• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why haven't you bought UFO 50 yet?

Power Pro

md88Vmw.jpeg

I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't seen a thread devoted to this amazing title so far. Admittedly I didn't know much about it until I heard people like Jeff Gerstmann talk about it on his podcast, but he only scratched the surface. For $25 on steam, I picked up this GOTY contender and I've put over 30+ hours into it, with many more in my future being likely.

What is UFO 50? Well it's 50 games in one. No hyperbole, there's 50 fleshed out games in this. It's set up as a collection of lost games from the 1980s for a computer that never really existed. While some seem a little more advanced than what hardware in the 80s could do, they all evoke the time period very well. Feeling modern, and retro at the same time.

I still have yet to really dive deep into all the games, but I've booted up every one at least once. Even if some games aren't quite my genre, every game seems fully realized. I can easily see every one having their own favorites, and being very different from another person's favorite.

So far, my favorites Bug Hunter, Magic Garden, Mortol, Waldorf's Journey, Party House (oh god I love Party House), Rail Heist, and Mini and Max. That's just the ones I've really delved into. There's a few that I booted up that seemed like they could be really cool, like Grimstone, and Night Manor.

Seeing no threads on here about this game, I just felt I needed to post something. More people need to check this title out, and the developer deserves the recognition for making such an great package.

Here's just a few random screenshots from a few of the games to give an idea of the look of them. In order: Party House, Mini and Max, Bug Hunter, Night Manor, Attactics, Valbrace, and Magic Garden.
LOsRRxI.png
l69geg9.jpeg
0NZr4l7.jpeg
Q9aswn4.jpeg
4cuGpWa.jpeg
Pa1u57F.jpeg

Rn6gtmn.jpeg

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't seen a thread devoted to this amazing title so far.

There's a couple threads.🥴

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I thought Spelunky was a pretty dreadful game and I lost interest in Downwell pretty quickly, so the pedigree doesn't particularly entice me. I might give it a shot at some point, but... eh. It's a cool concept, though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe some of these simple games are worth dabbling with for a while. I watched some UFO 50 YT videos from people going over each game. Most of them look like junk.

FunkMiller

Is there some sort of cool meta narrative at play around the fictional console or the company that made the games?

I frankly don’t give a shit about 50 unconnected NES style games in 2024.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I frankly don’t give a shit about 50 unconnected NES style games in 2024.
I wouldnt even call most of them NES style games. More like simple arcadey games from around 1980-83.

Anyone expecting 50 retro games akin to Contra or Zelda will be disappointed. I'd put the original Donkey Kong arcade game as higher quality than most games I saw on those vids. And that game came out in 1981.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I have too many actual retro games I want to play before I can make time for the fake ones. But it looks cool.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

yansolo

I got a refund after about an hour. Absolutely hated it. I get some people are nostalgic for the era, but my god are these games painful to play if you're not. And I GREW UP with these kinds of games.
yeh i felt the same way, i would rather just go play og retro games, it surprises me sometimes how such crappy games get so popular

StueyDuck

md88Vmw.jpeg

I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't seen a thread devoted to this amazing title so far. Admittedly I didn't know much about it until I heard people like Jeff Gerstmann talk about it on his podcast, but he only scratched the surface. For $25 on steam, I picked up this GOTY contender and I've put over 30+ hours into it, with many more in my future being likely.

What is UFO 50? Well it's 50 games in one. No hyperbole, there's 50 fleshed out games in this. It's set up as a collection of lost games from the 1980s for a computer that never really existed. While some seem a little more advanced than what hardware in the 80s could do, they all evoke the time period very well. Feeling modern, and retro at the same time.

I still have yet to really dive deep into all the games, but I've booted up every one at least once. Even if some games aren't quite my genre, every game seems fully realized. I can easily see every one having their own favorites, and being very different from another person's favorite.

So far, my favorites Bug Hunter, Magic Garden, Mortol, Waldorf's Journey, Party House (oh god I love Party House), Rail Heist, and Mini and Max. That's just the ones I've really delved into. There's a few that I booted up that seemed like they could be really cool, like Grimstone, and Night Manor.

Seeing no threads on here about this game, I just felt I needed to post something. More people need to check this title out, and the developer deserves the recognition for making such an great package.

Here's just a few random screenshots from a few of the games to give an idea of the look of them. In order: Party House, Mini and Max, Bug Hunter, Night Manor, Attactics, Valbrace, and Magic Garden.
LOsRRxI.png
l69geg9.jpeg
0NZr4l7.jpeg
Q9aswn4.jpeg
4cuGpWa.jpeg
Pa1u57F.jpeg

Rn6gtmn.jpeg
I did.

Then I refunded it.

It's fun but it's also a bit of a gimmick.

I expected more from it

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Guess those games aren't for everyone lol. :goog_relieved:

I have it and I've put like 10 hours or so into it. Haven't tried that many games, since I'm playing them in chronological order and trying to beat one before moving on to the next and even getting some cherries here and there, last one I've done so in being Velgress:

hq720.jpg

This one has been my favorite so far, a pretty fun and kinda challending "Downwell in reverse" in which you have to climb out of a monster's den or some shit. A very fast paced action game.

My only gripe so far with UFO 50 has been that most games so far (I've tried only 8 out of 50) have been kinda short, although I've read that later on the games become longer and more complicated, which makes sense since UFO 50 is about a made up videogame company making games from 1983 to 1989, so the first games are more arcade-like while later ones are more long, being stuff like metroidvanias, point & click adventures, JRPG, etc. In fact, I went ahead and tried one of the later games, Valbrace, and it's an amazing dungeon crawler with action combat which seems to be far longer and cooler than anything prior to it:

1800.jpg

I can definetly recommend this collection to anyone who loves indie and/or retro games. Picking a game up and finding out what's it about and how it plays is super fun, like digging up gems of a forgotten system or something. Games are very varied and most are pretty fun. Just don't be scared of Barbuta, being the first game of the collection it can be a bit intimidating, although I'd say that it's also one of the more rewarding ones.

hq720.jpg

Oh and Ninpek is GOTY.

5TAaSjp.jpeg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Never heard of this, but I like the concept.

Problem is if this is just a bunch of mediocrity? I’ll have to check out some videos, because screenshots aren’t selling the game to me.

Having bought the game due to positive reception and GAFers in the other thread being extremely hyped and positive about the game, I'm now met with some doubt because the games are more purposely janky and difficult than I expected.
I totally understand it's a love letter to the 8-bit days and pirate/multi-game carts, but I'm not sure if I want to spend xx hours just to git gud to beat a hard af minigame (compared to other games I can play in my limited gametime).
Also, I believe there's no save feature at all, even for the (slow) adventure/RPG/strategy type games, which again makes it feel more time consuming than I'd like.
Even though I love retro game design and graphics, maybe I'm just spoiled by modern day features or I always sucked at difficult games from the past :pie_thinking:
My initial plan to complete every game in order as presented in the game (left to right, top to bottom) is very much off the table at least.

Last edited:

Holammer

Never heard of this, but I like the concept.

Problem is if this is just a bunch of mediocrity? I’ll have to check out some videos, because screenshots aren’t selling the game to me.
96% user score on Steam and people are gushing over it on social media and the other UFO 50 thread.
I'll grab it later, busy with zelda and doing Plucky Knight later.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm not sure if I want to spend xx hours just to git gud to beat a hard af minigame (compared to other games I can play in my limited gametime).
The games are inspired on the 8bit era so of course they are going to be hard as nails.

That said there are easy games, like Ninpek or Magic Garden among others.

Imo having Barbuta being the first game was a mistake, bet it's giving a lot of people a wrong idea of what to expect from UFO 50.

Also, I believe there's no save feature at all, even for the (slow) adventure/RPG/strategy type games, which again makes it feel more time consuming than I'd like.
That's false. Many games have a save feature.

Last edited:

kondorBonk

Its on the list, just a busy month.

Is there some linear progression or overall meta like FunkMiller asked? I would have more fun conquering or getting to a specific level in each game/unlocking more than just a lump some of 50.

Top Bottom