• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

FyreWulff

Is online confirmed, or are you assuming?

Assuming. They would have had to remove the USB LAN functionality from the firmware for it to not work (since it can be configured at the OS level). It would conflict with their no internet connectivity statement but it'd be weird if they just blacklisted that specific USB device from working.

Assuming. They would have had to remove the USB LAN functionality from the firmware for it to not work (since it can be configured at the OS level). It would conflict with their no internet connectivity statement but it'd be weird if they just blacklisted that specific USB device from working.

Unless the USB LAN adapter was designed to work with networking circuits that got removed.

therapist

Man that is seriously ugly.

So let's see :

No Internet
1 Usb Port
No Gamecube
Barely smaller
Uglier
Costs what , 30$ less?

Fail.

Gilby

Ugh. Why not do the exavt opposite and release a VC-player that lacks a disc drive, comes with a classic controller, is half as small, and only plays downloadable titles? I would strongly consider buying one if that were the case.

I'll probably pick this up. I don't care how it looks, I can't imagine any reason why I'd care if it had an internet connection or not, I don't own any Gamecube games and 1 USB port is all I need. 99 bucks seems like a good price for me.

Yes Boss!

So, any way for folks in the states to order this from a retailer?

I don' know if to wait, or import (ha, sounds funny talking about Canada!).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Looks nice from above, like crap from every other angle. The front of it looks like... nothing. Just angled plastic. Ugly.

No internet is hilarious. All those poor people who are gonna run into the game-breaking Skyward Sword glitch and have no way to fix it (on a proper Wii it can be fixed by downloading a special channel that fixes the save file).

Also, I wonder if this thing even has the regular Wii menu system? There would be nothing to put in all those empty channel spots. You'd just have the Disc Channel and the settings menu, and... what else? Everything else requires an internet connection. It needs to have some sort of menu system to change settings and stuff I guess, but it would be really weird if they left it like it is on the Wii.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So, any way for folks in the states to order this from a retailer?

I don' know if to wait, or import (ha, sounds funny talking about Canada!).

Won't there be a language barrier, or are you fluent in Canadian?

No internet is hilarious. All those poor people who are gonna run into the game-breaking Skyward Sword glitch and have no way to fix it (on a proper Wii it can be fixed by downloading a special channel that fixes the save file).

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even think of that!

Well I kind of like the look of it but it's seriously gimped and it really doesn't look that much smaller than the Wii...love that top loading feature, I have no clear cut reason why, I just like it. If it was a few inches smaller (I wish it were a lovely perfect square), I might buy it for novelty purposes or what not.

iphys

Looks nice from above, like crap from every other angle. The front of it looks like... nothing. Just angled plastic. Ugly.

Also, I wonder if this thing even has the regular Wii menu system? There would be nothing to put in all those empty channel spots. You'd just have the Disc Channel and the settings menu, and... what else? Everything else requires an internet connection. It needs to have some sort of menu system to change settings and stuff I guess, but it would be really weird if they left it like it is on the Wii.

Maybe it comes with disc channel, mii channel, and skyward sword fix channel, lol. I hope there's an invisible patch included for Skyward Sword; otherwise, that would look really awkward.

hongcha

Ugh. Why not do the exavt opposite and release a VC-player that lacks a disc drive, comes with a classic controller, is half as small, and only plays downloadable titles? I would strongly consider buying one if that were the case.

Ditto (as long as it has hdmi output).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
how can people say that it's big? even HUGE?
it's a simple square around the circle of the DVD space...to be smaller they should have changed the format into mini DVD or something like that..

probably the comparison with the Wii doesn't underline a big difference, but that's just because the Wii was already very small.

Ashler

This has got to be the most pointless hardware release of all time, considering the stripped out features and the timing of release.

... And I am going to buy one.

$99 to play emulated games that I can play on my phone/3DS/PSP? Okay.

Pociask

Re: The Skyward Sword fix, I went from the Wii Mini page to the featured game - Skyward Sword page. On that page, they link to the fix. After using the channel, there's this part"

"If your Wii console is not connected to the Internet, we are able to repair your saved data. For information on how to send your save data to Nintendo, please call 1-800-255-3700."

Was this always an option? Does this mean people will be sending their Wii Mini's into Nintendo for their Skyward Sword save to be fixed?

Source:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sy...nu=lozss&submenu=rvl-ts-game-lozss-quest-info

Linkup

I have to say that I really expected this news to come and go. As such Im starting to think Nintendo made a mistake as maybe there is an audience that would have really considered a redesign purchase. That said they haven't explained themselves other than the bs pr.

I would love to see them build a machine that runs/emulates Wii games in 1080p HD. I wouldn't mind no wifi or sd slot.

How much work would that take?
I really have no clue how possible it is but I like the idea.

Would anyone here buy it for $199?

I have to say that I really expected this news to come and go. As such Im starting to think Nintendo made a mistake as maybe there is an audience that would have really considered a redesign purchase. That said they haven't explained themselves other than the bs pr.

I would love to see them build a machine that runs/emulates Wii games in 1080p HD. I wouldn't mind no wifi or sd slot.

How much work would that take?
I really have no clue how possible it is but I like the idea.

Would anyone here buy it for $199?
Probably some here that dont want to dolphin. Others will just do dolphin. 1080p wii games really wont matter to the mainstream at all and would be pretty pointless overall for Nintendo.

DJ88

Some new hands on impressions and photos at Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/06/nintendo-wii-mini-hands-on/
dsc04754.jpg

Haha they definitely should have changed the menu:

dsc04804.jpg

I love the look of the console, just such a shame the functionality is so butchered.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Haha they definitely should have changed the menu:

dsc04804.jpg

I love the look of the console, just such a shame the functionality is so butchered.
Yikes, yeah, that looks pretty bad.

MarkusRJR

Ahahaha that menu looks so empty. Having the normal Wii menu is stupid considering there's just going to be nothing to put in the channels. They could have made a nice menu system similar to the GameCube but nope.

Top Bottom