• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When you look at the egyptian mythology story of Horus vs. Set it's pretty hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

You enjoy that salad, bro? Yeah... that's good.
Evil-Smile-GIF.gif

Mabase

Why isn't there a South Park Episode about this?!? Or at least a nice segment on Jon Stewart....

LOL Gods be cray cray.

Many people are under the impression that Set was the evil gode in the Egyptian Mythology hiarchy when that is far from the truth.

Same with Hades in Ancient Greek mythology. Modern culture has tried to position him as a "devil" character through the lense of Christianity, but the roles and relationships between different Ancient Greek Gods are much more complicated than the binary of the Abrahamic equivalents, indeed the Greek Gods are great conduits of human traits.

Yeah, Egyptian mythology is pretty messed up, and very obsessed with jizz. In at least one version of the creation myth (there's a few, that's what happens when your religion hits 3000 years) Ra masturbates the world into existence.

And Set definitely gets a bad rap, but unlike most examples that started in the original culture. His role was redefined following a war between cults and the Hittite (IIRC) invasion, which was blamed on Set since, as the god of war and foreigners, that's the sort of thing you'd expect him to step in on.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Yeah, Egyptian mythology is pretty messed up, and very obsessed with jizz. In at least one version of the creation myth (there's a few, that's what happens when your religion hits 3000 years) Ra masturbates the world into existence.

Yes! The Creation by Atum Myth! The line goes, "I acted as husband with my fist. I copulated with my hand."

dorkkaos

Same with Hades in Ancient Greek mythology. Modern culture has tried to position him as a "devil" character through the lense of Christianity, but the roles and relationships between different Ancient Greek Gods are much more complicated than the binary of the Abrahamic equivalents, indeed the Greek Gods are great conduits of human traits.

Hell, i'd say that Hades is the least asshole of the gods. The one fucked up thing he did being kidnapping and shotgun wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom