• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is still rocking their OG controller that came with their console and for how long?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Both SX and PS5 controllers are working fine from day 1 of buying them.

My PS3 Sixaxis also worked last time I checked it a year or so ago.

intbal

My X360 controller still works flawlessly.
My Duke from 2001 works fine, but the rubber on the left stick is a bit cracked.
Every fucking Xbox One/Series controller has stick drift. The Series X controller developed it after five months.

Nelly_Nel_7.1.3

Neo Member
I am still rocking my Original Dualsense dating back to early 2021. The only real damage is the left thumb stick is a bit worn down and no longer has a perfect rounded edge, but it still works like new.
I was still rocking my og ps4 controller until the R2 button came off when I dropped when I was watching something on YouTube. Luckily I already bought a new Sony ps4 controller last year.

No this ps4 controller is not a 3rd party controller it is an updated ps4 controller (from Sony) that feel great and it does not run out battery as quickly as the og ps4 controller does.

I believed that I had my og ps4 when it first launched. My og ps4 controller was replaced this year. Also I couldn’t game with a 3 buttons og ps4 controller.

Last edited:

Banned
c5q4xWM.jpeg

849 hours on a single Dual Sense since I’ve had my PS5. No real discernible wear and tear yet.

Even more impressive is I’ve mained a Series 2 Elite Xbox controller for nearly 3 years and it’s held up perfect.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Bro I’m still rocking my platinum wave bird from 2003. The amount of playtime I have in that thing is unreal. Guess what? No fucking drift.
The Wavebird was an amazing controller. Mine was stolen, but I'm sure whatever lousy bastard took it is still using it.

I have all my original controllers and they all still work. Some of them a little better than others (N64 and GCN sticks are loose).

My PS4 Pro launch controller lasted till launch of PS5 around 1000h mark in COD MW2019- sticks didn't drift r2 trigger was randomly registered as always pushed in no matter the cleaning. So guns were blasting on an off...

My DualShock 4 v2 second lasted lasted +-6 months and got a stick drift.

My DualSense launch 2022 controller don't drift, sticks get less resistance month by month.

My second DualSense bought a year later has even more loose sticks, no drift so far.

Around 400hrs on COD MWII/MWIII on DualSenses.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
My Dual shock 3 and Sixaxis (I own two PS3s) are both hanging on by a thread lol I use a dual shock 4 on PS3 these days

Xbox 360 controller is in like-new condition because I mostly used a wired one (which is about to fall apart) or my arcade stick

If anyone has working PS2 controller that came with the system I'd be very impressed I owned a few PS2's and all the controllers just stopped working early for no reason

nikos

Both of my launch day PS5 and XSX controllers still look brand new. They barely got any use before I got rid of each console. Use them for the occasional PC game I'd rather play on a controller.

NeonDelta

My two launch ps5 controllers still going strong.

Although not used much anymore my 20th anniversary ps4 controller also going strong after 9 years and even longer I have a ps3 controller that still works perfectly.

Don’t get how people break so many controllers

DiscoDave

Same ps5 controller from launch but it was repaired for stick drift after a few months of owning. Never had a problem since.

Dazraell

My old X360 controller still works lol. I'm sometimes using it when I play games on my PC as battery lasts for much longer

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I replay Skies of Arcadia (and other classics but moistly Skies of Arcadia) every year with the Controller that came with my Dreamcast from 1999.
So I guess that counts right.

SbtW8he.jpg

Yes, I keep it very clean and yes its in vault to stop it from yellowing.....I dont even know if Dreamcasts do yellow, but I aint gonna take that chances as you can see my dirty Mechanical Keyboard from pre-Fortnite has yellowed weirdly.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
GameCube controller still working like the first day, back from when those things were made to last.

the right bumper on my xbox one controller broke after playing sekiro for 65 hours on pc
Those bumpers break quite easily, mine exploded while playing Elden Ring.

My XSX controller still works like new. My white PS5 controller got the worst stick drift. I even took it apart to thoroughly clean the sticks and it did nothing. :messenger_expressionless:

All my PS3 and PS4 controllers still work perfectly. Still have a working Gamecube controller too.
Try these for DualSense

Newest joysticks available on the market TMR electromagnetic joysticks, better than Hall Effect. New sensor, no noise flat response. In theory there aren't any moving parts touching, hence no drift.

Also as for when I see posts like "mine holds up x hrs I don't know what you guys do with controllers"

Sony or MS does not make analog modules, Alps does. They just order bulks and put them in- it's pretty cheap in bulks I suspect cents even for Sony or MS or Nintendo . From what I see, it could be QA problems in Alps.

If someone got a golden sample then ok- launch controllers maybe those but not always, if it fails after six months of usage without eating beside your controller or throwing it. Then it's QA issue. If sensor fails that's not usage issue at all. And it will drift...

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they can't keep up... But we will never know.

I'm just saying that it's not always user fault some controllers get a stick drift.

If this wasn't an issue we would have any Hall Effect joysticks, nor TMRs.

It's nice to see some advancements in this department.

I may switch to TMRs with my second DualSense not launch controller just to see how good they really are.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, my original DualSense is still absolutely fine. Well, the battery life is a bit worse now, but no other apparent wear like with the DS4.

Last edited:

ElFenomeno

Bought the PS5 console in 2021. Got drift on both controllers lol. Meanwhile I have two old ass ps3 controllers doing just fine.

Last edited:

Preseznik

Only have one launch controller that's useless and that's a DualShock 4 that developed drift after *not touching it for years*

I still have X360 controllers I use daily (on PC).

Robb

Gold Member
I still use both my JoyCons and Pro controller that I got with my Switch back in 2017.

Considering the ‘stick drift’ controversy around the JoyCons I feel extremely lucky they still work.
kris jenner GIF by E!

Roberts

Once in a blue moon I turn on my OG xbox and both controllers still work after more than 20 years with no issues whatsoever. The same with my 360 controllers. I gave my old Xbox One to my mom and the controller that came it still works as of last month. Frankly that is because I didn't really play these consoles all that much. I have 4 controllers for my XSX. Elite one that has rubber grips sliding off but still works with no stick drift. Elite 2 Core that sometimes double clicks A button and two regular controllers where the OG one has a minimal stick drift but the other one that I got a few month later still works perfectly. I can't comment on my PS3, 4pro, 5, XOX and Wii (or any older consoles I had) controllers as I sold them long time ago, but last I heard my PS5 controller still works. I guess I am lucky or just don't play very aggressively.

Last edited:

Sintoid

I think that in my life the only stick I broke was the Atari 2600 one
And I had almost every console that came out in Europe

BlakeofT

Still using the Switch Joycons I got on launch day in March 2017. Both of them have some plastic chunks missing and the left one is really hard to slide on and off. They still work fine though!

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I still have my original dual sense. Had to replace my Xbox Series S controller and Switch pro controller. They still work but feel worn on 1 button. Had to replace joycons too.

Last edited:

SolidQ

Playing games in my PS2 controller since 2003, don't need new controller's and will play probably another 10+ years

TheAssist

Still using my 2016 DS4 controller and 2020 PS5 controller. I never in my life had any controller fail me, other than 3rd party N64 controllers.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
4.5 years Series X controller, no issues

Granted, my GF got Series X year later and she is on 4th controller, stick drift at all cases

My original Xbox one pad is still kicking. Unfortunately, I'm kryptonite to the series controllers and my XSS pad got stick drift and I'm starting to get a sticky A on the XSX pad.

mdkirby

hahahaha no. They ALL break. 3 dead dual sense, dual sense edge ive had to swap out one stick already. Dead series X controllers, the Elite still works, but the A button doesn't work 1/3rd of the time.

Metnut

My launch dual sense started showing some minor/moderate stick drift so I replaced it last week.

Still can’t beat Messmer though. There goes that excuse.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Probably the oldest controller I own that actually came with a system I bought back in the day is a SNES pad. The N64 pad that came with my ice blue system still works because I didn't let other people use it, handled it carefully and I took the stick apart to lube up a few years ago. Really I became afraid to ever use it in modern times until doing this.

My family beat up Wavebirds but the first one I purchased still happens to be perfect, if a little scuffed up. I have a pile of broken GCN controllers though I pretty much just keep for parts to maintain a few ok ones.

RCX

Seems like no controller really stands up to long terms use anymore. My original elite starting to die after about 3 years, not great for the price IMO

Whereas when I was a kid this third party piece of shit (AKA "the little brother controller") was basically un-killable.

sp01.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom