• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where’s Banjo? Lack of platformers on the Xbox!!

The only platformers I enjoyed this generation are Mario Sunshine, R&C 1 & 2 and Sly 1 & 2.

I wish had worked on Banjo3 instead of Kameo or Conker.
Kameo looks a bit cheesy (i think it's because of the boxing plant) and i don't know if i'd be interested in playing Conker again.

Insertia

People actually enjoy the Banjo series? It encompasses everything I hate about platformers.

Large generic uninspired levels of suck with terrible character designs.

P90

sonycowboy said:
Answer: Get a friggen PS2 already.

Already do. Outside of Klonoa, no good platformers for my taste (save multiplatform sonic). Sly is tolerable.

A Bk would have me repurchase an Xbox.

Heh heh. I found out the hard way how much the Xbox lacks platformers.

I had a woman come into my store one day asking about a "mario-like game" for her child. Like an uninformed dope, I said "Sure, no problem. Right over here, mam." I scurried through our shelves of titles and to my surprise, there were very few. I think it basically came down to Blinx the Time Sweeper or Scooby-Doo(Which I don't even think qualifies as a platformer anyway). I think she went with Scooby.

Whuuuuuut?

Jak, Ratchet & Clank, Sly, Rayman 2, Klonoa, Maximo, Ape Escape 2, Sonic Heroes, Cookies & Cream, Tak, Crash, Spyro, Whiplash, Dr Muto, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Vexx, Haven, ...

Wow. That's a very shitty list of platformers. Rag on Mario Sunshine all you want, but it is far and away the king of platformers this generations.

platformers doesn't sell anymore. Only fps games do!

j/k.

No, you're absolutely correct.

Every new genre has thousands of copy-cats when it's still fresh. Mario spawned litereally hundreds of me-too games. Platformers were very popular for a good period of 12 years(1985-1997), but I think a lot of people just got sick of them. Street Fighter 2 did the same with the fighting genre, and you don't see a whole lot of fighters anymore either. The three popular genres right now are FPS, Racing, and free-roaming GTA clones. And while they will never die off completely, I doubt they'll be as popular 5 or 6 years from now. There just isn't a big market for platformers anymore.

If somebody can breathe new life into the genre with a new, original game, then the popularity of platformers may rise once again, but I haven't seen any indication of that happening anytime soon. Yeah Nintendo's got their new Mario title set to launch in the next couple of years, but I can't see it being anywhere near as revolutionary as Mario 64 was.

P90

dark10x said:
That's it? J&D kinda sucks...

It looks very nice, but the game was just so incredibly easy and aimless.

Of course, I also hated Banjo. The game was "OK", I suppose, but the characters were so incredibly awful that it detracted from the experience.

I thought Banjo and Kazooie were fine characters- heck Naughty dog and Insomniac more or less aped Rare on the characterization, but spun the character types into adolescent cool. Rare got theirs from Abbot and Costello, etc. Gamewise, British humor and sarcasm>>>>American humor and sarcasm.

madara

sonycowboy said:
Whuuuuuut?

Jak, Ratchet & Clank, Sly, Rayman 2, Klonoa, Maximo, Ape Escape 2, Sonic Heroes, Cookies & Cream, Tak, Crash, Spyro, Whiplash, Dr Muto, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Vexx, Haven, ...

And not one that has my interest.

madara

Insertia said:
People actually enjoy the Banjo series? It encompasses everything I hate about platformers.

Large generic uninspired levels of suck with terrible character designs.

Your thinking BT, second one. Nothing is more light and dark then Banjo series. First one was brillant, second was worst of all nightmares, totally losing its soul.

But first one, NOTHING and I mean nothing delivered better. Characters that riveled disney classics that you cared about and enjoyed helping. I remember its was my babysitting trick. Lets save clacker guys! World was so well thought out, so much variety as well, moves included. I die just play BK1 remake.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Answer: Get a friggen GBA already.

I have a GBA but i have original smb3 and smb's carts and i have played yoshi's inland and super Mario world to death!! Can’t wait for the new 2d Mario platformer on the DS!

Rhindle

This gen's best platformer happens to be on Xbox.

950105b.jpg

Rhindle said:
This gen's best platformer happens to be on Xbox.

950105b.jpg

except its not meant to be a platformer. JSRF is a broken game IMO. everything good about the dc version was thrown out in favour of broken gameplay

Top Bottom