• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

Coketruck

Since the only Toys R Us within 50 miles has no idea what I'm talking about when I ask about the Fit Meter (and the other retail stores don't exist near Florida), I'm going to try going by other TRU's in other cities while I'm traveling on business tomorrow.

Why Nintendo made it so friggin' frustrating to get one of these things, I'll never know.

Somnid

I don't know if I want to get this because I already have a Kinect and have Your Shape 2012. I'm under the impression that the balance board, and thus Wii Fit U, is a downgrade from what I already have. Is this true?

Also, does the Fit Meter record for only 1 day max? What is the max amount of days it can record without syncing to the Wii U?

Very different approaches to the same thing. Wii Fit is a fitness lifestyle game, not necessarily an exercise game. It's more about having fun and tracking your progress than simply trying to make you do real-world workouts. Also the balance board is a very high precision (literally a lot of games deal with balance and shifts in weight) and of course tracks weight whereas kinect is about movement.

gogoud

Since the only Toys R Us within 50 miles has no idea what I'm talking about when I ask about the Fit Meter (and the other retail stores don't exist near Florida), I'm going to try going by other TRU's in other cities while I'm traveling on business tomorrow.

Why Nintendo made it so friggin' frustrating to get one of these things, I'll never know.

they'll be a lot easier to get when wii fit u officially comes out. what we got now is early access. getting fit meter is going to be harder and a lot easier to get it on line. come december when wii fit u comes out it should be in every store on every shelf.

NateDrake

The Fit Meter tracks steps even while in Sleep Mode, right? Or do I need to wake it up? I walk a lot between classes and tomorrow is my longest day (hr/walk wise).

Exile20

Very different approaches to the same thing. Wii Fit is a fitness lifestyle game, not necessarily an exercise game. It's more about having fun and tracking your progress than simply trying to make you do real-world workouts. Also the balance board is a very high precision (literally a lot of games deal with balance and shifts in weight) and of course tracks weight whereas kinect is about movement.

I do not know man. Some of those exercises are tough.

I don't know if I want to get this because I already have a Kinect and have Your Shape 2012. I'm under the impression that the balance board, and thus Wii Fit U, is a downgrade from what I already have. Is this true?

Also, does the Fit Meter record for only 1 day max? What is the max amount of days it can record without syncing to the Wii U?

Look at the website and see if it fancies you. http://wiifitu.nintendo.com/

Somnid

I do not know man. Some of those exercises are tough.

Of course, it's there to provide things that work you and some do more than others and in particular ways but it's not trying to be an exercise class/gym replacement which is how the competition seems to align itself.

Exile20

Of course, it's there to provide things that work you and some do more than others and in particular ways but it's not trying to be an exercise class/gym replacement which is how the competition seems to align itself.

Oh okay I get you. I just saw the Your Shape 2012 trailer.

PogiJones

Banned
If the trial expires before I get the Fit Meter (it's out of stock right now on Amazon), can I still sync it for the full version after that point? Or do I have to sync it during the running 31-day trial of my particular app?

I read the OP and the past few pages, and I didn't see an answer to this, so forgive me if I missed it.

I've gone through enough of the various sets of fitness games (EA Sport Active/Active 2 on Wii, Wii Fit, YourShape on Kinect), and I can say that in theory the can complement each other quite well. Your Shape works OK for some of the cardio routines, but is definitely weaker on the strength training stuff that is in Wii Fit U. I feel that the kinect sometimes also fails to catch what you're doing and just fails to track actual improvement, but Wii Fit seems to complain less about it.

If the trial expires before I get the Fit Meter (it's out of stock right now on Amazon), can I still sync it for the full version after that point? Or do I have to sync it during the running 31-day trial of my particular app?

I read the OP and the past few pages, and I didn't see an answer to this, so forgive me if I missed it.

I would also like to know this!!

Lexxism

I would also like to know this!!

Yes. The trial version is there to let people experience the game. If, by any chance you like the game, that's when you are going to buy the Wii Fit Meter to get the full game without worrying the trial period.

edit: If I get it correct, you can only download the free trial from Nov 1st to Jan 31st. Once Feb comes, it will be remove on the eshop and will be replace by the digital version game. As stated in the OP, you can activate the game any time you want as long as you were able to download the trial game between Nov 1st to Jan 31st.

Haines

Banned
The fit meter is easily available at Best Buy and Future Shop for Canadians.

I just wanted people to see that. With all the fuss in USA, I was worried, but it was incredibly easy to find plenty of them in those two stores.

Anyways, wanted to tire myself out before bed so played some of the WiiFit games. The trampoline killed my legs, but i was probably over doing the motion. They were sore as heck. The luge killed my abs during it. Wow are these games rough on the body this time round'.

They also have a new paddle ball type game in the cardio type section, dont miss that one guys.

Yes. The trial version is there to let people experience the game. If, by any chance you like the game, that's when you are going to buy the Wii Fit Meter to get the full game without worrying the trial period.

edit: If I get it correct, you can only download the free trial from Nov 1st to Jan 31st. Once Feb comes, it will be remove on the eshop and will be replace by the digital version game. As stated in the OP, you can activate the game any time you want as long as you were able to download the trial game between Nov 1st to Jan 31st.

Thank you!

mstevens

Man.. I'm waiting until Dec 13th to get the physical disc + meter + balance board, but this wait is killing me. Hope the miiverse communities stay strong.

Man.. I'm waiting until Dec 13th to get the physical disc + meter + balance board, but this wait is killing me. Hope the miiverse communities stay strong.

May I ask why? You can get a used board and fit meter for $40 total??

Plus the digital game makes it easy to use every day.

Chairhome

I live in orlando, I bought mine in altamonte springs. It helps if you bring it up on the site or mobile site so they can look up the item number in the system.

_------------
Played a little more today, holy crap there's locking! I've done some locking before and these lessons are pretty legit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The fit meter is easily available at Best Buy and Future Shop for Canadians.

I just wanted people to see that. With all the fuss in USA, I was worried, but it was incredibly easy to find plenty of them in those two stores.
Is this in store only? I can't find it on the website. Hopefully EB gets their stock of the Meters on Monday either way.

PogiJones

Banned

Awesome, thanks!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Each Wii U profile should be able to choose 12- or 24-hour time, date format, and British Imperial or metric units of measure.

Get with the program, Nintendo. This is not rocket science.
Or if not, you should be able to change the settings in the game itself. What if you are a British person living in the US and you want everything in "stone"? You're basically SOL... and it makes no sense.

Open the game and you'll see the slide for community. That's where you are going to join.

Quote the OP. There's two community, one for EU and NA.

PS. Community is region-locked btw :lol
Yeah, I tried joining the EU one and no go. lol
And for some reason, I thought it was a MiiVerse thing, so I couldn't find it!

scurker

Is there a way to reset your goals?

The first time I took the daily test, the board screwed up and had my weight as 0. I thought if I would retake the test, it would let me reset my goal but it only let me set my new wait but not the goal, and it thinks that I want a goal of BMI 0.

adroit

Or if not, you should be able to change the settings in the game itself. What if you are a British person living in the US and you want everything in "stone"? You're basically SOL... and it makes no sense.
Yup, by "Wii U profile" I just meant that each user of the game should be able to have their own units and time settings.

And I forgot about stone. So pounds and kilograms are not enough. Gotta have stone too! :D

So does Wii Fit U in the UK use stone? And kilograms elsewhere in Europe?

Bullza2o

I've gone through enough of the various sets of fitness games (EA Sport Active/Active 2 on Wii, Wii Fit, YourShape on Kinect), and I can say that in theory the can complement each other quite well. Your Shape works OK for some of the cardio routines, but is definitely weaker on the strength training stuff that is in Wii Fit U. I feel that the kinect sometimes also fails to catch what you're doing and just fails to track actual improvement, but Wii Fit seems to complain less about it.

Okay thanks guys for the in-depth explanation! The game looks interesting, but I don't have a balance board nor an additional storage drive for my Basic Wii U.

According to the manual it can record about 7 days worth of METs/Altitude data and about 28 days of steps/calories data. After that it will start deleting the oldest data until you sync it.

oti

Banned
Is it ok to post Challenges here?

Come and get me.

[Puzzle Squash, advanced]

zlCfzRLS-j8OFT9mFn

Had some friends over yesterday and we played some multy-player wii fit U. Great fun, except for one thing:
You can't add an existing Mii (from the console) to Wii fit U as a guest it seems, so any friend that wants to joind the fun with his Mii has to be set as a user Mii on the console first.
Please tell me I'm missing something.

Had some friends over yesterday and we played some multy-player wii fit U. Great fun, except for one thing:
You can't add an existing Mii (from the console) to Wii fit U as a guest it seems, so any friend that wants to joind the fun with his Mii has to be set as a user Mii on the console first.
Please tell me I'm missing something.

Thought Guest mode allowed for this? It's right under new user on the plaza menu.

8bit

Knows the Score
Yup, by "Wii U profile" I just meant that each user of the game should be able to have their own units and time settings.

And I forgot about stone. So pounds and kilograms are not enough. Gotta have stone too! :D

So does Wii Fit U in the UK use stone? And kilograms elsewhere in Europe?

Yes, annoyingly. I'm in Switzerland but have the country set to the UK so the store is in English. Might as well have the measurements in hands and cubits or something as lbs & stones are meaningless to me. I can keep switching the country to get kgs but it means the store doesn't work.

L~A

Ok, tried Wii Fit U a bit this morning, did a few exercises, activated the full version of the game (which is still shown as "Promo" in the Wii U menu, will probably get updated when the trial version is removed).

Will join the EU community (since my Wii U us European) later today.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Joined the EU community yesterday, did a few exercises. I'm trying to tone and improve form because I'm in already in good shape. I quite like what I am seeing so far, though the Fitmeter doesn't register steps on runs very well, I don't think. Mind you, most pedometers don't seem to.

Robin64

I was all "Jogging on the spot? This is going to be easy!" and then I tried it and got tired halfway and ended up getting one star.

I also think doing it barefoot didn't help. Might wear my trainers next time.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
So how much will this cost without the pedometer? I don't feel like I really have a use for one. I have a heart rate monitor and gps on my phone for runs/hikes. Don't need another gadget at this point! But would like to use the Wii Fit U games, and have it track my weight over time. I have the balance board from Wii Fit but it has been unused since I got my Wii U and replaced my Wii using the very same component cables and sensor bar from my Wii. Been too lazy to transfer my save and boot up the original Wii Fit.

syoaran

I was all "Jogging on the spot? This is going to be easy!" and then I tried it and got tired halfway and ended up getting one star.

haha yeah, it's really tough at times > <

I like the wiifit meter a lot as I do a lot of walking and jogging during my day. It will be interesting to see how it reads time at the gym, and how much data from a gym run I can input into Wii Fit in order to get a complete picture of my exercise routine.

So how much will this cost without the pedometer? I don't feel like I really have a use for one. I have a heart rate monitor and gps on my phone for runs/hikes. Don't need another gadget at this point! But would like to use the Wii Fit U games, and have it track my weight over time. I have the balance board from Wii Fit but it has been unused since I got my Wii U and replaced my Wii using the very same component cables and sensor bar from my Wii. Been too lazy to transfer my save and boot up the original Wii Fit.

They haven't given a price for the solus game. The demo will only last 31 days and whilst you don't need to pedometer, I can imagine that the digital download of the full game will be more than the £/$20 the peripheral will cost. Currently you can preorder the game and pedometer for £50 on Amazon which suggests a £30 retail price for the game.

Sendou

What I find is curious that if you decide to go faster than the game suggest it actually punishes you. I ended up gotting one star too when I tried to go as fast as possible.

BooJoh

I'm running into Obese territory by my BMI readings but my Fit Age is my actual real age. So... I don't need the exercise, right? :p

I think that just means you're not doing terribly well on the balance tests? My Fit Age is consistently around 10 years below my actual age.

But it might not be as big of a difference if you're under 30.

zigg

Does the demo start when you first boot the game, or when you downloaded it?

I pulled it down Friday night but have yet to boot it. Figured I'd save it for tomorrow morning's weigh-in.
Looks like it does indeed start when you first boot. Which is good.

But I have a far more serious question now. My Routine seems to have suffered a serious downgrade (and I'm not talking about forcing me through demos of the exercises on first try with this software, which Wii Fit Plus never did if I'd already done it in Wii Fit! I'm also not talking about the trainer's look, but seriously, ugh.)

After each exercise I'm now scored and have to tap A through the trainer's dialogue. In Wii Fit Plus, if I was using My Routine, exercises would move from one to the other with no interaction whatsoever. Dialogs (like "don't fall and break your neck doing this pose!") would dismiss themselves automatically after a few seconds. It all worked very well and I feel like I've taken a huge step backward here.

Someone please tell me this goes away. Otherwise, I think I'm gonna have to bail on U… I'd be fine with scoring (and that'd actually be nice to see) as long as it dismisses itself.

kitsuneyo

There's a ton of tweaks and improvements that need to be made with this. Would be nice if Nintendo treated the trial period as a beta, asked for our feedback and updated the software in time for the proper launch. Wishful thinking though.

Robin64

Retailers are so clueless about the Fit Meter. Been checking out tweets to various ones where people ask if they have it and the responses are usually dumb. Sainsbury's responded with "It's not out yet but you can preoder it here!" with a link to the Game + Fit Meter bundle.

Ordered from Nintendo UK in the end.

cacildo

The user made communities should have its posts integrated into the game, like read and post replies without having to go to the miiverse....

I finally found the us-gaf community on miiverse. Nobody went there to post anything. The only posts are the first ones (when you enter the community) and the automatic ones (when you reach a goal or something)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Looks like it does indeed start when you first boot. Which is good.

But I have a far more serious question now. My Routine seems to have suffered a serious downgrade (and I'm not talking about forcing me through demos of the exercises on first try with this software, which Wii Fit Plus never did if I'd already done it in Wii Fit! I'm also not talking about the trainer's look, but seriously, ugh.)

After each exercise I'm now scored and have to tap A through the trainer's dialogue. In Wii Fit Plus, if I was using My Routine, exercises would move from one to the other with no interaction whatsoever. Dialogs (like "don't fall and break your neck doing this pose!") would dismiss themselves automatically after a few seconds. It all worked very well and I feel like I've taken a huge step backward here.

Someone please tell me this goes away. Otherwise, I think I'm gonna have to bail on U… I'd be fine with scoring (and that'd actually be nice to see) as long as it dismisses itself.

So pushing a button a couple times would cause you to give up? Wow.

Robin64

I finally found the us-gaf community on miiverse. Nobody went there to post anything. The only posts are the first ones (when you enter the community) and the automatic ones (when you reach a goal or something)

Heh, really? The EU one is used fairly often. ;)

kitsuneyo

The user made communities should have its posts integrated into the game, like read and post replies without having to go to the miiverse...

Yeah I expected it to work the same as Nintendo Land, where posts pop up at the end of each round. How long have they been working on this thing, 2 years?

Robin64

Anyone been noting down what you need to do to get the various costumes? Would nice to get a comprehensive list.

Top Bottom