• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who would you side with here, me, or EBGames?

goodcow

Whenever I order something from EBGames.com, I check within a week of ordering to see if the price has dropped for an adjustment. In this case, I bought a pre-played Die Hard Trilogy four days ago for $3.99 plus the 15% coupon and free shipping.

Today I check, and the item is $1.99. I call for an adjustment, but apparently the item "is not the same."

Since four days ago, they added a second database entry of it:
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/143156.asp

I ordered:
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/124586.asp

Yes first one "apparently" isn't the GH version, but you're not even guaranteed that since it's pre-owned and they just pick any random stock available, so these are THE EXACT SAME ITEM.

The phone rep argues that they're not, because they have different item numbers, even though they're both Die Hard Trilogy, pre-owned, for PSOne. After arguing for a few minutes on the principle of the matter, and apologizing for any hassle I might be causing, but won't back down from since it's absurd to think the items are different from my point of view, I ask to speak with a manager. After being put on hold for a few minutes, the phone rep comes back saying the manager said it wasn't worth the hassle, and he was issuing my refund.

You have a week long period for price adjustments... in this case, they added a second, cheaper database entry of the game, probably by accident. They're the same thing. I don't see what the big deal was. I even told him I understand how from his viewpoint with the database numbers they're different, but in reality they're the same product.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
You should actually talk to the manager. I hate phone reps, they always want the easy way out so they make up stories(like the guy probably did with the manager thing) or they don't tell you the full details so you can just give up and hang up. Talk to the manager, they usually understand.

goodcow

I can the different point of views here clearly though... my problem is he couldn't see mine.

The rep probably didn't have authorization to do a price adjustment to an item whose database number was actually different.

The manager probably didn't want the hassle of talking to me for $1.60 or so of a refund.

But for both of them, they could've had the courtesy to acknowledge my inquiry better. The phone rep could only say, "But they're not the same item" over and over. He could clearly see they were, and that's what I wanted, something along the lines of, "Well I can see they're the same, but since they have different database numbers I can't do anything." "Oh, alright then, may I speak with a manager?" "Okay."

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
goodcow said:
I can the different point of views here clearly though... my problem is he couldn't see mine.

The rep probably didn't have authorization to do a price adjustment to an item whose database number was actually different.

The manager probably didn't want the hassle of talking to me for $1.60 or so of a refund.

But for both of them, they could've had the courtesy to acknowledge my inquiry better. The phone rep could only say, "But they're not the same item" over and over. He could clearly see they were, and that's what I wanted, something along the lines of, "Well I can see they're the same, but since they have different database numbers I can't do anything." "Oh, alright then, may I speak with a manager?" "Okay."

Well then, the Manager is a lazy ass and you should complain to the head office. No matter how much of a refund it is, even if it's a dime, the manager should always help, no just sit on his ass and tell some punk "Awww I have to get out of my chair? Tell him it's not worth the hassle".

goodcow

GSG Flash said:
Well then, the Manager is a lazy ass and you should complain to the head office. No matter how much of a refund it is, even if it's a dime, the manager should always help, no just sit on his ass and tell some punk "Awww I have to get out of my chair? Tell him it's not worth the hassle".

Except it's not like I can get the manager's name anyway.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'm with you GoodCow. It is the principal of the matter. And everyone making comments that its "just two bucks" should send GoodCow the money. Afterall, it's just 2 bucks right?

JC10001 said:
I'm with you GoodCow. It is the principal of the matter. And everyone making comments that its "just two bucks" should send GoodCow the money. Afterall, it's just 2 bucks right?

The problem is, no one is going to bother going through the trouble of mailing 2 bucks. Just like EBgames probably didn't want to bother with his query, because again, it's 2 bucks.

emerge

Throwing away $2 or wasting a lot of my and more importantly other people's time for $2 are two different things.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
emerge said:
Throwing away $2 or wasting a lot of my and more importantly other people's time for $2 are two different things.

Yes.

While I'd say he is right on the matter, is it really worth going through all this hassle for $2?

SyNapSe

JC10001 said:

The issue is it would be more of a hassle to get an envelope and put 2 bucks in and go to the Post office to send it than the 2 bucks is worth.

I'm all for being cheap, I guess, but I wouldn't have even checked back on an item that I purchased for $3.99. Even if it got knocked down to .10 cents, I wouldn't bother going back to the store for a 3 dollar refund. Hell, I'd probably use 2 dollars in gas just getting there and back.

B'z-chan

Banned
Dont feel bad cow give them hell. I have and just look at my problem and laugh. Yes i'm gonna be pissy over 17cents. Actually they screw up on tax so i'm gonna wait and see. If i get charged what the email says then i'll be happy. But if not i'm gonna get pissy.

EB Confirmation Email said:
SKU Qty Unit Price Total Platform Name
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
243559 1 $39.99 $39.99 PS2 Hot Shots Golf FORE!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subtotal: $39.99

Shipping: $9.99
Tax: $3.95
-------------
Total: $53.93

www.EBgames.com Order History said:
Hot Shots Golf FORE! (Item 243559)
Subtotal: $39.99
Shipping: $9.99
Tax: $4.12
Total: $54.10

B'z-chan

Banned
Raise Havok said:
I liked internet shopping much better when they didn't charge sales tax.

Same here brother if they are gonna tax the net just make it a flat rate. Cause having it be local is shit. Cause if you send it somewhere and you dont live there, but your shipping they're. Your gonna be charged that tax.

Kind of bs, but Eb's site needs to get fixed. They play some dirty head game with it and my CC.

goodcow

B'z-chan said:
Dont feel bad cow give them hell. I have and just look at my problem and laugh. Yes i'm gonna be pissy over 17cents. Actually they screw up on tax so i'm gonna wait and see. If i get charged what the email says then i'll be happy. But if not i'm gonna get pissy.

Their tax estimates as checkout are just that, estimates. So the final tax cost could be higher when you get the product, depending on them double checking what county you live in.

Anyway, I once asked Amazon for a six cent refund.

FIGHT THE POWER!!!

Unfortunately, I don't have a paypal account. But who am I kidding, clicking that link to send you two bucks still isn't worth my time. :p

xsarien

daedsiluap
The phone rep argues that they're not, because they have different item numbers,

Working in e-commerce, I can tell you that this means everything, regardless of principle. Technicality, sure, but if the GH pre-owned has a different item number than the regular pre-owned, then as far as their system is concerned, they're two different items and you don't qualify for the adjustment.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
xsarien said:
Working in e-commerce, I can tell you that this means everything, regardless of principle. Technicality, sure, but if the GH pre-owned has a different item number than the regular pre-owned, then as far as their system is concerned, they're two different items and you don't qualify for the adjustment.

Man, this is just one step closer to letting the machine rule us.
FIGHT THE POWER!
I once waited a minute for the cashier to get my the penny change I was due. Fuck, its my money, I fucking want it.

Matlock

Banned
To mirror some earlier statements: you're wasting everyone's time with this little crusade for a couple of bucks. For a kid with a dedicated server and an Apple computer, the value of money sure is inflated for you. :p

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
i'm surprised they gave you the refund. over the summer, i worked at united airlines in their refund department.

here's an example of a similar situation: boarding a plane under BP-10 status means you don't have to pay service charges, but it means you might not have a spot on the plane, as it's space-available. however, if the customer service rep. doesn't input you as BP-10, even if your departure card lists you as BP-10, we are told to not offer a refund as the system differentiates between what the employee enters into the system and what is actually entered into the system, as their status could have changed at the last second.

however, there's also the chance that a customer service rep. forgot to enter someone into the system under BP-10 and they get screwed out of their money. however, there has to be a certain bar for judging people.

so, i guess you were annoying enough on the phone that they just gave in. if i did that at my job i'd get yelled at.

Top Bottom