• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Americans love light beers?

I think it's the "you can drink more without getting drunk as fuck". It 100% that reason for highschool and college age students at the very least

Qvoth

how do you define a light beer anyway?
things like pilsner and lager that are light coloured?
or just alcohol content?

personally if i see some strange beer that i've never heard of that's usually the one i'll try
love craft beers

I mean, trump is president.

I guarantee there is a strong correlation between light beer purchasers and trump voters.
First post I've read in the thread and it brings Trump into a completely unrelated topic. Stay classy gaf

On a seperate note, the beer you have as your avatar is my favorite beer logo of all time. But I'll be damned if Delerium [whatever their signature beer] isn't one of the worst beers I've ever had. Spend a fortune on a 6 pack of that shit and it tastes like someone threw some white wine in a lager.

mcrommert

Banned
As a belgian, I will fite u for that final sentence m8

Americans took this amazing beer the British developed when they colonized india: the ipa and then forgot about. We then took the amazing hops that grow in the northwest like cascade hops and turned the beer up to 11. Never been a more flavorful or satisfying beer.

Belgium can have number 2

I drink light beers but yeah the craft scene is huge in the US. You don't see it on tv but driving around I see microbreweries in old ass buildings.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Americans took this amazing beer the British developed when they colonized india: the ipa and then forgot about. We then took the amazing hops that grow in the northwest like cascade hops and turned the beer up to 11. Never been a more flavorful or satisfying beer.

Belgium can have number 2

At no time did Britain stop making or drinking IPA because it is the Johnny Garlic of beers. Basically the strongest possible ratio of flavor to liquid and that's why old men drink it in Scottish pubs, because even their deadened taste buds can detect its sledgehammer subtlety.

I was born and raised in a city famous for brewing IPA and I lived on Westfield st right next to the buildings where they stored barrel after barrel of that rank shit. You're welcome to it.

I hope this boring exaggerated fad ends soon and American craft brewers turn their talent to dubbels, triples, quads or even decent lagers.

"I had an IPA called Hopstrocity and it was just a bag of hops sprayed with after shave. It tasted of strong hops! Amazing!"

At no time did Britain stop making or drinking IPA because it is the Johnny Garlic of beers. Basically the strongest possible ratio of flavor to liquid and that's why old men drink it in Scottish pubs, because even their deadened taste buds can detect its sledgehammer subtlety.

I was born and raised in a city famous for brewing IPA and I lived on Westfield st right next to the buildings where they stored barrel after barrel of that rank shit. You're welcome to it.

I hope this boring exaggerated fad ends soon and American craft brewers turn their talent to dubbels, triples, quads or even decent lagers.

"I had an IPA called Hopstrocity and it was just a bag of hops sprayed with after shave. It tasted of strong hops! Amazing!"

No relation to the thread I just wanted to tell you that the bolded is inspired, rolled right off my inner voice tongue.

riotous

Banned

You always say this; and I always tell you there are literally 100s of non-IPA beers made by our local craft brewers here let alone nationwide that distribute here... and you always ignore me. Rinse, repeat.

You always say this; and I always tell you there are literally 100s of non-IPA beers made by our local craft brewers here let alone nationwide that distribute here... and you always ignore me. Rinse, repeat.

More stouts more stouts. Sure but IPAs are trendy and so that's what people masturbate to. It is pretty annoying in that regard.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I know there are. I'm only complaining about the majority currently being IPAs. There's no lack of talent.

Also I am a bot. My script responds to IPA strings.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I don't know why but I read the thread title as "Why do Americans love lightsabers?"

AlexBasch

I'm not American,but maybe it's because I like the taste of them?

Never understood the whole "why you sip that water son drink real beer like a man" thing.

Shit, mind your own business, I drink because I like how it tastes, not to get drunk. Miller Lite and Dos Equis Lager are my favourites and I really don't care if they're light or whatever.

HiiiLife

I'm not American,but maybe it's because I like the taste of them?

Never understood the whole "why you sip that water son drink real beer like a man" thing.

Shit, mind your own business, I drink because I like how it tastes, not to get drunk. Miller Lite and Dos Equis Lager are my favourites and I really don't care if they're light or whatever.

People are snobs in everything. Sports, music, food, etc. it's sad really lol.

There's a time and a place for light beers. I've found very few that I thought had much in the way of flavour, though.

But hey, beer snobs need to basically realise that lagers are by far the most popular beers in the world for a reason. Most people don't want their beer to have too much flavour.

I'm a craft beer aficionado but I'll drink Pabst Blue Ribbon anytime.

My man. Triple IPAs, pilsners, light pilsners, stouts, porters...it's all good.

Variety is a great thing. I think a lot of people hate light pilsners because that used to be all you could get in the states. Well, that's just not true anymore.

rrs

Cheap, won't leave you thirsty, and one step up from malt liquor hell.
I don't drink as it leaves me even more of a bitter, miserable person than I already am

D i Z

Advertised for the calories count. Did wonders for sales and makes it a go to for a lot of casual drinkers.

Toxi

Banned
Colorado has over 300 breweries. We've got a pretty good range of stuff just in-state.

I personally adore stouts and porters.

EYEL1NER

I drink light beer over other beer because I don't like the taste of other beers. I can't even put up with drinking a Guinness without wanting to chase it with a soda or something. I don't need sweet bubbly wine-coolers or anything like that but I just don't particularly like dark beers.
I don't think light beers really taste good but they don't taste like much of anything and are easy to drink. I'm not ashamed of it; I just don't have a taste for most beers. If I'm going to drink at all, it's probably to get drunk, so I'll pick a light beer that I can handle easily.

UrokeJoe

I like my beer shaken like it has been the last uh...10-15yrs with some accelerant. The craft beer movement has shaken everything up. Now they are getting bought up.

Anyways laughing at American beer is a really old joke.

Why are Germans obsessed with drinking boardline sludge beer that's so thick it counts as a meal?

Just an example. They love it too. It's what they like. Who cares why people prefer light or heavy beers?

But for the record the world loves light beer the most. For logical reasons too : cheap , doesn't get you wasted fast and some people prefer the taste.

It's weird how people question tastes when they are so subjective. You just like what you like and that's really it.

kess

Even the adjunct light beer scene is pretty lame compared to what it used to be. Piels, Black Label, Olympia, and Ballantine's are contract brewed, Schmidt's, Ortlieb, and Koch's are long gone, Genesee and Lion are owned by Russians or private equity firms...

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Sometimes you want beer with your burger and not water. And sometimes you want water with your burger and not beer.

This is where bud light comes in handy.

i could give many other reasons, but one is enough for your plebe non-american ass

MaulerX

The craft beer scene here in the US is so intense that people argue over witch town has the better beer. Lol

SpaceHorror

I love craft beer and drink it pretty often, especially at the bar on draft.

That said, there is nothing like a cooling off on a hot summer night with a Coors Light or something similar. Super refreshing and tastes fine to me, though obviously not as good as most craft beers.

The low calories, cheap price, and going to bed with a buzz are bonuses.

I can't stand the taste of light beer but if I'm at a gathering or a party and there isn't anything else to drink? Hell yeah I'll drink it, probably even chug it down to get to a buzz faster.

But there is nothing wrong with people who likes light beer and people who don't like it. People drink what they want to drink, I guess.

I can also attest to how wonderful and refreshing it is to have one or two light beers during a hot summer day.

Hoo-doo

Banned
We call it festival-beer over here. Watered down and cheap.

I don't care much for it myself. The calories of the amount of beer I drink are not an issue.

FUME5

When I was at Uni I helped an American exchange student move houses.

She bought me a carton of light beer as thanks.

The look on my face, she couldn't have insulted me more if she'd tried.

Has anyone told OP that Sierra Nevada is still just wading in the shallow end of the beer pool?

I'll drink light beers because if I always drank heavier beers my belly would not thank me.

Eusis

It has the best calorie to alcohol content ratio for beer. At least that's why people in southern California drink it, to preserve their beach bodies and not bloat. It's like drinking water and beer at the same time. So hard to get a good craft beer when I visit.
I swear San Diego County at least is damn good for finding craft beers and I think is one of the hottest spots for them. Maybe we just have fewer prominent beer stores?

And it honestly does surprise me that more drink Bud Light... than Budweiser. I'd think there'd be a significant group of people who go "I'm not touching that diet shit I'm sticking with the real thing" but either not that many care, marketing really outweighs that (I don't think they even lean on that aspect anymore), and/or the usual culprits for why people would shun the light version don't apply here, as it's more watered down than anything else (and maybe not even that much!) while a diet soda will have artificial sweeteners that you can't stand.

balohna

What's weird to me is that here in Canada we probably have some stuff that counts as "light" (we even literally have some of the American beers with the "light" name intact), but very few beers unique to Canada have the word "light" in the name. I wonder why it is that that became the buzzword for mass market beer in the US. I think of light in terms of soft drinks and food items - lower calorie version that's compromised in some way vs. the original. Doesn't seem super appealing in a beer to me.

American food and drink companies are PEERLESS at getting people to eat and drink whatever garbage they're peddling. Bud, Miller et al. selling people on essentially flavored water is proof of this.

Dougald

Because they love all their drinks ice cold, and light beer is pretty refreshing this way. I like real ale but on a hot summer day I wouldn't turn down a nice cold miller light or something.

It's also why as an outsider, all the Americans who like "real" beer seem to be obsessed with incredibly hoppy IPAs, because when you drink it ice cold your tastebuds get obliterated

Top Bottom