• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Party Makeshift |OT|

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I'm not a fan of the casual Mii games. But the idea of EAD and Miis replacing the stale Mario Party series is a win in my opinion.

Just no more Big Brain Academys and Wii Music. Will be good.
If Mii party games replace Mario Party, that would be great. Mario has been a little overexposed in recent years.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
You can't just replace mario and friends with generic miis and unstale a game series. Matter of fact, it makes it seem more stale. Doesn't help that every Wii developer and their neightbors have tried to make a quick buck with a party game.

We are getting plenty of Mario in really awesome games. Super Mario Galaxy 1, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii. Not too mention Super Smash Bros. Wii.

I think the recycled mini-games and long drawn board-game concept of Mario Party has reached a saturation point. Let a new team with fresher ideas make a new game. If this is EAD. I will take EAD over Hudson anyday.

Then again, Nintendo doesn't care. This is about making the most amount of money in the least amount of time and effort. They're cashing in while the chips are hot much like activision does.

Perhaps all Nintendo cares about money. Can't blame the business. But, if you are using Mario Party as an argument against it, you are very wrong. Mario Party was Nintendo's Tony Hawk. 9-console Mario Party games. Very little innovation.

I love Mario Party (at least the older ones, hated MP8 but love MP1,2 and 3!) so I'm actually pretty stoked for this :D

It looks like it's clearly based on the MP series (given Iwata's comments and the picture of a spherical game board)

Bring it on! (Oh and hows about bringing MP 1,2 and 3 to the VC while you're at it as well!)

Mael

Mr. B Natural said:
You can't just replace mario and friends with generic miis and unstale a game series. Matter of fact, it makes it seem more stale. Doesn't help that every Wii developer and their neightbors have tried to make a quick buck with a party game. This poo isn't fresh.

Then again, Nintendo doesn't care. This is about making the most amount of money in the least amount of time and effort. They're cashing in while the chips are hot much like activision does.

Goes to show that some people cna still post through time,
this is direct from 2006

Mr. B Natural said:
You can't just replace mario and friends with generic miis and unstale a game series. Matter of fact, it makes it seem more stale. Doesn't help that every Wii developer and their neightbors have tried to make a quick buck with a party game. This poo isn't fresh.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and just assume stuff we basically know nothing about. Considering the state of the franchise right now it doesn't even really matter if it's Wii Party or Mario Party, it's either going to be a shitty game without Mario characters or a good game which will sell more because of the Miis. I see no reason to get worked up over this as long as we're getting stuff like Galaxy 2, Other M and Zelda.

BGBW said:
But Tanks is awesome.

I'm still waiting for Tanks! Plus for WiiWare. Give me four players online, Wii Speak support, customizable tanks and I'll never play anything else again.

Jokeropia

Smiles and Cries said:
everyone expects something like that these days. Zelda does not sell anymore we all know it :(
That's not quite true. Twilight Princess is the best selling Zelda since Ocarina of Time (and #2 or #3 overall) and the DS games are doing better than the GBA games.

Jokeropia said:
That's not quite true. Twilight Princess is the best selling Zelda since Ocarina of Time (and #2 or #3 overall) and the DS games are doing better than the GBA games.

Kinda puts the sales complainers in perspective.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mario Party is dead.

Sure, you can all laugh now, but wait until Wii Galaxy, Wii and Punishment, Wii: Other W, and The Legend of Wii come out!

farnham said:
YES!!! this will definately own! hopefully its better then mario party 6 through 8

I thought that Mario Party 6 was pretty good myself, I liked the idea of having different rules for each board.

For me, the order of Mario Party goes like this...

MP3 >> MP1 >>> MP2 >>>>>>>>>>>> MP6 >> MPDS >>> MP7 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MP5 >>>>>>>>>>>> MP4 >> Poo >>>> Mario Party Advance & MP8

Mario Party e is pretty awesome as well :D

Moor-Angol said:
no Star Fox
no Pikmin
no Donkey Kong
no F-Zero

wow, a party game really was what Wii needs....

I love it when a new Wii___ game is announced.
It makes people act like all the other awesome titles that have been recently announced don't exist, and instead bitch about games that will likely be revealed soon anyway.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Moor-Angol said:
no Star Fox
no Pikmin
no Donkey Kong
no F-Zero

We're getting a mainline 3D mario, Metroid, and most likely Zelda in one year, plus possibly 2 RPG's...and we're whining about ONE casual game announcement?

People see what they want to see...

Dascu

schuelma said:
We're getting a mainline 3D mario, Metroid, and most likely Zelda in one year, plus possibly 2 RPG's...and we're whining about ONE casual game announcement?

You forgot Kirby Wii and FlingSmash.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:

I can only imagine the response these people will have to Microsoft's and Sony's E3 conferences.

farnham

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
I thought that Mario Party 6 was pretty good myself, I liked the idea of having different rules for each board.

For me, the order of Mario Party goes like this...

MP3 >> MP1 >>> MP2 >>>>>>>>>>>> MP6 >> MPDS >>> MP7 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MP5 >>>>>>>>>>>> MP4 >> Poo >>>> Mario Party Advance & MP8

Mario Party e is pretty awesome as well :D
i thought mario party 5 was the best.. 6 and 7 i didnt like because of the mic control games..

farnham

Banned
Moor-Angol said:
no Star Fox
no Pikmin
no Donkey Kong
no F-Zero

nintendo needs a 20 million + selling game this year..

games like mario galaxy 2, zelda wii that will sell nowhere near that number are just not enough

farnham

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
If this is EAD. I will take EAD over Hudson anyday.
QFT.. EAD if this game is internally developed it will be way better then any mario party game by default.. i hope the wiiplay team is working on this

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Moor-Angol said:
no Star Fox
no Pikmin
no Donkey Kong
no F-Zero

Nintendo is a huge company.

I personally like the Wii ___ games, will definitely be picking this up.

AColdDay

Wii Party has to be the laziest name I've heard of in a while. The ads will be spectacular though.

I actually believe that this is a move to de-emphasize the Vitality Sensor, as Iwata did not mention it in the briefing, and prior peripherals have gotten a mention as sales exciters. I wonder if even Nintendo is beginning to doubt the idea. E3 is going to be SO INTERESTING this year.

Dascu

So, what about Wii Relax? Perhaps Nintendo thought it would be too risky to depend on a more experimental type of game without having a secondary Wii- title that's sure to be a hit. I think the Wii Music "fiasco" scared them a bit.

Dascu said:
So, what about Wii Relax? Perhaps Nintendo thought it would be too risky to depend on a more experimental type of game without having a secondary Wii- title that's sure to be a hit. I think the Wii Music "fiasco" scared them a bit.

I could honestly see WiiRelax being just a downloadable game that comes free with the purchase of the VS.
So yeah, they'd need something more substantial for the casual crowd.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
Moor-Angol said:
no Star Fox
no Pikmin
no Donkey Kong
no F-Zero

no no no those games will follow the Wii titles

Wii Star Pilot (since you won't be fox)
Wiikmin
Wiinkey Kong
Wii-Zero

gerg

AceBandage said:
I could honestly see WiiRelax being just a downloadable game that comes free with the purchase of the VS.

Nintendo would never launch such a significant piece of hardware without an equally impressive piece of software.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jred250 said:
I actually believe that this is a move to de-emphasize the Vitality Sensor, as Iwata did not mention it in the briefing, and prior peripherals have gotten a mention as sales exciters. I wonder if even Nintendo is beginning to doubt the idea. E3 is going to be SO INTERESTING this year.

I thought he mentioned it briefly.

Sir Johnny

Neo Member
While the idea of this game being revealed before the E3 relieves me beyond any man's imagination, I seriously hope it to have been given to develop to EAD 2 in order for any other possible Nintendo game not to fall in the hands of those dumbasses.

The M.O.B

I guess people will be able to use their mario miis so it's not a big deal if mario party is dead. Plus developed in house.

TheDiabolical said:
no no no those games will follow the Wii titles

Wii Star Pilot (since you won't be fox)
Wiikmin
Wiinkey Kong
Wii-Zero

:lol :lol :lol

you are right !!!

so i can hope for a Pilot Wiings

gogojira

I'm into a few of the Wii line of games, mostly Sports and Resort, so I'm good with this. Clearly this isn't one of their major E3 surprise titles, so I'm not too concerned with this stealing the spotlight from other bigger titles.

Sir Johnny said:
While the idea of this game being revealed before the E3 relieves me beyond any man's imagination, I seriously hope it to have been given to develop to EAD 2 in order for any other possible Nintendo game not to fall in the hands of those dumbasses.
What's dumb about them?

schuelma said:

Nintendo could highlight their wii aspect with this one title during their conference. While giving their confirmed Wii game a trailer, but no signs of gameplay or anything.

Zelda? Is that really for this year? I thought it would be for next year

Sadist

The M.O.B said:
I guess people will be able to use their mario miis so it's not a big deal if mario party is dead. Plus developed in house.
Wii Music was developed in house. Just sayin'

jay

schuelma said:

I think it's the specific game, not that it's casual, that a lot of people are responding to. Some of the Wii series is good and so this doesn't have to be a casual versus core debate but rather a games that sound interesting versus games that sound obvious and generic debate.

KingJ2002

im glad they're not going to whore out mario anymore with a billion mario games... let the Mii's do that... and keep the mario variants to a minimum.

Somnid

Typical response. Anyway the Wii Series has been very high quality (Music aside). Definitely some of the best multiplayer games this generation. I think this will be great.

It's true Wii has a lot of party games but the reason you guys are complaining (and for some reason don't seem to realize) is that none of them are any good. The market for a high quality entry is still pretty open I'd say.

Top Bottom