• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where’s Banjo? Lack of platformers on the Xbox!!

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
With the lack of a decent platforming game on the Xbox why isn’t there a new banjo kazooie game? The original was one of the best games last generation!!!!!

Also there has been a total lack of DK games on the cube this gen! I want a new platformer!!!

Catalyst

Banned
There really have been a lack of platformers on all systems this generation as compared to the 32/64-bit generation. It's kinda sad. It would have been nice having another 3D Donkey Kong, too.

Catalyst said:
There really have been a lack of platformers on all systems this generation as compared to the 32/64-bit generation. It's kinda sad. It would have been nice having another 3D Donkey Kong, too.

Whuuuuuut?

Jak, Ratchet & Clank, Sly, Rayman 2, Klonoa, Maximo, Ape Escape 2, Sonic Heroes, Cookies & Cream, Tak, Crash, Spyro, Whiplash, Dr Muto, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Vexx, Haven, ...

Dracor

Catalyst said:

Maybe the whole 32 bit gen vs this gen... but do you really think PS1 had a better platformer line-up then the PS2?

Catalyst

Banned
Dracor said:
Maybe the whole 32 bit gen vs this gen... but do you really think PS1 had a better platformer line-up then the PS2?
Well no. The ones on the N64 and PlayStation just stood out more to me and people I know.

sonycowboy said:
Whuuuuuut?

Jak, Ratchet & Clank, Sly, Rayman 2, Klonoa, Maximo, Ape Escape 2, Sonic Heroes, Cookies & Cream, Tak, Crash, Spyro, Whiplash, Dr Muto, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Vexx, Haven, ...
All but a few of those games are terrible in my opinion. But there are the obvious babes like Jak & Daxter, R&C, Sly, Maximo, and ...

Super Mario Sunshine owns these. All of them. Take that.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
And the sequel was as terrible as Donkey Kong 64! Seriously, buy a PS2 and play Ratchet & Clank already!

I had a PS2 for just over a year after it’s launch in Australia, but I got rid of it after Sony of Australia sent it back to me several times telling they had fixed it but it was still buggered!

So I got a refurbished unit, and sold it.

I got to play Jak and Daxter it was ok but nothing special, I was reminiscing about banjo kazooie and I would love a next gen sequel.

- having mumbo jumbo turn me into crazy animals and items (a pumpkin!)
- Mr Ville the Crocodile, best mini game ever!
- Superbly designed worlds and beautiful graphics
- The awesome quiz show finale

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I also loved how banjo used all his moves
Plus the intro was great

a few pics
banjokazooie01.jpg

banjokazooie02.jpg

bk2a.jpg

06.jpg

bonusweb.idnes.cz/konzole/ n64/banjokazooie.html

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I got to play Jak and Daxter it was ok but nothing special

That's it? J&D kinda sucks...

It looks very nice, but the game was just so incredibly easy and aimless.

Of course, I also hated Banjo. The game was "OK", I suppose, but the characters were so incredibly awful that it detracted from the experience.

Solid

I recommend Grabbed By the Ghoulies. It's not as bad as some people wants it to be. I enjoyed it. Should be cheap now too.

Jacobi

Banned
Catalyst said:
There were rumors bout a 3D DK at E3...they seem to have disappeared...

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
That's it? J&D kinda sucks...

Reasons J&D isn’t that good

- bad level design with a lack of wide open spaces to explore, one of the things I love about platformers like banjo kazooie is. When you enter a world for the first time you get to choose what area you the level you explore first. Do explore the temple, the cliff face, climb that big mountain, explore the woods or check out the lake?
- Jak and Daxter hardly use all there moves
- The game is too easy
- Jak Is dull but Daxter is wicked and should have his own game.

It’s still a good platformer but nothing specail

dark10x

Wha? J&D is way more open than Banjo. I don't know what you're smoking. That was part of the problem IMO. It lacked any sort of focus. They just give you this massive environment and say "go explore". I didn't care for that...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
this platform has had TONS of great platformers.

J&D series
Sly Cooper series
R&C series
Mario Sunshine
Ty (which was decent)
Sonic Adventure (which was decent)
Ape Escape 2
Rayman 2 (DC is technically this gen)

that is a pretty decent list. yeah you got screwed on XBox, but platformers are kiddy (or MS would have you believe) so it's not too unusual that they have avoided the XBox.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Dark the jak and daxter 1 which I am talking about wasn’t very open it’s much like the rayman games lots of paths link together.

Banjo had big levels with a few focal points around them!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Man I have great memories playing Banjo Kazooie with my little sister back in the summer of 98. Such a great game, with amazing graphics and level design. I even remember some of the music to it, like that rendition of the "teddybears have their picnic" song....*sniff*...good times.

borghe

IIRC the teams that did banjo and conker aren't there anymore.. or at least the actual developers.

rare = burnt shell of what it once was. nintendo made out like a bandit in that deal.

Prine

Banned
The guy who was the lead designer of Conker is still there. Its on Scribes, there was an intervew with him

Straight after Conker he began work on remake of Conker. He said e's burnt out on Conker and most probably move onto a different project after Live and Reloaded

Prine

Banned
borghe said:
rare = burnt shell of what it once was

You dont know what your talking about. Conker and Kameo impressed Gamespot, IGN, EDGE, Gamespy at e3

Made references to Rare of old

ManaByte

Gold Member
sonycowboy said:
Whuuuuuut?

Sonic Heroes, Crash, Whiplash, Dr Muto, Ty, and Vexx are also on Xbox and a couple on GameCube.

borghe

Prine said:
You dont know what your talking about. Conker and Kameo impressed Gamespot, IGN, EDGE, Gamespy at e3

Made references to Rare of old
conker is essentially the same game already completed on the N64 3 years ago with new art assets and online play. i.e. the rare of today didn't create the game but just gave it a face lift. even the AI is identical according to IGN.

Kameo I have yet to see anything that says it looks exceptional. Everything uses the typical "promising" review line. I'll believe it when I see the final reviews. IIRC Grabbed by the Ghoulies was "promising" as well. :/

dark10x

Do The Mario said:
Dark the jak and daxter 1 which I am talking about wasn’t very open it’s much like the rayman games lots of paths link together.

Banjo had big levels with a few focal points around them!

Then you don't know what you are talking about...

Banjo was broken up by a hub world and you would enter areas similar to Mario 64, IIRC. Each level within was not really all that large.

J&D was a fully linked gameworld. You could go anywhere at anytime with no visible loading. The environments themselves were MUCH larger...

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy is a great game, but certainly not a platformer. The Sphinx parts are akin to Zelda, and the Mummy parts are self-mutilation puzzles. There is more jumping than in Zelda, but the focus is on puzzles, towns (ok really just one town, but it's big), and dungeons.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
J&D was a fully linked gameworld. You could go anywhere at anytime with no visible loading. The environments themselves were MUCH larger...

J&D while still being a good game was a world of paths linked together, yes it was one huge world but it was linear and didn’t have many areas to explore. Yes banjo had a hub world (which was huge) but the levels were massive.

I really liked Banjo, although the sequel was soulless in comparison. I'd love to see Rare try to work with the Banjo or Conker world in a new adventure with Xbox tech. I'm looking forward to Conker bigstyle, but to get some new stuff would be class.

As for the this gen so far, Super Mario Sunshine > all. I'm partial to a little R+C, J+D and love the charm in Ape Escape 2, but even a lacking Mario game pisses over anything else IMHO.

Future

There were tons of platformers this gen, but it's easy to forget that since many were so forgettable IMO.

Last generation when Mario64 came out, I couldn't believe what I was seeing and couldn't wait to play something else with similar design. Then Banjo came, with even larger levels and environments and again I was amazed wanting more. 3D platformers seemed like there were going to be where it's at for years, and I even wished the PSX was more powerful so I could see even more developers could get in on this action.

Then Donkey Kong 64 came out.

Then all of a sudden I got tired of platformers. Who knew that collecting a bazillion bananas could do that, but it did. Banjo Tooie was just as bad. Conker was a breath of fresh air, but it was almost too little too late at the time.

This gen because of stronger hardware we've seen MANY new platformers, but nothing with a successful unique approach to make them stand out IMO. Just remakes of ideas already done, but this time with good draw distance and crisp visuals. That's part of the reason why Mario64's sequel, while pretty solid in controls and platforming, got somewhat of a lukewarm response as well. Just not enough to make people think they needed to have it. We've collected before, we've hopped around before,...what now?

Jak and Ratchets weaponry and sense of style brings them to the top of the heap, but I just kinda dragged myself through those games as well. Sly was ok, but I don't feel the need to play the sequel. Sonic has gotten worse with each iteration. Won't be surprised if my favorite platforming experience this gen comes from Conker, a port from last gen

dark10x

Do The Mario said:
J&D while still being a good game was a world of paths linked together, yes it was one huge world but it was linear and didn’t have many areas to explore. Yes banjo had a hub world (which was huge) but the levels were massive.

I don't really like either game, but Banjo's worlds never came off as huge to me. I honestly have no idea where you are getting that from. They aren't exactly small or anything, but they really aren't that huge.

My biggest problem with Jak 1 is that it was too non-linear and aimless.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really like either game, but Banjo's worlds never came off as huge to me

Thats a shame, most other people in this thread found the world large :(

I never played conker on the N64 so i can't wait to pick up the Xbox title!

jedimike

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy is a great game, but certainly not a platformer. The Sphinx parts are akin to Zelda, and the Mummy parts are self-mutilation puzzles. There is more jumping than in Zelda, but the focus is on puzzles, towns (ok really just one town, but it's big), and dungeons.

Whatever... the definition of platformer is pretty loose. It was much easier to distinguish in the 2D days. But I consider any game that requires timed jumping to be a platformer. Puzzles have always been in platformers as wel as simple fighting.

If J&D is a platformer, I don't see why Sphinx wouldn't be either.

Vice versa, I could just as easily categorize 90% of the games listed in this thread as action/adventure.

ourumov

Sly Racoon is probably the best platformer this gen. Every platformer freak should go out and buy a PS2 now just for it.
Sly is a 16 bit platfforming game ported to 3D, that's it :)

Both Jack & Daxter/Ratchet & Clank were pretty meh...IMO.

I think it's a shame myself. Personally I was pissed at the news of Microsoft dropping Double Fine and Oddworld Inhabitants. I mean, I'll still check those games out. I just wanted the xbox to have its own unique characters. And personally I'm not hyped about Blinx in any way, shape, or form. Oshima might have the classic Sonic Team art style, but he doesn't have the rest of the package from what I've played. I hope Psychonauts comes to fruition with Majesco.

Top Bottom