• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which art style you like to see return?

KXVXII9X

This low poly PSX inspired art style is one of my favorites right now, and I hope we'll see many more indie games using it.

I really love this style in that it makes you think more carefully about your assets and the overall gameplay and environmental design. It is like drawing and it being easier if I start with simple geometric shapes to build up something more complex, instead of starting with more organic and complex shapes from the start. I really like how artistic the modern PS1 games look and how they have a lot of attention to detail while looking more primitive than what we have now. They seem to exude a lot of atmosphere and character. It is a nice balance of being simplistic enough for it to be accessible to indie developers and detailed enough to look somewhat modern.

shaddam

BZYybW1.png

Toots

Gold Member

The remake really made me question going to the ophtalmologist with it's weird image superimposition technique, but fortunately it also made me want to throw up so much i couldn't even get out of my couch.
(Still i persevered and it's not so bothering once you're used to it)

Anyway i don't have a specific style i want brought back, but i wish more games used the Ghibli esthetics. Apart from Kena i don't see any exemple for this gen...
And i still wish some devs adapted Nausicaa. It has everything to make a great open world game, a strong woman as the lead and all the art direction work is done by the master himself.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I love this thread!

The painterly textured style isn't an old style really, but I would love to see more of it in non-GaaS games. I know now all over animation, but I think it works really well with games.

Sifu is probably the best example of what I mean. It isn't exactly flat like 2D and cel-shading and doesn't have complete photorealistic Rendering (PBR) like most modern 3D games.

Stray is even more subtle and seems to have a mix, but you can still see some stylized textures.

The animations and some physics are great but still currently unoptimized.

Jusant is an example of where I want the style to go towards with using nanite for more a lot more detail while making it keep the stylized look. It does look somewhat unfinished though.

These are just some examples. The style is more common in AA/indie/multiplayer, but I would like for more Non-Photorealistic Rendering (NPR) in the Single player AAA space.

intbal

hold on. Was this the follow-up to ecstatica 2? I think it got canceled
It was actually planned after Ecstatica. But was canceled in favor of Ecstatica 2.
They did get a little bit of production done on it, though, as you can see from the screenshots.

Top Bottom