• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

Elider

Holy snap.

How on Earth am I supposed to pull off the Triangle and Downward-Facing Dog Poses? I always though I was pretty decent at them, but Mirror Mode tells me otherwise.

I mean, getting the form is doable with some effort, and getting the correct weight distribution is quite easy... but getting the correct weight distribution WHILE KEEPING the right form is completely impossible! What am I doing wrong?

Chorazin

Holy snap.

How on Earth am I supposed to pull off the Triangle and Downward-Facing Dog Poses? I always though I was pretty decent at them, but Mirror Mode tells me otherwise.

I mean, getting the form is doable with some effort, and getting the correct weight distribution is quite easy... but getting the correct weight distribution WHILE KEEPING the right form is completely impossible! What am I doing wrong?

Downward Dog is pretty easy, just keep your ass up in the air! In traditional Yoga, you put more weight on your legs in DD, but here they use your arms which does make it a smidge harder.

Triangle is just gonna take practice. I've been doing Yoga for a month now and that pose still gives me trouble. Don't be afraid to bend your front knee if you can't keep it stretched out now, that'll come in time.

Ordered a couple of fit meters from TRU... Wish I'd had them for my run to work this morning though...

Quick question for the folks who have one, can you add in any weight you're carrying on a run? I had a 20lbs pack on my back this morning...

Are there any changes to the snowball fight game? I wanna take my FPS skills to the next level.

Indeed - it has an "Extra" mode that removes the cover and you need to dodge the incoming projectiles. Almost all the balance games have a new Extra mode.

Quick question for the folks who have one, can you add in any weight you're carrying on a run? I had a 20lbs pack on my back this morning...

Unfortunately not. You could add some extra fit credits manually in the game for it though.

Elider

Downward Dog is pretty easy, just keep your ass up in the air! In traditional Yoga, you put more weight on your legs in DD, but here they use your arms which does make it a smidge harder.

Well, that's what I've been doing, but then I see my form is not as straight as my trainer's (more like a sloppy arch), and if I do manage to straighten out my back and arms into that A shape, my weight shifts to the feet.

By the way, I cannot bend my front leg quite as much as I'm supposed to in the Warrior pose: my knee always ends up straight above my heel, while it should be above my toes.

Mirror mode is giving me all sorts of problems. But that's fine, I guess, now I have something to strive towards. A shame I need to move around the Gamepad to see myself from the best angle for each pose, though -- and some poses make it wholly impossible to see the mirror anyway.

Chorazin

Well, that's what I've been doing, but then I see my form is not as straight as my trainer's (more like a sloppy arch), and if I do manage to straighten out my back and arms into that A shape, my weight shifts to the feet.

By the way, I cannot bend my front leg quite as much as I'm supposed to in the Warrior pose: my knee always ends up straight above my heel, while it should be above my toes.

Mirror mode is giving me all sorts of problems. But that's fine, I guess, now I have something to strive towards. A shame I need to move around the Gamepad to see myself from the best angle for each pose, though -- and some poses make it wholly impossible to see the mirror anyway.

Kepe you back straight, that's the best recommendation I can give for now. Also, you don't need to have your heels on the ground when you start, it's ok to be on your toes. :)

bumpkin

Man, I was all ready to carry my Fit Meter with me this morning when I realized that it apparently has to be sync'ed with the game before it'll work. I know this isn't "news" to anyone; thought I saw something about it a few pages back. Guess I was hoping the situation was different. I do find it kind of silly that the device can't just work autonomously -- store the data for later transfer -- until that time though.

Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Exile20

Man, I was all ready to carry my Fit Meter with me this morning when I realized that it apparently has to be sync'ed with the game before it'll work. I know this isn't "news" to anyone; thought I saw something about it a few pages back. Guess I was hoping the situation was different. I do find it kind of silly that the device can't just work autonomously -- store the data for later transfer -- until that time though.

Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

I guess it has to load your mii onto the device first.

It also stops people from changing more than one trial version into full versions. They need to lock the fit meter to your Wii Fit U first.

One note so far, the elevation data is amazingly accurate. It makes the elation data on my other tracker look like a joke. The Wii Fit tracker's elevation data is totally smooth and I can absolutely tell where I am at different times of the day based on elevation. The elevation on my iPhone app tracker is always an erratic mess that roughly approximates my changes in elevation.

Hm, I've found the opposite to be true so far, unless I'm misreading the data. I climb several staircases at work each day and the fit meter has calculated very minimal altitude changes, in the range of 1 metre when I've clearly climbed far more than that. My son ran up and down our staircase all day long when he first got his fit meter this weekend and it didn't add up to anything significant. I attributed it to the weather and changes in atmospheric pressure, but maybe I'm missing something else?

Try widening your stance a bit more so that your weight shifts to your hips. That will allow you to bend your knee more. You should get a feel for it eventually.

Redberyl

Neo Member
Snagged the last Fit Meter at my local Fred Meyer today, just a heads up for anyone in the NW US they have a coupon for 10% off "Video Game Accessories" in their electronics salespaper, and today if you get an old person to pay for it you get an extra 9% off (10% Senior Discount).

They also had a bunch of the Mario and Luigi controllers in stock, got 1 of each.

Tom_Cody

Hm, I've found the opposite to be true so far, unless I'm misreading the data. I climb several staircases at work each day and the fit meter has calculated very minimal altitude changes, in the range of 1 metre when I've clearly climbed far more than that. My son ran up and down our staircase all day long when he first got his fit meter this weekend and it didn't add up to anything significant. I attributed it to the weather and changes in atmospheric pressure, but maybe I'm missing something else?
Hmm. I don't know.

What I'm referring to specifically is matching the elevation data on the graph against my location throughout the day. I live on the tenth floor of my apartment building and I work on the second floor of my factory building and you can clearly see where I am at different times of the day and when I have taken the elevator versus when I have taken the stairs. I have also been able to see that different parts of the city (NYC) are at subtly different relative elevations.

I bike over 3 bridges to get to work so I will be interested to see how this elevation is depicted when I get home tonight and load that data in for the first time.

Bog

Junior Ace
How do I change the time on my Meter? Stupid clocks getting turned back a DAY after the game came out.

Berordn

Apologies if this is a common topic, but where's everyone getting the Wii Fit Meter from? Gamestop doesn't carry it, and no Walmart, Target or Best Buy in a 60 mile radius has it in stock.

adroit

And when you change the time, Balancey will complain that you've travelled back in time and suggest you make a new profile.
It's like Animal Crossing: don't start the game for an hour after you set your clock back. That way it doesn't think you're time traveling.

Apologies if this is a common topic, but where's everyone getting the Wii Fit Meter from? Gamestop doesn't carry it, and no Walmart, Target or Best Buy in a 60 mile radius has it in stock.

In most regions (bar Canada it seems) - online is your best option, Amazon sell it, and Gamestop are selling it as an online only item right now

Eric C

I got mine from Amazon.com

Nintendo made this image
gKgVMXY.png

gotee12

My meter was not accurately measuring altitude either until I reset it (at least I assume what I did was a reset).

With the meter showing the altitude graph, I held down the left and right arrow buttons at the same time until the device beeped and the graph cleared.

Every since then, I've been much happier in the results in altitude measurement.

I synced last night and it's still off. :-/

Are you sure the time on your Wii U is correct? Like I said, I had to update it manually after the time change.

My meter was not accurately measuring altitude either until I reset it (at least I assume what I did was a reset).

With the meter showing the altitude graph, I held down the left and right arrow buttons at the same time until the device beeped and the graph cleared.

Every since then, I've been much happier in the results in altitude measurement.

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

Lunzio

Forgive my ignorance, but has anybody posted a review of the fit meter yet? Would love to hear some impressions before jumping in. My main concern is that you actually have to wear it on your belt? Is that problem? Part of the appeal to me of the fitbit stuff is that it was a sleek device that didn't look silly while wearing it.

GulAtiCa

Anyone notice the temperature unit on the wii fit meter isn't really accurate? Maybe cause I'm inside?.. but also says like high 80s, when it's mostly low 70s, high 60s inside.. lol

Chairhome

Forgive my ignorance, but has anybody posted a review of the fit meter yet? Would love to hear some impressions before jumping in. My main concern is that you actually have to wear it on your belt? Is that problem? Part of the appeal to me of the fitbit stuff is that it was a sleek device that didn't look silly while wearing it.

I have a fitbit that I usually wear on my belt, but I'm too embarrassed to wear this one on my belt. I keep it in my pocket and it seems to track my data fine. Honestly, I feel like the fitbit is obviously the more accurate, but the fit meter is pretty fun to use with the game.

Chorazin

Like any pedometer, it'll work best the closer it is to your hip, but it'll work just fine in your jeans pocket. :)

Once I get mine today, I'm gonna be documenting how it compares to my FitBit One after I'm able to use it for a few days.

Lunzio

I have a fitbit that I usually wear on my belt, but I'm too embarrassed to wear this one on my belt. I keep it in my pocket and it seems to track my data fine. Honestly, I feel like the fitbit is obviously the more accurate, but the fit meter is pretty fun to use with the game.

Like any pedometer, it'll work best the closer it is to your hip, but it'll work just fine in your jeans pocket. :)

Once I get mine today, I'm gonna be documenting how it compares to my FitBit One after I'm able to use it for a few days.

Thank you so much! I look forward to hearing more about it.

I've been genuinely interested in FitBit over the last few months, but the price has been a little daunting. Glad to hear that this device is fairly accurate even when in your pocket!

Is there anyway to turn off all of the chatter before and after exercises? I spend more time in navigating these things than I do exercising.

Pre-exercise you are constantly forced to pick up/put down the gamepad to cycle through repeated instructions. Post exercise you are forced to sift through various high score menus before being asked if you want to post your results to miiverse. I have tried out all of the various routine modes and there seems to be no way to escape this.

Is there a way to set up a routine that simply drops you in and out of exercises without the need for the gamepad?

Like others have mentioned it is hardly sleek. I toss it in my pocket and it seems to do a fine job as a pedometer. I will say though that whatever calculations it uses to estimate calories burned is waaaaaaay off. It seems to overestimate calories burned in a big way.

gotee12

It is really weird, I am on the 7th floor and it says altitude 18ft and the temperature is 87.6 F.
One thing I have learned about the altitude measurement is that it's relative to a certain point in time. I've noticed that it will reset the altitude to zero if I've been stationary for over an hour. (This is not the same kind of "reset" I alluded to a few posts up.) The altimeter is really just keeping up with altitude changes relative to the last zeroing out. It could be that the "7th floor" is just 18ft above the point at which it last zeroed itself out. I've watched going up and down flights of stairs and the relative change in altitude has been pretty dang close to perfect for me.

Lunzio

Like others have mentioned it is hardly sleek. I toss it in my pocket and it seems to do a fine job as a pedometer. I will say though that whatever calculations it uses to estimate calories burned is waaaaaaay off. It seems to overestimate calories burned in a big way.

Not too surprising! Most equipment (even in the gym) manage to overestimate. Of course there's no actual way of telling how many calories I've burned, but the numbers on some of my runs seem way too high.

L~A

And when you change the time, Balancey will complain that you've travelled back in time and suggest you make a new profile.

Really? But how are you supposed to do when you switch to DST? Oh well, it's not really a problem, since it doesn't force anything.

Chorazin

It is probably including the calories you're burning just to stay alive, which is a suprising amount. :)

Lexxism

Anyone notice the temperature unit on the wii fit meter isn't really accurate? Maybe cause I'm inside?.. but also says like high 80s, when it's mostly low 70s, high 60s inside.. lol

I had the same problem. I went outside on Sunday and it was 2C. I checked my fit meter and it says around 29-30C :lol

Really? I never had the issue when I changed my time last Sunday.

NeoRausch

jesus Christ, how many outfits are there?

I thought it was only the one row of hangers.
now I have three rows with eight hangers each.

does every game provide an outfit?

I want my chicken outfit!

Shauni

I wasn't going to get this, mainly because I sold my Wii Fit and the balance board, but I decided to give it a go anyway. I have someone I can share the balance board with, so I might as well give it a go. I've been looking for a good warm up work before I go to the gym for a full work out. Since this will technically only cost me $19.99, figure it was worth a go. But I'm seeing pretty much all the online stores have this listed as out of stock right now.

Top Bottom