• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

It is nice that they found to reduce the cost of the technology so it can be sold in third world countries.

Burn! Just kidding Canada! Your dollar is worth more than ours.

FyreWulff

Ahahaha that menu looks so empty. Having the normal Wii menu is stupid considering there's just going to be nothing to put in the channels. They could have made a nice menu system similar to the GameCube but nope.

It has to stay that way since discs can install channels.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Haha they definitely should have changed the menu:

dsc04804.jpg

I love the look of the console, just such a shame the functionality is so butchered.

Should have just booted straight into game tbh

Why is it rage inducing?

Because it demonstrates not a single fuck was given to optimize a decent user experience?

Drago

So would it be possible to put the homebrew channel on this, or is an SD slot necessary? There is just one USB port... I'm not too well versed in how this stuff works :/

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Because it demonstrates not a single fuck was given to optimize a decent user experience?

What needed to be optimized? Move cursor to channel, push button.

So would it be possible to put the homebrew channel on this, or is an SD slot necessary? There is just one USB port... I'm not too well versed in how this stuff works :/

If hackers care enough, some workarounds will need to be discovered to get the thing to load something from outside.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Man, that's not much bigger than the TurboGrafx CD-rom module.

I really, really wish they'd give this same treatment to the Gamecube hardware... with its mini-discs and lower clocked chipset, I bet you could make a tiny console.

netBuff

No Skyward Sword patch channel? Ouch. So if you want to fix that game you have to send the entire console to Nintendo?

Unless an ability to patch Skyward Sword is otherwise integrated into the system, this is a pretty strange decision, considering the severity of the issue an the fact that the Zelda series is very popular.

Biff

What needed to be optimized? Move cursor to channel, push button.

Come on dude. You can't tell me it doesn't look bad/lazy that Nintendo didn't have one of its engineers spend an hour removing the excess bubbles and just making 3 large bubbles in the middle.

Nintendo is selling this as a product with their brand name on it.. Brand image matters in this industry.

Again, Wii Fit Channel could be installed without the need of any internet connection.

Also, this brings a new problem: any owners of this won't be able to migrate the system to Wii U,

Eusis

And I thought the lack of internet was bad:

Our main gripe is that component video output doesn't appear to work; we've asked Nintendo if there's any compatibility changes, but for now we'd stick to old-fashioned RCA. The company does offer help finding a component cable on its product page.
... Just how absurdly frugal can Nintendo be? Actually, this is looking less like frugality and more straight up insanity, maybe that's why it's limited to Canada. Shame, as I really do like the design, I just wish it had all the features the GC-less Wii had at the least.

And I thought the lack of internet was bad:

... Just how absurdly frugal can Nintendo be? Actually, this is looking less like frugality and more straight up insanity, maybe that's why it's limited to Canada. Shame, as I really do like the design, I just wish it had all the features the GC-less Wii had at the least.
So this is in line with the Gamecube reduction back then, with the removal of the 480Component support and the Network ports.

Camp Lo

Banned
Why is it rage inducing?

They stripped out the heart of the damn system and instead of optimizing the stripped down system with a more simplistic UI, they said fuck you and kept the same UI with no functionality whatso-fucking-ever.

It's lazy, overpriced, unnecessary, and that is rage inducing.

Again, Wii Fit Channel could be installed without the need of any internet connection.

Also, this brings a new problem: any owners of this won't be able to migrate the system to Wii U,
Without internet the only thing they'd be migrating would be game saves...not really that important.

iphys

Re: The Skyward Sword fix, I went from the Wii Mini page to the featured game - Skyward Sword page. On that page, they link to the fix. After using the channel, there's this part"

"If your Wii console is not connected to the Internet, we are able to repair your saved data. For information on how to send your save data to Nintendo, please call 1-800-255-3700."

Was this always an option? Does this mean people will be sending their Wii Mini's into Nintendo for their Skyward Sword save to be fixed?

Source:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sy...nu=lozss&submenu=rvl-ts-game-lozss-quest-info

Lol, and I bet the non-Internet option involves copying your save file to SD to send it to Nintendo. There's no way it makes any sense to have to send your Wii to Nintendo to have them take it apart to fix it. If they haven't built some sort of invisible patch into this system, good grief.

AndyboyH

Neo Member
My friend in Montreal's picking one up for me from futureshop tomorrow, getting it for £75 (after sales tax + stuff) and free delivery. :) I'm not excited for it, but it'll be good to add it to the collection. And I like the styling of it. :)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
So... when is someone going to do a tear-down of this hardware?

Eusis

So this is in line with the Gamecube reduction back then, with the removal of the 480Component support and the Network ports.
Except for its time that was more akin to the reductions made with the PS1 or PS2, features that either only a few games supported or very few people took advantage of, not to mention they were removing ports. Internet matters to Wii far more than it did for either GC or PS2, and at least with digital distribution trumps the Xbox, and damn near everyone has an HDTV these days while the component's integrated into the same A/V port as composite/s-video. These kinds of cuts in a modern system are insane, especially with the Wii U jumping on HD fully.

xclaw

As a non Wii owner and a Futureshop gift card burning a hole in my pocket I almost want to pick one up just for the Mario titles. Hrmmmmm........ This will still look like turd on a 1080p TV right?

Alchemy

As a non Wii owner and a Futureshop gift card burning a hole in my pocket I almost want to pick one up just for the Mario titles. Hrmmmmm........ This will still look like turd on a 1080p TV right?

480p at best, so yes. Wii games are pixelated messes on HDTVs.

MarkusRJR

Wait, is it confirmed there's no component support? I mean the component cable goes into the same slot as the composite cable. It's not like the GC where there were 2 different video out ports. I was planning to get this just for the red remote + nunchuck (and as a spare Wii for my big TV downstairs) but if it truly doesn't have component out I don't think I'll pick it up.

You know what I'd like to see though? A super small Wii with the disc drive removed and a bunch more storage space. They could call it the Nintendo Virtual Console and market it as a way to play "all the classics". I'd imagine it'd sell infinitely more than the Wii Mini will too.

Wait, is it confirmed there's no component support? I mean the component cable goes into the same slot as the composite cable. It's not like the GC where there were 2 different video out ports.

The SNES 2 uses the same AV port at the SNES, but unlike the original SNES it cannot do S-Video or RGB. Just because the port is the same, doesn't mean the console's ability to render video is the same. Just like how the USB port cannot be used for an Ethernet adapter, Nintendo stripped Component video internally to save on manufacturing costs.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Gahiggidy

Except for its time that was more akin to the reductions made with the PS1 or PS2, features that either only a few games supported or very few people took advantage of, not to mention they were removing ports. Internet matters to Wii far more than it did for either GC or PS2, and at least with digital distribution trumps the Xbox, and damn near everyone has an HDTV these days while the component's integrated into the same A/V port as composite/s-video. These kinds of cuts in a modern system are insane, especially with the Wii U jumping on HD fully.
Yes, in the U.S. but is that also true for Canada?

PhantomR

Banned
You people aren't getting it. This thing will be a MASSIVE collectible. I want one really bad but I can't find a Canadian retailer that will ship to U.S. addresses. These will be limited quantity and will be worth a lot later on. Bank on it.

hunnies28

If I could find one near where I live (México) I would buy it just for collecting purposes. But the fact that you cannot even connect to the internet with the usb lan adapter...
I guess one could use it for a couple of local Brawl matches with my friends

isny

napkin dispenser
You people aren't getting it. This thing will be a MASSIVE collectible. I want one really bad but I can't find a Canadian retailer that will ship to U.S. addresses. These will be limited quantity and will be worth a lot later on. Bank on it.

I wonder how many times I have to say I'll ship these to GAF members for cost and shipping before people notice? I guess people just don't read through threads :)

I'm picking one up to sell, and one to keep as a collectible. Though I'll be tempted to open it up and claim the wii remote plus and nunchuck for Wii U usage.

Top Bottom