• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Americans love light beers?

No. Article is from 2014. We have over 5000 breweries in the US now.

The beer war is being won by America and it's not even close at the moment. No one does beer better right now.
This is the kind of arrogance that can only come from people who have lived their lives with shitty beer, taste one or two decent ones and think they're all fancy now.

Also, 'beer war', this is a uniquely weird way of seeing the creation of beer. 'War.' Jesus fucking Christ dude.

I import a lot of American beers, I like a good few of them, but fucking Hell this post.

Ugh, BrewDog: a cheap and nasty attempt to respond to the growing trend of imported US IPAs in the UK.
Ah Hobgoblin, the only thing worse than their cringe advertising is their mediocre at best beer.

I mean Brewdog are obnoxious, but at least they make some excellent beers.
This is beginning to remind me of that episode of Community where, on the eve of Tory's 21st birthday, the gang argues relentlessly about what bars are shit and what kinds of alcohol are shit before Troy eventually just realises everyone is full of shit.

Dougald

I'm not sure why everyone makes the American craft scene out to be so IPA-heavy. That may have been true when it was getting going, but I've lived in NC, Chicago and Austin over the past decade and see just as many amazing local barleywines, barrel-aged stouts, hefes and wits, sours, saisons, etc.

Seems like it's just as much of a meme now as "America only has shit beer like Bud/Coors".

Maybe it's a regional thing? PNW and/or NE? 2 areas I haven't lived in.

For me it was more because every time anyone makes an "America has a great craft beer scene" post, it seems to be exclusively mentioning IPAs. Its good to hear that's not the case

I guess the US went through a phase where people discovered beers could be hoppy, so they went for all the hops briefly before things matured a bit?

Americans like all beer and the best beer in the world is made in the United States.

But, if you're wondering why the 'American extra light lager' (Bud Light, etc) is popular in the US, it' has a lot to do with immigration, prohibition, World War II, post-war recovery.

This is the kind of arrogance that can only come from people who have lived their lives with shitty beer, taste one or two decent ones and think they're all fancy now.

Also, 'beer war', this is a uniquely weird way of seeing the creation of beer. 'War.' Jesus fucking Christ dude.

I import a lot of American beers, I like a good few of them, but fucking Hell this post.

'Beer War' is very stupid, but this post is a reaction to the continued idiocy that you see from just about everybody when talking about 'American Beer.' Anytime any thread comes up about 'Americans beer tastes' or 'American beer,' it's about 30 years out of date and completely dead wrong. Americans (or simply beer lovers) being proud of the beer being brewed in America is a reaction to that out of date ignorance.

Dougald

But, if you're wondering why the 'American extra light lager' (Bud Light, etc) is popular in the US, it' has a lot to do with immigration, prohibition, World War II, post-war recovery.

Its similar to the "British food is shit" trope, really

Wasn't the first thing to be decriminalised after prohibition beer with a relatively low alcohol content?

For me it was more because every time anyone makes an "America has a great craft beer scene" post, it seems to be exclusively mentioning IPAs. Its good to hear that's not the case

I guess the US went through a phase where people discovered beers could be hoppy, so they went for all the hops briefly before things matured a bit?

That's a pretty fair way to put it. I really like craft beers but I hate IPAs, so I've been happy with the craft beer scene around here (VA) in the last few years. I'm more a fan of wits and blondes; hardywood and port city have some great beers.

It doesn't taste bad. It tastes almost literally like carbonated water. And it's not as filling as full calorie beer.

Exactly, there are many lagers that actually have a horrible taste and gives you a horrible aftertaste in the mouth. These does not.

lyrick

The answer is because of the notion of Daily Drivers. We keep the roadster in garage until we can enjoy the ride. For daily commutes we drive the compact coupe/sedan/small SUV simply out of convenience.

We drink the good stuff when an occasion to do so presents itself. We drink the cheap light beers en mass because they're cheap and the availability is there.

It's also a fuck of a lot easier to kegstand/beerbong/shotgun a light beer than it is do so with most crafts or micros.

#notallamericans. Great beer cultures in northeast, bay area, and Pacific Northwest.

Also light beer is also popular in Latin America and Asia.

It's refreshing I guess, usually drank alongside food.
Cheaper too

Ahem, excuse moi?

Atlanta/GA has one of the best craft beer scenes in the country, if not the world.

Sweetwater = Godlike
Terrapin = Godlike
Jekyll Island = Godlike
Red Brick Brewing = Godlike
5 Seasons = Godlike
Hop Alley = Godlike

jfkgoblue

For real?

Drink this one. Then come back here.

Never had a light beer. I don't know how a beer can be light.
I've had super bock while in Lisbon, it really doesn't taste all that different than bud light, and nothing like our craft brews.

I'll drink bud light normally cuz fuck paying $10 for a 6 pack craft brew when I can get a 12 pack of bud light for the same price.

Side note: I am from Michigan, so there is no shortage of craft brews here.

kingslunk

One I don't drink beer. Second 'War' has been used for dumb arguments for ages. Sorry for insulting you. Console wars etc etc. Craft beer vs Microbreweries is a real thing atm. Try not to get so uppity over a word wow.

European beer is way better.

Americans are adorable.

It took Europeans 30 years to recognize that great wine could be made outside of Europe, and likewise, it's just taking a long time to recognize that great beer is made outside of Europe. I love many great European beers (and with family living in Brussels, Italy, Germany, and Ireland I often have a chance to enjoy great European beer), but the ignorant stigma that America has bad beer is just so out of date it's laughable.

That North Americans are now proud of North American beer and evangelizing it is because so many people are uninformed, and it takes evangelizing to eventually get people to grasp reality.

Yeah, a lot of people mention IPAs because for about a decade, it's been the top selling craft beer style in the world. Most small brewers feel hobbled because they often have to have a "premier American IPA" to stay afloat in their first couple of years. This has started to change over the last 2 or 3 years, but it's still generally true that without an American-style IPA, it can be difficult for small brewers to turn consistent profit.

But, that said, there is remarkable variety in craft beer simply because you have thousands and thousands of craft breweries. The number gets thrown out that there's 5,000 craft breweries, but there's likely much more than that, probably close to 7,000 officially open, pouring breweries, and then likely a thousand or more that don't have license to sell but can be served privately and at private functions (ticketed events).

The American IPA isn't going to be unseated as the king of craft beer stateside anytime soon, but there is so much variety, and many brewers keep on an IPA just because it's their most profitable beer, but they usually put their love into something else. But, even within that particular beer, there is so much variety in the category of 'American IPAs.' Your West Coast IPA is still very typically a malty, high hop, continentally hopped, typically strong, high gravity beer, but the East Coast IPA has become the low alcohol, tropical hop, low malt, 'juice' variety of the last 2 years, and there's maybe a dozen deviations across the continent just in those two distinct styles. While 10 years ago I loved that west coast style IPA (Stone, Green Flash, Sierra Nevada, etc), I really don't find them palatable anymore because I've been so used to drinking the East coast / north East / session variant that in a lot of cases I'd rather drink an 'extra pale lager' over your typical west coast IPA high malt, hop extreme beers.

Malvolio

Beer tribalism in full effect. For some reason people have trouble admitting that there is amazing beer available in all corners of the world. Sure, plebs drink macrocrap, but so many others do not.

Chozoman

Banned
Why do Brits like warm beer?

Could it be, just maybe, because different tastes and preferences evolve in various geographic areas? Maybe? Probably not.

FYI, I'm American and I hate light beer.

snap0212

Also: This thread is also literally the first time I've ever seen anyone using the word calories when talking about beer.

Same with the price argument. Never heard that before. Beer is between five and 20 euros for a crate here. Crates ftw!

51IR7SciZNL.jpg

fuzzyset

It took Europeans 30 years to recognize that great wine could be made outside of Europe, and likewise, it's just taking a long time to recognize that great beer is made outside of Europe. I love many great European beers (and with family living in Brussels, Italy, Germany, and Ireland I often have a chance to enjoy great European beer), but the ignorant stigma that America has bad beer is just so out of date it's laughable.

That North Americans are now proud of North American beer and evangelizing it is because so many people are uninformed, and it takes evangelizing to eventually get people to grasp reality.

I was surprised at the lack of beer selection on a recent trip to Ireland. It was all Guinness, Murphys, Carlsbad, and Heineken; not exactly an all-star line up of beer IMO. I did manage to get a nice craft beer in Galway: a Founders IPA. My only other trip to Europe was London, but I can't remember if the situation was the same there.

Greddleok

It took Europeans 30 years to recognize that great wine could be made outside of Europe, and likewise, it's just taking a long time to recognize that great beer is made outside of Europe.

You guys can be so sensitive about it. I never said there's no good, or even great American beer. However, a statement like "the best beer in the world is made in the US" is far too strong.
You guys make some good stuff, but it doesn't live up to what can be found in Belgium.

Arials

This isn't exclusive to America. The top selling beer in Belgium is Jupiler, a mass produced adjunct lager. Whether the label says light or not, adjunct lagers are mostly low ABV and flavorless.

Jupiler is 5.2% alcohol it's not low ABV like the "light beers" mentioned in OP which are all 4.2%.

Raven117

You guys can be so sensitive about it. I never said there's no good, or even great American beer. However, a statement like "the best beer in the world is made in the US" is far too strong.
You guys make some good stuff, but it doesn't live up to what can be found in Belgium.

Unless you don't like Belgium style beer. (Its very specific).

The world drinks light lagers. Its the peoples beer. And no matter how many beard growing, horn-rimmed glassed wearing, over-hopped loving hipsters tell you otherwise, to ignore light lagers is to ignore what makes beer great to begin with. One of the reasons beer is great is for the commonality of it.

For me, I'll keep my snobbery for wine and some scotch . . . for beer, give me quantity, give me easy to drink, and give me a room full of strangers that can all immediately connect through laughter and and the baseline of the human experience.

I mean, when there are 10 threads a day bashing 'insert thing here' about us, you have to expect a lil defense now and then.

Anyhoo just by the virtue of sheer numbers, it's statistically unlikely Belgium is pushing out better stuff. Maybe it's a belgian guy that emigrated to the US a generation ago that's doing it at one of our 5k shops, who knows; either way we probably win.

Arials

I was surprised at the lack of beer selection on a recent trip to Ireland. It was all Guinness, Murphys, Carlsbad, and Heineken; not exactly an all-star line up of beer IMO. I did manage to get a nice craft beer in Galway: a Founders IPA. My only other trip to Europe was London, but I can't remember if the situation was the same there.

This just sounds like you went to the wrong pubs. If you pick somewhere random in the middle of town don't be surprised if you end up in a tourist trap bar selling you overpriced mass market crap.

Pastry

Banned
It's hot as shit here in Texas in the summer and I have a hard time drinking anything other than light beer when I'm out in the heat.

milanbaros

Member?
Americans like all beer and the best beer in the world is made in the United States.

'Beer War' is very stupid, but this post is a reaction to the continued idiocy that you see from just about everybody when talking about 'American Beer.' Anytime any thread comes up about 'Americans beer tastes' or 'American beer,' it's about 30 years out of date and completely dead wrong. Americans (or simply beer lovers) being proud of the beer being brewed in America is a reaction to that out of date ignorance.

It sounds comically defensive to me. The way posters here are saying America makes the best beer, the best beer is here shows a real lack of understanding of subjectivity. There is a poster claiming 'statistically we have the best beer'??? There is no such thing as the best beer!

For example, what are the top 5 selling beers in the US? This should give a good indication of what the populace enjoys and the tastes of a nation. Based on the above comments it would just be IPA but I understand from others that there is a bit of variety now.

For example, what are the top 5 selling beers in the US? This should give a good indication of what the populace enjoys and the tastes of a nation. Based on the above comments it would just be IPA but I understand from others that there is a bit of variety now.

This would be a better example (by state). The country is simply too big to make it viable for many smaller craft brewers to get distribution cross-country.

Maedre

Banned
Also: This thread is also literally the first time I've ever seen anyone using the word calories when talking about beer.

Same with the price argument. Never heard that before. Beer is between five and 20 euros for a crate here. Crates ftw!

51IR7SciZNL.jpg
Det jute Augustiner Edelstoff!

tokkun

It sounds comically defensive to me.

It's because the same moronic post shows up in every beer thread; the only difference is that someone did a preemptive refutation this time.

The way posters here are saying America makes the best beer, the best beer is here shows a real lack of understanding of subjectivity.

I don't think that argument is based on comparing the quality of one beer to another. It is based on the huge amount of options and variety. Not only can you easily find good examples of every style, there is a big culture of creativity and experimentation in the US. It may not matter if you are someone who just picks a favorite beer and only drinks that, but it is valuable for people who are interested in novelty.

I understand from others that there is a bit of variety now.

"A bit of variety"? Is there any country that has greater variety than the US?

____

They're cheap and get you fucked up.

I can't do the craft beers anymore. They're so heavy they're like fucking meal replacements.

Perhaps. A vast percentage of your beer that's sold is light beer though, surely? I say surely, the numbers exist to confirm this.

The better your craft scene is, the more perplexing this is to outsiders.

But there is also a large difference between pride and arrogance. I know that maybe sometimes in the US this is blurred because many of us are more 'disassociated' from our nation and her accomplishments so the reactionary opine of 'we're winning a war' is a rather bad look.

American beers are very good and they're injecting new life and styles into an old craft but when there's a swaggering arrogance associated with becoming competent in something many European breweries have had hundreds of years experience with its sure to be a turn-off for some.

Though to be fair, so is this:

One I don't drink beer. Second 'War' has been used for dumb arguments for ages. Sorry for insulting you. Console wars etc etc. Craft beer vs Microbreweries is a real thing atm. Try not to get so uppity over a word wow.
I mean, I think people that would say 'Sony is winning a war' or 'Microsoft is winning a war' were pretty stupid too even though the precedent has been set.

But okay, so, then its what? Some jingoism about American exceptionalism in beer, a thing you don't actually drink?

I didn't mean to seem uppity. I was going for 'dumbfounded.'

Doesn't that kind of reduce the positive impact of having 5,000 brewers though?

I don't necessarily disagree. The beer connoisseurs (who are the only ones who would give a shit anyway) tend to find a way to sniff out the good stuff, though.

I'll admit even in my small area (so. NH) there are probably a dozen(s) breweries that don't even seem to sell their beer (outside of their brewery).

Futureman

Because they pair well with smoked meats when it is 100+ degrees outside

I don't understand why this is such a prevalent opinion in this thread.

"It's hot out so I NEED a Miller Lite!"

I'd rather drink a good beer when I'm outside and it's hot. Not sure why it being hot out has anything to do with it.

To me it's only 3 things when it comes to American Lite beers...

-Cheaper
-Easier to get drunk with
-calories

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Fewer calories, son! It's not my favorite beer, but on a hot summer day you can kick back with a few of them and not worry about your beer belly too much. On any other day I prefer an IPA, or something richer. Also, American tastes are changing - as are the amount of options. Go into almost any grocery store in America now and you will have your selection of a hundred different options from your typical beers, craft beers from around the Nation, and locally made ones as well. Now is a great time to be a beer drinker. You can always find something new and interesting.

Why North Westerners like hoppy beer? It's over bearing and takes a lot of the fun out of drinking.

We live amongst the pine trees and evergreens. We like our beer as bitter and unwelcoming as our neighbors.

Arials

I don't understand why this is such a prevalent opinion in this thread.

"It's hot out so I NEED a Miller Lite!"

I'd rather drink a good beer when I'm outside and it's hot. Not sure why it being hot out has anything to do with it.

Americans don't seem to know what cider is either. A great summer drink.

So much for the tolerant Americans.

Fewer calories, son! It's not my favorite beer, but on a hot summer day you can kick back with a few of them and not worry about your beer belly too much. On any other day I prefer an IPA, or something richer. Also, American tastes are changing - as are the amount of options. Go into almost any grocery store in America now and you will have your selection of a hundred different options from your typical beers, craft beers from around the Nation, and locally made ones as well. Now is a great time to be a beer drinker. You can always find something new and interesting.

We live amongst the pine trees and evergreens. We like our beer as bitter and unwelcoming as our neighbors.

I do love that you can go into a for example Walgreens in the US and find all sorts of beers, that's also COLD. So you dont have to buy the beer, go home, put it in the fridge/freezer and wait for it to cool. You cannot do that in Sweden. The cold beer that is sold in stores here are mostly junk and is below 4% ABV

Top Bottom