• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which art style you like to see return?

Metaballs

G7LDJZc.gif

Damn, I remember reading about this game in Next Generation or something but I've totally blanked on what it is.

DryvBy

After most modern games going for the vomit diarrhea shit soup of random rainbow colors with no rhyme or reason, I could enjoy browns and greys again. Even when it was dull, it wasn't an open assault to the senses like the multicolored heat stroke games are going for now with color palletes.

You mother fuckers need to stop wishing with a monkey's paw.
I actually loved the brown dusty looking stuff of the late 90s and early 00s. Something felt grungy about it all.

DryvBy

Sierra adventures looked so unique to me too. Kings Quest is just gorgeous but a forgotten gem is Pepper's Adventures in Time which got me into US History as a kid. Just look at these pixels and the font!

peppers-adventures-in-time-befbd6f2-0696-4739-b9f1-ac502cfed5f-resize-750.png

Last edited:

Hypereides

Gold Member
The stop-motion and claymation aesthetic. Its already been seen in Hylics, but it would be nice to see more devs adopt it. A new Clayfighter that could competently stand toe-to-toe with some of the fighting game giants of the scene would be fantastic. A sequel to the original Skullmonkeys would be nice too.

Already mentioned ITT, but the stylised detailed low poly look a la Megaman Legends. Its already making a resurgence in the indie scene from what I've seen. Hope more creators embrace it.

Not sure if it qualifies, but seeing a return of 2.5D gameplay with 3D scripted camera angles akin to Pandemonium would be neat. Most modern 2.5D games seem to be in the side view metroidvania and run 'n' gun genre.

Last edited:
vn63jhY.jpeg

Dark and gritty. To much happy colours up in my face in alot of shooters now days, even COD and CS have got brighter over the yrs. Looking forward to STALKER 2 for that darker tone.
I think the companies nowadays embrace the more vibrant color palette so they can make more character/weapon skin variants to sell...

But yes, it would be refreshing to see a big game with this style now. I'm done with purple.

Hopefully one of these indie devs doing 90s PS1 retro style games will one day try and recreate what Megaman Legends series looked like:

mega-man-mega-man-legends2.gif

megaman-legends.gif

megaman-legends.gif

To me it was the best looking PS1 franchise of all time, and for me that's saying a lot because I felt that the system had a library full of ugly 3d games.
I used this reference yesterday with the team artist! Don't think it is going to work for the project but I needed to try it

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Mid 90's to early 00's Anime
Stuff like Xenogears, Breath of Fire IV, Valkyrie Profile, Legend of Dragoon, etc

But to be more specific, I still think Breath of Fire IV is one of the best looking games ever.
The artstyle has that late 90s look Im talking about, and blends excellent spritework with 3D environments in a matching style that does a great job blending both styles together (I'd argue a better job than pre rendered backgrounds with basic 3D models like many other Ps1 Rpg's)

breath-of-fire-breath-of-fire-iv.gif

breath-of-fire-breath-of-fire_4-1-.gif
One of the best games ever made. Capcom really goofed to not come back to this. No the phone game doesn’t count.

I also think we need more games that look like Disco Elysium.

kim-handshake_wide-a38c2a1ca5f365ab26145b1ece67f1595bc4a679.png

Last edited:

Hudo

Mid 90's to early 00's Anime
Stuff like Xenogears, Breath of Fire IV, Valkyrie Profile, Legend of Dragoon, etc

But to be more specific, I still think Breath of Fire IV is one of the best looking games ever.
The artstyle has that late 90s look Im talking about, and blends excellent spritework with 3D environments in a matching style that does a great job blending both styles together (I'd argue a better job than pre rendered backgrounds with basic 3D models like many other Ps1 Rpg's)

breath-of-fire-breath-of-fire-iv.gif

breath-of-fire-breath-of-fire_4-1-.gif
I still maintain that Breath of Fire IV easily shares the "best looking PS1 JRPG" crown with Vagrant Story.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I would really like Nintendo to manufacture new game boy color and game boy advance and start making new 8 and 16 bit handheld games again.

Retro, but in 2024. No backlit, no nothing. Maybe just wi fi and free multiplayer.

Indie Retro News: Link's Awakening DX HD - An unofficial PC ...

There was criticism of the 360/Wii/Ps3 era, their rules was basically dark, brown and black games. I think today they would focus on better lighting and choosing the right colors.
Now that people here are nostalgic for the PS360 gen, they seem to have forgotten their own complaints about that gen.

Most of those fun colorful games from the Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox gen were mostly gone or covered in a specific warm tone color scheme, bloom effects, and heavy motion blur.

It was a whiplash seeing a ton of great varied franchises, old and new, suddenly missing and the ones remaining using the yellow/green/gray/brown color scheme with bloom to try and find an audience.

It also didn’t help that we had a few renowned Japanese PS2 devs suddenly chasing the Gears of War trendline and making their own Gears but just worse quality.

There are a lot of gems from the PS360 gen, but the choice in art styles did not help it age as well.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Boris Vallejo, Frank Frazetta, Luis Rojo.

Basically I want dark, mature, balls to the wall heavy metal fantasy again. Give me blood, leather, tits and ass and pecs and cocks. Fantasy is too safe and generic outside of fromsoft games these days.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Speaking of art styles in general; Personally, I want to see some ambitious AAA studio make a 3D game that intertwines 2D animated characters into its world building/premise. Quite like Who framed Roger Rabbit or Cool world. Why it hasn't been attempted yet by some big studio, I dunno. I can imagine it would be kinda tricky to pull off though. Video for moodboard/reference:

To see a game like that in the 2020s would be so cash. Cuphead has already brought golden age rubber hose animation back into the mainstream. Its all about tacking on some believable realism onto it.

Its honestly astounding how well the visual presentation from the original Mirror's edge holds up to this day. The EA c-suite seriously doesn't understand what they had going there.

On a sidenote, the soundtrack is also pretty stellar too.

nkarafo

Speaking of art styles in general; Personally, I want to see some ambitious AAA studio make a 3D game that intertwines 2D animated characters into its world building/premise. Quite like Who framed Roger Rabbit or Cool world. Why it hasn't been attempted yet by some big studio, I dunno. I can imagine it would be kinda tricky to pull off though. Video for moodboard/reference:

To see a game like that in the 2020s would be so cash. Cuphead has already brought golden age rubber hose animation back into the mainstream. Its all about tacking on some believable realism onto it.

Actual good 2D animation like this is a lost art. Nobody wants to draw 24 animation frames by hand and even if they did, nobody wants to finance it. I'm sure Richard Williams (the animation director of Roger Rabbit) would have a lot to say about this matter.

Cuphead also does frame by frame animation but that's a once every 20 years thing.

Dr. Suchong

HPv3vqt.jpeg
3aS50KC.jpeg

Muramasa is one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played, despite that tbh it gets pretty repetitive. There isn't really anything like it except other Vanillaware games, but I think this is still the best looking.
I'd crawl on my stomach through broken glass for a remaster of this.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Actual good 2D animation like this is a lost art. Nobody wants to draw 24 animation frames by hand and even if they did, nobody wants to finance it. I'm sure Richard Williams (the animation director of Roger Rabbit) would have a lot to say about this matter.

Cuphead also does frame by frame animation but that's a once every 20 years thing.
If any of the management/c-suits in these AAA studios have a single ounce of artistic integrity left in them, they would finance something like this blindly. It would stand out in a good way and differentiate itself wildly from the competition.

xrnzaaas

Less saturation, less colors. I mean it works for some games (I even enjoyed 200% saturation in AC Mirage), but it definitely ruins the experience if the game wants to be more serious.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Boris Vallejo, Frank Frazetta, Luis Rojo.

Basically I want dark, mature, balls to the wall heavy metal fantasy again. Give me blood, leather, tits and ass and pecs and cocks. Fantasy is too safe and generic outside of fromsoft games these days.
This.

Trilobit

happy the legend of zelda GIF
video games nintendo GIF by Channel Frederator
There was criticism of the 360/Wii/Ps3 era, their rules was basically dark, brown and black games. I think today they would focus on better lighting and choosing the right colors.

video games nintendo GIF

video games GIF

Legend Of Zelda Link GIF by GIPHY Gaming

The atmosphere in TP was great. So dark and mysterious. If done right with Switch 2 tech and, as you said, better lighting it could be awesome if Nintendo wants to make a darker Zelda game next.

I would like to see a more modern approach to the WW style of Cellshading. The emotions the game carried... So good.
57kNVXD.gif

Talking about emotions, I had completely forgot how expressive Link was in this game. When I played TP afterwards it was like watching a botox-damaged Link who could barely express anything in comparison.

It was truly like playing a Sunday matinee cartoon. I hope we get this style once more. I'll look like this if it happens:
7kC85XB.png

Bond007

I came in here to say Auto Modelista. Im glad it's already been mentioned.

I also enjoyed The Mark of Kri art style.

Top Bottom