• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

User 7575

Banned
Dude, the one thing we're never supposed to talk about is that stretch when AniHawk was a mod.

best three weeks.

Equus Bellator Apex said:
I honestly don't know.

Start by asking me, then mods, then admins.

Ask me if you'll be a junior member forever.

bengraven

The Evil forum is having a ball with this thread so far. ha. With all the open talk I figured they would be eating it up.

MaestroRyan said:
Dude, the one thing we're never supposed to talk about is that stretch when AniHawk was a mod.

best three weeks.

Wait, what, he was a mod?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
CHEEZMO™ said:
People on my Ignore list: 0

I don't get how people can do that.

It would be useful if it actually erased the posts. But nooo. You have a taunting post with a big button saying : "HERE YOU HAVE A POST YOU CANT READ, CLICK HERE TO READ. CLICK ME CLICK ME."

I just... can't ignore something that isn't really ignored!

It was the first and last time i used the ignore option when i saw that.

TheExodu5

Banned
Green Scar said:
catdance.gif

I always meant to ask: is this a cat walking on two legs or a cat clapping?

Qwomo

I kinda feel like I have to put certain people on ignore here on GAF.

Because I'll get banned if I shit down their throats every time I see them post stupid bullshit.

Most of them get banned, though, so it's a self-correcting problem.

Despera said:
I don't think there's ever a reason to ignore a GAF member. But Gaborn makes me question my stance with each thread of his in OT.
I can see why some people might decide just to spare themselves from being sucked into the same arguments with the same people by putting said person on ignore if you don't think there's any merit to reading their posts. However, it seems more trouble than what it's worth to me out of fear of becoming annoying, ostentatious "did so and so say something stupid again? 'Cause, you know, I didn't read it 'cause I have them on ignore and don't see their posts" person only to directly quote and respond to said ignored person later in the thread.

bengraven

Bisnic said:
It would be useful if it actually erased the posts. But nooo. You have a taunting post with a big button saying : "HERE YOU HAVE A POST YOU CANT READ, CLICK HERE TO READ. CLICK ME CLICK ME."

I just... can't ignore something that isn't really ignored!

It was the first and last time i used the ignore option when i saw that.

Ha, I know. I click it 9/10 in certain threads.

DennisK4 said:
I was honestly sad to see him get banned. He was weird but in a strangely innocent and likeable way.

The weirder part was when Willy105 showed up and for a good while seemed like some kind of Robin to HUELEN's Batman

He stopped that now, but for a while it was odd. Best part was when someone brought up an AIM message from HUELEN saying some shit about Willy, haha

EviLore said:
Ah, phew, that's a relief. I <3 White Man and, again, the tachy stuff was basically just a prank so it was fine one way or another, but I was always curious if MAF figured it out on his own or if he was told about it so that he wouldn't waste a bunch of his time continuing to post.

come ON, maf's narcissism ALONE would lead him to figure it out stat, when no-one responded to his posts! making threads titled "EVILORE AND HITOKAGE LUV POOP" with *0* responses? yeeeeeeah.

for the record, even though i gave you tremendous amounts of shit because that's what i do to people both on and off the interwebs, i never had a problem with you beyond my fucked up need to poke at folks of a patriarchal disposition, and i think this place is run just dandylike. (i myself need more chaos.) you still get props in my head for how you handled the princess waychel debacle, and i've always felt a LEETLE bad that i needled poor hito as much as i did, because that bro is and remains a bro despite all the ways i delighted in immaturely smirking at his earnestness and expertise.

stilgar

DennisK4 said:
I was honestly sad to see him get banned. He was weird but in a strangely innocent and likeable way.

Yeah me too, he was a funny poster, and really kind. Ok, he did turn a little psycho with his Sonic eyes obsession, but it remained limited to one thread.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
there should be a rule where all people in support if the ignore feature must list who they've used it on.

I'm sure nothing could possibly go awry with that.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Pandaman said:
there should be a rule where all people in support if the ignore feature must list who they've used it on.

I like this idea...

I guess this is a pet peeve of mine, but I dislike online communities becoming incredibly focused on their past lore. Really dislike it when ex-posters or posters are elevated to mythological levels. Pretty sure it's inevitable on any forum out there because some posters are pretty crazy or some weird shenanigans do happen eventually. In any case, the behind the scenes stuff is intriguing. Rename thread to NeoGAF: Full Disclosure

bengraven

Pandaman said:

But then you cause more drama.

"Why are you ignoring me?"

It adds nothing to discussion and causes more grief.

RustyNails said:
I guess this is a pet peeve of mine, but I dislike online communities becoming incredibly focused on their past lore. Really dislike it when ex-posters or posters are elevated to mythological levels. Pretty sure it's inevitable on any forum out there because some posters are pretty crazy or some weird shenanigans do happen eventually. In any case, the behind the scenes stuff is intriguing. Rename thread to NeoGAF: Full Disclosure

This forum has been around for a long time. There's a lot of stories behind it. I still find the breaking off of Gaming Age interesting.

Dresden

ConradCervantes said:
Plus he gutted The Contest thread. No point in visiting when you can't bait posters into whacking it by posting lewd photos.
Man, that blows. This Opiate dude doesn't seem chill at all.

RustyNails said:

amazing how you are not REQUIRED to read threads that are clearly historical masturbation, nor are you mandated to POST IN THEM

ya little shit

User 7575

Banned
RustyNails said:

I think it's unavoidable. I joined this forum when I was, what, thirteen? I believe so. For me, can't speak for everyone, NeoGAF was cool. The people that posted here were funny, interesting, and popular. It's just nostalgia, I guess. I mean, I recognize now that those people I read about are just regular people, but it's fun to look back on.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
bengraven said:
But then you cause more drama.

"Why are you ignoring me?"

It adds nothing to discussion and causes more grief.
thats the beauty of it though, the ignorer will never see the question, so the drama will be nipped in the bud from the get go.

it'll also serve to out people who ignore someone and then click 'show post' on every one they see.

User 7575

Banned
*sigh

Will I be a junior member forever?

No, definitely not. You've been a junior member for far too long. Sure, mistakes have consequences, but we all need the opportunity to learn from them. You'll be okay, kid.

Despera

Banned
Pandaman said:
thats the beauty of it though, the ignorer will never see the question, so the drama will be nipped in the bud from the get go.

it'll also serve to out people who ignore someone and then click 'show post' on every one they see.
But can he see a quote of said question? :O

ignore lists are useless because they don't eradicate the person's presence entirely from your browsing experience. oh look, mariotarded2020 just posted SOMETHING and I HAVE HIM IGNORED wow i would rather stalinize his useless teenaged fandouchery from my gaf reality than know that he is still spewing into the ether and getting quoted where i must STILL endure the depradations of his wankspatter content

sohois

I do enjoy these GAF history threads, even though for half the stuff being posted in here its still interesting.

While the thread is on the subject of old mods, whatever happened to the following mods:
BuddyC
sonycowboy
jinx
jim
?

those guys were all mods back when i first registered here but all seem to have disappeared. I'm guessing since no one mentioned them yet there probably isn't much of a story behind them and they just left of their own accord?

what i don't get is why a forum that's so historically "don't post in a thread if you don't like it" is also one of the most banally argumentative and strictly critical of any thread that doesn't follow an "|OT| of A, B, and [adjective] C"

User 7575

Banned
sohois said:
I do enjoy these GAF history threads, even though for half the stuff being posted in here its still interesting.

While the thread is on the subject of old mods, whatever happened to the following mods:
BuddyC
sonycowboy
jinx
jim
?

those guys were all mods back when i first registered here but all seem to have disappeared. I'm guessing since no one mentioned them yet there probably isn't much of a story behind them and they just left of their own accord?

mindblowing.

NewFresh

RustyNails said:
. Really dislike it when ex-posters or posters are elevated to mythological levels.

Some people enjoy the circle jerk, others do not. Those that do not may step away from the proximity of the circle as to avoid stains

Garjon

*sigh

Will I be a junior member forever?
For some reason, this reminds me of the 'New Kid' episode of Recess.
Some members end up getting their posting privileges back eventually, some don't. I think it has more to do with showing you are capable of making consistently good threads rather than an ask politely thing, though I don't see how it could hurt.

bengraven

Drinky Crow said:
ignore lists are useless because they don't eradicate the person's presence entirely from your browsing experience. oh look, mariotarded2020 just posted SOMETHING and I HAVE HIM IGNORED wow i would rather stalinize his useless teenaged fandouchery from my gaf reality than know that he is still spewing into the ether and getting quoted where i must STILL endure the depradations of his wankspatter content

Like I said above, I can't help but click the little bars most of the time.

But nearly every time I do, I'm like "oh, yeah, that's why I have him on ignore".

User 7575

Banned
Garjon said:
For some reason, this reminds me of the 'New Kid' episode of Recess.
Some members end up getting their posting privileges back eventually, some don't. I think it has more to do with showing you are capable of making consistently good threads rather than an ask politely thing, though I don't see how it could hurt.

How can he prove his threadmaking capabilities without the ability to make threads

RustyNails said:
Don't take it personally. Relax.

uh, did you seriously just get played?

MaestroRyan said:
I think it's unavoidable. I joined this forum when I was, what, thirteen? I believe so. For me, can't speak for everyone, NeoGAF was cool. The people that posted here were funny, interesting, and popular. It's just nostalgia, I guess. I mean, I recognize now that those people I read about are just regular people, but it's fun to look back on.

I'll admit I always feel a little bit like a loser when I get nostalgic for old message boards... but I can't help it

Ahh I still miss my former forum. I posted there until the site's owners got sued for slander by a Yale law student and one of the guys lost his job at a big law firm

Makes me appreciate gaf's modding, because I've seen how quickly it can go to shit without mods

Amir0x

Banned
sohois said:

BuddyC
sonycowboy
jinx
jim
?

BuddyC was one of my all-time favorite mods. Dude is a real classy character. A great all-around guy. I think he just got busy with life and eventually he was so inactive he was demodded. That's what I recall.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Drinky Crow said:
come ON, maf's narcissism ALONE would lead him to figure it out stat, when no-one responded to his posts! making threads titled "EVILORE AND HITOKAGE LUV POOP" with *0* responses? yeeeeeeah.

for the record, even though i gave you tremendous amounts of shit because that's what i do to people both on and off the interwebs, i never had a problem with you beyond my fucked up need to poke at folks of a patriarchal disposition, and i think this place is run just dandylike. (i myself need more chaos.) you still get props in my head for how you handled the princess waychel debacle, and i've always felt a LEETLE bad that i needled poor hito as much as i did, because that bro is and remains a bro despite all the ways i delighted in immaturely smirking at his earnestness and expertise.

I appreciate the sentiment.

In retrospect I was really immature at times, anyway, with how I ran things; how I would sometimes publicly lynch people or get into melodramatic feuds with people, be unable to handle criticism well, and how I could get spiteful with people on my bad side or assume the worst in people. Keep in mind that I was a kid or not very far removed from being one for a lot of that history.

Amir0x said:
Ah you're one of those who think stating something with force and conviction equals "using opinion as fact."

Well, since you're factually incorrect about that, all I can say is that we're all adult enough not to have to pepper imo and "i think" before every sentence to pacify overly-sensitive individuals who simply are too stubborn to automatically assume nearly everything in videogame discussion is automatically opinion. Because I can assure you I know that, and I'm the one people like you pitiably love to accuse of not realizing his opinion is not a fact.

Not exactly, since I'm also one of those people who say that Super Mario Galaxy is not just overrated, but just decent and no where near even game of the year level. And people take offense to that.

You know what Ami, let's live this shit behind cause neither of this will end this in any manner that is agreeable. So let's leave this be for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom