• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Anyone Can Be Chinese - WSJ

397432_10150564694089453_9023924452_8904972_1031492061_n.jpg
Lol

vern

This is Dolezal-ish but the Chinese identity is incredibly inclusive and fluid, really defined by culture more than ethnicity or nationality.

If this guy's kids are raised entirely in the Chinese culture and speak the language predominately, I don't see how they could be considered anything but Chinese.

Even if the kids speak Chinese and are raised in the culture, Chinese people will still call them "foreigner" every time they go outside. If you don't look Chinese here, you aren't considered Chinese.

watershed

Banned
As a scholar he should be able to understand his own cultural identity well enough to not try to conflate culture and race. He is culturally Chinese but ethnically White/European Canadian. Legally he is a permanent resident of China. He occupies a rare but not at all new demographic of expats who identify more with their adopted home than their place of origin. All the vocabulary and discourse to understand his lived experiences already exist without trying to undo race and culture or to pull some Dolezal type twist.

S1lent

I thought that sounded like Daniel Bell. He marries a rather odd appreciation for Confucian political values with an idealized and illusory view of China's current political system (he thinks its a meritocracy--hahaha) to contort himself into a CCP apologist. Weird dude.

ZOONAMI

Yeah, no.

Dudes a waiguoren (foreigner) and always will be to the Chinese, with added respect because he can speak some Chinese.

My experience in China for 6 Mos was basically this after taking 3 years of Chinese I was still shit at the language and still am. Generally people are very nice there to foreigners though, and you can literally make a damn good living just tutoring college students English, if not exactly legal.

sphagnum

Banned
The Han are an ethnicity, you may engross yourself and become an ethnicity, but without having the racial features like east asians have you wont be able to be considered chinese.

Sorry weird chinese weaboo

Edit: were the Qing considered chinese? or were they always outsiders who dressed in chinese cloth basically?

AFAIK the Han hated them but they are now retroactively considered a legitimate dynasty.

Even if the kids speak Chinese and are raised in the culture, Chinese people will still call them "foreigner" every time they go outside. If you don't look Chinese here, you aren't considered Chinese.

Right, and this dude is trying to start a dialogue on changing the exclusionary thinking that dominates some of the most influential cultures and economies on Earth (China and Japan). And instead of trying to encourage this inclusivity, even Americans who personally understand the benefit or integration and who understand the pain of racist exclusionism just handwave this issue away as "Asians will always be Asian, dumb weaboo." So what hope do they have?

massoluk

Banned
The Han are an ethnicity, you may engross yourself and become an ethnicity, but without having the racial features like east asians have you wont be able to be considered chinese.

Sorry weird chinese weaboo

Edit: were the Qing considered chinese? or were they always outsiders who dressed in chinese cloth basically?

Qing Dynasty was considered to be legit inheritor of Mandate of Heaven. Kang Xi was considered one of the greatest Chinese emperor.

Today China covers all the territories of ancient enemies of Hans, would be weird otherwise

Dazza

There is a big difference between Old World more homogeneous racially country vs New World countries with far more diversity.

Then you have nationality, culturally, ethnicity and racially which can have a degree of conflation which varies from individual to individual.

It reminds of these youtubers, who have been living in China for ages, but admit they'll never be considered "Chinese".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_L71lFItk

Funny enough, some Chinese people on bilibili or one of the other services started attacking his channel and tried to report him to the police for spying. So yeah, Chinese people kind of suck.

That's exactly how many non-indigenous minorities are treated in most countries, not just China, yes even in the largest of mixing pots.

There are arseholes in every country

Dyle

He's right. What's he's referring to is effectively no different than naturalized citizens being recognized as American, or wherever. Just as it makes sense, at some point, to refer to a Syrian refugee who has resettled in Germany German, does it make sense to refer the writer and others like him as Chinese. Terms like Chinese/American/British etc. all speak to citizenship, culture, and ethnic heritage in some sense, so Chinese ought to be extended and used in the same way other terms are used.

Goofalo

Right, and this dude is trying to start a dialogue on changing the exclusionary thinking that dominates some of the most influential cultures and economies on Earth (China and Japan). And instead of trying to encourage this inclusivity, even Americans who personally understand the benefit or integration and who understand the pain of racist exclusionism just handwave this issue away as "Asians will always be Asian, dumb weaboo." So what hope do they have?

If its a kid, then I see your point.

This is a grown ass man who immigrated to China as an adult, and feels that he can China better than the Chinese.

Ivan 3414

Yeah yeah, the guy complaining about being the only personat a conference in traditional Chinese clothing is offputting.

But if someone immigrated to the US, undertook citizenship, spoke the common language, started a family, and worked there for over 20 years, I think this board would be appalled at anyone insisting that immigrant is not actually an American. We have a board full of empathy for people being deported by ICE who put in less time than this guy has put into integrating into Chinese society.

People say America and they only see a country, people say most any other country name and they only see an ethnicity.

A salient point.

webkatt

I'm on the other side of this. I am American born and raised, however I am a quarter Chinese ethnically. I have strong Asian features and am de facto Chinese here. My friends know I have no cultural ties or even identify with yet yet these still primarily see me as a "white-washed" Asian.

It's a weird thing to go through. I am also part Mexican and no one seems to care or even label me as such because I guess I look too Caucasian to lumped in that category.

*Edit*
Born and raised in Southern California (Los Angeles).

ZOONAMI

I'm on the other side of this. I am American born and raised, however I am a quarter Chinese ethnically. I have strong Asian features and am de facto Chinese here. My friends know I have no cultural ties or even identify with yet yet these still primarily see me as a "white-washed" Asian.

It's a weird thing to go through. I am also part Mexican and no one seems to care or even label me as such because I guess I look too Caucasian to lumped in that category.

Where is here? China?

Goofalo

Do we consider immigrants to Europe as fetishists of the West?

I dunno, do they come into European countries, and claim to Europe better? Or are the only ones who go out of their way to wear traditional dress in a room full of people who are dressed like everyday people?

I'm sorry we just can't make things easier for white people to do whatever the fuck they want without having other people question their motives.

Hopeford

Some of the responses in this thread kinda sadden me, because I don't see much difference between me and him. I'm Latino, but also Canadian - and I identify as the latter., by virtue of having grown up in(and live in) Canada. Some responses here comparing him to Rachel Dolezal remind me of racist old people telling me I'll never be Canadian no matter what my passport says.

I mean, only difference between him and I are the countries we emigrated to, really. But people aren't qualifying their statements even as "Well, it will be difficult for him to be seen that way given the way that country's culture is..." but rather this weird undertone that you can't be a "real" member of a nationality if you aren't born there. And that's...eh.

...That said, him dressing up in traditional Chinese wear is a little man, there's such a thing as trying too hard to fit in. Certain aspects of your new culture are more traditional than daily, and understanding the difference between the two is part of fitting in. It would be like me taking part in hockey riots out of season /s

I dunno, do they come into European countries, and claim to Europe better? Or are the only ones who go out of their way to wear traditional dress in a room full of people who are dressed like everyday people?

I'm sorry we just can't make things easier for white people to do whatever the fuck they want without having other people question their motives.

I promise you that there is nothing unusual about preferring the country you move to than the country you were born in. That tends to be the reason why you move to a country. I would certainly say I prefer life in Canada than my home country, really.

(Unless you are saying that's a fine reason for moving as opposed to the admittedly...odd move regarding the traditional dresses. In that case I just misunderstood your post and I apologize0

Goofalo

All Asian-Americans are white washed. I hate it when Asian-Americans try and pull that shit, then they'll turn around and make fun of someone for being too fobby.

Tuck

I agree with his general argument. Just like people of different races can come to America and be American, so too should other races go to china and be considered Chinese. (Remember that chinese is actually a collection of a ton of different cultures, with Han being the most dominant).

This applies to any culture, really. Because culture is more important to preserve than race.

That said, him identifying as chinese nationally makes sense, but not if he's trying to claim he is actually ethnically chinese (i.e chinese in a white guys body).

Crisium

Some of the responses in this thread kinda sadden me, because I don't see much difference between me and him. I'm Latino, but also Canadian - and I identify as the latter., by virtue of having grown up in(and live in) Canada. Some responses here comparing him to Rachel Dolezal remind me of racist old people telling me I'll never be Canadian no matter what my passport says.

I mean, only difference between him and I are the countries we emigrated to, really. But people aren't qualifying their statements even as "Well, it will be difficult for him to be seen that way given the way that country's culture is..." but rather this weird undertone that you can't be a "real" member of a nationality if you aren't born there. And that's...eh.

...That said, him dressing up in traditional Chinese wear is a little man, there's such a thing as trying too hard to fit in. Certain aspects of your new culture are more traditional than daily, and understanding the difference between the two is part of fitting in. It would be like me taking part in hockey riots out of season /s

Traditional dress shaming?

Wheres the modern Flintstones comic to make me relate to all of this?

WoodWERD

I feel welcomed and loved in China. My wife is Chinese, and I've done my best to integrate since arriving in 2004. But I can't fully succeed.

Dr. Bell is dean of the school of political science and public administration at Shandong University and a professor at Tsinghua University.

What more could he want at this point? He's married to a local, feels loved by locals, and is basically at the top of his profession at the most prestigious universities in the country.

Goofalo

I promise you that there is nothing unusual about preferring the country you move to than the country you were born in. That tends to be the reason why you move to a country. I would certainly say I prefer life in Canada than my home country, really.

(Unless you are saying that's a fine reason for moving as opposed to the admittedly...odd move regarding the traditional dresses. In that case I just misunderstood your post and I apologize0

No, I feel you. I much prefer living in America than Korea. And I, based on my experiences, growing up, have difficulty accepting what he says at face value.

I am giving him the biggest mental side eye.

Izuna

Banned
I agree with his general argument. Just like people of different races can come to America and be American, so too should other races go to china and be considered Chinese. (Remember that chinese is actually a collection of a ton of different cultures, with Han being the most dominant).

This applies to any culture, really. Because culture is more important to preserve than race.

That said, him identifying as chinese nationally makes sense, but not if he's trying to claim he is actually ethnically chinese (i.e chinese in a white guys body).

White -- Chinese

American -- Chinese

edit: got more

Beef -- Chicken

Cow -- Chicken

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If you are a "traditionally white" child raised in China I think sure this might be a bit thorny

If you're just an expat? Hahahahahahaa

Alienfan

Yeah I don't see what people are on about in this thread, he's not claiming to be ethnically Chinese. He just identifies as chinese nationality/culturally. No different from when people become American. It's a good thing

It certainly isn't any lack of commitment on my part to Chinese culture. I've been working on Confucian philosophy for many years, and it inspires the way I lead my life. I'm told over and over that my commitment to Chinese culture is more ”Chinese" than that of many Chinese people. At conferences in China, I often find myself the only person wearing Chinese-style clothing.

giphy.gif

Anyway, jokes aside, this is actually an interesting question. I'd probably urge people not to go with the gut reaction and compare him to Rachel Dolezal. She intentionally tried to deceive people and seemed to only relate, on a very base and insulting level, to black culture. This guy, on the other hand, is pointing to a situation where he's not denying what he is ethnically only proposing that culturally he feels Chinese. What's interesting is that we kind of take this cultural integration for granted in the US. If someone immigrates here, becomes a citizen, meshes with the culture they're considered "American" regardless of their actual origin. For countries that are more homogeneous (yes I'm aware there are tons of subgroups in China, but for lack of a better word) why should someone essentially doing the same thing still be considered a foreigner?

webkatt

All Asian-Americans are white washed. I hate it when Asian-Americans try and pull that shit, then they'll turn around and make fun of someone for being too fobby.

I'm not sure what this means but it feels borderline racist for some reason.

In my case, My father is half Chinese and half Mexican. He grew up in Chihuahua and his first language is Spanish. He speaks English as well, He has a heavy Mexican accent though. He never knew his Chinese father for reasons undisclosed to me and thus was never able to pass on any cultural influence other than Mexican.

Top Bottom