• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wicked Teaser Trailer. The Musical? Prequel to the Wizard of Oz.

Doom85

Why are we trying to make every old villain into some misunderstood hero these days? Especially female ones?

Justin Timberlake What GIF

The Wicked play came out in 2003, and the original book came out in 1995…

Doom85

So sorry. My mistake. Please forgive me for my grievous error. Why are we trying to rehabilitate female villans though?

Not rehabilitate, more like providing more context to a story to change one’s perspective on what happened.

“Luke, you‘re going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

StueyDuck

When can we expect the usual "outrage" marketing campaign to begin?

I'm very curious who is to blame this time for a movies poor sales, other than the people who make them obviously, those people are always perfect

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
The play was a lot of fun, my kids loved it when we saw it in NYC last year. But I don't care about Ariana and the Wicked Witch girl I have no idea who she is. Not that it matters, but Can they even handle the songs.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Not rehabilitate, more like providing more context to a story to change one’s perspective on what happened.

“Luke, you‘re going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” - Obi-Wan Kenobi
I suppose but unless frank baum wrote the book it's fanfiction. I'm pretty sure he was dead before 95. Not every story needs expansion.

Doom85

I suppose but unless frank baum wrote the book it's fanfiction.

You could say that about a ton of follow ups that don’t involve the original creator, doesn’t mean they can’t be good or not. Blade Runner 2049 is an obvious example. Hell, tons of superhero comics, in fact most of Stan Lee’s creations got far better realized under later writers. The original Flash and Green Lantern (Jay Garrick and Alan Scott) were not as well beloved as the later Flashes and GLs created by other writers. And so on and so forth.

Regardless, this story has already existed for nearly three decades now, and plenty of people enjoyed the book/play.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The play was a lot of fun, my kids loved it when we saw it in NYC last year. But I don't care about Ariana and the Wicked Witch girl I have no idea who she is. Not that it matters, but Can they even handle the songs.

Have you HEARD Ariana Grande sing? She has near Mariah Carey vocal range

Doom85

Have you HEARD Ariana Grande sing? She has near Mariah Carey vocal range

Love Ariana, gorgeous voice. Also realized this is Cynthia Erivo playing the young Wicked Witch, who gave an excellent performance and singing in Bad Times at the El Royale (a film more need to check out, it was one of my faves of 2018). She also did a great job playing Harriet Tubman in a recent biopic. She was also in Widows, but felt underused in screentime compared to the rest of the cast there.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ugh, visually this film is almost making me nauseous, is ANYTHING real in camera other than actors?

I can only guess at the plot but I suspect it has "NOT FOR YOU, OLD MAN!!!" written all over it :p

I'm gonna start making counter-culture media like this but about all the unsung Princes and how they rose to greatness because of the ills wrought upon them by 304s, toxic women, and danger hairs everywhere. Set it with a heavy metal score, lots of imagery right outta Boris Vallejo and Frank Frazetta, and lots of chicks inexplicably always in chain mail bikinis.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
You could say that about a ton of follow ups that don’t involve the original creator, doesn’t mean they can’t be good or not. Blade Runner 2049 is an obvious example. Hell, tons of superhero comics, in fact most of Stan Lee’s creations got far better realized under later writers. The original Flash and Green Lantern (Jay Garrick and Alan Scott) were not as well beloved as the later Flashes and GLs created by other writers. And so on and so forth.

Regardless, this story has already existed for nearly three decades now, and plenty of people enjoyed the book/play.
I don't think that's a good comparison at all. These were a set of books written 80-plus years ago. Comic books are a serialized format that go out every month forever potentially. It makes sense that writers and artists would change out over time. Very few people want to write the same shit forever.

Rings of Power is the same. It's not based on any book or writings. It's pure fanfiction. Just like this.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Ugh, visually this film is almost making me nauseous, is ANYTHING real in camera other than actors?

I can only guess at the plot but I suspect it has "NOT FOR YOU, OLD MAN!!!" written all over it :p

I'm gonna start making counter-culture media like this but about all the unsung Princes and how they rose to greatness because of the ills wrought upon them by 304s, toxic women, and danger hairs everywhere. Set it with a heavy metal score, lots of imagery right outta Boris Vallejo and Frank Frazetta, and lots of chicks inexplicably always in chain mail bikinis.

It's a theatrical remake of the Broadway play that's been going on for 20 years now. Which, itself, is based on the book of the same name which came out in 95 (all of this info is in Doom85 Doom85 post earlier in thread). The story isn't recent.

Doom85

I don't think that's a good comparison at all. These were a set of books written 80-plus years ago. Comic books are a serialized format that go out every month forever potentially. It makes sense that writers and artists would change out over time. Very few people want to write the same shit forever.

Rings of Power is the same. It's not based on any book or writings. It's pure fanfiction. Just like this.

That‘s your interpretation of it. One could easily say only the original creator of a comic book character “holds the true vision” or whatever.

Regardless, my Blade Runner example still stands.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
That‘s your interpretation of it. One could easily say only the original creator of a comic book character “holds the true vision” or whatever.

Regardless, my Blade Runner example still stands.
Ok then. You like the play I get it. I'm not sure what your point is with Blade Runner 2049? The og Blade Runner film is quite different form the book and 2049 is a sequel to that. I don't think anyone thinks of Do Androids Dream of electric sheep as a great piece of literature anyway.

Davesky

I guess the overall theme of the original and what she represents went right over their heads. She can’t be humanised.

Doom85

Ok then. You like the play I get it. I'm not sure what your point is with Blade Runner 2049? The og Blade Runner film is quite different from the book and 2049 is a sequel to that. I don't think anyone thinks of Do Androids Dream of electric sheep as a great piece of literature anyway.

I’m obviously referring to Ridley Scott as the original visionary of the film version Blade Runner. Yes, I know it’s loosely based on a book.

Did Ridley Scott write or direct 2049? No. Hence my point.

For another Scott example, Aliens. Ridley Scott and a few writers created Alien, yet none of them were involved with Aliens. So Aliens, widely considered one of the greatest sequels of all time, is “fanfiction” based on your guidelines.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I’m obviously referring to Ridley Scott as the original visionary of the film version Blade Runner. Yes, I know it’s loosely based on a book.

Did Ridley Scott write or direct 2049? No. Hence my point.

For another Scott example, Aliens. Ridley Scott and a few writers created Alien, yet none of them were involved with Aliens. So Aliens, widely considered one of the greatest sequels of all time, is “fanfiction” based on your guidelines.
Your talking about movies. I'm talking about books. Do you like Rings of Power?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Why does it matter? Baum is the original creator of Oz. Scott is the original creator of Alien. The difference of mediums is irrelevant.

Never even see RoP.
I disagree. I'm talking about literature being distorted by people years after the fact. This is a "prequel" to the wizard of oz which makes it even worse. I don't think of the countless films starring vampires as fanfiction of of Dracula. They're their own thing. This is billed as a prequel to a beloved books series written years after the author is long dead. Just like Rings of Power. If you can't see the difference I guess we're done here because I can't help you.

Doom85

I disagree. I'm talking about literature being distorted by people years after the fact. This is a "prequel" to the wizard of oz which makes it even worse. I don't think of the countless films starring vampires as fanfiction of of Dracula. They're their own thing. This is billed as a prequel to a beloved books series written years after the author is long dead. Just like Rings of Power. If you can't see the difference I guess we're done here because I can't help you.

Calm Down Al Pacino GIF

Alien isn’t a film adaptation of anything (so why are you bringing up Dracula?). Ridley Scott and the writers were the creators of it. None of them were involved in Aliens. This is a perfectly valid example, unless you can point me to evidence that Scott approved of the Aliens script before they went forward with filming.

Unless you just generalize and see books as superior to films. Which is your own personal bias, and if that’s the case, then I can’t help you.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's a theatrical remake of the Broadway play that's been going on for 20 years now. Which, itself, is based on the book of the same name which came out in 95 (all of this info is in Doom85 Doom85 post earlier in thread). The story isn't recent.
I dunno, after reading the synopses of the book and the stage play, then watching that trailer, I'm not sure how easy it will be to walk back the connections versus whatever spin they put on the film. Guess we'll see once the stage fans see the film.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I dunno, after reading the synopses of the book and the stage play, then watching that trailer, I'm not sure how easy it will be to walk back the connections versus whatever spin they put on the film. Guess we'll see once the stage fans see the film.

If the stage fans like it, it should be fine for everyone else to go see. Like The Wiz.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I don't remember much of the musical, but it I do remember I didn't get what the fuss is about. Didn't grab me. This looks like another CGI shit fest, I don't understand why can't they just build these locations. Make it more grounded. It looks so pristine so fake.

jason10mm

Gold Member
If the stage fans like it, it should be fine for everyone else to go see. Like The Wiz.
I don't watch a lot of musicals or film adaptations of musicals but there is a certain economy of storytelling you can get away with in a stage play to make room for the songs that a movie doesn't really allow. Curious where the film goes. The soundtrack is sure to be a banger though, I can see the "witch green" vinyl boxed set already :p

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't watch a lot of musicals or film adaptations of musicals but there is a certain economy of storytelling you can get away with in a stage play to make room for the songs that a movie doesn't really allow. Curious where the film goes. The soundtrack is sure to be a banger though, I can see the "witch green" vinyl boxed set already :p

You should give The Wiz a try.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Wow. This movie trailer absolutely doesn't want to make it clear that this is a musical. Idina Menzel is most known for the two Frozen movies, but it was her role as the witch Elphaba that put her on the map. "Defying Gravity" is the best known song, it's a true tour de force for singers.

The choice for a black actress to play the wicked witch isn't a great idea IMO. The role is (almost?) always played by white actresses. Looking at the trailer it's going to be about skin color/race/etc too.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
You should give The Wiz a try.

Really? It was an awful musical back in the day, flopped horribly. I think The Netherlands was the only place where a song from the movie musical became a hit. Even got to number one. It's a good song, but my god, I still can't get over the garish sets and costumes. That song is the only reason I remember this disaster.

RaptorGTA

Man this looked weak.

My sisters are huge Oz fans. Loved the original, loved Return to Oz and The Wiz

Never watched the Tim Burton movie but I wanted too.

I know this is a popular musical and it's got a strong cast but the trailer didn't sell me on it at all. Honestly I would have prefer they just do a Broadway style movie and save us the CGI mess.

if she's not the villain, then who is? Surely it can't be Michelle Yeoh. She's a strong, independent woman!!!

And how dare she does greenface. That's offensive to goblins!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Really? It was an awful musical back in the day, flopped horribly. I think The Netherlands was the only place where a song from the movie musical became a hit. Even got to number one. It's a good song, but my god, I still can't get over the garish sets and costumes. That song is the only reason I remember this disaster.

It's a classic in the black community. The Broadway play is quite different than the movie in looks. Even the live musical on NBC was amazing. Maybe that's the version you should see since it's not a movie version of the musical but the ACTUAL musical.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's a classic in the black community. The Broadway play is quite different than the movie in looks. Even the live musical on NBC was amazing. Maybe that's the version you should see since it's not a movie version of the musical but the ACTUAL musical.
I saw The Wiz as a kid, back then you could have a thing that was just a different form of another thing, and it wasn't always a coded message. So an all-black version of Oz is kinda like an all-white version of Seven Samurai (aka The Magnificant Seven). Don't remember a whole lot about it but do have vaguely pleasant memories of it, I'll have to see if the soundtrack is on amazon or something.

Hah, it is! Listening to it now.

Edit: Pro tip, Do NOT play the intro to "Ease on Down the Road" with all the breathless moaning in your office lest you want some funny looks :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom