• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Americans love light beers?

MaulerX

I don't understand why this is such a prevalent opinion in this thread.

"It's hot out so I NEED a Miller Lite!"

I'd rather drink a good beer when I'm outside and it's hot. Not sure why it being hot out has anything to do with it.

To me it's only 3 things when it comes to American Lite beers...

-Cheaper
-Easier to get drunk with
-calories

Way to ignore the part where he said it pairs well with meats. In that particular scenario why is it so hard to understand that a light beer might go well while smoking some meats on a hot day?

Not heavy on the stomach (leaving room for the meats!)

Drinks like water. An ice cold beer in that scenario is pretty refreshing while giving you a buzz. And again leaves more room in the stomach for the cookout!

Spuck-uk

Banned
No. Article is from 2014. We have over 5000 breweries in the US now.

The beer war is being won by America and it's not even close at the moment. No one does beer better right now.

That's cute, we have over 1700 for less than 1/5th the population of the US.

US does totally overrate their gimmick beers, like oversweet stouts and unbalanced kettle sours.

Bless.

Rocketz

Americans don't seem to know what cider is either. A great summer drink.

beer_162903.jpg

The medley of cinnamon, pecan, and vanilla

I like this one in the fall.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Cider is what we colloquially call a "bitch drink". Just like malt liquors.

Thats because American cider is super sweet and low ABV. Proper cider goes from 6-8% and comes in imperial pints, tends to be mostly drunk by huge, bearded farmers over here.

^^^
cinnamon, pecan and vanilla...thats an alcopop

"Love" is an odd way to say "have." Don't recall there being many light beer options in Europe, which is unfortunate. Light beer is very utilitaran and nicer to enjoy on a hot day than a heavier ale or lager. Plus you can drink a bunch of them and not get as full or drunk. Purpose built for mowing the lawn.

Futureman

Way to ignore the part where he said it pairs well with meats. In that particular scenario why is it so hard to understand that a light beer might go well while smoking some meats on a hot day?

Not heavy on the stomach (leaving room for the meats!)

Drinks like water. An ice cold beer in that scenario is pretty refreshing while giving you a buzz. And again leaves more room in the stomach for the cookout!

Huh not sure. Never felt bloated or like I couldn't eat because I drank a non-lite beer. But also it's not just that poster I quoted, so many replies in here like "I just cut the lawn, an ice cold Miller Lite is the best").

Spuck-uk

Banned
lol. Have another Fosters, mate. We Aussies make it just for you Yanks and your discerning palate :)

Hey you mostly poison us brits with that foul swill. Though having had VB and Tooheys and the like, your local bad lager is almost as rank.

(Little Creatures and Yeastie Boys are pretty great antipodean breweries though)

Hari Seldon

Yeah I almost exclusively drink craft beer but light beer has its purposes, like weekend drinking mid-day rather than drinking at night lol.

Spuck-uk

Banned
What if I told you one of the big up and coming (and pointless) trends in US craft beer is 'mexican light lager'.

Nafai1123

Banned
It's not an "American" thing. People all over the world enjoy lagers, pillners, etc. Nowadays it's all about the craft brews for anyone that considers themselves a true beer fan.

When I was in Europe pretty much all the beers I saw were light and weak AF. It ain't unique to Americans.

LProtag

Not a fan of light beers.

I'll crack open a PBR or Miller High Life once and a while though, if I want something cheap.

My go to refreshing summer beers are sours though. Dogfish puts out a good sea salt one, and Evil Twin's got this gose that is the most refreshing beer ever, but it's 12 for a 4 pack.

Also shandys are nice in the summer too.

Ucchedavāda;243056409 said:
Compared to the UK you have a population that is about 5 times larger (321M vs 65M based on 2015 numbers), but you only have about 3 times as many breweries (5300 vs 1700 breweries). Your country is punching below its weight when it comes to beer culture.

Number of breweries is strange way to judge the quality and innovation of a country's beer.

finalflame

I hate all the pretentiousness around beer. I love myself a nice hoppy PNW IPA just as much as the next guy, but sometimes I want a light, crisp, refreshing, cold light pilsner/lager like a Coors or Miller Light. One does not preclude enjoyment of the other.

Hari Seldon

What if I told you one of the big up and coming (and pointless) trends in US craft beer is 'mexican light lager'.

That is good. Corona has reached ridiculous prices and they need to be cut down. I remember thinking that Corona was a good family party beer if you wanted to be classier than Miller Light but still wanted a beer that nearly everyone will drink. But shit they are way more expensive than most really good craft beers now.

Chuckie

Beer tribalism in full effect. For some reason people have trouble admitting that there is amazing beer available in all corners of the world.

This. If you go to World Beer Awards for instance, you see winners from all around the globe.

That is good. Corona has reached ridiculous prices and they need to be cut down. I remember thinking that Corona was a good family party beer if you wanted to be classier than Miller Light but still wanted a beer that nearly everyone will drink. But shit they are way more expensive than most really good craft beers now.

Seriously. Wtf is up with that price.

I think each beer has a time and place. If it's a hot day that I've been working outside in and I want to settle down with a cold beer, it's either a cider or a light beer because they go down so easy.
If I want to really enjoy a beer, I go for a craft beer.

kingslunk

Perhaps. A vast percentage of your beer that's sold is light beer though, surely? I say surely, the numbers exist to confirm this.

The better your craft scene is, the more perplexing this is to outsiders.

But there is also a large difference between pride and arrogance. I know that maybe sometimes in the US this is blurred because many of us are more 'disassociated' from our nation and her accomplishments so the reactionary opine of 'we're winning a war' is a rather bad look.

American beers are very good and they're injecting new life and styles into an old craft but when there's a swaggering arrogance associated with becoming competent in something many European breweries have had hundreds of years experience with its sure to be a turn-off for some.

Though to be fair, so is this:

I mean, I think people that would say 'Sony is winning a war' or 'Microsoft is winning a war' were pretty stupid too even though the precedent has been set.

But okay, so, then its what? Some jingoism about American exceptionalism in beer, a thing you don't actually drink?

I didn't mean to seem uppity. I was going for 'dumbfounded.'

I don't think you know as much as you claim you do about America's beer scene.
http://www.cnbc.com/2014/02/26/rewery-revolution-heats-up.html

Craft beers are beating the macro breweries and the "light beer" garbage they sale and have been. That article is from 2014. It's even bigger in 2017.

War the word can mean competition not just this term you're trying to associate with bloodshed and people dying. There's always been competition between the beer scenes. For how many decades have Europeans claimed American beer is nothing but trash?

A lot of those years and years of brewing the same beer has removed any chance of experimentation.

I've drank my fair share of beer and considered brewing my own at one point. I don't drink beer any longer. Simply not interested it in anymore. That doesn't mean I don't understand or have knowledge on this topic.

Futureman

Is Sol considered a Mexican light lager? My GF and I will sometimes Dos Equis summer variety pack if we don't want IPA/sour beer/craft whatever.

Beer marketing is pretty damn funny...

"SOL IS THE AUTHENTIC MEXICAN BEER THAT BELIEVES IN FREEDOM AND INDEPENDENCE AND CELEBRATES THOSE WHO WANT TO BE TRUE TO THEMSELVES, BECAUSE ONLY BY BEING TRUE TO YOURSELF, CAN YOU BE ESPIRITU LIBRE."

DavidDesu

Don't get this notion that the cloudier and more full of flavour a beer is the better. Most people just like something pretty crisp and clean. This IPA craft beer thing has like everything else, gotten a bit out of hand. Fuck it who cares if you enjoy cheaper "plainer" beer. Most people do still drink alcohol specifically to get drunk, don't kid yourselves, so when you can do it cheaper and for longer (these craftier beers can be hard to drink all night long) then why not!?

Spuck-uk

Banned

It's baffling, Corona is terrible beer and costs a premium. Get a Negra Modelo instead if you're going to get a mexi-lager

Spuck-uk

Banned
Beer tribalism in full effect. For some reason people have trouble admitting that there is amazing beer available in all corners of the world. Sure, plebs drink macrocrap, but so many others do not.

Yeah, this. Theres always an American comes barging in to blubber BIGGEST AND BEST!!! USA! though.

(Most of ye are fine, like, and yes you make some very nice beer.)

snap0212

Name a light lager you can find at the grocery store.
I can't think of one. There's no such thing as a light lager here in Germany. I cannot find a useful translation either, but I know for sure that none of the 25+ beers at my local supermarket taste anything like those two I mentioned (the only ones I know, to be fair). That's why I'm asking for an example.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Is Sol considered a Mexican light lager? My GF and I will sometimes Dos Equis summer variety pack if we don't want IPA/sour beer/craft whatever.

Beer marketing is pretty damn funny...

"SOL IS THE AUTHENTIC MEXICAN BEER THAT BELIEVES IN FREEDOM AND INDEPENDENCE AND CELEBRATES THOSE WHO WANT TO BE TRUE TO THEMSELVES, BECAUSE ONLY BY BEING TRUE TO YOURSELF, CAN YOU BE ESPIRITU LIBRE."

Sol is 100% a mexican light lager, it was the first one to really gain any traction over here in UK-land.

Personally I'll take a German or Czech pilsner or (king of easy drinking amazing beers) a kolsch.

snap0212

Sol is 100% a mexican light lager, it was the first one to really gain any traction over here in UK-land.

Personally I'll take a German or Czech pilsner or (king of easy drinking amazing beers) a kolsch.
Kölsch is served in super small glasses, though. Who is this 0.2 liters glass for?!?! That's like one sip.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Ucchedavāda;243071829 said:
I completely agree.

But if you are going to make that argument, then you should at least get your facts straight.

Overall you can ignore the opinions of anyone who says country X is untouchable #1 at beer, especially if they're from that country.

I'm glad Americans can get nice beer at last. Thanks for breeding mutant hops as well, we're enjoying those.

Raven117

I do love me some Mexican lagers...

Pacifico or Negro Modelo for me.

Deep Ellum Brewery does a Neto Bandito Mexican lager and its also quite tasty.

Starviper

It's a cheap option if you're at a bar. If you go with a craft beer, you're generally paying a premium anywhere from 2-4$ extra over one of the commodity beers. Generally i'll drink craft beers but that's because I like the flavor or the higher percentage per drink. If i'm trying to save some $$$ i'll go with the standard stuff.

In addition, you can usually get the light beers at any grocery store. In my state, you gotta go to a liquor store for anything over 5.6% or whatever it is.

I'm not making fun of American beers...I'm asking why Americans love light beers when they have so much better options available to them.

I'm American by the way and it's a shame that most people would rather drink Bud Light and probably haven't even heard of Sierra Nevada

Because beer sucks so just give me the thing that is cheapest and tastes the most like water and is going to get be buzzed.

McBryBry

1) its cheap as all hell

2) you can get crunk

3) on a hot day, maybe doing yard work, its REALLY refreshing. I love wheat ales but there are few things better than a light beer when its hot as hell.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Because beer sucks so just give me the thing that is cheapest and tastes the most like water and is going to get be buzzed.

Have you considered drinking something else, if you don't like beer?

Spirits are cheaper and will fuck you up far faster and harder. Just dome half a bottle of Everclear or something.

Have you considered drinking something else, if you don't like beer?

Spirits are cheaper and will fuck you up far faster and harder. Just dome half a bottle of Everclear or something.

No I'm def more of a whisky/scotch person these days. Just never been into the whole craft beer thing. I get that some people genuninelu like it, I just have no taste for it. They all taste fucking awful to me and make me feel bloated before I even catch a buzz.

andycapps

For me it was more because every time anyone makes an "America has a great craft beer scene" post, it seems to be exclusively mentioning IPAs. Its good to hear that's not the case

I guess the US went through a phase where people discovered beers could be hoppy, so they went for all the hops briefly before things matured a bit?

They're definitely more popular than they should be. They can be nice on a hot day or when eating spicy food. There are quite a bit more varieties that are made than IPA's, but as I mentioned before in this thread, I don't get into IPAs as much as most do. Some are good if they're more complex than just an abundance of hops. I prefer darker beers that are doing something different whether barrel aged, etc.

snap0212

Try white wine then! :)There's white wine that basically tastes like Sprite. It's called Eiswein here, no idea what you'd have to look for in the US. Can't recommend wine enough. The part of Germany where I'm at, wine is more popular than beer so it's what most people drink. Nothing better than meeting up with friends, sitting by the river and drinking wine.

I just don't understand this whole 'Miller Lite' is easier to get drunk? I can drink a 6 pack and still be good, but give me a couple of Stone Ruination IPAs and I'm wasted. I can't actually remember the last time light beer got me drunk. If you want to get drunk fast you are doing it the wrong way. I thought the whole purpose of light beer (and most beer around 4% range) was the ability to drink longer without getting too drunk.

I just don't understand this whole 'Miller Lite' is easier to get drunk? I can drink a 6 pack and still be good, but give me a couple of Stone Ruination IPAs and I'm wasted. I can't actually remember the last time light beer got me drunk. If you want to get drunk fast you are doing it the wrong way. I thought the whole purpose of light beer (and most beer around 4% range) was the ability to drink longer without getting too drunk.

I think it's the speed that you can pound them. Light beers go down easy, whereas some beers are more of a sipping beer.

Jules

Neo Member
//http://www.kentuckyale.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/2016-10/KYAle-Bottle_0.png?itok=RPXQnMm9

I'm normally a light beer drinker, because carbs, but Kentucky Ale is my go to if wherever I am has it. It's 5.3%. The bourbon barrel ale is really tasty as well, but can be dangerous considering it's 8.2% and goes down wayyyy too smooth sometimes!

Top Bottom