• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

PhantomR

Banned
I wonder how many times I have to say I'll ship these to GAF members for cost and shipping before people notice? I guess people just don't read through threads :)

Then I'll have to slap myself for not paying attention. I did not notice you said that. I'll keep in touch with you via PM, then. :)

btkadams

You people aren't getting it. This thing will be a MASSIVE collectible. I want one really bad but I can't find a Canadian retailer that will ship to U.S. addresses. These will be limited quantity and will be worth a lot later on. Bank on it.

seriously? maybe i should buy one then... how much do you think it will be worth? haha

What needed to be optimized? Move cursor to channel, push button.
It doesn't need to be optimized, but neither did it need to have the other features removed. Making the menu look less barren seems like the easier thing to accomplish.
Aquamarine said:
No Skyward Sword patch channel? Ouch. So if you want to fix that game you have to send the entire console to Nintendo?
Are more recent copies of the game fixed? The ones Nintendo would be hoping to sell new at $20-30?

Zwei

You people aren't getting it. This thing will be a MASSIVE collectible. I want one really bad but I can't find a Canadian retailer that will ship to U.S. addresses. These will be limited quantity and will be worth a lot later on. Bank on it.

VGP ships worldwide, I believe.

Anth0ny

like the micro? its still pretty easy to find for cheap...

Fox Mulder

seriously? maybe i should buy one then... how much do you think it will be worth? haha

the top loader nes goes for like $100 online today, way more in new condition. If you can afford putting a $100 in the closet for a decade or more, why not. At the very least it will be a nice thing to have if you just genuinely enjoy collecting consoles.

I just don't think the Wii will be as retro loved as the NES down the road.

It's kind of a waste. Probably already said but from the top it looks nice, but all the red ruins it.

Why didn't go for something slick like the GBA Micro? Since the thing is gimped to the Nth degree, a cool design will kind of offset that. How hard is to design a decent looking console these days...

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
It's kind of a waste. Probably already said but from the top it looks nice, but all the red ruins it.

Why didn't go for something slick like the GBA Micro? Since the thing is gimped to the Nth degree, a cool design will kind of offset that. How hard is to design a decent looking console these days...

There's really only so much you can do with a system that has a pop-top CD-sized drive. With a handheld you can sort of design around the screen and buttons, and create more of a "face," but with something like this you have to design from the top down because you have this empty face of a lid on the thing, and I don't think Nintendo wants to make another cube.

I don't totally hate the red or the shape. It does look like a styrofoam burger container, but I also think it has a nice little Famicom motif to it that I like.

Marz

I like it.

I'm trying to come up with any excuse whatsoever to get this and the new Neo-Geo handheld but they're both so completely pointless that as a sane individual who currently goes to college there is just no way I can justify it.

netBuff

I like it.

I'm trying to come up with any excuse whatsoever to get this and the new Neo-Geo handheld but they're both so completely pointless that as a sane individual who currently goes to college there is just no way I can justify it.

No Component output makes this a pretty bad version of the Wii.

Marz

Yeah and I already have an OG Wii so it's even more pointless.

Was thinking I could use it as my portable Wii to take with me when I went over to friends to play Smash Bros. but then it doesn't have GC controller suport so there goes that idea.

iphys

I think they specifically wanted to make this look cheap, just to try to differentiate it from the Wii U more and give people more incentive to go with the Wii U instead of this.

I think they specifically wanted to make this look cheap, just to try to differentiate it from the Wii U more and give people more incentive to go with the Wii U instead of this.
I don't see any sense in this, since the devices are in completely different price ranges. I can't see someone wanting a Wii, see the 99 mini looks cheap and then decide to invest 350 on an U. Think about it.

Redesigns are done to save costs but also to invigorate the sales of a product.

In any case the product is "of time". The strategy should've been to bring a nice looking redesign when sales began to spiral, in company of the best games on the system at discounted price and bring those Japan only titles here. That would have been easily done and the Wii would have stayed more relevant for some extra time.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is an odd machine. To buy it, you'd either have to be the most casual gamer ever, or the most hardcore collector nerd ever.

Crazyorloco

Love the size, if it had internet it would be a great gift for families. No internet, makes it a good gift for children (or fans that love collecting video game stuff). Maybe that's the market for this.

CREMSteve

Picked this up today as a Christmas gift for my kids. :)

Also snagged a copy of Super Mario Galaxy.

Why the heck isn't NSMBW cheaper than 60 freaking dollars at this point?!

kunonabi

Wait, is it confirmed there's no component support? I mean the component cable goes into the same slot as the composite cable. It's not like the GC where there were 2 different video out ports. I was planning to get this just for the red remote + nunchuck (and as a spare Wii for my big TV downstairs) but if it truly doesn't have component out I don't think I'll pick it up.

You know what I'd like to see though? A super small Wii with the disc drive removed and a bunch more storage space. They could call it the Nintendo Virtual Console and market it as a way to play "all the classics". I'd imagine it'd sell infinitely more than the Wii Mini will too.

I know a couple of people who would buy a pure Virtual Console machine actually.

Marche90

I would love to snag one of these, just because. Also, it would help so that I could keep one at home and another one at mg parent's house.

Let's see if that's possible, first

jrDev

This whole thing is hilarious to look at...

I love red though...

This is not for functionality. It's a $100 collectors item and great gift for crazy nerds...

PKrockin

No component output doesn't bother me. The Wii and all old consoles look and play like garbage on HDTVs anyway--you should have a $30 CRT to play them properly. How you people stomach the horrendous stretching and input lag, I'll never know.

it should still have the option though

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Saw them all over the place today. No way I'm biting. But I wonder if I'll feel the same way about this than I do that memory of seeing a new-in-box NES top loader for $30 at a Kay Bee Toys 15 years ago... :p

"We have removed the left directional input on the d-pad of the included Wii Remote."
"I don't mind it, it should make my playthroughs of New Super Mario Bros Wii that much more challenging and rewarding!"
"We have also removed the rectangle of pixels drawn from 132, 118 to 210, 142."
"That's only a tiny section of the screen! It's really no trouble!"

I know there are financial reasons behind the real cuts, it's just amusing how brutally they took a hatchet to this thing.

Eusis

Yes, in the U.S. but is that also true for Canada?
It's admittedly an exaggeration even for the US, but Canada's a first world country so I have to assume HDTV adoption is similar there as it is in the US. Failing that, most of the late CRT TVs have component input so as long as you have a TV from the last DECADE you could stand to benefit from component. Killing support for that will make the image a bit weak on SDTVs, and outright bad on HDTVs. I seriously can't imagine the savings would've justified that, but this IS Nintendo, and the other two aren't innocent of this kind of penny pinching. That, as as noted the newer SNES in the US dropped S-Video support, so there's the implication this may spread anyway.
No component output doesn't bother me. The Wii and all old consoles look and play like garbage on HDTVs anyway--you should have a $30 CRT to play them properly. How you people stomach the horrendous stretching and input lag, I'll never know.

Actually, I thought the Wii looked worse on the CRT TVs I had access to than my HDTV. But then both were cheap-ish (one was a very cheap 14 inch TV, the other an OK Sharp), and my HDTV IS an older Sony Bravia with a Game Mode. Only ever had issues with input lag I noticed with rhythm games, preferred the CRT for Guitar Hero 1 and couldn't play Space Channel on PS2 worth a damn at all, but I'm not the best at rhythm games anyway. At any rate progressive scan's supposed to help with input lag, and this IS a cheap system meant to be for more casual consumers who aren't going to want extra TVs around just for older games, especially with how heavy CRTs can be.

What stretching? The Wii supports native widescreen, it doesn't stretch a thing. Some of the VC games will get stretched, but then every HDTV ever made supports a forced 4:3 mode to fix that. And input lag is only noticable in rhythm games, of which most (but unfortunately not all) have a good calibration mode to fix that.

A $30 CRT won't be very good for the Wii, what you want is one that supports component. Not necessarily HDTV component - although HD CRT's using component are the absoute best possible quality for a Wii - but normal SD component. The cable is the same, but SD component is basically taking S-Video and making the colors sharper and more accurate.

PKrockin

What stretching? The Wii supports native widescreen, it doesn't stretch a thing. Some of the VC games will get stretched, but then every HDTV ever made supports a forced 4:3 mode to fix that. And input lag is only noticable in rhythm games, of which most (but unfortunately not all) have a good calibration mode to fix that.

A $30 CRT won't be very good for the Wii, what you want is one that supports component. Not necessarily HDTV component - although HD CRT's using component are the absoute best possible quality for a Wii - but normal SD component. The cable is the same, but SD component is basically taking S-Video and making the colors sharper and more accurate.

I was talking about stretching to HD resolutions.

You really don't notice input lag in, like, every game? It drove me mad in Twilight Princess, Brawl, Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy... everything feels so sluggish even with component cables and filters off. I've bought Visios, Samsungs, Sonys, plasmas, LEDs, LCDs... and I still haven't found a good HDTV that's lag free with PS3/360 games... :( The Wii U gamepad may be my only hope.

MarkusRJR

You really don't notice input lag in, like, every game? It drove me mad in Twilight Princess, Brawl, Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy... everything feels so sluggish even with component cables and filters off. I've bought Visios, Samsungs, Sonys, plasmas, LEDs, LCDs... and I still haven't found a good HDTV that's lag free with PS3/360 games... :( The Wii U gamepad may be my only hope.
The Wii U upscales Wii games so it plays pretty well with little to no apparent lag.

Dunno what to say, I don't notice any lag at all. I put my TV in Game-Mode, make sure it isn't applying smoothing or dynamic contrast or super white or any of those modes, and I don't notice one lick of lag. Rock Band says I have around 65ms of lag in its calibration, but I just don't notice it outside of rhythm games, that's like two frames of lag at 60fps, one frame at 30.

There's no stretching there. Sure, that one game made a poor graphical choice for how they implement 16:9, so it lost a little bit of detail, but the picture doesn't look stretched in any way.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Dunno what to say, I don't notice any lag at all. I put my TV in Game-Mode, make sure it isn't applying smoothing or dynamic contrast or super white or any of those modes, and I don't notice one lick of lag. Rock Band says I have around 65ms of lag in its calibration, but I just don't notice it outside of rhythm games, that's like two frames of lag at 60fps, one frame at 30.

There's no stretching there. Sure, that one game made a poor graphical choice for how they implement 16:9, so it lost a little bit of detail, but the picture doesn't look stretched in any way.
The pixels are stretched, not the game.

Eusis

1. The Wii always produces a 4:3 image. It just proportions it to look correct when stretched to 16:9, but if you compare 4:3 and 16:9 modes (preferably those that AREN'T letterboxed in 4:3) you'll see it's much sharper. That Wario Land link gives a good example. Ideally we could've gotten a 853x480 image or something in that range, but Nintendo didn't feel like pushing for that and I guess TV manufacturers or whoever sets these standards didn't take that possibility into account.

2. Unfortunately there are TVs that either won't let you go into 4:3 mode with an HD signal (Chris Kohler noted this over Twitter with his Bravia, and mine does the same, though at least mine is an older model and his probably is too as people noted newer ones have that mode), and I know some cheaper/older ones don't have a 4:3 option AT ALL. Hell, a lot of those older TVs weren't even taking into account exact pixel modes, which is really frustrating on older 720p TVs that aren't even displaying that resolution fully... despite being an even higher one (1366x768 versus 1280x720). Of course, this could be solved if the Wii U was able to distingush between games displaying at 16:9 versus 4:3, or had an option to force it to be one or the other, hopefully that can be added with an update and Nintendo cares enough to.

EDIT: Well, guess that first one got addressed, but I do think it's problematic the Wii didn't send a signal to tell a TV it was outputting a 4:3 or 16:9 image. The Xbox did that, and it would've solved the headache introduce with the Wii BC that neither the PS3 or Xbox 360 had to deal with.

The pixels are stretched, not the game.
That's how 16:9 works at 480i/p. There is only one 480p resolution - around 704x480. 16:9 just draws wider pixels without changing the resolution. Obviously only CRT's are capable of drawing wider pixels, so fixed-pixel displays like LCD, DLP and Plasma simulate it by using more pixels and scaling the image.

What that specific game did was keep the gameplay limited to a 4:3 area and drawing its own pillar-bars, and since the resolution doesn't change, then you are losing detail - the detail that the pillar-bars are taking up. Luckily most Wii games don't do that, they support full widescreen gameplay, so no detail is lost.

Gamecube, however, is different, most Gamecube games don't support native 16:9.

1. The Wii always produces a 4:3 image. It just proportions it to look correct when stretched to 16:9, but if you compare 4:3 and 16:9 modes (preferably those that AREN'T letterboxed in 4:3) you'll see it's much sharper. That Wario Land link gives a good example. Ideally we could've gotten a 853x480 image or something in that range, but Nintendo didn't feel like pushing for that.
See above - there is no 853x480 image support in the ATSC or NTSC standards, there's only the one resolution.

2. Unfortunately there are TVs that either won't let you go into 4:3 mode with an HD signal (Chris Kohler noted this over Twitter with his Bravia, and mine does the same, though at least mine is an older model and his probably is too as people noted newer ones have that mode), and I know some cheaper/older ones don't have a 4:3 option AT ALL. Hell, a lot of those older TVs weren't even taking into account exact pixel modes, which is really frustrating on older 720p TVs that aren't even displaying that resolution fully... despite being an even higher one (1366x768 versus 1280x720). Of course, this could be solved if the Wii U was able to distingush between games displaying at 16:9 versus 4:3, or had an option to force it to be one or the other, hopefully that can be added with an update and Nintendo cares enough to.
Huh - I've never run into this - not in my Panasonic HD CRT back in 2002, nor any of my TV's since then (I currently have a 2010-model Sony Bravia, before that I had a Vizio), nor either of the projectors I've owned. That would suck, though like I say, it's something you'd almost never need with a Wii, only really with some of the VC games.

That's how 16:9 works at 480i/p. There is only one 480p resolution - around 704x480. 16:9 just draws wider pixels without changing the resolution. Obviously only CRT's are capable of drawing wider pixels, so fixed-pixel displays like LCD, DLP and Plasma simulate it by using more pixels and scaling the image.

What that specific game did was keep the gameplay limited to a 4:3 area and drawing its own pillar-bars, and since the resolution doesn't change, then you are losing detail - the detail that the pillar-bars are taking up. Luckily most Wii games don't do that, they support full widescreen gameplay, so no detail is lost.

Gamecube, however, is different, most Gamecube games don't support native 16:9.
Do all Wii games (not including VC, of course, which are 4:3) have 16:9 support of some kind? I'm not clear on this.

Yes Boss!

Do all Wii games (not including VC, of course, which are 4:3) have 16:9 support of some kind? I'm not clear on this.

Yeah.

Wii does the unsqueeze trick. Renders everything at a 4:3 image winnowed then unsqueezes it to 16:9 if TV is set to that aspect. There are certain 4:3 games that have additional borders, when playing 16:9, like Wario Shake It.

I'm forgetting what it did for early games that were just 4:3. Elebits comes to mind, I think it just had borders.

Eusis

See above - there is no 853x480 image support in the ATSC or NTSC standards, there's only the one resolution.
It's disappointing that they didn't do this, even though I guess it'd only have been particularly relevant for the Wii and a handful of PS2/Xbox games. Would've done a lot to make the games look better relative to the 360/PS3, assuming they actually pursued it.
Yeah.

Wii does the unsqueeze trick. Renders everything at a 4:3 image winnowed then unsqueezes it to 16:9 if TV is set to that aspect. There are certain 4:3 games that have additional borders, when playing 16:9, like Wario Shake It.

I'm forgetting what it did for early games that were just 4:3. Elebits comes to mind, I think it just had borders.
No, it's like VC games: they output 4:3 whether it's set to 16:9 or not. They started adding borders (black or otherwise) after awhile but some games are still 4:3 only like La Mualana.

Yes Boss!

No, it's like VC games: they output 4:3 whether it's set to 16:9 or not. They started adding borders (black or otherwise) after awhile but some games are still 4:3 only like La Mualana.

Ah, Ok. So always 4:3. That is what I was thinking.

I could have sworn games like Wario Shake It! render two different ways...but it must be letterboxed and with the graphical borders for 4:3.

Also, any GAFers who get the Wii Mini and have component cables please verify the engadget story. Nothing else on the net yet, it seems, if they work or not.

iphys

Ouch, maybe it's not just engadget:

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/81838

Also, I no longer see the link on getting an optional HDTV cable on the nintendo.com "what's in the box" page, which is a bad, bad sign indeed.

Does removing component support save them like an extra 5 cents somehow, or are they just doing everything in their power to try to steer people away from the Wii and toward the Wii U instead?

Yes Boss!

Well, that is it. I'm out.

No component makes it useless. I don't give a fig about internet. This would have been a sexy little Galaxy machine but it is pointless now. I can't even look at the unit in the same light now.

Ah, Ok. So always 4:3. That is what I was thinking.

I could have sworn games like Wario Shake It! render two different ways...but it must be letterboxed and with the graphical borders for 4:3.

Also, any GAFers who get the Wii Mini and have component cables please verify the engadget story. Nothing else on the net yet, it seems, if they work or not.
Ah, so you mean that some early Wii games are 4:3 only and will be stretched in 16:9? That makes things confusing then... I know that some Wii games are 16:9 only and play with borders in 4:3 -- examples of this include Xenoblade and Skyward Sword, which have black borders, and Kirby's Epic Yarn, which has drawn (Kirby-esque) borders. And I know that VC games are of course 4:3 and just stretch in 16:9. But I wasn't sure about the rest of Wii games themselves... so most have some sort of 16:9 support, but there are a few that don't and will stretch? Ideally Wii games should support both (and it's quite annoying that Xenoblade particularly doesn't, because its text is WAY too small in 4:3! It's halfway unreadable really!), but oh well... it's just annoying to have to keep switching back and forth, and for the games to not tell you if they are 4:3 or 16:9 or both, either. Which of course they never do, I don't think.

iphys

So I wonder whether S-video still works, since you can buy non-official S-video cables for the Wii and those are still 480i. I honestly noticed a bigger improvement going from composite to S-video than from S-video to component with the Wii, so if you can still use those S-video cables, at least it wouldn't be as brutal as being stuck with composite.

Link83

Sorry for the slight thread bump, but as mentioned in the other thread, Digital Foundry now has a review of the Wii Mini up, and I noticed this picture shows the Wii Mini's Model Number is RVL-201:-
600x-1

Googling this Model number showed that Nintendo already has the operations manual for the Wii Mini available on their website:-
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/downloads/WiiMiniOpMn_RVO_en.pdf
and on page 10 of the manual (pdf page 7) it says "IMPORANT: The Wii mini console will not work with any AV cable other than the model supplied." (Yes the "IMPORANT" typo is in the manual)
This seems to confirm that no other AV cable will work except the bundled Composite cable, which means there is no S-Video or Component output available from the Wii Mini (And likely no RGB Scart or D-Terminal support either)

This makes sense when you look at the Wii's 'AV MULTI OUT' port pinout, since all these outputs use the same 3 pins:-
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:wii_multi_av_pinout
Its likely that the Wii Mini is still using the same DAC/Video Encoder chip as the original Wii consoles, so i'm sure these video outputs could be restored by modding just like the SNES Jr (Although not really worth the time given the other missing features) However it seems a real shame that Nintendo would remove these outputs, when all it saves is the cost of a few resistors, diodes and capacitors, and perhaps a bit a PCB space for the traces/components :(

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Its likely that the Wii Mini is still using the same DAC/Video Encoder chip as the original Wii consoles, so i'm sure these video outputs could be restored by modding just like the SNES Jr.

The time to make hopeful assumptions about the Wii Mini has passed.

Top Bottom