• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why so much Backlash for Halo 2??

jedimike

rastex said:
Almost EVERY video game has a book dedicated to it. I remember seeing books for Contra when I was a little kid. So just the fact that it has a few books doesn't really mean much.

It's really only been the past half year or so that a lot of people have all of a sudden started becoming engrossed in the story even though the game was out for 2+ years. Whenever Halo was talked about it was always concerning the gameplay, the AI, the physics, the multiplayer. Seriously, bring up any old thread about Halo and 90% of the time the bitching will be about the level design and the praise will be about the gameplay. And now the story is the biggest focus? Come on, give me a break.

Now I'm not saying that gives the excuse for a bad story. But, what Halo is meant for is pure action with tight controls and great levels, and that's what it delivers.

You know, I think all the people who are disappointed with the story are the ones who were never into Halo in the first place, got caught up in the marketing hype which pushed the plot, and are now let down by their unrealistic marketed expectations.

Rock On!!! Hell, I didn't even know what Halo was about until they told me in the Halo 2 intro... If the major dissapointment with Halo2 is the ending, then Bungie deserves a huge pat on the back. Gameplay, balance, options, sound, clans, XBL, etc... that's the shit that matters. The story is there to give your hands a rest in between levels.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
rastex said:
Almost EVERY video game has a book dedicated to it. I remember seeing books for Contra when I was a little kid. So just the fact that it has a few books doesn't really mean much.
If its such a common occurrence TODAY, why are you digging into your childhood memories for an example?

What kind of books are we talking about here? Strategy guides or original fiction? If its fiction, are you referring to professionally published fiction or fanfiction?

Because, if its published original fiction, then I think you're significantly exaggerating the extent to which this occurs.

It's really only been the past half year or so that a lot of people have all of a sudden started becoming engrossed in the story even though the game was out for 2+ years.
That's revisionist as well. Halo fans around here have been talking about the story since Day 1. Quite a few around here were recommending the books within days or weeks of their availability.

Seriously, bring up any old thread about Halo and 90% of the time the bitching will be about the level design and the praise will be about the gameplay. And now the story is the biggest focus? Come on, give me a break.
Here's a thought, maybe they didn't think the story was the part worth bitching about the first time around...

Now I'm not saying that gives the excuse for a bad story. But, what Halo is meant for is pure action with tight controls and great levels, and that's what it delivers.

You know, I think all the people who are disappointed with the story are the ones who were never into Halo in the first place, got caught up in the marketing hype which pushed the plot, and are now let down by their unrealistic marketed expectations.
Personally, I'm not all that bothered by how the story has progressed thus far, but I think you're deluding yourself to suggest that there isn't a strong emphasis on story in Halo by either BUNGIE themselves or bonafide fans of the original game and this one. You don't get this level of storytelling in a game without a SIGNIFICANT investment of resources. You're a game dev, aren't you? How can you be so dismissive of what you see?

xsarien

daedsiluap
If you'd like a concise, realistic answer:
When a game is hyped to the level that Halo 2's hype reached (i.e., "More popular - and cooler - than Jesus"), expectations are built up to such a degree that it's inevitable that a good chunk of people will be disappointed.

Ramirez

The only reason I can think of people hating this game is if they just suck at it,honestly,if you're half way decent at this game it is a blast.

JayFro

Banned
Who cares about the single player campaign? This game is meant to be enjoyed with friends or over Xbox Live. Halo 2 is the first FPS that I've ever liked and it's all due to the multi-player over Xbox Live. I've already played 68 matches on Live and I've loved every minute of it.

Ramirez said:
The only reason I can think of people hating this game is if they just suck at it,honestly,if you're half way decent at this game it is a blast.

Wondered when this argument would show up.

Azih

I really really like Halo 2 because of Xbox live. The game would barely be a 8 without it though. And yes, there are people out there who do not want to be on Live, or don't have or can't get broadband SHOCK HORROR. So judge the game if it was played purely as a single player experience.

Ramirez said:
Well Ham,Im not hard to find on Live,you could always prove me wrong.

I think his point wasn't whether or not you're good, but that it's a weak agument saying that the only people that don't like it are the ones that aren't good at it.

Sai

Ramirez said:
Seriously, that is part of it. Some people aren't using the weapons as they should, and seem helpless without the M6D Pistol to fall back on. It's pathetic.

teepo

Sai said:
Seriously, that is part of it. Some people aren't using the weapons as they should, and seem helpless without the M6D Pistol to fall back on. It's pathetic.

you might be surprised to find out most people who played halo1 don't know how good the pistol was.

Ramirez

I think his point wasn't whether or not you're good, but that it's a weak agument saying that the only people that don't like it are the ones that aren't good at it.

How is it a weak argument when 9 times out of 10 its true?

Solid

I just beat it for the second time... a lot of things is much clearer now. I love this game, GOTY DELUXE! HATERZ BEGONE!

I think that weak argument becomes stronger because the title is online:

Joe Gamer: Hey guys! Just got Halo 2! Lets start a match.
Rando-Gamer #1: Yo, lets do dis.
Rando-Gamer #2: Hurry Up Already.

*game start*

Joe Gamer: How do I dual wield? Can anyone tell me how to make my rank go up?
*Rando-Gamer #1 kills Joe Gamer*
Rando-Gamer#1: HOW'D U LIKE DAT BITCH! HAW HAW YO YO YO ALWAYS BE MY BOO
Rando-Gamer#2: That bitch stole my sub-machine gun anyway. Fuck him Fuck him.
*Rando-Gamer #2 Kills Joe Gamer* Hah bitch! Ha! Ha! FUCKER! BITCH! DIE! Take my gun you cumslut! DIE!
*Rando-Gamer #1 Plasters Joe Gamer*
Rando-Gamer #1: YOU FUCKIN D'SERVED THAT BITCH! FUCK FUCK YO YO WHAT WHAT???!?!?!
Rando-Gamer #2: FUCK U FUCK U FUCK U! SHIT FUCK ILL KILL YOU FUCK CUM!

*Joe Gamer Quits and takes copy back to the store*

Ramirez said:

Because what are you actually basing that on? Anyone can say "Well you don't like my favorite game? That's only because you suck at it". Like every game it's not perfect so there's obviously going to be gameplay reasons for people not to like it. I mean seriously, why's it so hard to believe that people might not like the game?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I haven't seen anyone hating on Halo 2's gameplay, that is by far the most enjoyable part of the whole package.

It's funny that people saying they liked the ending have no reason to justify why other than, "This confirms Halo 3, yay i love Halo!" The reason i'm so dissapointed is because
i expected the final level to be extremely kick ass and the most exciting of the whole game, judging from the final master cheif cutscene.
That's all i'm getting at.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Ramirez said:

I don't really get what you're aiming at here. You want people to play against you to prove...what? That you're better at the game, thus your opinion is superior? Why would I have to enter a pissing contest to make my opinion valid? I mean, are you saying people who complain about the game do it because they don't know how to play it? I haven't seen anyone saying they have problems playing the game, nothing bad about difficulty. Or wait, do you mean everyone as good as you will enjoy Halo 2 so much they will overlook all possible aspects of the game that others might consider lacking?

This is like stating Kirby Air Ride won't be fun until you've played it for 60+ hours, and unless you haven't played it for 60+ hours you simply don't understand it.

The only thing I was really disappointed about was not getting to pilot the scarab in the last level. I thought for sure that after tracking all the way through that huge valley and up through the forerunner building to get to the scarab I was gonna hop right in and blast some fools. Instead, I was handed another banshee and was forced to protect the scarab from other banshees (that happen to have wretched AI - that seriously needs to be fixed in Halo 3. Did anyone actually battle another banshee that was trying evasive manuavers like the rolls?).

Azih

Actually yeah, on Normal anyway the vehicle driving A.I is pretty crap. Is it better on the higher difficulties?

Ramirez

That's not what Im saying at all,it has nothing to do with me being better.MAF pretty much painted the picture Im seeing,surprisingly.

I'm just saying there has to be something more to it than the game just not being for you,because if you don't like the gameplay of Halo then I can't imagine how any other console FPS is better in your opinion...you should just quit the genre altogether,seriously.

I'm just basing this off personal experience,most of my friends love the game,but the ones who don't are the people who are constantly getting waxed by other people in multiplayer or they're too stupid to work the dual analog setup sadly.

Deg

Banned
Well having played it i enjoyed it. However the hype clearly got to this game. Wasnt as good as i expected. Also the multiplayer doesnt seem as good, although it could be that the maps work better with more people?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Ramirez said:
That's not what Im saying at all,it has nothing to do with me being better.MAF pretty much painted the picture Im seeing,surprisingly.

I'm just saying there has to be something more to it than the game just not being for you,because if you don't like the gameplay of Halo then I can't imagine how any other console FPS is better in your opinion...you should just quit the genre altogether,seriously.

I'm just basing this off personal experience,most of my friends love the game,but the ones who don't are the people who are constantly getting waxed by other people in multiplayer or they're too stupid to work the dual analog setup sadly.

You honestly think there are a lot people on this gaming forum who don't know how to play a god damn FPS with a standard dual analog setup? I can only speak for myself, but I've played through Halo on heroic and legendary a few times. I played Halo 2 on heroic, without much trouble. So maybe I'm licensed to complain, at least?
I agree that there aren't any FPS games on consoles that are better than Halo and Halo 2 (as far as I can remember), but then...it's not exactly the biggest console genre either, and it's much better represented and suitable for PC.

Sai

teepo said:
you might be surprised to find out most people who played halo1 don't know how good the pistol was.
The folks that're doing the most bitching about HALO 2's gameplay are the ones that did know how good the M6D Pistol was.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Fear not guys, Halo 3 will be a 60 Hours FPS opus...and you'll be able to see Cortana's boobies if you beat it with just the Needler. You heard it here first!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Deg said:
Should have been better given what was being said about the game.

I have a feeling that you wouldn't be saying such things if this were a new Zelda game in question. Of course, this kind of stuff WAS said about Wind Waker. Did you join in on that?

Ramirez

I said from my experience Kir,though I wouldn't doubt with the intelligence level I see here daily that some people here might struggle with the setup too.

Tellaerin

deadlifter said:
It's funny that people saying they liked the ending have no reason to justify why other than, "This confirms Halo 3, yay i love Halo!" The reason i'm so dissapointed is because
i expected the final level to be extremely kick ass and the most exciting of the whole game, judging from the final master cheif cutscene.
That's all i'm getting at.

I'm not raving that the ending was the best one I've ever seen in a videogame or anything. It's a cliffhanger, and how good is any cliffhanger, really? The best thing that you can say for a cliffhanger ending is that it leaves you anxious to see what happens next. And judging by the reactions I've been hearing, that is a big 'mission accomplished' for Bungie. I guess what I'm saying is that it didn't bother me. After all, when it ended, I had
finally kicked the ass of the power-hungry prick who had been stealing credit for my accomplishments as the Arbiter (Tartarus) and saved all sentient life in the galaxy from annihilation
, which had left me feeling pretty good. I guess another thing to take into account is that I wasn't jonesing to
save the Earth with Master Chief
the way some people obviously are, so not getting to do that this time didn't disappoint me, and I didn't feel like the ending was a cruel tease for something I'd been looking forward to. I can understand how some people would feel that way, but for me, it was more like, 'cool, the next game's going to open up with a major battle,' and that's it. Personally, I'm more interested in seeing how other aspects of the plot unfold, and what revelations might be in store concerning
the Forerunners and the Ark

Hopefully this gives you some insight into the mind of one person who genuinely didn't hate the ending of Halo 2.

Deg

Banned
dark10x said:
I have a feeling that you wouldn't be saying such things if this were a new Zelda game in question. Of course, this kind of stuff WAS said about Wind Waker. Did you join in on that?

And Zelda had claims like 3d AI and 10 times better than Halo by Miyamoto...

Most of the hype on Zelda was spent on justifying the 'artstyle' ;) the gameplay saved the game in that case.

Nintendo are hardly overhypers. Hell it would be an acheivement if they did hype a game let alone overhype it :p

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Tellaerin said:
I'm not raving that the ending was the best one I've ever seen in a videogame or anything. It's a cliffhanger, and how good is any cliffhanger, really? The best thing that you can say for a cliffhanger ending is that it leaves you anxious to see what happens next. And judging by the reactions I've been hearing, that is a big 'mission accomplished' for Bungie. I guess what I'm saying is that it didn't bother me. After all, when it ended, I had
finally kicked the ass of the power-hungry prick who had been stealing credit for my accomplishments as the Arbiter (Tartarus) and saved all sentient life in the galaxy from annihilation
, which had left me feeling pretty good. I guess another thing to take into account is that I wasn't jonesing to
save the Earth with Master Chief
the way some people obviously are, so not getting to do that this time didn't disappoint me, and I didn't feel like the ending was a cruel tease for something I'd been looking forward to. I can understand how some people would feel that way, but for me, it was more like, 'cool, the next game's going to open up with a major battle,' and that's it. Personally, I'm more interested in seeing how other aspects of the plot unfold, and what revelations might be in store concerning
the Forerunners and the Ark

Hopefully this gives you some insight into the mind of one person who genuinely didn't hate the ending of Halo 2.

Thank you for actually giving a reasonable response. I could see how someone could be somewhat satisfied now.

Azih

My beef has never been with people who liked the ending. My beef is what the idjits that cannot wrap their minds around the very obvious and reasonable reasons why so many people loathe it. This 'if you don't like it you must suck' idea being thrown around by Ramirez is just unspeakably stupid.

Ramirez

Huh,what?I never said you had to like the story,I just question how someone couldn't like the gameplay,it is refined and balanced,the story's a whole different matter,my complaints were people trying to knock the actual gameplay.

Ramirez said:
The people that are complaining about the cliffhanger ending only hate the ending because they suck at the game?

What?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Ramirez said:
Huh,what?I never said you had to like the story,I just question how someone couldn't like the gameplay,it is refined and balanced,the story's a whole different matter,my complaints were people trying to knock the actual gameplay.

I don't think anyone in the thread is knocking the gameplay. And if they did, they didn't have a good enough argument to catch my attention.

Top Bottom