• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Party Makeshift |OT|

Lt Thunderpants

Neo Member
Somnid said:
Typical response. Anyway the Wii Series has been very high quality (Music aside). Definitely some of the best multiplayer games this generation. I think this will be great.

It's true Wii has a lot of party games but the reason you guys are complaining (and for some reason don't seem to realize) is that none of them are any good. The market for a high quality entry is still pretty open I'd say.

Couldn't have said it any better than this. Mario Party was feeling tired to me anyways.

On another plus side, we might be gaining another Wii game worthy of pulling out at parties again. When the console launched, I couldn't get people away from my apartment because of Wii Sports.

Amir0x

Banned
This is just the type of game Wii was lacking. I'm so glad someone is there to fill this void. Thank you Nintendo for always being the tireless crusader of quaint mini-game filled party titles.

This is just the type of post this thread was lacking. I'm so glad someone is there to fill this void. Thank you Amir0x for always being the tireless crusader of quaint vaguely sarcastic posts.

Blimey - it really is as easy as you make it look...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
At first I thought it was incredibly unimaginative of Nintendo, but upon further reflexion, I'd say "wait and see".

I'd be interested in seeing this game with tons of games, tons of polish and a fair price, just to shame all the third-parties who decided to make cheap cash-ins with anemic content and poor sales. It's really a shame that there hasn't been a decent party game of the minigame-collection flavour since the Rabbids games and MP8, and even they were really decent at best.

Basically, I'm all for a stellar party-game, because we've yet to see what a stellar party game is like (with maybe the exception of some of the earlier Mario Party games).

Sir Johnny

Neo Member
ShockingAlberto said:
What's dumb about them?

That they are likely the worst team of the EAD division.
The smallest and laziest Nintendo games of these years have all been developed by them, Wii Music included. Also, as they have programmed all the Wii_ titles with the exception of Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus, it is also very probable they'll end up doing this Wii Party.

Osuwari

if this means this is the end of Mario Party, then it will be a shame since the series ended in a low note with mp8. i really wanted to see at least another one with more polish and dev time (3 years since mp8 would have actually done wonders to mp9). in the GC days, mp5 and 6 were better than 4 just because there was more time to make the minigames instead of developing the whole engine in the process.

There's nothing wrong with a good party game, and this one might be fun. Having said that, I think it's funny how the announcement of this game is going to make some people ignore the fact that Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Other M, Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment 2, and Last Story are on the way from Nintendo in the near future. (Not to mention the fact that new Zelda and Pikmin games have been confirmed as well.) The lineup of core titles on deck from Nintendo is as strong as it has ever been, but people are inevitably going to get caught up on the one game that doesn't happen to appeal to their sensibilities.

Sir Johnny said:
The smallest and laziest Nintendo games of these years have all been developed by them, Wii Music included. Also, as they have programmed all the Wii_ titles with the exception of Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus, it is also very probable they'll end up doing this Wii Party.

Wii Sports Resort is awesome.

Sir Johnny said:
In what sense is that dumb?

They've been the most profitable division of Nintendo's development studios, probably in the company's history.

Sir Johnny said:

If Wii Sports is lazy, then god help us if they ever actually try.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Osuwari said:
if this means this is the end of Mario Party, then it will be a shame since the series ended in a low note with mp8. i really wanted to see at least another one with more polish and dev time (3 years since mp8 would have actually done wonders to mp9). in the GC days, mp5 and 6 were better than 4 just because there was more time to make the minigames instead of developing the whole engine in the process.

That series has been disappointing since 3, possible exception being the surprising DS iteration. I'm all for it moving on to Miis.

Grecco

So Nintendo reveals the 3DS and the big Wii brand game for the Casuals way before E3. Makes me wonder if they have other stuff for E3

Coolio McAwesome said:
There's nothing wrong with a good party game, and this one might be fun. Having said that, I think it's funny how the announcement of this game is going to make some people ignore the fact that Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Other M, Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment 2, and Last Story are on the way from Nintendo in the near future. (Not to mention the fact that new Zelda and Pikmin games have been confirmed as well.) The lineup of core titles on deck from Nintendo is as strong as it has ever been, but people are inevithttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/index.phpably going to get caught up on the one game that doesn't happen to appeal to their sensibilities.

Apparently making 5 core games doesn't outweigh the sin of making one casual game.

While the name and concept of this game doesn't personally offend me, I hope the confirmed list of games is just a small sample of what we'll find in the title. As it stands, that's a pretty boring list, and this could turn out to be a fun enough game.

Haunted

wrowa said:
2132414386_full.jpg
Well, that looks promising.

I don't mind them ditching the Mario theme, but if there isn't a proper board game in there, it's not [Mario] Party, imo.

farnham

Banned
Dascu said:
So, what about Wii Relax? Perhaps Nintendo thought it would be too risky to depend on a more experimental type of game without having a secondary Wii- title that's sure to be a hit. I think the Wii Music "fiasco" scared them a bit.
1. wii relax. if it is comming out will probably be the big E3 theme this year. similar to wii sports 2006, wii fit 2007, wii music 2008 and wii sports resort 2009.
2. I dont see where the fiasco is with wii music.. sure it didnt sell 20 million units like wii fit. but it was still a very solid success for nintendo world wide. way better saleswise then games like metroid could ever achieve.

jay

Coolio McAwesome said:
There's nothing wrong with a good party game, and this one might be fun. Having said that, I think it's funny how the announcement of this game is going to make some people ignore the fact that Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Other M, Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment 2, and Last Story are on the way from Nintendo in the near future. (Not to mention the fact that new Zelda and Pikmin games have been confirmed as well.) The lineup of core titles on deck from Nintendo is as strong as it has ever been, but people are inevitably going to get caught up on the one game that doesn't happen to appeal to their sensibilities.

This may be a straw man. It's easier to attack the morons who hate all casual gaming than to address the matter that Wii Sports, Wii Music and Wii Fit are casual but innovative and new whereas Wii Party seems by definition really stale. I think Wii Relax would be a better Wii series title because it would likely be in a genre not yet explored.

I wish Iwata were serious when he said Nintendo didn't want to do what was easy when it came to software but Wii Party fills me with doubts.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Grecco said:
So Nintendo reveals the 3DS and the big Wii brand game for the Casuals way before E3. Makes me wonder if they have other stuff for E3

Yeah, it's called Zelda!

cacildo

Grecco said:

well, maybe nintendo still holding the big guns for the E3 presentantion.

Stuff that will make us all like

2ikp4sl.jpg

...until setember

jay said:
This may be a straw man. It's easier to attack the morons who hate all casual gaming than to address the matter that Wii Sports, Wii Music and Wii Fit are casual but innovative and new whereas Wii Party seems by definition really stale. I think Wii Relax would be a better Wii series title because it would likely be in a genre not yet explored.

I wish Iwata were serious when he said Nintendo didn't want to do what was easy when it came to software but Wii Party fills me with doubts.

we havent seen any of the gameplay so we really cant say

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So we already know Nintendo will (at least) have the following at E3:

Wii Party (already received screens, info)
Vitality Sensor (rumored to be packaged with Wii Relax software)
Legend of Zelda: Wii (know it is Motion-Plus exclusive, slated to be released 2010)
Metroid: Other M (already received screens, videos, info, release date worldwide)
Last Story (already received screens, info, release date in Japan)
XenoBlade (already received screens, videos, info, release date worldwide)
Nintendo 3DS (know it uses 3D, successor to DS)
Nintendo 3DS launch software

So in conclusion Nintendo will show us a more in-depth look at a bunch of stuff we already know a little about and have a good (maybe great) E3, OR they either come with some surprises as usual AND show us the goods we already know is coming... therefore having the best Nintendo E3 since the Wii launch.

Color me excited!! :D

Skiesofwonder said:

Legend of Zelda: Wii (know it is Motion-Plus exclusive, slated to be released 2010)
Metroid: Other M (already received screens, videos, info, release date worldwide)

So in conclusion Nintendo will show us a more in-depth look at a bunch of stuff we already know a little about and have a good (maybe great) E3, OR they either come with some surprises as usual AND show us the goods we already know is coming... therefore having the best Nintendo E3 since the Wii launch.

WII MUSIC PLUS

and some type of radical change in Zelda

i want tears!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
E3 Nintendo Show Highlights - Semi-Confirmed
* Wii Relax with Vitality Sensor
* Wii Party
* The Legend of Zelda Wii
* Nintendo 3DS
* Nintendo 3DS Software

Possible debut in montage clip
* Pikmin 3
* Kirby Wii
* Retro Studios Project
* Project-Sora Project
* NST Project

Possible Localizations
* Tomodachi Collection
* Jam With The Band
* Manage Your Money DS
* Pokemon Black / White
* The Last Story
* XenoBlade

I think Epic Mickey can be considered confirmed for the main conference. Nintendo would be downright stupid to not highlight it.

Rafaelcsa

One more (probably) awesome multiplayer game? Fine by me. :D
Wii Sports Resort was brilliant. I'll take more of that anyday.

Wii Music will definitely go down as an underaprecciated gem of a game. As long as you belong to the audience it actually caters to (people with an inclination towards music playing), you'll love it. But it's much closer to something like Korg DS-10 than Guitar Hero, so it's audience is really limited. Still, Wii Music 2 would be awesome! (this is directed at you fuckers who keep mentioning an announcement like that in jest :p)

I'd really like to see Miyamoto's idea of Wuhu Island being reused each time in a different genre, though. I hope this game (and Wii Relax) use the island somehow. A point 'n click adventure type of game taking place in the island would be potentially wonderful!

Skiesofwonder

timetokill said:
I think Epic Mickey can be considered confirmed for the main conference. Nintendo would be downright stupid to not highlight it.

Yeah I would bet my right pinky against anyone that doesn't think it will be showcased at Nintendo's E3 Conference.

AniHawk

timetokill said:

What was the last 3rd party game they showcased at their conference (that they didn't publish themselves)? And I thought Disney had their own conference.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:

the bold are a no. we don't know TLS's release date for Japan or Xenoblade's release for NA (both listed as TBA)

Skiesofwonder

AniHawk said:
What was the last 3rd party game they showcased at their conference (that they didn't publish themselves)? And I thought Disney had their own conference.

Depends on what your definition of "showcased" is. Meaning actually demoed on stage?

Then that would be Shaun White Snowboarding (2008) followed by Red Steel (2006) I believe.

Skiesofwonder

ILikeFeet said:
the bold are a no. we don't know TLS's release date for Japan or Xenoblade's release for NA (both listed as TBA)

My mistake. Though Last Story is now listed as "2010" in Japan.

cacildo

Skiesofwonder said:

Well, we know about at least one extra "surprise": the game ONM is teasing right now, with the space/stars image. Game blowout on the magazine will tie in with Nintendo´s E3 presentation

AND this game can be anything from Kirby to Cosmic Walker (but please, be Star Fox WII!!!!)

So yeah, we can start gathering pictures of surprised cats, because this is going to be heavy :D

GDGF

Soothsayer
AceBandage said:
I just hope at least half the conference is them showing off Star Fox 3DS and Retro's new game.

I wouldn't mind it one bit if they were one and the same.

Top Bottom