Sunday or more likely Monday so I need to have my plan figured and food bought before then. By the time that part is done I'll be looking forward to to the workouts.

exarkun

Sooooo I'm a pretty big gym rat. I love my cardio (in the form of running and basketball) and I have a pretty set routine made from a formulation of crossfit stuff and my sport's trainer back in college.

I want to get cut and things just haven't really been going my way the last few weeks (in terms of time to work out and work and such) so I'm thinking of scrapping my current regimen and going the P90X way. I've done crossfit before so the muscle confusion/multi muscle workouts aren't new, but does P90X really work?

I have all the discs and stuff (burned a copy of the gf's that she says she uses and thus wouldn't just give to me but I know she doesn't, worst thing is I paid for hers) and was wondering can I just do it at the gym? I hateeee doing workout at home because I get lazy. I uesd to be able to do it, but I just moved into a small apartment and thus no real room.

So Gaf, will it help? As a person who works out semi-frequently will the exercises seem easy? Pull-ups seem to be a big issue here, I can do three or four sets of 10 already. Though my legs really need some help (my new personal trainer said I have weak hip flexors which causes some of my back pain). Give me advice!

Also, if people are looking to get some whey protein I bought some great stuff called Platinum Hydro Whey that really doesn't have much filler in it. Basically just protein, and that kind of new to me since some of the whey I've taken in the past made me feel...gross.

duk

Banned
exarkun said:
Sooooo I'm a pretty big gym rat. I love my cardio (in the form of running and basketball) and I have a pretty set routine made from a formulation of crossfit stuff and my sport's trainer back in college.

I want to get cut and things just haven't really been going my way the last few weeks (in terms of time to work out and work and such) so I'm thinking of scrapping my current regimen and going the P90X way. I've done crossfit before so the muscle confusion/multi muscle workouts aren't new, but does P90X really work?

I have all the discs and stuff (burned a copy of the gf's that she says she uses and thus wouldn't just give to me but I know she doesn't, worst thing is I paid for hers) and was wondering can I just do it at the gym? I hateeee doing workout at home because I get lazy. I uesd to be able to do it, but I just moved into a small apartment and thus no real room.

So Gaf, will it help? As a person who works out semi-frequently will the exercises seem easy? Pull-ups seem to be a big issue here, I can do three or four sets of 10 already. Though my legs really need some help (my new personal trainer said I have weak hip flexors which causes some of my back pain). Give me advice!

Also, if people are looking to get some whey protein I bought some great stuff called Platinum Hydro Whey that really doesn't have much filler in it. Basically just protein, and that kind of new to me since some of the whey I've taken in the past made me feel...gross.

If you are already fit/have mass, it will do wonders for you if you stick to it HARD. It will help you tone and get ripped. Pull-ups are only and issue because you have to do 5-6 sets of them in conjunction with other things, nonstop. The biggest improvement for me are my legs, because I have skinny legs. I muscles on my legs now that I never knew existed lol...

P90x has worked for tens of thousands and will work for you IF you work it.

Did my first workout of week 2 of P90. That's the first sculpt workout that really made me sweat and it feels great. Picked up some whey today and will have a drink before bed -- I have a big glass of chocolate milk after my workout.

Hopefully I'll finally be getting enough protein.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ScrabbleDude said:
Did my first workout of week 2 of P90. That's the first sculpt workout that really made me sweat and it feels great. Picked up some whey today and will have a drink before bed -- I have a big glass of chocolate milk after my workout.

Hopefully I'll finally be getting enough protein.

yeah, I'm confused about this. Ordered some whey, however bit confused over before or after. I understood right after workouts is best but how is recovery drink then working?

Do people that use the recovery drink first drink that and then smash a protein shake or what?

I plan to just drink a protein shake in the morning plus some fruit for breakfast, then 1 after the workout at night. Chicken for lunch.

duk

Banned
catfish said:
yeah, I'm confused about this. Ordered some whey, however bit confused over before or after. I understood right after workouts is best but how is recovery drink then working?

Do people that use the recovery drink first drink that and then smash a protein shake or what?

I plan to just drink a protein shake in the morning plus some fruit for breakfast, then 1 after the workout at night. Chicken for lunch.

that's sorta my regiment now, with protein bars twice a day around 1030am and 4pm as 'snacks'

FOOTE

My meal plan and routine right now.

Cardio- I do the warm-up then skip to the 18 or 19 minute mark when the plyo section starts and finish from there.

Breakfast - Turkey bacon(4 slices) - plain yogurt(2cups) with banana blended - and a cup of coffee, maybe two if I can't seem to wake up.

Protein shake - 8oz of water with one scoop of whey

Snack - Protein Bar - I have been using the P90X bars, but three boxes were about $90 total so I will be switching to another kind next week

Lunch - Sandwich- turkey bacon(2 slices) with turkey breast on whole wheat bread

Snack - 1/2 cup soy nuts - this is changing to another type of nut when my current supply runs out... which is going to take FOR. EV. ER.

workout then P90X recover drink- I am debating on changing this to a really low fat chocolate milk (1cup) but the trick will be to find one minus HFCS. The official drink is getting expensive. That's a major theme with P90X branded stuff and deal breaker for me.

Dinner - 4cups of broccoli and 9oz of chicken breast - and 1 cup of skim milk with one scoop of whey

That's what I do. It mostly follows the nutritional plan, I am certainly going above the 2400 calorie plan that I am following, but not by much.

I believe I have yoga tonight, and legs and MFing back tomorrow, then TWO easy days(kenpo and stretch).

Flek

Banned
i just got my p90x package and checked the how to get started dvd (will start the training after my holidays) and tony kinda stresses that you NEED a heartrate monitor clock !? really?

FOOTE

Flek said:
i just got my p90x package and checked the how to get started dvd (will start the training after my holidays) and tony kinda stresses that you NEED a heartrate monitor clock !? really?
I don't have one. I really don't see the point. If you're working hard, it's not like you'll be able to do much more. I let my body tell me when to back off. The only time they wear them is during plyo and cardio x, iirc.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Cardio X went well last night. Might have been a bit to much to pair in MMA training. Should have just done MMA training. I got my ass kicked.

Flek said:

Not necessary at all. Just work hard and if you feel like your body is telling you to back off, do so.

There is a lot of debate about this. It has nothing to do with p90x really, just working out in general. I've read both sides of the argument and as far as I can tell, there is no consensus on whey before or after workout.

Given that you use a recovery drink, I'd take the whey before workout simply because you'll be getting protein pre and post workout that way. I wouldn't stress about it though.

If you are already fit/have mass, it will do wonders for you if you stick to it HARD.

I'm losing mass. Particularly in my chest. There simply is no substitute for the bench press in p90x.

That said, I'm already seeing the results of being more "fit". Ie, losing fat, more definition (due to lower fat), better cardio. Also, I'm working legs more and more frequently so I'm seeing gains there.

Still, for someone who does a lot of weight training I'd would tell them to expect to see some loss in mass. There is no replacement for some core moves with super heavy weights: deadlift, heavy squats, bench press, rows, etc. There are moves that replicate the motions, but as an example, chest is almost exclusively pushups in p90x.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Yoga went extremely well last night. I completed about 90% of the exercises (those balance poses = death). Considering this is my 2nd time doing it, I'm stoked that I'm improving so quickly

FOOTE said:
Breakfast - Turkey bacon(4 slices) - plain yogurt(2cups) with banana blended - and a cup of coffee, maybe two if I can't seem to wake up.

Protein shake - 8oz of water with one scoop of whey

Snack - Protein Bar - I have been using the P90X bars, but three boxes were about $90 total so I will be switching to another kind next week

Lunch - Sandwich- turkey bacon(2 slices) with turkey breast on whole wheat bread

Snack - 1/2 cup soy nuts - this is changing to another type of nut when my current supply runs out... which is going to take FOR. EV. ER.

workout then P90X recover drink- I am debating on changing this to a really low fat chocolate milk (1cup) but the trick will be to find one minus HFCS. The official drink is getting expensive. That's a major theme with P90X branded stuff and deal breaker for me.

Dinner - 4cups of broccoli and 9oz of chicken breast - and 1 cup of skim milk with one scoop of whey

That's what I do. It mostly follows the nutritional plan, I am certainly going above the 2400 calorie plan that I am following, but not by much.
Two cups of yogurt sounds like an awful lot.

Right now this is what I'm eating:
Breakfast - cup of Vector cereal with a cup of milk (22g protein).

Snack - cup of plain yogurt with blackberries (10g protein)

Lunch - Whatever. Today I'm having some turkey shepherd's pie that I made. I'd like to start doing turkey sandwiches with turkey bacon though. That sounds good.

Snack - Protein bar (15g protein)

Dinner - Whatever the wife makes, but she knows I'm trying to eat healthy.

Post-Workout - Chocolate Milk

Before bed - Scoop of whey mixed with milk. (25g protein from the whey)

I think I might need a second protein shake though. Maybe for breakfast.

FOOTE

ScrabbleDude said:
Two cups of yogurt sounds like an awful lot.
One cup = one block of dairy on the nutritional guide, and I have three blocks to fill. It's expensive, that's for sure. I eat breakfast at about 7am, and I am absolutely dieing by 11am for my bar, so I am definitely burning it off.

Expensive was what I was mostly thinking. I love yogurt, but that would get pricey.

I like to switch up my snacks. I've also got granola bars. And sometimes I'll put a little fat free mayo on some Breton crackers and top them with half a can of tuna.

turnbuckle

Been going to the gym for over a decade now but want to try something different. I've never been good about motivating myself to workout at home but I want to buy into P90X and see if I can stick with it. That inspirational transformation video posted last page finally got me interested and excited about the program.

If I'm doing the program at home what type of equipment will I need to do everything in the videos? I'm guessing this question has been asked and answered a hundred times in this thread but it's a pretty long thread and I'd probably have more luck just asking. If there's a website that answers these questions already that'd be helpful too. Also, if there are any recommended brands for products I'll need (i.e. chinup bar, supplements, etc) that'd e helpful too. Thanks !

grumble

duk said:
If you are already fit/have mass, it will do wonders for you if you stick to it HARD. It will help you tone and get ripped. Pull-ups are only and issue because you have to do 5-6 sets of them in conjunction with other things, nonstop. The biggest improvement for me are my legs, because I have skinny legs. I muscles on my legs now that I never knew existed lol...

P90x has worked for tens of thousands and will work for you IF you work it.

I'm not sure I agree with this. P90X's strength has never been gaining muscle if you already have some. It's more of a weight loss and conditioning program. If you are muscular, then expect to lose a fair bit of muscle on the program. The caloric deficit combined with the inadequate %1RM for muscle mass preservation will ensure that.

That doesn't mean it's not a great program; you're always going to lose some muscle when you cut down weight unless you're a novice. You might lose more muscle if you already have a fair bit than if you pursued a traditional cutting program.

I've always though that the biggest strength of P90X was its ability to condition you.

Do you EVER get to the point in the chest/tri and back/bi workouts where you're not totally blown about halfway through?

I've always had difficulty with workouts where complimentary muscle groups are worked together. I'm a much bigger fan of back/chest or chest/bi, back/tri, etc. I mean, if I do max pushups, how am I then supposed to gain much benefit from turning around and immediately doing a tricep excersize?

ChiTownBuffalo

DrFunk said:
Yoga went extremely well last night. I completed about 90% of the exercises (those balance poses = death). Considering this is my 2nd time doing it, I'm stoked that I'm improving so quickly

I feel you. My first time through, in the living room of my small apt, I thought, "I am going to fall over and break my TV."

X26

Banned
Even though things are generally gradual in P90x and fitness in general, when you all of a sudden notice a huge improvement such as going from struggling to get 5 good pull-ups to being able to do 10 good ones with ease, well, feels good man.

(Although it didn't last too long given how many sets you have to do with legs and back, by the last set I was back to having to really push for decent ones)

Rocket786

Flek said:

You don't really need one, but I have one that tells me calories burned according to my heart rate. It's a pretty cool tool to be able to stay in your zone and see the total calories burned at the end of a workout.

As for meal plans, since we are posting. I'm keeping on trying to adjust mine, so I can start gaining some weight. Right now it is:

Meal #1: Coffee and Protein Bar

Meal #2: Lunch which is usually a lean meat sandwich of some sorts with wheat bread.

Meal #3: Salad with Grilled Chicken

Meal #4: Whey Protein Shake with 1% Milk and a Banana. Sometimes a Fiber Bar as well. This is around an hour or hour and a half before my workout.

Meal #5: Post Workout Shake

Meal #6: Dinner. Something healthy like grilled chicken with some complex carbs from wheat bread.

Meal #7: Casein Protein Shake with 1% Milk before bed.

Misaclleanous: Eat fruits in the middle of some meals.

I just added the Casein Protein Shake to my plan yesterday, as I didn't see any weight gains over the previous week, although I did manage to lose body fat again from 8.6% to 8.0% somehow... If I don't gain even like 1/2 lb this week, I will add an egg white omelet on top of the coffee and protein bar for breakfast.

As for those looking for a recovery drink or protein bar, Beachbody is having a sale on their stuff right now. It's a Facebook promotion and since I'm a "P90X Fan" on Facebook, I saw their update.

http://www.beachbody.com/category/supplements/clearance.do?code=social_fb_p90x

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Just came to post and say that my new dedicated restart to the program has been pretty awesome. Have finished almost every workout and am extremely confident that next week I will be able to finish with few breaks. :)

Can anyone provide some advice on doing close push ups and chair dips? On the video their elbows don't flare out when doing these moves, but mine always do. I'm pretty sure I must be doing these wrong.

FOOTE

ScrabbleDude said:
Can anyone provide some advice on doing close push ups and chair dips? On the video their elbows don't flare out when doing these moves, but mine always do. I'm pretty sure I must be doing these wrong.
Your hands need to be close to your body. Keep trying, you might need to get stronger to keep them from going out. Just do your best until it works, and it will in time.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
got some protein powder, it's called 'whey delicious' and it's WAY DELICIOUS

Just had my first one, can any fitness guys comment on the contents of this per 100gm?

energy - 392kcal
energy - 1666kj
carbs - 9.72g
protein - 81gr
fat - 4.18 gram

Did I get good stuff? It's got loads of amino acids in there as well, but i'm not listing those.

For any dutchies, I grabbed it from here

http://www.xxlnutrition.nl/

it's the most sold and very very tasty, it barely tastes like a protein shake.

Also, question for the protein shake users, being that this stuff costs a decent amount of $$ are you guys using it also on the cardio days? I found it tasted/felt great after a muscle workout, but is it required on plyo/kenpo/yoga days?

Top Bottom