• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Americans love light beers?

ZOONAMI

As a belgian, I will fite u for that final sentence m8

Yeah probably hundreds of breweries in the US have stuff that will blow your mind over your duvels and saisons and strong ales, etc. You guys have good stuff but nothing we haven't improved upon.

Fewer calories. A bit watered down. Meaning you can down a couple with the boys, some cold ones, if you will, and enjoy yourself. You won't drink two or three and be hammered.

That being said, I'm a Blue Moon guy myself.

Marketing.

Price makes no sense when there is cheap regular beer available. It's still shit, just not as shit.

Real beer is not expensive in America.

Cheech

Wait which is more popular in the US? Coors/Miller or Bud and its elk.

Miller Lite is the best tasting, Bud Light is the best selling due to ads.

Also, Miller Lite is 96 calories a can. Craft beer is like eating a candy bar per can. Pretty much the only reason I drink it.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
It has the best calorie to alcohol content ratio for beer. At least that's why people in southern California drink it, to preserve their beach bodies and not bloat. It's like drinking water and beer at the same time. So hard to get a good craft beer when I visit.

Currently drinking one of these
DarkSwan_12oz_web.png

ZOONAMI

Miller Lite is the best tasting, Bud Light is the best selling due to ads.

Also, Miller Lite is 96 calories a can. Craft beer is like eating a candy bar per can. Pretty much the only reason I drink it.

Coors light is infinitely better than Miller but to each their own.

ZOONAMI

It has the best calorie to alcohol content ratio for beer. At least that's why people in southern California drink it, to preserve their beach bodies and not bloat. It's like drinking water and beer at the same time. So hard to get a good craft beer when I visit.

Uh, lagunitas is literally everywhere in socal and it's fucking delicious.

I'm a craft beer aficionado but I'll drink Pabst Blue Ribbon anytime.

Blue Ribbon isn't readily available here, but a few places have started doing it on tap and it's my go to if it's available otherwise Hop House 13 is my standard because, being made by Guinness, it's available anywhere Guinness is available.

Anyway, light beer... I'm not sure why light beer is such a big thing in the US, Coors Light is really the only one that really sells here. I think our tastes here are very much, generally, larger and stout - Guinness, Tennents and Harp are pretty much go to anywhere, Carlsberg sells pretty well, Heineken is pretty much standard fare in our main concert venue... cider like Strongbow and Kopparberg are also a big deal.

Northern Ireland also has like 30 different breweries. I'm big into Yardsman IPA if it's about.

I apologise my American brethren. I thought your light beer was like the watery piss they try to flog down here with an alcohol content of 1-2.5% that nobody buys. Your light is averaging 4-4.5% which seems okay.

Your beer still tastes horrible though ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

The US is actually home to the very finest beers on earth. Yes, I've had the Westvleteren 12.

I apologise my American brethren. I thought your light beer was like the watery piss they try to flog down here with an alcohol content of 1-2.5% that nobody buys. Your light is averaging 4-4.5% which seems okay.

Your beer still tastes horrible though ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Cheap beer like bud and coors aren't the only thing we have.

MikeyB

Sometimes, you just don't feel like having hops peel the insides of your cheeks or drinking a loaf of bread.

What you want is a crisp, cold, refreshing beverage with a bit of a buzz to sip as you barbeque and watch a game.

Light beer is a great solution.

Marketing.

Price makes no sense when there is cheap regular beer available. It's still shit, just not as shit.

Real beer is not expensive in America.
Yeah if you buy local you can get beer that tastes good for not much more than the macro brews. I can buy a 12 pack of Surly for $13 at the liqour down the street.

Carn82

Yes, I've had the Westvleteren 12.

St Bernardus Abt 12 is almost as good, but a lot cheaper. Same recipe. Did a few tastings over the years between the two, the W12 is a bit more complex and the Abt 12 is a bit more bubbly, but I usually end up getting the Abt 12 for myself because it's so much cheaper.

Carn82

My opinion, the Belgian beer scene hasn't really evolved and is still running on the reputation of its classics.

For something light and refreshing (and doesn't taste watered), might I recommend Neato Bandito. It's a Mexican-style lager:

DEBC-Art-Cans4.jpg

It's probably not available everywhere, but it's pretty thirst quenching esp on hot days.

Trace

Banned
Sometimes, you just don't feel like having hops peel the insides of your cheeks or drinking a loaf of bread.

What you want is a crisp, cold, refreshing beverage with a bit of a buzz to sip as you barbeque and watch a game.

Light beer is a great solution.

Sounds like you want Japanese beer. Partial to Asahi myself.

ZOONAMI

My opinion, the Belgian beer scene hasn't really evolved and is still running on the reputation of its classics.

Exactly, the American beer scene is far more innovative and experimental, so brew masters have really created some incredible new beers.

lawnchair

Banned
i've consumed a few beers in my day, but i never found it to be more thirst quenching than, say, ice water. after i drink a beer i'm just more thirsty.

like .. it's nice while you're drinking it but then you're thirsty again.

ZOONAMI

i've consumed a few beers in my day, but i never found it to be more thirst quenching than, say, ice water. after i drink a beer i'm just more thirsty.

like .. it's nice while you're drinking it but then you're thirsty again.

Well alcohol dehydrates you so yeah, but vs a hoppy beer an adjunct lager is pretty refreshing. It's a hot summer day and I'm downing a few coors right now and it's great.

Lagunitas is pretty much everywhere but that particular variety may only be brewed in CA and not Chicago. I haven't seen it here in MN.
Yeah I remember being able to easily get lagunitas back on the east coast but never this specific one. I only ever saw the regular IPA and the Maximus one back there. I'm in Washington (state) btw so it is up here at least.

lawnchair

Banned
Well alcohol dehydrates you so yeah, but vs a hoppy beer an adjunct lager is pretty refreshing. It's a hot summer day and I'm downing a few coors right now and it's great.

to each his own. these days i don't really like to drink on hot days, makes me tired. unless i drink like eleven beers then i feel amazing.

Exactly, the American beer scene is far more innovative and experimental, so brew masters have really created some incredible new beers.

The Belgian gueuzeries still represent the ideal of most American wild ales. People tend to have a narrow view of Belgian beer as "the stuff the monks make, right?" Their spontaneous beer is the inspiration for the American sour revolution of the last few years.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I love good beer.

On a Tuesday night watching a game before working or a long night of drinking I like switching to something that isn't going to murder my diet or get me hung over. So I might start with an IPA or lager and then switch 3 beers in.

Also, I live in Texas. It's hot as balls. Hoppy or dark beers are no good in the summer. If I'm floating a river, at the pool or lake or day drinking at a football game or BBQ. Light beers are refreshing and keep me from getting sloppy drunk despite all day drinking.

Carn82

Yeah and the funny thing is, other countries are getting on that as well. To illustrate, past decade there have been around 150+ microbreweries in the Netherlands (where I live). Sure, not all of them are worthwhile, but it's still booming. In Belgium, from what I've seen, not so much. There are more microbreweries than a few years ago but not the big increase you see in other countries.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Been going through a bit of craft beer backlash myself. BudLight Platinum is some good shit.

Carn82

The Belgian gueuzeries still represent the ideal of most American wild ales. People tend to have a narrow view of Belgian beer as "the stuff the monks make, right?" Their spontaneous beer is the inspiration for the American sour revolution of the last few years.

I have a few friends who occasionally drive down to the brewery to get a new batch of Cantillons. I'm not the biggest fan but I heard they pay top dollar for that stuff in the US.

ceramics

Neo Member
People like light beers because they're cheap and can drink them from noon til night on the weekend, and never get too overly drunk until the end of the evening.

I myself can't stand the shit but i get why it's popular. I just today bought a sixer of Sculpin for like $15 which is fucking ridiculous but I'm a rube who will pay for it.

Though I suppose when you can get a 12pk of Torpedo's for $12-15 you'd think people would step out of their light beer bubble a little more but eh to each their own.

Top Bottom