• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Club |OT| Get your Miiverse trash-talk on

Darryl

Banned
Has anyone tried playing this game offline? Not local play, but actually starting up the game with your Wii U disconnected from the Internet? I heard that you can't get past the title screen if you are offline, supposedly because that is when tries to "obtain information." I swear, if this game is always-online...

Yea. My Wii U doesn't detect my online half the time. Not my Wii Us problem, just a shitty modem that I'm too lazy to fix. I can confirm that you can do everything but play online. I've had to get on and just do practice a few times because I was too lazy to restart my modem.
I think you are right.
it is no more the pick up & play it used to be.
and I am happy about the chenges, because today I'll probably end playing it alone, or with a friend of mine that is a "player", unlike back in the days.
But I'm also sure that they did a great job proposing Sport back in the days, as it was: very accessible
I think they did a good job. My girlfriend is addicted to it. Judging by the comments above explaining it (thanks guys), it does seem to have a good bit of depth which is cool as well. Pretty necessary for it to have some depth for the online to work as well.

tsab

Has anyone tried playing this game offline? Not local play, but actually starting up the game with your Wii U disconnected from the Internet? I heard that you can't get past the title screen if you are offline, supposedly because that is when tries to "obtain information." I swear, if this game is always-online...

quoting myself

I don't know if it was mentioned, but you must be online to play with a day pass (some form of drm I guess), the single sport pass doesn't need internet connection on

source: the manual

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
BTW not getting stamps online but increasing the experience with it is a bit bullshit.
Had to get the "10 consecutive deuce" and "perfect" stamps against level star-7 bots.
That was relatively easy however the last I miss is the "win a match with only forehand shots".
That's quite harder, like playing tennis with just one arm against cheaters.
Maybe harder than beating the champions girls.
Yeah, that forearm challenge was a pain, especially when the remote decided to lose calibration spaz out and then you do a backhand shot without meaning to.

Knew it was something like that.

Well now I'm confused, as I just played him again and he's the same Level as I am...

EDIT: Those bemoaning a lack of Tennis tutorial, read the manual!

EDIT 2: Ok, nevermind, I got the frying pans.

iLIiZtTUTQkkw.jpg

What ranking do you have to be in tennis to play the champions? Also, what's the highest ranking in both tennis and bowling? It's getting to be a pain to rank up once you hit Star-4...

What ranking do you have to be in tennis to play the champions? Also, what's the highest ranking in both tennis and bowling? It's getting to be a pain to rank up once you hit Star-4...

I played them at Star-9 though I have a feeling I first encountered them at a lower level than that (since I've been Star-9 forever).

Highest rank is Star-10 in Tennis. I assume Bowling is the same.

JavyOO7

Oh man, the lag is killer. When the online play is lag free, you can say why this game is god like. But most of my online matches have been lag fests. Even when there isn't lag fests I still get my butt kicked most of the time, but I hope there are patches in the future to fix this stuff.

And I feel like whether offline or online I'm having to recaliberate my Wii mote in the middle of a rally quite often since it gets off centered quite often. Maybe instead of trying to do my best impression of a tennis player, maybe I should just do suitable movement with my wrists? =p

The offline experience of tennis is god like, though. Easy 10/10. But the online portion, such as the match making, the lag, and only having 1 on 1 online and making it up to 7 points is really a swing and a miss. I hope there are patches in the future.

How is bowling for you guys? I'll start reading the thread...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
You still can't control the player yourself in Tennis (same as in the old WS) I imagine, or can you?
Nevertheless, this will be my most played game as soon as I grab a WiiU (hopefully for Christmas)

HeySeuss

Played some games and leveled up to star-5. All my games seemed really laggy tonight. Had 3 bars(yellow) nearly every game.

I wonder if it was because the servers are getting clobbered with downloads since spotpass started today.

You still can't control the player yourself in Tennis (same as in the old WS) I imagine, or can you?
Nevertheless, this will be my most played game as soon as I grab a WiiU (hopefully for Christmas)

No, you can't.

It's very difficult to find people to play in Tennis now. If I do get a game, it's usually one of the same 6 or so guys. It seems very few people have gotten to the very high levels.

NewGame

Banned
Okay so I just downloaded this.

Tennis is unplayable.

My Mii seems unable to deal with the motion plus in this game. I am constantly holding my tennis racket above my head and the slightest movement has me smacking my bottom while the ball skips along beside me.

I tried playing online and it looks like the other guy is having the same problem. The game is basically Wii Sports: Speshul Olympics edition.

And yes. I recenter the thing with the Dpad. It doesn't help. Or rather it helps a little bit and then you have a net rally where it's physically impossible to recenter the remote and make a swing at the same time.

I mean, why is it that Motion Plus has ruined what was totally functional in the original?? I just don't get it! Didn't the developers try playing it? Didn't they give it to other Wii Sports players?

Also they are charging $13 for 1/4 of what is an 8 year old game. Why?
GAF answer: Because Nintendo.

Tennis is unplayable.

My Mii seems unable to deal with the motion plus in this game. I am constantly holding my tennis racket above my head and the slightest movement has me smacking my bottom while the ball skips along beside me.

I tried playing online and it looks like the other guy is having the same problem. The game is basically Wii Sports: Speshul Olympics edition.

And yes. I recenter the thing with the Dpad. It doesn't help. Or rather it helps a little bit and then you have a net rally where it's physically impossible to recenter the remote and make a swing at the same time.

I mean, why is it that Motion Plus has ruined what was totally functional in the original?? I just don't get it! Didn't the developers try playing it? Didn't they give it to other Wii Sports players?

Basically, a big "?" to your entire post. Sorry, but I'm not having issues like that, and certainly not to that extent, at all. I've put in over 24 hours in Tennis alone.

Celine

Tennis is unplayable.

EDIT:
DP sorry.

Seems you suck at it.
Be a man and improve yourself.

Netcode is shit though.

D-e-f-

Banned
$13? How did $9.99 suddenly turn into 13?
Also: they're not. It's an updated version of an 8 year old game with new features.

Go319

The other night i hosted a get together with my gamer friends, only 2 of us had Wii U's so we played my Wii U most of the night as it was a novelty to the group...

Went to boot up Wii U Sports for the first time (free 24hr pass) and well spent the first twenty mins waiting for opponents to show up online for tennis...none gave up, then we played bowling...success...opponents found...up comes my first turn, system freezes, have to power down completely...what a bad impression.

group consensus was to abandon it. I have not turned it on since.

Is it always this bad online??

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The other night i hosted a get together with my gamer friends, only 2 of us had Wii U's so we played my Wii U most of the night as it was a novelty to the group...

Went to boot up Wii U Sports for the first time (free 24hr pass) and well spent the first twenty mins waiting for opponents to show up online for tennis...none gave up, then we played bowling...success...opponents found...up comes my first turn, system freezes, have to power down completely...what a bad impression.

group consensus was to abandon it. I have not turned it on since.

Is it always this bad online??

What? in which region are you? I never waited more than 30 seconds to find a partner in tennis (I'm in Europe). What option did you try? Everyone, friends or club ?

Go319

What? in which region are you? I never waited more than 30 seconds to find a partner in tennis (I'm in Europe). What option did you try? Everyone, friends or club ?

We tried 'Everyone' im in Australia. Tried about six times.

As soon as i switched to bowling I got a match instantly.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
We tried 'Everyone' im in Australia. Tried about six times.

As soon as i switched to bowling I got a match instantly.

Oh, I get it now. It might be because of the time difference. Probably not so many people have the console and play Wii Sports Club in Australia and NZ and in Europe would be around this hour, no ? And people at are work or school. I never tried to play around this time in a workday as I'm at work, but on Sunday it worked fine.

Macleoid

I finally gave it a proper play and I'm loving online tennis. I bet population is the main cause of lag.

I had plenty of five bar matches last night, mainly against opponents from mainland Europe (I'm in Scotland). It was a lot easier to get good game connections playing solo than playing with a partner.

Mitsurux

So I finally started to mess around with the training mode games.. and they remind me of some of the wacky games found in the Virtual Tennis series (4, 2009 career modes), very fun stuff. (Friend leaderboards, etc.)

Nothing is more frusterating that losing a match to a player from World Club due to lag (so far it been the only "club" that has given me real lag issues). Wish that you could exclude clubs in your search, or use connection as a search criteria.

An intersting note about lag.. is that I've encountered two types... the frame skipping jitter type of lag.. and then last night a game that was just SLOW no jitter orframe skipping. (Just in slomo)

So I finally started to mess around with the training mode games.. and they remind me of some of the wacky games found in the Virtual Tennis series (4, 2009 career modes), very fun stuff. (Friend leaderboards, etc.)

Nothing is more frusterating that losing a match to a player from World Club due to lag (so far it been the only "club" that has given me real lag issues). Wish that you could exclude clubs in your search, or use connection as a search criteria.

An intersting note about lag.. is that I've encountered two types... the frame skipping jitter type of lag.. and then last night a game that was just SLOW no jitter orframe skipping. (Just in slomo)

As someone who's in World Club (i'm in the Caribbean) and has played a shitload of matches, I can safely say that......Chile must have shit internet. I get 1 bar against Chileans, yet 3 at least against Californians, despite Chile being closer by about 1,000km.

No problems against North Americans.

Games should have a minimum connection speed limit to play online.
Say if your internet is <2mbps, it would say something like "sorry your connection is too slow". Same with ports/firewalls.

Point is, if your internet is not adequate you shouldn't also ruin everybody else's fun.

Celine

Games should have a minimum connection speed limit to play online.
Say if your internet is <2mbps, it would say something like "sorry your connection is too slow". Same with ports/firewalls.

Point is, if your internet is not adequate you shouldn't also ruin everybody else's fun.
I would add the following features to Wii Tennis as it is now:

- if an online match get one single bar for 20 seconds then interrupt it without anyone losing points. It's no fun playing with that kind of lag.
You can if you wish "ban" the user with who you had low connection (started doing so as advised by Jaded previously)

- add rematch option.

- add an in-game service to notify your friends for meeting in the friend lobby.

- as the champion girls appear randomly, let appear randomly a weak opponent in single mode (let's say -10 levels from yours) cause some stamps are unfeasible at higher levels. Experience can be earned online but not stamps that screw players that focused on online from day one.

- more filter options for clubs (let's say I want to play with a friend so to be sure to have good connection but if there aren't anyone available at the moment the rest are still fine to get or something like that).

- Improve net-code. Seriously the lag sometime is unbearable!!!

japtor

I cannot wait to play Baseball and Golf.

I was addicted to homerun derby back in the day.
Oh god I completely forgot about home run derby (you'd think I would've remembered cause my friend sending me a pic of a remote lodged in his wall by his roommate playing it). I was just planning on Bowling and Golf but I might have to get Baseball too.

As for bowling, played a few online games and had one particularly nice match going:

gsTAkeW.jpg

Of course I blew it on the next frame. That guy just missed a 300 game with a 9-spare in the 9th, he finished with a turkey.

Mitsurux

As someone who's in World Club (i'm in the Caribbean) and has played a shitload of matches, I can safely say that......Chile must have shit internet. I get 1 bar against Chileans, yet 3 at least against Californians, despite Chile being closer by about 1,000km.

No problems against North Americans.

Yep, since anyone could technically join any club, perhaps i was to quick to place the blame on the club itself.. but its just what i've experienced lately...

I think we might have been randomly matched a few days ago... sent you a friend request (leve:l Star 7)

(Tennis Question) Also other than updating personal records, if two players play each other from the same club.. does the Club get a win and a loss, or is the game not counted... (?)

Yep, since anyone could technically join any club, perhaps i was to quick to place the blame on the club itself.. but its just what i've experienced lately...

I think we might have been randomly matched a few days ago... sent you a friend request (leve:l Star 7)

(Tennis Question) Also other than updating personal records, if two players play each other from the same club.. does the Club get a win and a loss, or is the game not counted... (?)

I've been Following most people who send me requests lately, as my List is full sadly. I'll have to check.

I'm not sure what happens with the Club in that instance really.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Grand Slam Tennis already exists.

Indeed, and it's awesome too boot. Too bad it lacks content, feels almost like a glorified demo, and the geniuses at EA instead of building on it they decided to release GST2 without a Wii sku while also making a fucking horrible motion controlled experience out of it.

That being said, I'd love the *option* to control the player's movement in WSC's Tennis.

JimboJones

Had fun using this in a few online matches lol.

GbjBGIq.png

Is there no way to increase ranks in 2 player? You could in the original, seems odd not to be able to do it in this.

NimbusD

So many confused people on Miiverse wondering how they suddenly have this game in their Menu...

Yeah. Well this is annoying. Because I opened up the game to see what it was and then suddenly I have a 24 hour trail starting right then? On a tuesday night when I just was turning on my Wii U to watch some netflix... That was a waste, won't get to use my trail at all basically. Could have been better communicated.

Played it for 2 seconds, seems like it would be fun I guess.

JimboJones

Yeah. Well this is annoying. Because I opened up the game to see what it was and then suddenly I have a 24 hour trail starting right then? On a tuesday night when I just was turning on my Wii U to watch some netflix... That was a waste, won't get to use my trail at all basically. Could have been better communicated.

Played it for 2 seconds, seems like it would be fun I guess.

I think they said you get another 24 hours when they release new sports but yeah could have had a warning and an option to back out before the game started.

Top Bottom