• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

alejob said:
So Monday I start the first recovery week. I'm thinking of riding the bike in the mornings for that week so I can burn a few more calories. Is it a bad idea?

Thats what I was wondering as well. My 1st recovery week starts Monday as well.

Finished Legs and Back 3rd week just now. Kenpo X tomorrow and then my first recovery week on monday. Went from 178 from Day 1 to 172 this morning. Other than the increased energy/stamina and my weight, dont really notice any physical changes yet :/ but its still really early in the program. Cant wait to see what Day 60 and 90 looks like.

I3rand0

I have Kenpo X today, but I already worked out this morning at the gym and did a 42 floor stair climb. Can I just do Kenpo X tomorrow instead of using it as a rest day or should I do it tonight and do Stretch X tomorrow?

LogicStep

I went to play some basketball with friends, full court, and it feels amazing to be all good to go and not feel tired at all while everyone else is dead and can't run anymore!!! It felt amazing!!

X26

Banned
I3rand0 said:
I have Kenpo X today, but I already worked out this morning at the gym and did a 42 floor stair climb. Can I just do Kenpo X tomorrow instead of using it as a rest day or should I do it tonight and do Stretch X tomorrow?

you got more of a workout today than kenpo x would have given you, so just forget about it and have your rest day

I3rand0

X26 said:
you got more of a workout today than kenpo x would have given you, so just forget about it and have your rest day

Thanks. I was also wondering if, on a normal schedule, is it better to take a rest or do Stretch X?

X26

Banned
I3rand0 said:
Thanks. I was also wondering if, on a normal schedule, is it better to take a rest or do Stretch X?

I've never done stretch x, and I've done 8 weeks of this

between stretching prior to each workout, and yoga x being 1.5hrs of stretching, I don't find it at all necessary, you get enough stretching as is

ocadman

I've been trying to focus on breathing during Yoga and it's pretty crazy how much "easier" it gets when you get the breathing down.

Lionheart1827 said:
Finished Legs and Back 3rd week just now. Kenpo X tomorrow and then my first recovery week on monday. Went from 178 from Day 1 to 172 this morning. Other than the increased energy/stamina and my weight, dont really notice any physical changes yet :/ but its still really early in the program. Cant wait to see what Day 60 and 90 looks like.

Keep it up! Changes will come.

Rocket786

Wow, my whole world came crashing down Thursday night. My girlfriend of 4 years broke up with me and has found someone else... She was already like a family member, and I was going to get her a ring this year...

I haven't been able to do P90X for the past few days, and can't eat much either. I need some motivation before I become anorexic. Help me out P90GAF. Someone convince me that working out will take the stress away, because I can't do much of anything right now. =(

A00man said:
Wow, my whole world came crashing down Thursday night. My girlfriend of 4 years broke up with me and has found someone else... She was already like a family member, and I was going to get her a ring this year...

I haven't been able to do P90X for the past few days, and can't eat much either. I need some motivation before I become anorexic. Help me out P90GAF. Someone convince me that working out will take the stress away, because I can't do much of anything right now. =(
Well working out releases endorphins :)

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
A00man said:

Trying doing some Kenpo X to try take some of that anger out. But first eat something. A good run might work as well. The hardest past will probably be trying to start but just know that you will feel much better after and go for it.

ocadman

A00man said:

Sucks man. I feel for you. Was she with the dude while you were still together? If so, then fuck her, it's not worth it at all. Gotta keep up P90X to get back in the game. If you're gonna do some Kenpo, make sure there's a punching bag and tape her picture on it if that helps.

Neki

A00man said:

tell your story in the girl-age thread, we're all ears over there, we'll take care of you. :)

Rocket786

ocadman said:
Sucks man. I feel for you. Was she with the dude while you were still together? If so, then fuck her, it's not worth it at all. Gotta keep up P90X to get back in the game. If you're gonna do some Kenpo, make sure there's a punching bag and tape her picture on it if that helps.

Yes, she overlapped. She was part of my family though. I don't want to punch her. =(. I still did P90X. Did Kenpo and then Core Synergistics. I'm in my recovery week at least.

Ultimoo said:
tell your story in the girl-age thread, we're all ears over there, we'll take care of you. :)

Link please? I would definitely like to talk about it to try to make myself feel better, because right now I'm miserable. =(.

Completed my first week. Totally out of shape. Haven't worked out in years. Basically doing the workouts until my body can't take anymore.

The first night I did more than half of chest and shoulders and a few minutes into the ab workout. Once I got to the cross over situps my body quit on me. Took a lot of effort to get off my mat. But, it feels good. Looking forward to seeing how much further I can push myself in week two.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Jibber Hack said:
Completed my first week. Totally out of shape. Haven't worked out in years. Basically doing the workouts until my body can't take anymore.

The first night I did more than half of chest and shoulders and a few minutes into the ab workout. Once I got to the cross over situps my body quit on me. Took a lot of effort to get off my mat. But, it feels good. Looking forward to seeing how much further I can push myself in week two.
i was pretty amazed with how much easier week 2 was than week 1. once i got over the initial soreness, everything has been going pretty smooth. its almost like the soreness and the 'unknown' routines combine to really kick your ass that first week. yoga is still a beast for me though. started week 3 today

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
I3rand0 said:

I do X Stretch almost every week on my rest day.

It helps me a lot more to stretch out than it does to just do nothing. I'm usually pretty tight come Monday morning if I don't.

Stretching helps your muscles recover a lot faster and, in my experience, I've noticed that to be true.

Has anyone in P90X Gaf been using it simultaneously with Accutane?

The two seem to be incompatible to the best of my knowledge. The blood tests you have to do for Accutane show spikes in your liver numbers due to working until muscular failure. Thus, the doctor can not prescribe Accutane.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I dont workout a long time ago,should I try P90X or start with P90??

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Jibber Hack said:

The first change you'll notice in virtually any workout program is that you'll very quickly increase your ability to actually do the workout. By week 2, you'll be able to get all the way to the end of all the workouts, even Plyo.

LogicStep

Angry Grimace said:
The first change you'll notice in virtually any workout program is that you'll very quickly increase your ability to actually do the workout. By week 2, you'll be able to get all the way to the end of all the workouts, even Plyo.
Took me 3 weeks to get through plyo :'(

RisingZan

Neo Member
So I'm about to start this program on Monday based entirely on the results Slayer33 achieved. Anyone have any tips for a first timer/fresh meat?

RisingZan said:
So I'm about to start this program on Monday based entirely on the results Slayer33 achieved. Anyone have any tips for a first timer/fresh meat?

Try not to get discouraged. Dont try to keep up with the people in the vids, just do your best. Keep track of your progress with the sheets. Other than that, just keep going with it, even if you dont see too much results right away.

rkn

A00man said:

Dude, I'm going through the same thing, only more years :( P90X is the only thing keeping me going now. But I admit, I've been dogging it the past couple of days. I've also been doubling up with jogging at night though, so I don't feel too bad. I wish I could work out all day, keeps your mind off of things.

Jibber Hack said:

What everyone else said, the coolest thing is the amount of progress you notice, and it seems to come pretty quick. Write it down, or mentally keep track and you'll see that over time, even a couple of weeks you'll be doing the routines with confidence. Biggest reveal for me was being able to do Yoga without missing a push-up vinyasa deal thing. Still extremely challenging due to my lack of flexibility, but 1st day of yoga was impossible to get through. Ab ripper isn't that bad, I still can't do all the reps, but doing 15 fifer scissors without breaking is pretty good!

G_Berry

Banned
Any AUSgaffers used this program? It's quite expensive from most stores.

The best price I've found so far was on the Guthy Renker site, $199. places like Workout World are selling it for $250!!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
zazrx said:
Took me 3 weeks to get through plyo :'(
In week 2, and I can finish by stopping a lot. But I made it through. I was doubled up on the ground gasping at the 30 minute mark in Week 1.

ferr

Angry Grimace said:
In week 2, and I can really finish by stopping a lot. But I made it through. I was doubled up on the ground gasping at the 30 minute mark in Week 1.
Sounds fun, I just ordered it. They tried to sell me like a dozen things during the order process, pretty annoying.

Angry Grimace

ferr said:
Sounds fun, I just ordered it. They tried to sell me like a dozen things during the order process, pretty annoying.
Got mine through Amazon, much less hassle.

NYR

If you have trouble with plyo, try this: for the 30 second excercises, only do them for 25 seconds.

Those 5 seconds saves you up a lot of energy to push you through. Anytime I do that I get through plyo on pace with the video, no additional breaks needed, still get a wicked burn.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
just finished week 3 plyo, really improving with it. though im already dreading 2 rounds of yoga in the recovery week next week

FOOTE

Alright, I'm finished with my first round of this. I'm taking a week or so break and will start up round 2. Bullshit stress really made this hard to get though, avoid stress as much as you can, newcomers.

At the end of it I improved from 7 pull-ups to 15(this is fresh, I can't maintain that throughout the workout.) My weight stayed about the same (155lbs), but I gained muscle and lost a lot of fat(gained some back at the end because of the stress I mentioned) Plyo became an easy workout after nearly puking during my second go of it. I feel like I am really breathing better than I ever have before as a direct result of working with P90X.

Overall, my first round was successful. However, it could have been a lot more worthwhile and productive had other people close to me not make it so fucking hard to do. Hopefully by June I'll have the body I wanted to have my this time.

I3rand0

Just finished my 1st week. The only exercises I seem to be having trouble with are Yoga and Ab Ripper X. I don't weigh that much (140 lbs), but after working out for 1 hour having to do 15 minutes of Ab Ripper X is sometimes pretty brutal. I have a hard time to keeping up with the reps and only manage to do about 8-12 per exercise.

CherryWoodFuton said:
Fuck me just fired up Chest and Back and Ab ripper x and I couldnt finish :-( Please tell me it gets better

Day 1?

Oh yeah, the first week you're probably gonna be sore as fuck if you haven't worked out in a long time. You will be beat and tired. Just dont give up, after the initial soreness wears off, you should be able to make it through all of the workouts no problem. Write all your stuff down, even if you dont finish. Just do what you can and dont try to keep up with the people on the DVD. Progress will come.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
duk said:
chest and back tonight baby! week 9 here we go!

Off to do Chest & Back myself. I'm on Week 10, though (I mixed in P90X+ instead of alternating the other two routines each week).

I'm interested to see how I do on Ab Ripper X after having not done it for two whole weeks. Two weeks ago, I was right along with the video at 25 reps a pop.

The Abs routine for P90X+ isn't as tough as Ab Ripper X, in my opinion, so I hope I haven't regressed!

Lionheart1827 said:
Day 1?

Oh yeah, the first week you're probably gonna be sore as fuck if you haven't worked out in a long time. You will be beat and tired. Just dont give up, after the initial soreness wears off, you should be able to make it through all of the workouts no problem. Write all your stuff down, even if you dont finish. Just do what you can and dont try to keep up with the people on the DVD. Progress will come.
Yea man that fuckin bitch was owning me with the pushups

Top Bottom