• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Party Makeshift |OT|

Stumpokapow said:
except *snorts* wii chess, yes

I'd have to check, but as far as I can remember Wii Chess did actually have some supervising input from a couple of EAD guys...

ead1 hasn't done anything since mario kart wii
ead2 hasn't done anything since wii sports resort (and they did ws / wp / wm / wsr, so they're the leading candidates)
ead3 is on zelda wii
ead4 just released nsmb wii so it'll be a while for them
ead5 did wii fit plus, no idea what they're working on now
ead tokyo is on galaxy 2

so it could really be 1, 2, or 5 depending on dev time

Hm. I might have guessed EAD2, since development on WSR must have wrapped up some 4+ months earlier than development on WF+, but if Nintendo are still planning on launching another piece of Wii xxx software alongside the Vitality Sensor, I'd imagine they would be the go-to team for that (as they seem to have a real handle on producing compelling software to complement Nintendo's hardware this gen) with the less conceptually-demanding party title being handed off to EAD5.

Codeblue

I'll buy it if Tanks returns. I've been hoping they'd just release a a full game on retail or wiiware based on it, but I'll take what I can get.

Mt Heart Attack said:
You guys don't think this will be the "big Vitality Sensor launch game", do you?

i think they may do a two punch

wii relax (vs) + wii party (vs and m+)

like they did with

wiisports and wii play

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mt Heart Attack said:
You guys don't think this will be the "big Vitality Sensor launch game", do you?
That's probably Wii Relax, since Nintendo went and trademarked it in multiple regions, and Iwata described a relaxation vitality sensor game in a financial Q&A a few quarters ago.

AntMurda

Wii Party and Wii Relax and The Legend of Zelda from EAD. Not bad final send off for Wii. Maybe we will still get Pikmin 3?

DarkWish

Nirolak said:
That's probably Wii Relax, since Nintendo went and trademarked it in multiple regions.
That's what I'm thinking, which means we have...

Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Fit
Wii Fit Plus
Wii Play
Wii Party
Wii Chess
Wii Music
Wii Relax

That's a lot of Wii ___ titles.

DarkWish said:
That's what I'm thinking, which means we have...

Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Fit
Wii Fit Plus
Wii Play
Wii Party
Wii Chess
Wii Music
Wii Relax

That's a lot of Wii ___ titles.

9 (with only 8 seeing a world wide release) really isn't that many.
It's about 2 a year, which is a very small part of their over all release list.

DarkWish

AceBandage said:
9 (with only 8 seeing a world wide release) really isn't that many.
It's about 2 a year, which is a very small part of their over all release list.
I guess what I mean is that if you consider the Wii ___ games to be from one series, that's a lot of titles from one series on a system. It totally makes sense for Nintendo's strategy, but that's still a lot of Wii ___'s compared to Mario ___'s or something else.

EDIT: I take that back. I completely forgot about some Mario titles. There are just as many Mario titles as Wii titles pretty much.

DarkWish said:
I guess what I mean is that if you consider the Wii ___ games to be from one series, that's a lot of titles from one series on a system. It totally makes sense for Nintendo's strategy, but that's still a lot of Wii ___'s compared to Mario ___'s or something else.

EDIT: I take that back. I completely forgot about some Mario titles. There are just as many Mario titles as Wii titles pretty much.

The key with the Wii and Mario titles as compared to, say, Call of Duty, is that Nintendo apply the brand/mascot to very different games.

Wii Fit may superficially resemble Wii Party, but it's a very different piece of software, unlike, say Call of Duty: Black Ops which is going to be another FPS with very little to distinguish it from World at War, Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare etc. but the setting, plot etc.

I'd prefer Mario Party 9 but after playing 8 I'm not sure. That was my least favorite in the series. I really just hope this doesn't replace Mario Party in the long run.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Cosmonaut X
The other interesting question is who will be developing this. Which team is free at the moment? I doubt this will be outsourced to Hudson (all Wii xxx games so far have been EAD-developed, haven't they?).

No it should definitely be developed by EAD in-house given the engine and sales forecast of the title. It is basically a horse power sequel to Wii Play. But this game i think is actually going to be good, and perhaps the best casual game Nintendo has developed.

Stumpokapow
except *snorts* wii chess, yes
ead1 hasn't done anything since mario kart wii
ead2 hasn't done anything since wii sports resort (and they did ws / wp / wm / wsr, so they're the leading candidates)
ead3 is on zelda wii
ead4 just released nsmb wii so it'll be a while for them
ead5 did wii fit plus, no idea what they're working on now
ead tokyo is on galaxy 2

so it could really be 1, 2, or 5 depending on dev time

Well remember that the programmers aren't really exclusive to any division, neither are the musicians. It is just the designers. So the Wii Sports/Wii Music/Wii Play are all developed by EAD Technology Division and the design team could be EAD Software Group 1 2 or 5 most likely.

Wii Chess was kind of sort of developed jointly under Nintendo SPD.

Jaruru

wrowa said:
2132414384_full.jpg

2132414385_full.jpg

2132414386_full.jpg

everytime I see this kind of artwork, I fall in love. fun gameplay for most of the time... (except Wii Play >.>)

edit: yes, we need more fun multiplayer games, not passing the wiimote pls

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
But Nintendo is being smart when it comes to their casual games. Previously, these casual games existed but just they were all branded under the Mario ip. Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Paint, Mario Golf, Mario Baseball.

These games generally sold well, but it had a peak audience. Nintendo took their formula and replaced Mario with Miis. Giving it a pop-culture appeal to adults.

DarkWish

Cosmonaut X said:
The key with the Wii and Mario titles as compared to, say, Call of Duty, is that Nintendo apply the brand/mascot to very different games.

Wii Fit may superficially resemble Wii Party, but it's a very different piece of software, unlike, say Call of Duty: Black Ops which is going to be another FPS with very little to distinguish it from World at War, Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare etc. but the setting, plot etc.
Yea, that's true. I guess I was just expecting one Wii ___ title in the near future with Wii Relax and the Vitality Sensor, so this just caught me off guard.

A full bore balls out party game designed ground up for wii is something I am going to get a huge amount of use out of. So I'm theoretically on board for this.

Yoshi said:
I think it's good that they don't use Mario for this. While Mario might've helped the game, imo it's better for the brand's value if he's kept away from such games as much as possible.

And @Diablos54: Why does my browser show me two different gifs of that red-haired girl on the same page as your avatar?
Agreed, and because she's a time traveler.

Glass Soldier said:
Well, you can't replace Mario in Mario Tennis and sell it off as a separate game. Not anymore.
Why not? Because there's a tennis game in Wii Sports? What if it comes with a comprehensive single player mode with a bunch of celebrity Miis for opponents, and a online multiplayer mode?

bmf said:
Why not? Because there's a tennis game in Wii Sports? What if it comes with a comprehensive single player mode with a bunch of celebrity Miis for opponents, and a online multiplayer mode?

This is only speculation but I don't think that the average consumer would see any difference and even if they did, they wouldn't care. They already have a tennis game with the same look and a single-player mode, celebrities and online multi might not be incentive enough to buy the "same" game again. Put Mario on the box, show some crazy abilities and people will be like "Oh my god, look! Do you remember Mario. He's back. In POG tennis form."

That said, does anybody know how well Mario Super Sluggers did?

Mael

Glass Soldier said:
This is only speculation but I don't think that the average consumer would see any difference and even if they did, they wouldn't care. They already have a tennis game with the same look and a single-player mode, celebrities and online multi might not be incentive enough to buy the "same" game again. Put Mario on the box, show some crazy abilities and people will be like "Oh my god, look! Do you remember Mario. He's back. In POG tennis form."

That said, does anybody know how well Mario Super Sluggers did?

so well we never saw it in Europe

Glass Soldier said:
Well, baseball isn't really popular in Europe to begin with.

its more than that... its an unknown sport.

didnt know where to post this
Some people who have been analyzing the video game business appear to rely on the past business transitions in order to forecast future development, and many tend to see a video game platform with a product lifecycle of 5 years or longer. However, times have changed and how our consumers react has also changed. For Wii and Nintendo DS, our customer base has shown unprecedented change and been enlarged with the gaming population expansion. Accordingly, we believe they do not follow the lifecycle patterns of the past platforms.We believe there is still further room for gaming population expansion.
Be it Nintendo 3DS that will be shown at E3 this year, new software lineup for this year and our efforts to promote and market our hardware and long tail software
to those who have not played Nintendo DS nor Wii yet, they are all connected to our basic strategy of gaming population expansion. Nintendo will not stop its endeavors to carry out what we believe is the most important mission in the entertainment business, which is to “surprise people in meaningful ways through our products.”

Vizion28

Banned
I won't be interested unless it has online. *Sighs* oh how I longed to bash someone over the head across the country with kendo sword on Wii Sports Resort.

Seriously, Nintendo has said they want more Wiis connencted to the internet. Their big titles (Wii Sport Resort, Smash, NSMB Wii etc) may have helped put more people on the net if it had a functional online.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
This party game shit makes me want to barf.

I'm not a fan of the casual Mii games. But the idea of EAD and Miis replacing the stale Mario Party series is a win in my opinion.

Just no more Big Brain Academys and Wii Music. Will be good.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I'm not a fan of the casual Mii games. But the idea of EAD and Miis replacing the stale Mario Party series is a win in my opinion.

Just no more Big Brain Academys and Wii Music. Will be good.

You can't just replace mario and friends with generic miis and unstale a game series. Matter of fact, it makes it seem more stale. Doesn't help that every Wii developer and their neightbors have tried to make a quick buck with a party game. This poo isn't fresh.

Then again, Nintendo doesn't care. This is about making the most amount of money in the least amount of time and effort. They're cashing in while the chips are hot much like activision does.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mr. B Natural said:
You can't just replace mario and friends with generic miis and unstale a game series. Matter of fact, it makes it seem more stale. Doesn't help that every Wii developer and their neightbors have tried to make a quick buck with a party game. This poo isn't fresh.

Then again, Nintendo doesn't care. This is about making the most amount of money in the least amount of time and effort. They're cashing in while the chips are hot much like activision does.
If the minigames are fun and the game polished like every other Nintendo title, fuck Mario and the rest.

Top Bottom