• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Party Makeshift |OT|

duckroll

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/05/07/wii_party/

Wii Party is, as the name might suggest, a collection of party games. Slides shown during the briefing suggested the following modes of play:

- Teiban Party
Playable by one to four players. Includes "teiban," or "standard," games like Bingo, Roulette, Mii-jan, Overseas Trip Game and Sugoroku (dice).

- Pair Party
Recommended for two players. Includes Compatibility Check, Balance Ship, and Mii Awase (Mii Alignment).

- Living Party
Playable by more than two people. Iwata said that this area would feature new play types made possible by the Wiimote.

GhaleonQ

I was going to post a snarky comment about how Mario must have alienated the Party audience, but this is apparently just thematically disconnected Mario Party-length minigames built around motion control? If so, is this Nintendo's least inspired product yet, or must we wait to see what the specific games are?

swerve

Something for the non-zelda and non-mario and non-metroid fans.

Making this year on Wii the most Nintendo-fan-appeasing year ever?

New hardware, new mario, new metroid, new zelda, new mario party but with miis.

gerg

GhaleonQ said:
I was going to post a snarky comment about how Mario must have alienated the Party audience, but this is apparently just thematically disconnected Mario Party-length minigames built around motion control? If so, is this Nintendo's least inspired product yet, or must we wait to see what the specific games are?

Miis are the new Mario. (I am half-serious.)

AniHawk

GhaleonQ said:
Well Teiban Party sounds like Clubhouse Games. Pair Party sounds like a Wii Channel. Living Party sounds like the Mario Party thing.

GhaleonQ said:

Bundled with 2 Wii Motion Pluses? Vitality Sensor?

Wii Play Resort

thats what this is :D

Wow no Mario Party 9 then huh...

WHO CARES, WHY DIDN'T YOU ANNOUNCE THE GAME THAT IS ON THE LIST FOR % YEARS NOW :mad:)

KIRBY @#!@$

GhaleonQ

AniHawk said:
Well Teiban Party sounds like Clubhouse Games. Pair Party sounds like a Wii Channel. Living Party sounds like the Mario Party thing.

Any ideas on how to sell that experience to the casual crowd? I'm not sure they could be sold on just "Wii Tennis" or "Wii Bowling" instead of Wii Sports again.

Diablos54

Desiato said:
Please Nintendo, don't let this dominate your E3 conference. Please.
That's what worries me, espically what with the end of the article.
Iwata noted that Wii Party will be Nintendo's first party game since 2007's Mario Party 8. That game sold 7.6 million copies worldwide. He told investors to expect Wii Party to be a major title from Nintendo for this fiscal year.

gerg

GhaleonQ said:
Any ideas on how to sell that experience to the casual crowd?

Mario Party is a strong franchise whose last entries sold particularly well. Miis are a popular avatar among the casual audience (see Tomodachi Collection). There's nothing particularly obvious about Wii Party that should limit its sales potential.

cacildo

Nintendo said:
Wii party!!!!!

fbweba.jpg

JimboJones

Honeslty I'm glad to see them moving away from putting mario in those awful party games, now if only they would stop putting out those Mario and Sonic games...

Alcibiades

Would be very sweet to have this completely wipe the floor in sales to the point where 3rd-party mini-game collections became sales flops and releasing multitudes of crap shovelware became unprofitable. The less garbage on the shelves the more the good games stand out.

I'm surprised people are not immediately assuming this is Wii Play 2.

In that context, it is their most important game this fiscal year, way more important than Mario, Metroid, and Zelda combined.

cacildo

Alcibiades said:
Would be very sweet to have this completely wipe the floor in sales to the point where 3rd-party mini-game collections became sales flops and releasing multitudes of crap shovelware became unprofitable. The less garbage on the shelves the more the good games stand out.

Well... you do realize that what will happen is the exact opposite, right?

If somehow this game manage to be successful (in a market SWARMING with party titles), this will only be a sign for crappy shovelware developers to keep making crappy shovelware party games.

A regular day at Zoo Games office
"Look! Nintendo made some money with a mini game collection! Lets make MORE of it! How many do we have scheduled for this year? 32? Make it 70!!! Lets release 70 mini games collections this year only! bwahahahaha"

Caramello

Who knows, might be good.. I mean without Wii Play we wouldn't have the awesome Tank game :D

I guess they'll have two Wii "insert name here" games in Wii Party and Wii Vitality this year.

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm surprised people are not immediately assuming this is Wii Play 2.

In that context, it is their most important game this fiscal year, way more important than Mario, Metroid, and Zelda combined.

yeah i called Wii Play Resort... and this what it is... and probably bundled with a m+

GDGF

Soothsayer
Also, I have a feeling that the Compatibility Check (vitality sensor included) will be a high tech version of this:

premario7.jpg

Nintendo's love tester. One of Gunpei Yokoi's first projects I believe.

upandaway

GhaleonQ said:
It does seem like an obvious card they could play long ago, but didn't because it was so uninspired. Sounds like they're scrambling for quick content.

Nothing wrong with a good party game. Of course, whether this will be a good party game is up for question, but I don't see any reason to be dismayed by its announcement especially in a year when we're getting S&P2, SMG2, Other M and (hopefully) Zelda.

-MB-

cacildo said:
Well... you do realize that what will happen is the exact opposite, right?

If somehow this game manage to be successful (in a market SWARMING with party titles), this will only be a sign for crappy shovelware developers to keep making crappy shovelware party games.

A regular day at Zoo Games office
"Look! Nintendo made some money with a mini game collection! Lets make MORE of it! How many do we have scheduled for this year? 32? Make it 70!!! Lets release 70 mini games collections this year only! bwahahahaha"

Yeah, like they weren't going to do that anyway...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PuppetSlave said:
Oh noez, they are making a game not aimed at me. Wah wah wah

But it is aimed at us. Most of us have played at least one or two Mario Party games. Most of us didn't like Mario Party 8 and would love a party board game for the Wii. I do think it's a bit premature to complain about a game that hasn't really been revealed much yet, but unlike GAF's gnashing of teeth about Wii Fit or Ubisoft's My <x> Coach series, I think this is absolutely a game targeted at many people here.

Desiato

MYE said:
Who cares?
I like it when these conferences are entertaining. I'm not into minigames, so if a large portion of the conference were to be dedicated to this, I'd be bored.

Mael

wrowa said:

could be interesting, could be a clusterfuck....
Why is this important when there is Wii sports, Resorts, Play and Mario Party 8 filling that niche though?
Either we don't know the whole story or they feel they're missing their yearly Mario Party and went with this...
At least it can't be worse than Move Party....

seady

Nintendo definitely made less Mario themed spinoff this generation.
They seem to reposition Mario back into a platformer and not an athletic, party animal or whatever.

Top Bottom