• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

schlew

Hey, I joined the GAF NA community yesterday, you'll see me as 'tylerohlew' I believe.

Having a lot of fun, and I'm excited to see just how these gym communities are implemented.

zigg

So pushing a button a couple times would cause you to give up? Wow.
Give up? No. I'd stick with Plus.

If you're doing a bunch of Board-centric exercises, like I have been, and you have to stop between every exercise, pad over to the damn GamePad, push a button and hear the same commentary from the trainer every time… especially when you're doing ten in a row… that's just ridiculously inefficient. Especially when I've spent… how many years has it been since Plus came out?… four years experiencing a substantially streamlined setup that measurably takes less time out of a busy morning.

So I take it there is no option to skip the BS in a My Routine?

jts

...hate me...
Nice. Last friday I bought a Fit Meter even though I have another one coming in the mail, just to get it a couple of days earlier.

Today I had my first chance to use it in real life, but I go to work and I forget to bring it. With any luck, when I get home I'll have another one waiting for me in the mail :mad:

Exile20

Just press the Home button while this screen is shown, enter Miiverse and post it anywhere.

You can't post all screens in the game.

To post in the NeoGAF community, press the home button as usual, then go to communities on the left then go to favorites in the upper right then go to the NeoGAF community and post the screenshot there.

RaidenZR

Anyone been noting down what you need to do to get the various costumes? Would nice to get a comprehensive list.

You can get the waiter-tuxedo-suit thing by just unlocking the Advanced version of the waiter/serving balance game. I think you only need 2-3 stars for that on beginner. I have seen someone wearing the scuba outfit, and someone else wearing the puffy vest from the snowball fight game. Not sure how to unlock those though since I worked my way up to Extra on Snowball Fight and didn't get jack.

Steph_E.

In the instruction manual it says if you ever unlink all Fit Meters from your Trial Version, it will revert to free trial status and (provided your 31 days have ended) stop working until you sync a Fit Meter to it again
....it's done this way so that you can't use a single Fit Meter to unlock multiple Trial Versions for your friends.

So...if you don't want the Fit Meter functionality, just the "game", you can use a single Fit Meter to unlock multiple trial versions? In that case, £20 to unlock a million free versions of Wii Fit sounds lile a good deal. Even if I only charge £1 at time for this "service", I will be a millionaire - not so good for Nintendo though.

Bog

Junior Ace
Anyone have any Balance Board push-ups tips? I can do them just fine, but my hands hurt like hell.

Exile20

So...if you don't want the Fit Meter functionality, just the "game", you can use a single Fit Meter to unlock multiple trial versions? In that case, £20 to unlock a million free versions of Wii Fit sounds lile a good deal. Even if I only charge £1 at time for this "service", I will be a millionaire - not so good for Nintendo though.

What? Didn't he just say you cant do that?

Anyone have any Balance Board push-ups tips? I can do them just fine, but my hands hurt like hell.

I would put down some kind of fabric on the board itself.

Lenardo

Banned
over the weekend, moderate eating, and worked out a few times, dropped 1.5lbs, part/most of that is probably clothes, i was fully dressed jeans shirt etc- minus shoes- the first weigh in, wasn't the 2nd time and i got a more accurate representation of how much my clothes weighed (0lbs)

my goal is to do ~20 minutes of yoga and maybe one or two aerobic activities in the morning mon-fri(i drive my son to the bus stop at 7:40. then drive my twins to school at 8:45 so i have an hr to do workout stuff, shower, get them up and out of the door.

and do every other day ~30-45 minutes after work, i will probably switch between this and your fitness evolved for the aerobics part

meter is arriving today

Steph_E.

What? Didn't he just say you cant do that?

Not quite. He said if you ever unlink all Fit Meters from your Trial Version that Trial Version it will stop working.
I did not say anything about unlinking any fit meters from Trial Versions. It all depends how you go about resetting your fit meter so it will work with a different user. If you have to link you fit meter to the original Trial Version to reset the fit meter my master plan clearly won't work. But if you can reset the fit meter without reference to the original Trial Version (eg pull out the battery)....
( I have not got my fit meter yet so I can't try it out, but surely my master plan won't work in reality - Nintendo can't be that crazy. Can they?)

Not quite. He said if you ever unlink all Fit Meters from your Trial Version that Trial Version it will stop working.
I did not say anything about unlinking any fit meters from Trial Versions. It all depends how you go about resetting your fit meter so it will work with a different user. If you have to link you fit meter to the original Trial Version to reset the fit meter my master plan clearly won't work. But if you can reset the fit meter without reference to the original Trial Version (eg pull out the battery)....
( I have not got my fit meter yet so I can't try it out, but surely my master plan won't work in reality - Nintendo can't be that crazy. Can they?)

To link a Fit Meter with another copy of Wii Fit U, you have to unlink it from the one it's currently linked to. Killing your plan. A Fit Meter can only be connected to one copy of Wii Fit U at any time.

Dragoshi1

Got 88% accuracy in the Flamenco.

Dang, who knew so few steps could be so hard to memorize?

I also liked the waiter minigame, but screw the sideways rolls!

RaidenZR

Don't really understand the visual data for the big Communities display panel for the North American Neogaf group. Is it just showing me a list of who's doing what at that specific moment? Or is it a comprehensive readout of tallied data since it began? Neither seems like the case. Or if it is one of those then It seems buggy The categories of exercises seem to fluctuate VERY wildly. One day the yoga bar was full and no one was doing Aerobics, the next day Yoga was empty and Aerobics was partially bigger. Also, I swear yesterday it said the group had an 8% share of female members, and now it's at 0%. What gives?

Don't really understand the visual data for the big Communities display panel for the North American Neogaf group. Is it just showing me a list of who's doing what at that specific moment? Or is it a comprehensive readout of tallied data since it began? Neither seems like the case, of if it is one of those then It seems buggy The categories of exercises seem to fluctuate VERY wildly. One day the yoga bar was full and no one was doing Aerobics, the next day Yoga was empty and Aerobics was partially bigger. Also, I swear yesterday it said the group had an 8% share of female members, and now it's at 0%. What gives?

I'm not sure if it's displaying the total number of gym members or the number of members presently logged into the community.

RaidenZR

You can't post all screens in the game.

To post in the NeoGAF community, press the home button as usual, then go to communities on the left then go to favorites in the upper right then go to the NeoGAF community and post the screenshot there.

When I do this I don't see the Neogaf community at all. I see all the other default gyms but not the Neogaf one. This shit is so buggy right now.

Edit: I just removed myself and then rejoined, and reposted a message. If someone can see my posts can you try "Yeah"-ing it? My mii's name is Miichael (two i's) and I'm a white dude with short, messy brown hair. Red shirt.

My miiverse profile show no history of it and I can't access the neogaf community for some reason. It makes no sense.

Edit 2: I can access my posts on the web miiverse, but not on the Wii U. This is so friggin' frustrating.
4ZKLcsC.jpg

gafneo

Banned
Wii Fit U is extremely fun. The convenience and the amount of options will get even the laziest person a reason to be more active. They managed to innovate the balance board even more. Can't imagine the Kinect ever giving a player this much responsive freedom. If the board was a bit slimmer and wider without hogging 4 batteries, it would be the ultimate companion to hardcore motion games. Could even imagine playing VR games on it if you could buy a little gate circling it's boarders to prevent you from falling over at the same time while being engaged.

Exile20

When I do this I don't see the Neogaf community at all. I see all the other default gyms but not the Neogaf one. This shit is so buggy right now.

Edit: I just removed myself and then rejoined, and reposted a message. If someone can see my posts can you try "Yeah"-ing it? My mii's name is Miichael (two i's) and I'm a white dude with short, messy brown hair. Red shirt.

My miiverse profile show no history of it and I can't access the neogaf community for some reason. It makes no sense.

Edit 2: I can access my posts on the web miiverse, but not on the Wii U. This is so friggin' frustrating.
4ZKLcsC.jpg

I yeahed your post.

Chorazin

This morning I found the option for a random workout that you can drill down to specific events and a time limit, that was sweet to do different random yoga exercises for 15 minutes this morning, and then I played the Kung Fu game which was a great time.

Definitely a fun way to stretch out in the morning!

Tyeforce

Just press the Home button while this screen is shown, enter Miiverse and post it anywhere.
It doesn't work for me. =/ I've tried posting to Miiverse and uploading via the Internet Browser and neither work. It says the software doesn't support screenshots or something.

Maybe Nintendo locked out the screenshot feature in certain regions... I'm using the U.S. version.

Exile20

It doesn't work for me. =/ I've tried posting to Miiverse and uploading via the Internet Browser and neither work. It says the software doesn't support screenshots or something.

Maybe Nintendo locked out the screenshot feature in certain regions... I'm using the U.S. version.

Definitely not. I am in the US and I can post screenshots.

I'm part of the N. America gym, but how do I find the NeoGAF Wii Fit U Miiverse community? I've looked in the general Wii Fit U community section, but found nothing.

It is in your favorites.

I didn't see this in my brief skim of the thread but can the Fit Meter only be tied to one Mii? For example, do I have to buy two Fit Meters to cover myself and my girlfriend or can we share one and choose who gets it when one of us goes to the gym?

I didn't see this in my brief skim of the thread but can the Fit Meter only be tied to one Mii? For example, do I have to buy two Fit Meters to cover myself and my girlfriend or can we share one and choose who gets it when one of us goes to the gym?

One meter per Mii/person. A single Fit Meter will only host one user profile, not multiple. If you let your GF use it and you sync it to the Wii U, the game will give your profile all the credits and stats.

So pushing a button a couple times would cause you to give up? Wow.
My WiiFit+ routine involved doing 4 sets of push-ups right after each other, getting a ranking after each and pushing a would be a total hassle. Absolutely baffling decision if they switched back.

Dragoshi1

Okay, Flamenco definitely got harder in Advanced mode.

Once they threw in those extra steps, I kept tripping up, and then my Wiimotes stopped registering moves correctly halfway through.

I CAN DO IT!

And did the Free Jog thing for 5 minutes, only made it a mile, and I was already gasping for air.

Didn't rest after the Flamenco sessions, so that could contribute to that.

But yep, having a blast with Wii Fit U, much easier to launch and get set up than Wii Fit Plus and waiting for the Wii OS to load up.

I'm really enjoying my return to Wii Fit. There's a lot of content, even if much of it is carried over from previous versions, and some of the new exercises are my favourites. I'm particularly hooked on Puzzle Squash and could play it for hours.

Still, there are definitely a lot of areas in which the software could be improved, and I hope Nintendo is committed to tweaking it over the coming months. I'd love to see less chatter/prompts between exercises during a routine. It feels as though half the time in my yoga routine is spent waiting for the next exercise to begin, and the button prompts are annoying and unneeded. Condensing these exercises so that I can get more done in less time would be a big improvement. Also little details like having to choose right or left hand every time I play Puzzle Squash... Just seems like an annoying oversight and not what you'd expect from the perfectionists at Nintendo.

I also feel like Nintendo missed the boat a bit in not including some dual balance board games. If you could sync two boards simultaneously and have two people training together or competing in multiplayer it would add a lot to the experience. I know it would have pushed me to buy a second balance board for my household and I doubt I'm the only one.

Here's hoping there will be patches for functionality and DLC for new exercises in the future, but overall it's a great product that really motivates me to spend time focusing on fitness.

Give up? No. I'd stick with Plus.

If you're doing a bunch of Board-centric exercises, like I have been, and you have to stop between every exercise, pad over to the damn GamePad, push a button and hear the same commentary from the trainer every time… especially when you're doing ten in a row… that's just ridiculously inefficient. Especially when I've spent… how many years has it been since Plus came out?… four years experiencing a substantially streamlined setup that measurably takes less time out of a busy morning.

So I take it there is no option to skip the BS in a My Routine?

Well from what I can tell, it's like the other Wii Fit games, first time or two you do the routine, the game will run a live demo of the trainer doing the exercise and explaining what they are doing. Once your over that hill, the game does start to just jump into exercises like Wii Fit Plus. Also if your exercises are the ones with extra reps or something, the game will most likely just jump into it (did the lunge at 15 reps on Saturday, first time and it just instantly jumped to the exercise)

Also you could just keep a wii remote handy - this seems to be the best work around while Wii Fit U is working though newbie mode.

I think it's been set that way because Nintendo may be anticipating that a lot of people getting Wii Fit U are lapsed users of Wii Fit or Wii Fit Plus. It doesn't bring over the number of times you've done a routine, only your best scores for each activity.

Just finished my second workout, trying some of the dance activities. Burned almost 250 calories.

Really liking it and cannot wait for my Fit Meter. Will join the NA GAF gym soon.

The Hermit

Believe it or not, this is the game that made me buy a WiiU.

Btw, what if I don't want the pedometer and already have the Balance Board... I have to pay 19 bucks too?

zigg

Well from what I can tell, it's like the other Wii Fit games, first time or two you do the routine, the game will run a live demo of the trainer doing the exercise and explaining what they are doing.
Just to be clear, I can get over the notion that it's going to force me to run demos of exercises I've been doing for months (though I wish it wouldn't—Plus carried over my history in this regard.) What I don't want to have to deal with is scores and commentary after every exercise from here on out. (Though scores would be great if they dismissed themselves automatically after a few seconds!)

Maybe it'll clear up in a day or two? I just hit day one this morning.

Haines

Banned
i thought the mii pedometer challenges would be more animated, not just a mii sliding across a path on map on your screen. ah well, better than nothing

zigg

Day 2:

Gained 1.3 pounds

Wii Fit Fail.
Heh.

In all seriousness, though, one lesson I've learned sticking with Wii Fit (okay, on and off a little) since the beginning is that your daily weight fluctuates. Sometimes like crazy.

The strategy I've opted to use to deal with this is to also add my weigh-ins to the Hacker's Diet Online, which uses a weighted moving average to smooth out the curves, tell you your rate of weight loss, and give you an estimate of how many additional calories you need to shed from your personal status quo to achieve your goals.

Chorazin

Day 2:

Gained 1.3 pounds

Wii Fit Fail.

Water weight. Different clothes. Different time of day. Different amount of food in you. ANY of those things could do that.

As someone who's lost a ton of weight, I definitely recommend not weighing yourself every day, it'll drive you mad eventually. Once a week, on the same day, before you eat or drink, and naked if you can is the best way. :)

GulAtiCa

Yep, keep in mind, your body goes through a +- change of 2 pounds per day. So usually best to do it at same time. Best is normally in the morning for check in before you eat anything. Also, doing it on hard wood floors/etc is best too.

Btw: Does anyone else's Fit Meter randomly beep a short song to you? Why does it do that?

zigg

As someone who's lost a ton of weight, I definitely recommend not weighing yourself every day, it'll drive you mad eventually. Once a week, on the same day, before you eat or drink, and naked if you can is the best way. :)
That's another strategy, but you could still throw yourself off if on week one you were down 1 and week two up 1 due to noise—an entire week's worth of healthy weight loss can easily disappear in that window, potentially discouraging you.

I prefer to have lots of data points and apply the Power of Math™ instead.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep, keep in mind, your body goes through a +- change of 2 pounds per day. So usually best to do it at same time. Best is normally in the morning for check in before you eat anything. Also, doing it on hard wood floors/etc is best too.

Btw: Does anyone else's Fit Meter randomly beep a short song to you? Why does it do that?

I asked this on twitter and the consensus was that it plays a tune when you reach your step goals.

Top Bottom