• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Americans love light beers?

mhayes86

Can't stand them, but I understand the appeal. I might have a couple with my brother on a hot day while cooking out, but I much prefer heavier ones. I like to chew my beer.

People just can't help themselves from looking down on others regarding their taste in beers. Get over yourselves, nobody's impressed.

The same can be said of pretty much anything, but it's especially bad when it comes to booze and food. People are pretty pretentious.

RulkezX

Yeah I was gonna say he's kind of right. The brewery scene has exploded like a fucking supernova in every major American city in the last decade or so.

There are literally 25+ breweries (most of them very good) within walking distance of my house in northeast Minneapolis. Much the same in every other city.

Isn't this just a Western thing though ? Its the same in the UK. Small breweries are opposing everywhere selling small batch Gin or craft beer because the internet etc makes these things financially feasible now. Even our big supermarkets are dedicating aisles to locally produced small batch craft beers/spirits etc.

Rival

Gold Member
People like it because it gets them drunk cheaply. Not everyone who drinks wants to drink $10 or more / 6 pack craft beers.

that's not it. you can get much more drunk for the same amount of money if you buy non light cheep beer.

light beer isn't inherently cheeper.

qcf x2

It's mass produced because it's cheap to make. Because it's mass produced, it gets the bulk of advertisement from beer companies, who market it as low calorie & without a strong flavor. Cheap + low calorie + mild taste = $$$. Not hard to understand, at all.

And don't forget brand familiarity. You know what Bud Light tastes like, for better or for worse. You don't know what that craft beer someone just talked about on NeoGAF tastes like until you buy it.

ZOONAMI

You never had beer with currant either? Might be too sweet for some but it's great when really cold.

Not saying it is the best but I'm comparing it basically to light beers - those largely available type of beers that everyone drinks?! Super Bock is the standard here, not light beers.

And it's a damn good beer for what it costs. Compared to shit Sagres, Tagus, Crystal.

A regular coors or budweiser I would imagine are nearly as prevent as their light cousins, and honestly aren't bad at all.

Coors and your super bock are nearly identical on beer advocate.

Also, America is fairly regional as well. A summit pale ale is super popular in Minnesota, and kicks that super bocks ass up and down the floor. Goose island in Chicago, lagunitas in California, etc etc same deal.

He's right though. I've yet to see anyone come up with a rebuttal. A lot of foreigners just assume we make shitty beer because that's the funny meme they're used to. But anyone who actually knows anything about beer knows that over the past five years, the US has become a leader in the craft beer scene.

I'm from Vancouver and haven't had a lot of American craft beer but I've no doubt you're right.

Especially because when people talk about how shitty American beer is compared to their precious imports, they bring up beers like Heineken and Stella. Not as bad as Coors Light maybe, but I don't know why you'd use generic lagers with when talking about your country's beer.

120v

not sticking with lite beer will leave you pretty bloated unless you're the type who only has a few beers a week

especially if you're not college age or just have an average metabolism, you'll be needing that deficit in calories and carbs

ZOONAMI

that's not it. you can get much more drunk for the same amount of money if you buy non light cheep beer.

light beer isn't inherently cheeper.

It's not necessarily about getting drunk, it's about buying a 24pk or 2 and being able to host your buds cheaply.

Yeah if you wanna just get yourself drunk by a 6 pack of 7% abv ipa and get ripped for $10 or so.

I love the hoppiest of IPAs. I'd drink a pine tree if I could.

However, nothing wrong with a Miller Lite on a hot day at a BBQ or baseball game.

In any event, as long as you're not drinking a Stella aka the worst beer of all time, you're good.

A regular coors or budweiser I would imagine are nearly as prevent as their light cousins, and honestly aren't bad at all.

Coors and your super bock are nearly identical on beer advocate.

Also, America is fairly regional as well. A summit pale ale is super popular in Minnesota, and kicks that super bocks ass up and down the floor. Goose island in Chicago, lagunitas in California, etc etc same deal.
Budweiser has a good taste to it, I give you that. Super Bock has an aggressiveness to it that is not that usual on a regular beer. I don't know, I just like it - especially their new limited edition.

And about kicking super bock's ass... I won't say it isn't true but I won't say I believe you. It's all a matter of opinion.

Wood Man

I don't buy the stuff.

I had a Coors Light last X-Mas with my dad and it was like drinking cold piss diluted with water.

On the flip side he hates all the beers I drink.

Mr_Moogle

American taste in beer is something I'll never understand. All the popular beers there are watered down trash. It would be a real shitshow but the US has some pretty decent micro-breweries so you can find good beer if you're willing to pay a little more.

andycapps

Why North Westerners like hoppy beer? It's over bearing and takes a lot of the fun out of drinking.

It's the antithesis of what this thread is about so a lot of them try to overcompensate with beers where all you can taste are hops. For me, I prefer darker beers for the most part, though I do like some milder IPAs that have a bit more complexity other than just hops, hops, hops.

American taste in beer is something I'll never understand. All the popular beers there are watered down trash. It would be a real shitshow but the US has some pretty decent micro-breweries so you can find good beer if you're willing to pay a little more.

There's literally hundreds of really, really good microbreweries here. We have the best beer in the world.

ZOONAMI

On a regional level they aren't even micro. Lagunitas is huge, summit is huge, surly is huge, goose Island is huge, Avery is huge, Brooklyn is huge, new Glarus is huge, etc.

Not everyone is just drinking light lagers all the time.

old

Outdoors at a concert or sporting event. 95 degrees and humid as hell. Sweating balls off. Perfect drink is an ice cold light beer. It's alcoholic ice water. It's perfect.

Comfortably sitting in pub. Room temperature Guinness. Can sip on a pint all night.

On a regional level they aren't even micro. Lagunitas is huge, summit is huge, surly is huge, goose Island is huge, Avery is huge, Brooklyn is huge, new Glarus is huge, etc.

Not everyone is just drinking light lagers all the time.

aww shout out to New Glarus. Literally the only thing I miss about living in Wisconsin.

Carn82

For real?

Drink this one. Then come back here.

Never had a light beer. I don't know how a beer can be light.

Lol, actually drinking right one now in Lisbon. It's a decent pilsner, but nothing special. Most pilsners and lagers are samey in my opinion (and to be honest, I drink a lot of stuff). One of my favorites is the Augustiner Helles Lagerbier, just has a great mix of tastes to it while not being overpowering (for a lager). When I'm out I usually drink Jupilers or (dutch) Hertog Jan. Never cared much for Heineken, too bland for my taste. I guess Amstel is even worse. When at home I usually go for heavy imperial stouts and porters. The Netherlands has a decent craft beer going on the past few years so a lot of great things to try.

Higgy

I love Bud Light. I love mixing it in V8 and adding some spicy or clausen pickles. Sue me you pumpkin flavor craft beer lovers!

Lol, actually drinking right one now in Lisbon. It's a decent pilsner, but nothing special. Most pilsners and lagers are samey in my opinion (and to be honest, I drink a lot of stuff). One of my favorites is the Augustiner Helles Lagerbier, just has a great mix of tastes to it while not being overpowering (for a lager). When I'm out I usually drink Jupilers or (dutch) Hertog Jan. Never cared much for Heineken, too bland for my taste. I guess Amstel is even worse. When at home I usually go for heavy imperial stouts and porters. The Netherlands has a decent craft beer going on the past few years so a lot of great things to try.
Again, people are taking as I'm saying that Super Bock is the shit. I'm basically comparing it to light beers that people so commonly drink.

I've had way better beers than Super Bock. In fact my favourites are basically stouts.

Aren't these beers super popular world wide? What are you on about?
http://money.cnn.com/gallery/news/2014/08/19/world-beer/3.html

It's like #3 of the list, And regular Bud is #4. They're beaten by a chinese beer that everybody on china drinks apparently.

Do we clap in your thread too?

That does show how popular they are worldwide. e.g several of the best selling beers are only available in China. Bud light has only recently be re-launched in the UK after a total failure 15years ago. I wouldnt imagine it sells well anywhere in Europe.

I apologized for being off topic, but what are good alcohol that are good for beginners? I had something called Verdi Green Apple Sparkletini Malt Beverage and found the flavor good with very small taste of alcohol. I then decided to try my friend's rum, but the alcohol taste was WAY too strong for me.

ZOONAMI

That does show how popular they are worldwide. e.g several of the best selling beers are only available in China. Bud light has only recently be re-launched in the UK after a total failure 15years ago. I wouldnt imagine it sells well anywhere in Europe.

Tsingtao is available in the US, and again it's an American adjunct lager. Might as well just drink a coors because it's cheaper, and actually better tasting.

Carn82

I apologized for being off topic, but what are good alcohol that are good for beginners? I had something called Verdi Green Apple Sparkletini Malt Beverage and found the flavor good with very small taste of alcohol. I then decided to try my friend's rum, but the alcohol taste was WAY too strong for me.

What kind of tastes do you like? If it's the fruits there are a lot of fruitbeers out there, just look for the ones with a low percentage and you'll probably be fine. But if beer isn't your thing and you do like more sweet and fruit based tastes, something like port might be worth looking into.

i dig bud light platinum bc i get full really quickly so it's easier for me to drink. also helps combat beer belly while still being a pretty high %

ZOONAMI

White wine?

A screwdriver is pretty easy. Just OJ and vodka.

Mojitos are delicious.

Most people don't really like beer at first but it sort of grows on you.

Tanis

This thread has blown my mind. Light beer in Australia means low alcohol content. I never knew there was an alternate definition.

I always a bit confused as to why "light" beer was so popular in America.

Top Bottom