• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whoa, DAOC: New Frontiers is a great (free) expansion!

ManaByte

Gold Member
For a 100mb download the latest FREE DAOC expansion is definitely better than the last free expansion (which just added housing).

They took the frontier zones from each realm and melded them into huge areas where you can do things like use player boats to storm the beaches or go cross-country to get in. They also added in-game real time war maps so you can click a button and see exactly what is going on in the RvR war.

They added in new player boats different from the ones released in Atlantis:
There are three types of player controlled boats in New Frontiers. Each has a maximum speed of 800 units. (Units here does not refer to a length, but a digital setting on the server.) For each person under the total capacity that is not on the boat, movement speed is decreased by approximately 3%. If a boat has less then the minimum requirement of people, the boat cannot be moved.

Scout Boat - Requires at least one person to launch at minimum speed (395 units) and has a total capacity of eight. It costs ten gold.

Galleon - Requires at least two people to launch at minimum speed (290 units) and has a total capacity of 16. The galleon has two siege hookpoints and costs twenty gold.

Warship - Requires at least four people to launch at minimum speed (80 units) and has a total capacity of 32. The warship has four siege hookpoints and costs 75 gold.

The controller of the boat sits in the captain's seat. The controller can set the boat to be public or private using the '/vset' command. If the boat owner leaves the captain's seat, vacating the boat, another passenger may take the captain's seat and control of the boat. If no passenger takes control of the boat, then the next passenger to board the boat will automatically enter the captain's seat, and control the boat.

Even cooler there are now sea battles that can be fought ship to ship:
In order to attack another player controlled boat, players must be seated on the seating hookpoint near a siege hookpoint. Siege hookpoints on boats are green, and visible when you board the boat. Siege equipment can be *built* on these hookpoints only while the boat is stopped. Right click on the green hookpoint to open the store. Purchasing the siege weapon automatically places it in the right spot. You can fire it while the boat is either moving or stopped.

They added in three new battlefields for newbies (realm points aren't awarded in these):
# The Proving Grounds (Level 1-4)
# The Lion's Den (Level 5-9)
# The Hill's of Calret (Level 10-14)

There's a whole bunch more here: http://www.camelotherald.com/newfrontiers/

Definitely download it if you have a DOAC account. Hell, this expansion would be worth paying like $20 for if they sold in in stores.

well I cant play

and IM fucking pissed

I have the gold edition and atlantis and I played abit a fewmonths ago and cancelled

now I reinstall them and patch and enter the gold CD key (which SHOULD activate both the original and shrouded isle), and then enter the key for atlantis but now its saying Shrouded Isles needs a KEY!?, so i check the the box in my gold set and wow it says NO CD KEY NEEDED...

So now I get to wait 72 hours before I hear back from tech support.

AeroGod

ManaByte said:
I have a Thane on Percival.

Im on Percival playing a middie also, whats your name. I have a35 BD, although i dont play it much because me and my friends are starting up some Albs on Merlin.

And also, I play City of Heros way more then I play DAoC, i only jump in the bgs fora an hour or so a day, if even that.

AeroGod

Cool

One thing I find annoying about the expansion is that EVERYONE uses siege weapons. you cant go to any Battleground without seeing 700 ballista and 100 trebs and catapults lying around, and you die to them ALOT.

They need to reduce the amount of siege weapons allowed in each Battleground, and make ti so you cant fire them while underattack

Bog

Junior Ace
AeroGod said:
And also, I play City of Heros way more then I play DAoC, i only jump in the bgs fora an hour or so a day, if even that.

I like how an hour a day is nothing.

After flirting w/ Hibs for awhile, it's just not working out. Going back to Albion, starting an Ice wizzie on Merlin. Gonna try the baby bg's too. :)

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hm...if everyone is starting on Merlin I'll do a Friar there.

Those are fun, you look like a robed caster on the BGs, but you have a giant beat down stick.

ManaByte

Gold Member
eva01 said:
Friars are pretty fun, but in PvP they are not so great.

Heh, tell that to all the melee classes who run up to one on a BG thinking they are just a wimpy robe caster :D

Checked out The Proving Grounds bg (lvl's 1-4) last night and enjoyed myself. I love the new bg's design and graphics. I see siege equipment is more heavily featured this time around.

I have a reaver in Merlin/albion who is:

1) Level 50
2) Legendary Armorcrafter (1112)
3) co-GM for one of the biggest guilds in Merlin (Knights 0f the Round Table)

:D

AeroGod

Cmdr. Solrak said:

1) Level 50

HOOK ME UP!

I have a lvl 9 Half-Ogre Cabalist and a lvl 9 Saracen Necromancer

Im also thinking about a Friar

AeroGod

Midgard Percival is really starting to suck(they owned like a year ago), they get their asses handed to them on a daily basis. Meanwhile, on Merlin, Albion freaking owns everything(or so I hear).

ManaByte

Gold Member
AeroGod said:
Midgard Percival is really starting to suck(they owned like a year ago), they get their asses handed to them on a daily basis. Meanwhile, on Merlin, Albion freaking owns everything(or so I hear).

Albion everything owns everything because every little punk who downloads the free trial goes Alb so they can run around like retards shouting "I AM KING ARTHUR!".

Cmdr. Solrak said:

1) Level 50

Ooooh my name is Cmdr. Solrak and i like to brag a lot!!! :p j/k

Thanks for 3.5 plat recently. That should fund me to 50 on my ice wizzie. I'm going to be a MONSTER spellcrafter. So if any Merlin alb's are looking for uber sub-50 gear, send me a tell if ya see me in a few weeks.

Beltonte - Ice Wizzie - Future Legendary Spellcrafter - Merlin

:)

ManaByte said:
Albion everything owns everything because every little punk who downloads the free trial goes Alb so they can run around like retards shouting "I AM KING ARTHUR!".

lol...I believe this news!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hunting Albs in Killanoe:
sshot000.jpg

Top Bottom