• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

It's extreme BECAUSE it's precisely intended for the ultra-casual. It's called reductive design, and we've seen it in everything from Mario Tennis 3DS (removal of story mode), to the Wii Mini.

A tiny SD Card slot isn't going to make the "ultra-casual" crap their pants. It hasn't on most products. A majority of them may never use it, but that doesn't mean you should gut it out; especially when it could introduce issues, and limits access to the backwards compatibility feature of the console you literally just released to market.

The only point for a Wii Mini to Wii U transfer would be game saves, and that's a VERY small audience who'd care much about that.

That is true.

FyreWulff

Haha, this is ridicuslous.

So basically, this is Nintendo trying to make major profit off of parents that don't know any better.

They'll be pretty clear about it and won't be making extra sales off WiiWare or anything on these consoles.

If they're about to put the Wii out to pasture infrastructure wise, doesn't make sense to make a revision that you have to support after the box has been opened. And is probably a test case for later countries where they don't really have an infrastructure anyway and need something to be piracy resistant.

Meesh

I was about to sign up for one of these...but wii mini doesn't even support as cards for crying out loud! No can mod, no sale for me.

Mariolee

But there's no reason to go this extreme. You don't have to limit your market for this device just to appeal to that younger audience. Maybe trimming the SD Card reader reduced costs or increased profits a fractional amount (as well as blocked piracy and homebrew, for now), but it creates the possibility for incompatibilities and unforeseen glitches on a mature platform, with no way to correct them aftermarket. And it completely removes the option for a Wii Mini to Wii U transfer. It may not matter to a lot of consumers ultimately, but it's an additional reason for a potential buyer to be told not to purchase this, and it creates an added frustration for the limited audience that will want to use the Wii U's backwards compatibility later down the line, when they decide to pick one up, just to be told they have the "wrong version" of the Wii to do it.

The Wii mini to Wii U thing isn't really too much of a problem since the consumer on this probably won't have much to transfer anyway, but you have a point there.
Where you don't have a point is the creating possibility for incompatibilities stuff, where there is no indication it will be anymore trouble outside of "No SD card detected, try again".

You also are probably underestimating the amount of profits that can be earned by trimming the SD Card reader as well as the GC compatibility and internet connection. I'm almost positive Nintendo has crunched their numbers and found this to be an effective scheme, and even if this doesn't work they still have the Wii profits to fall back on. This is honestly just a way to make a quick buck.

games don't run on the wii mini
Boot up screen

giantreggieface.jpg

So can i just say that the red wii remote looks really nice and I wish Nintendo would sell it standalone instead of exclusively sticking it with Wii SKUs?

border

I can't believe they're actually shipping this without any internet support. Are WiFi chips really that expensive? It seems like the cost alone would be offset by sales from the eShop. This is strangely the opposite of where the industry seems to be going. Google and Amazon sell their Kindle/Nexus tablets at a loss (or at a break-even price) because they assume users will buy their digital content.

Are they including any kind of onboard flash memory? If there's going to be no internet access, I assume that they wouldn't need more than 50MB of space for game saves.

How many Wii owners use the browser? How many buy WiiWare games?

This is for the market that buys a Wii and plays Wii Sports. They don't buy used. They look at the price and buy the cheapest model there is, regardless of value.

I can't believe they're actually shipping this without any internet support. Are WiFi chips really that expensive? It seems like the cost alone would be offset by sales from the eShop. This is strangely the opposite of where the industry seems to be going. Google and Amazon sell their Kindle/Nexus tablets at a loss (or at a break-even price) because they assume users will buy their digital content.

Are they including any kind of onboard flash memory? If there's going to be no internet access, I assume that they wouldn't need more than 50MB of space for game saves.
Include wifi chip

Drop all Virtual Console games to $5

Profit, baby!

So do new copies of Skyward Sword come with the patch already fixed, or are people that buy Zelda and this Wii just straight up shit out of luck?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
this thread's amount of fundamental misunderstanding of consumer culture and just plain projecting of one's sensibilities on imaginary people is so staggering I'm getting vertigo.

Alchemy

MK Wii online is still hugely popular and why would you want to cut off people from the eShop?

This seems to be more for cutting out any possibility of homebrew and thus pirating software like someone said earlier.

I doubt the eShop is a great source of income at this point for Nintendo, and there are costs associated with keeping it up. Nintendo probably wants to phase out the eShop so it can be completely shut down as they move resources to support the Wii U.

This is a long term cheap Wii, probably expected to last far beyond eShop support does. The industry is moving towards digital distribution, but we're talking about an old system where the core audience who would be interested in that already has churned through the product.

I'm sure some game saves can get up there in size, but my guess is it has 2GB of flash on board. Depends on what is sitting around, Nintendo isn't going to custom order small units of flash memory for this thing. That would cost more than just grabbing cheap already made hardware.

DJ88

Something tells me years from now I'll be seeing this thing on a list of the rarest special edition consoles, be worth some crazy amount of money, and I'll be kicking myself for not getting one now.

Honestly, if it had wifi, it would be an instant buy for me. I love the design.

border

This is a long term cheap Wii, probably expected to last far beyond eShop support does. The industry is moving towards digital distribution, but we're talking about an old system where the core audience who would be interested in that already has churned through the product.

I'm thinking more about the Virtual Console stuff though. Where they sell you cheapass ROMs for a 100% profit margin. Any newer stuff on top of that is pure gravy.

Instead of allowing a model that eliminates piracy and pushes margins through the roof, they've designed the hardware to rely on physical distribution......which leaves the backdoor open for piracy, and at the same time slams the door shut on digital distribution that would help to offset the costs of piracy.

I'm sure some game saves can get up there in size, but my guess is it has 2GB of flash on board. Depends on what is sitting around, Nintendo isn't going to custom order small units of flash memory for this thing. That would cost more than just grabbing cheap already made hardware.

Why would it have 2GB of flash memory onboard when the normal Wii (which has access to Virtual Console and eShop) only has 512 MB? If they are going to be cheap about Wifi, I don't see why they would suddenly decide to include 4 times as much storage when most users aren't going to have anything to store.

Liberty4all

Banned
Something tells me years from now I'll be seeing this thing on a list of the rarest special edition consoles, be worth some crazy amount of money, and I'll be kicking myself for not getting one now.

Honestly, if it had wifi, it would be an instant buy for me. I love the design.

I'm broke or I'd pick one up ... Look at the gameboy micro ... I had the same feeling back then u have right now about this ... This console revision is going to be worth $$$$ down the line.

AniHawk

I'm broke or I'd pick one up ... Look at the gameboy micro ... I had the same feeling back then u have right now about this ... This console revision is going to be worth $$$$ down the line.

micro isn't really worth that much, is it? i know there are only about 2m of them, but how much does a sealed north american famicom one go for?

FyreWulff

But there's no reason to go this extreme. You don't have to limit your market for this device just to appeal to that younger audience. Maybe trimming the SD Card reader reduced costs or increased profits a fractional amount (as well as blocked piracy and homebrew, for now), but it creates the possibility for incompatibilities and unforeseen glitches on a mature platform, with no way to correct them aftermarket. And it completely removes the option for a Wii Mini to Wii U transfer. It may not matter to a lot of consumers ultimately, but it's an additional reason for a potential buyer to be told not to purchase this, and it creates an added frustration for the limited audience that will want to use the Wii U's backwards compatibility later down the line, when they decide to pick one up, just to be told they have the "wrong version" of the Wii to do it.

They'll still be able to patch it via updates included on the game discs, the way most people more than likely had their Wiis updated. So it's not exactly something they can't do anything about.

IMO it is not about the costs, at all. WiFi chips are probably $0.10 when bought in bulk.

Wii Mini is just for one thing: NO PIRACY, zero, zip, nada.

Nintendo battled the pirates and finally won: they removed every single way unsigned code can get into the system. Removed PHYSICALLY.

IMO it is not about the costs, at all. WiFi chips are probably $0.10 when bought in bulk.

Wii Mini is just for one thing: NO PIRACY, zero, zip, nada.

Nintendo battled the pirates and finally won: they removed every single way unsigned code can get into the system. Removed PHYSICALLY.

I love how they aimed it directly at Canadians. But Canada is pretty well known for its rampant piracy (I should know, I live here) and leniency towards praters in general, so it is no surprise really why they are doing this. But they are probably also testing the reception of the Wii Mini in Canada before they try pursuing other areas of the world, I would gather. I don't see them leaving this as an "exclusive" in Canada, that would seem very strange.

But the $140 dollar bundle does still exist here anyway, so it is not like they did away with the original Wii model anyway.

Has anyone here actually purchased one of these machines yet? And if so, what are your impressions on the build quality and OS features?

iphys

Oh no, I just started looking around and the regular Wii is disappearing from Canadian web sites, so it looks like these minis are the only thing Nintendo is shipping to Canada now. Maybe I should have seen it as a sign that the regular Wii was being discontinued when I saw it on sale for $100 at Shoppers Drug Mart on the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend. On the bright side if anyone wants to sell their original Wii after getting a Wii U, there might be some actual demand for them now thanks to Nintendo.

OmegaFax

Has Nintendo lost suppliers in the last year for Wii components? Does this have anything to do as a result of Nintendo investigating child labor in their products or other criticisms about where materials are sourced? I'm just wondering if Nintendo is using this Wii as a test bed for alternate manufacturing sources without taking a substantial economic hit.

I get that there's a casual market that doesn't care for WiFi or GameCube backwards compatibility. I just don't see the benefit of revising the Wii like this, especially since it has only been a year since Nintendo revised the Wii with the removal of GC functionality.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Canada is often used as a Test market for companies due to its limited size and representativeness of the western world. Nintendo is definitely testing this concept - which I actually think is their ideal Wii in some sense: a complete, self contained system with no complexity at all, like a box of Monopoly or Scrabble.

Oh no, I just started looking around and the regular Wii is disappearing from Canadian web sites, so it looks like these minis are the only thing Nintendo is shipping to Canada now. Maybe I should have seen it as a sign that the regular Wii was being discontinued when I saw it on sale for $100 at Shoppers Drug Mart on the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend. On the bright side if anyone wants to sell their original Wii after getting a Wii U, there might be some actual demand for them now thanks to Nintendo.

yeah, the old Wii core system has been removed from store shelves just about everywhere in Canada. I can't find one. But some retailers still have the black NSMB Wii bundle in stock:

Future Shop has them in sale for: $149.99
Along with the Wii Mini at $99.99

Wallmart Canada has the Wii Bundle for : $149.99 They don't have any Wii Mini's in stock yet, but one of the above posts says they should this week.

Staples Canada has the Mario Bundle going for: $129.99 (best deal so far) But no Wii Mini's yet.

Best Buy only seems to have the Wii Mini for sale at : $99.99

EDIT: Also missed this:

89 dollars at shoppers drug mart: http://flyers.smartcanucks.ca/canada/shoppers-drug-marton-flyer-dec-1-to-7/single/6

at that price its an impulse by for people buying for kids.

also at shoppers drug msrt if you use your points you can practically get it for free.

I should also add that 89 dollars in Canada will usually buy you alot less than in the US (despite our dollar being on par) ... Meaning that by Canadian standards that is dirt cheap.

$89.99 at Shoppers Drug

If they stop selling the Wii NSMB bundle in Canada, then it looks like your only bet would be to buy an original Wii from across the boarder.

Appleman

Canada is often used as a Test market for companies due to its limited size and representativeness of the western world. Nintendo is definitely testing this concept - which I actually think is their ideal Wii in some sense: a complete, self contained system with no complexity at all, like a box of Monopoly or Scrabble.

Yeah, I actually know a lot of family members that were interested in or bought a Wii when it came out, but even the complexity of the basic menu system and launching games was a little too much (talking about people who need strict lessons to switch input and watch a DVD). This seems to be ideal for that demographic, just pure and simple like the systems pre-Wii

dani_dc

Yeah, I actually know a lot of family members that were interested in or bought a Wii when it came out, but even the complexity of the basic menu system and launching games was a little too much (talking about people who need strict lessons to switch input and watch a DVD). This seems to be ideal for that demographic, just pure and simple like the systems pre-Wii

Seeing as the SD card and WiFi are both optional things and the user is never prompted to use them at any point, I don't see how removing them makes the Wii any simpler of an experience.
The basic menus and launching games works exactly as it did before and your family members would have the same exact experience with the Wii Mini as they did with the Wii.

If they wanted a fully streamlined and self-contained console they should had reduced the menu to an optional experience acessible only via the home button after starting the game, so that users could just put the disc and start playing. As it is, users simply have the same exact experience but with less options (which were hidden to begin with) available.

As others mentioned this is simply a cost saving/anti-piracy move, Nintendo has done similar with the GC (removed the Digital AV port) as well as Sony with the PSP E1000 (no wifi and mono-speakers).

Appleman

Seeing as the SD card and WiFi are both optional things and the user is never prompted to use them at any point, I don't see how removing them makes the Wii any simpler of an experience.
The basic menus and launching games works exactly as it did before and your family members would have the same exact experience with the Wii Mini as they did with the Wii.

If they wanted a fully streamlined and self-contained console they should had reduced the menu to an optional experience acessible only via the home button after starting the game, so that users could just put the disc and start playing. As it is, users simply have the same exact experience but with less options (which were hidden to begin with) available.

As others mentioned this is simply a cost saving/anti-piracy move, Nintendo has done similar with the GC (removed the Digital AV port) as well as Sony with the PSP E1000 (no wifi and mono-speakers).

Are we positive that the Wii mini has the channel style menu system intact? I was under the impression it just launched whatever was in the tray and that was that

Top Bottom