• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

who won mens all around gymnastics gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoccaJava

Banned
No way. You're lying. I refuse to believe that.

Paul Hamm just FELL on his vault landing, tumbling off the mat, being stopped by the hands of the judges. He got a 9.1!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
why spoiler tag stuff? You are in a thread that says "who won the mens all around", I entered because I figured it was compltely over :p

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
StoOgE said:
why spoiler tag stuff? You are in a thread that says "who won the mens all around", I entered because I figured it was compltely over :p

It hasn't aired in the West coast...

You know what's funny about this spoiler stuff? NBC actually bothers to warn people about them, but out local news station here in Arizona doesn't. It'll be their top story and they don't give you any warning at all.

Also, I'd sex Hamm if he just didn't talk. I love men's gymnastics, they're all so hot.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
DarthWufei said:
Also, I'd sex Hamm if he just didn't talk. I love men's gymnastics, they're all so hot.

Same here. I was in for a huge disappointment last winter when I heard the twins talk for the first time. Whenever I see a mic going near them now I just press the mute button.

yeah, but then why enter a thread with this title if you DONT want to know?

I found out hours ago and its not like it hurts anybody by using spoiler tags.

OmniGamer

DarthWufei said:
You know what's funny about this spoiler stuff? NBC actually bothers to warn people about them, but out local news station here in Arizona doesn't. It'll be their top story and they don't give you any warning at all.

lol, yeah major highness on the voice...there's always one good way to shut him up :p

Stele

Holds a little red book
Judges were way too lenient with his fuckup on Vault. That should have been in the mid-8s scoring.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Stele said:
Judges were way too lenient with his fuckup on Vault. That should have been in the mid-8s scoring.

It was a blind landing, which pushed the starting score pretty high. They took off five/tenths of a point for "sitting". A little bit more for being off center. It was a fair score.

Awesome night for Gymnastics. I felt sorry for the Koreans, but I think Hamm deserved it.

Stele

Holds a little red book
I know what happened. He sat, he was out of bounds, and one of the judges had to save his ass - that should have been an extra .5 deduction right there. Yang Wei for his fuckup got deducted .2 more than Hamm with the same built-in .5 deduction.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Hamm winning. He's the only American gymnast that actually does some of the high-risk skills, instead of just relying on consistency with the safe moves. That's what I want to see -- difficult skills. Like Yang Wei's double-double layout on Floor and Draglescu's whatever on Vault. Too many bitches are winning medals just because the real competitors are screwing up.

MoccaJava

Banned
Stele, Yang Wei screwed up on his actual routine. Not the landing. Paul Hamm did the exact opposite.

If Yang Wei had done his routine perfectly but had a landing like that, you would have seen a similar score.

If Hamm had an abysmal vault but stuck the landing, he would have had a lower score than a 9.1.

Stele

Holds a little red book
What do you mean? Maybe if he missed an entire turn or something on the Tsukahara. Usually, that doesn't happen. The landing is most of the deductions come from.

MoccaJava

Banned
Admittedly, I don't know a ton about Olympic judging, but it makes sense.

Paul Hamm's actual vault was great. Yang Wei's routine, he screwed up and fell off the apparatus.

Paul Hamm's landing was terrible. Yang Wei's dismount was fine.

Do you note the differences? I think it is a bigger deduction from screwing up your actual routine, and falling off (plus other various deductions that happen normally), than doing a phenominal vault but missing the landing.

Stele

Holds a little red book
I already pointed this out. 0.5 for the sit (don't know about the out of bounds), and 0.5 for Yang Wei letting go of the bar. I don't even know if Hamm's vault was out of 10. I think it was only a Tsukahara 2 1/2 twist.

MASB

That was an amazing competition. I don't think I've ever seen someone come back against such seemingly impossible odds as Hamm did. After his vault, it seemed like just getting a bronze medal would take perfect rountines on his part and some bad moves on his competitor's parts. But to win the gold, wow!

It'll be interesting to see how the Chinese do in the individual events. Considering what was thought they would achieve in gymnastics at the Olympics this time, they've struggled to say the least.

yoshifumi

Banned
Stele said:

vault scores usually don't go too far from their start values unless something really terrible happens, because since it's only one trick, it's hard to take too many deductions.

yoshifumi

Banned
Stele said:
I already pointed this out. 0.5 for the sit (don't know about the out of bounds), and 0.5 for Yang Wei letting go of the bar. I don't even know if Hamm's vault was out of 10. I think it was only a Tsukahara 2 1/2 twist.

i didnt' watch tonight (i taped it going to watch it tomorrow) but i think it's a kasamatsu with 2 twists (if it's the same has his vault from the team comp). it's a 1/4 turn on, then 1/4 turn off in the opposite direction, into a front flip...sort of. i dunno i've never really done one but that's always how it's been explained to me. i'm not positive that it's worth a 10.0 either, but i think i heard it mentioned that it was out of a 9.8.

out of bounds i think is .1, plus .5 for the fall, plus various execution deductions means he probably had a fair score. i'll have to post again after i watch.

edit: i think the best way to explain a kasamatsu is to say it's a cartwheel/roundoff on, then turn and flip

jiggle

yoshifumi said:
i'm not positive that it's worth a 10.0 either, but i think i heard it mentioned that it was out of a 9.8.

The Romanian guy did the exact same vault afterward, and i think they mentioned that the vault was worth around 9.8, like you said.
The vault that the other Romanian guy did was the one that's worth 10.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom