• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Party Makeshift |OT|

Nintendo isn't one to share all their secrets so early like this.
You can be sure they've got a few things that will shock us (for better or for worse).

cacildo

AceBandage said:
Nintendo isn't one to share all their secrets so early like this.
You can be sure they've got a few things that will shock us (for better or for worse).

I already got a big Cammie Dunaway smile on my face

I like her. I mean, i feel bad for her most of the time, and i have this thing for people who nobody else likes....

justchris

jay said:
This may be a straw man. It's easier to attack the morons who hate all casual gaming than to address the matter that Wii Sports, Wii Music and Wii Fit are casual but innovative and new whereas Wii Party seems by definition really stale. I think Wii Relax would be a better Wii series title because it would likely be in a genre not yet explored.

I wish Iwata were serious when he said Nintendo didn't want to do what was easy when it came to software but Wii Party fills me with doubts.

To be fair, doing something new and innovative doesn't mean you ignore your existing fans. Wii Party exists for basically the same reason that Super Smash Bros. Brawl exists. They have a legacy of fans they have to appease as well as introducing something new.

Sir Johnny said:
That they are likely the worst team of the EAD division.
The smallest and laziest Nintendo games of these years have all been developed by them, Wii Music included. Also, as they have programmed all the Wii_ titles with the exception of Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus, it is also very probable they'll end up doing this Wii Party.

EAD doesn't work like that (Though EAD Tokyo is seperate because of geographic location), the 5 teams aren't really set in stone. How it works is that there are 5 main project teams lead by 5 main directors (EAD1 - Hideki Konno, EAD2 - Katsuya Eguchi, EAD3 - Eiji Aonuma, EAD4 - Hiroyuki Kimura, EAD5 - Tadashi Sugiyama) and the staff within the EAD group can freely jump around the different teams where they're needed, so staff don't get confined to one EAD group and end up staying there (except for the directors)

That's why you can't seperate the EAD groups and say something like "EAD1 is better than EAD2", it's just one big pool of staff, who are allocated based on the needs of the project at the time (for instance, the majority of the staff who worked on Zelda TP in EAD3 came from the Pikmin 2 team, which was developed by EAD1)

EAD2 have developed all of the Wii__ titles and the Animal Crossing series, but the staff within EAD2 constantly changes, so there is no one team who works on all of the Wii___ games.

Provider said:
This will be Nintendo's ultimate casual game, they are using all gray for the logo.

Hopefully not. I've always liked the Wii ____ logos. I think they should go with some shade of orange, like Wii Play.

DNF

Nuclear Muffin said:
EAD doesn't work like that (Though EAD Tokyo is seperate because of geographic location), the 5 teams aren't really set in stone. How it works is that there are 5 main project teams lead by 4 main directors (EAD1 - Hideki Konno, EAD2 - Katsuya Eguchi, EAD3 - Eiji Aonuma, EAD4 - Hiroyuki Kimura, EAD5 - Tadashi Sugiyama) and the staff within the EAD group can freely jump around the different teams where they're needed, so staff don't get confined to one EAD group and end up staying there (except for the directors)

That's why you can't seperate the EAD groups and say something like "EAD1 is better than EAD2", it's just one big pool of staff, who are allocated based on the needs of the project at the time (for instance, the majority of the staff who worked on Zelda TP in EAD3 came from the Pikmin 2 team, which was developed by EAD1)

EAD2 have developed all of the Wii__ titles and the Animal Crossing series, but the staff within EAD2 constantly changes, so there is no one team who works on all of the Wii___ games.

Speaking of Nintendo EAD, i remember that "Shikamaru Ninja" posted sometimes an overall view of nintendos 1st and 2nd party developers (and what games they made).
And he said he would update it for this year. Anyone know if i missed it or hasn't he done it yet ?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Nintendo Twitter: "Just announced Wii Party. Already shipped more than all the entire Halo series put together. Snoogins."

Rafaelcsa said:
Wii Music will definitely go down as an underaprecciated gem of a game. As long as you belong to the audience it actually caters to (people with an inclination towards music playing), you'll love it. But it's much closer to something like Korg DS-10 than Guitar Hero, so it's audience is really limited. Still, Wii Music 2 would be awesome! (this is directed at you fuckers who keep mentioning an announcement like that in jest :p)

I would snatch it up in a heartbeat if they focused on the composition aspect akin to an expanded version of Mario Paint's music maker. Like Korg DS-10, but more accessible, and with the added fun of performing (now with Motion+!).

I admittedly have never played the first game although it's been sitting on my friend's shelf for a while. Sounded like a solid idea that was held back by a few poor decisions (too simple, terrible song list, subpar MIDI samples, standard WiiMote technically lacking).

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

Wii Party seems well armed to become the new reference of its kind on a console where the competition does exist. Quickly accessible, requiring no more than four Wiimotes and as many players to express their potential, the title perfectly fits the million seller tradition of the Wii. Not sure that confirmed players will see it as a great interest, but this lightweight formula should be a hit among novices. Well, that's specifically the population the title is targetting.

+ user-friendly
+ a lot of effective games
+ a lot of contents

- bad played alone of course
- a little less beautiful than Crysis 2
- some will still prefer Mario Party

6/10

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Shawn6661 said:

Wii Party seems well armed to become the new reference of its kind on a console where the competition does exist. Quickly accessible, requiring no more than four Wiimotes and as many players to express their potential, the title perfectly fits the million seller tradition of the Wii. Not sure that confirmed players will see it as a great interest, but this lightweight formula should be a hit among novices. Well, that's specifically the population the title is targetting.

+ user-friendly
+ a lot of contents

6/10

:lol at the complaints.

wazoo

Shawn6661 said:

+ user-friendly
+ a lot of contents

6/10

6 is a ok rating on this web site, like 5 is average

Davey Cakes

Even Wii Sports Resort is only about a 6/10 or 7/10 (at best) when playing alone, but easily jumps to a 9/10 when playing with friends. Sometimes games really are just meant to be played a certain way. Intension is significant.

gerg

Rash said:
Sometimes games really are just meant to be played a certain way. Intension is significant.

Well, the former sentence begs the question. Introducing the concept of "intension" allows us to answer why we may want to say that a game is "just" meant to be played in a certain manner.

Shiggy

Sorry for bumbing this thread, but will this see a game-only release or can we buy it only with another Wii Remote? (Europe)

farnham

Banned
Shiggy said:
Sorry for bumbing this thread, but will this see a game-only release or can we buy it only with another Wii Remote? (Europe)
There was a Wiimote bundle announced for Europe dunno bout NA

Shiggy

farnham said:
There was a Wiimote bundle announced for Europe dunno bout NA

My question was meant the other way around: Is there a game-only release? Retailers only list the bundle and NoE only has a boxart for that version.

Shanadeus said:
So... which was the best mario party?
I'm partial to the second one, and the fourth.

Fourth was garbage; first and second were best. I prefer the first since there were more 'extreme' results--the sequel leveled it out too much, and made it less infuriating, and thus less exciting.

Boerseun

Banned
Shanadeus said:
So... which was the best mario party?
I'm partial to the second one, and the fourth.

Mario Party 5 is the absolutely pinnacle of the series in my opinion. It went steadily downhill after that. I would still have preferred Nintendo give that series a makeover than go with Wii Party though. Having said that, I have yet to play the latter. Maybe it's great and I'll get over my Mario Party grief. Who knows.

gerg said:
This game clearly intended for the multiplayer market sucks when playing alone!
It's funny.
If this were a multiplayer only FPS like Counter Strike or TF2 you wouldn't see that complaint hold as much weight as it seems to on party games.

How many people complained about Left 4 Dead being shallow and boring in single player?

BowieZ

Banned
Got this for Christmas. Just started playing 2P with my brother.

It's fucking hilariously fun. It's kinda the best Mario Party since the 64 days.

BowieZ

Banned
Wow. Just discovered the Rule Reversal twist.

It's sort of like a standard competition of minigames except for each game one player gets to secretly cheat (thanks to their remote not silently rumbling beforehand to indicate), and to gain points, the other players have to guess which player was cheating based on what was happening on screen... all while actually playing the games to win points.

It's kind of like The Mole reality show.

And it's awesome.

And nobody else on GAF plays this game anyway, so meh.

Well, maybe if they would let me buy the game without having to buy a remote with it... I have remotes but I can't buy this game without buying another!

Insane, utterly insane.

Shiggy

PuppetSlave said:
Well, maybe if they would let me buy the game without having to buy a remote with it... I have remotes but I can't buy this game without buying another!

Insane, utterly insane.

The remote bundle is no longer available in Europe, I thought. It's become a standalone title in December.

The only two stores I could find it in, only has it as a bundle.

But your comment gives me hope that maybe one day it will be possible.

Boney

Banned
BowieZ said:
Wow. Just discovered the Rule Reversal twist.

It's sort of like a standard competition of minigames except for each game one player gets to secretly cheat (thanks to their remote not silently rumbling beforehand to indicate), and to gain points, the other players have to guess which player was cheating based on what was happening on screen... all while actually playing the games to win points.

It's kind of like The Mole reality show.

And it's awesome.

And nobody else on GAF plays this game anyway, so meh.
that sounds totally kewl

mclem

Boney said:
that sounds totally kewl

Seconded, I think I need to know more. What benefits does the Mole have? Are they actively sabotaging other people, or just getting unreasonable benefits? What does the Mole gain from not being discovered? What do they lose from being discovered?

I'm a huge fan of The Mole from back in the day, and I really like the sound of this.

mclem said:
Seconded, I think I need to know more. What benefits does the Mole have? Are they actively sabotaging other people, or just getting unreasonable benefits? What does the Mole gain from not being discovered? What do they lose from being discovered?

I'm a huge fan of The Mole from back in the day, and I really like the sound of this.

It depends on what mini game it is. For example, in the sheep running one, the sheep will go away from the Mole or in the whack a mole, more golden moles appear near the Mole. For some games, it is a helpful advantage while for others, it becomes really obvious who's the Mole is.

The mole gains 10 points from each person that doesn't discover them, while they lose 10 points from being discovered.

G0523

PuppetSlave said:

Insane, utterly insane.
You could always sell the remote.

Shiggy

I cannot believe this! After more than three months, Nintendo was able to restock Wii Party, both the white Wii Remote edition and the limited edition with the black Wii Remote. They must have found some stock of old remotes in their warehouses...
(The game-only version, which was released when these severe shortages of the bundle occured, is also still available - for only 20 EUR less than the bundle)

TheOddOne

Shawn6661 said:
WAT.

Davey Cakes

Recently I've been playing a lot of Mario Party 2 (on VC) and Wii Sports/Resort with friends. These games are really fun, but I've become interested in Wii Party, since it seems like a combination of these franchises into a sort of spiritual successor to the ever-worsening Mario Party games.

I'm considering getting it, though I'm waiting for a good deal. Something tells me that Amazon will eventually put up a decent discount for it.

But I'm curious, since Wii Party's been out for some time: how is the game to those who still play it? Or for those who stopped playing it, why'd you stop? Does Wii Party hold up in terms of replayability in party settings like the Wii Sports games? Will it be enjoyable way down the line?

Mollymauk

I would say it doesn't have the replayability of Mario Party because there are only 2 board game maps. That's the only drawback because I prefer using Miis to Nintendo characters. If there's a Wii Party 2 with more boards that would be the way to go. There's a bunch of minigames as well, but they aren't as interesting as the board game.

That said, my daughter and her friend still played it for 2 hours yesterday. :)

Top Bottom