• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Club |OT| Get your Miiverse trash-talk on

NeoRausch

hey there,

my wife is bored of playing against random strangers. her (super) main is bowling. please feel free to add her:

NNID: Cadizzle

Celine

I just tested it and you DO NOT need a sensor bar.
No but a hardcore tennis player would always prefer use it.

Tip of the day:
With the exception of when you need to respond to a service the preferable starting position is always with wiimote pointing to tv because:
- it's the quickiest way to change from backhand to forehand depending on what the opponent do.
- it auto center the sensor so you have less drifting (although in the more chaotic situation or with a certain spin move you need to calibrade yourself with the dpad )

oatmeal

Banned
No but a hardcore tennis player would always prefer use it.

Tip of the day:
With the exception of when you need to respond to a service the preferable starting position is always with wiimote pointing to tv because:
- it's the quickiest way to change from backend to straight depending on what the opponent do.
- it auto center the sensor so you have less drifting (although in the more chaotic situation or with a certain spin move you need to autocalibrade yourself with the dpad )

Do you need it, though?

Since you can point at your Mii and just press DOWN on the D-Pad to calibrate...?

Glass Joe

Do you need it, though?

Since you can point at your Mii and just press DOWN on the D-Pad to calibrate...?

I don't think you'd truly need it. Between each volley, I make it a habit to center my remote and see how my player's tennis racquet is aligned in comparison. If it's a little off, I just hit down on the d-pad. The sensor bar may help keep this from occurring as often, but hey -- if I forget to do this, it's a simple enough habit to get used to anyway.

Wait, so if my girlfriend wants to play games online and have her own record and stuff, the only way to do that is to make her own Wii U account on my system and switch to that? I spent like 20 minutes looking for a "switch mii" option.

Is this true? Massive deal breaker for me if so. I hate that the second player in online Nintendo games on the same system is basically a "clone" of Player 1 with no ability to have their own records. That really annoyed me in Mario Kart Wii especially.

Having said all that I had a blast playing Bowling online and offline today.
Tennis against a friend in another country was like being in bullet time in the Matrix and we literally went a whole game without being able to hit a ball outside of our own serve LOL.

AzaK

I know it is cool to say things like "Har har Nintendo does not understand the internet"

First things first parents trust Nintendo far more than Sony or Microsoft put together. Nintendo knows there are a lot of kids that play their systems and so they put in designs for this. Yes there are perental controls but that didn't prevent the swapnote incident.

With the issue that they had with swapnote there is a reason there is no voice or typing communication here. Voice will only add more lag to the games and sending text can open up Wii Sports to pedophiles and abusive players especially since this is a sports game. When do you even need to communicate in tennis? between serves?

I like that there is no way to back out of playing online. I hate force quitters with a passion and it hurts the overall community. I also like that you can't pull up menu's and what not. This can lead to people not playing when they have to. When do you have time in Tennis to do anything but play? In bowling there is time between plays but still. I want the game to flow from player to player instead of some person who is on miiverse or internet and not playing. Atleast the wiimote chimes if you are away from the tv to indicate it is your turn but how would that work when you are in a completely different app?

So please stop this Nintendo does not know online crap. They intentionally designed it that way.
Nintendo didn't do voice because it'd cost them money. It would not add significant 'lag' especially in a game like bowling that is essentially turn based.

jiwfzXbwp7YMS.PNG

Haha, yes! This post just popped up on my home screen/mii plaza. It faded away so quickly, I wasn't sure it was referring to this. After poking a bunch of the miis, I found the post. Was going to post a screenshot, but looks like Jaded Alyx beat me to it.

Jackano

So today some of my opponents started to stop playing when they loose 5 or 6 to 0~3.
They wait 30 secs on their service and that causes the game to be won (by me) but the level points are only +10/-10.
F**k people.

So today some of my opponents started to stop playing when they loose 5 or 6 to 0~3.
They wait 30 secs on their service and that causes the game to be won (by me) but the level points are only +10/-10.
F**k people.

Worse, I've had a couple just turn off their Wii U so I don't get any points, and they don't lose any.

Thankfully, you can block such people so you don't encounter them again. I started doing that with people with really BAD connections.

Speaking of points, I'm at Star-8 now, and it seems like I only seem to get around +2 on average for winning :/

zroid

Banned
Nintendo didn't do voice because it'd cost them money. It would not add significant 'lag' especially in a game like bowling that is essentially turn based.

How would it "cost them money"...?

I'd think it was a design decision to leave out, if anything. Even the Miiverse posts which you are allowed to use have to be moderated first. They are protecting the kiddies.

Exile20

I said it was because of abusive players and pedos. Has nothing to do with money.

Celine

Worse, I've had a couple just turn off their Wii U so I don't get any points, and they don't lose any.

Thankfully, you can block such people so you don't encounter them again. I started doing that with people with really BAD connections.

Speaking of points, I'm at Star-8 now, and it seems like I only seem to get around +2 on average for winning :/
How can you block users?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
As with other Wii U software it is rather annoying that Nintendo has chosen to prevent Miis appearing in software unless they are marked favourite.

I'd rather that favourites are the ones that appear on the Mii selection list while the rest populate the background as they did on the Wii.

Sendou

Finally getting hang of tennis. I think I'll buy it but goddamn bowling is boring online. I'll definitely play it the next time a new sport released but it's just not worth 10€ for me.

jmizzal

Well thats gonna happen with any online game but it sucks tho

I have been doing real good with Tennis, brought the game last night

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Just bowled my first 300. I didn't know you don't acquire stamps for online games. :(

How? Seriously, how did you do this? I used to be able to in Wii Sports, but I barely played Resort at all, and the Motion+ aspect of the controls is killing my consistency. I can never duplicate the same bowl twice, and it's killing me. This is why I don't bowl in real life, I was hoping the game wouldn't duplicate that experience so closely...

RomanceDawn

Man it all sounds so fun! As soon as I'm done breeding these Mankey's I'll join in.

I thought no one liked these types games anymore?/sarcasm.

Hoodbury

Just downloaded and played some tennis with my wife. We joined club Minnesota and played some online matches but it didn't track any of our wins. Everytime we try to search for club matches we can't find anyone.

Is online mode for fun only? Or is it because we're still on the free trial?

Sendou

Just downloaded and played some tennis with my wife. We joined club Minnesota and played some online matches but it didn't track any of our wins. Everytime we try to search for club matches we can't find anyone.

I think wins are only updated daily or so. Sometimes it can be hard to find opponents when searching using specific conditions.

That's odd.

EDIT: Still waiting if anyone wants some Tennis.

Hoodbury

I think wins are only updated daily or so. Sometimes it can be hard to find opponents when searching using specific conditions.

So if I keep searching for basic online anyone people I am still helping my club? I just need to wait for the servers to update? I wanted to help my club, we won 3 matches in a row.

Sendou

So if I keep searching for basic online anyone people I am still helping my club? I just need to wait for the servers to update? I wanted to help my club, we won 3 matches in a row.

Yeah you just need to wait for the servers to update. I won a match against region that according to statistics we had never won against but still when I checked afterwards it still showed that we had won 0.00% out of the matches.

jmizzal

Yes who ever you play outside your club is wins for your club, searching for club only will only look for people in your club, so if nobody is trying to play from your club you wont find any games.

And wins are updated a while after you play soo it wont be there right away

Arc07

How? Seriously, how did you do this? I used to be able to in Wii Sports, but I barely played Resort at all, and the Motion+ aspect of the controls is killing my consistency. I can never duplicate the same bowl twice, and it's killing me. This is why I don't bowl in real life, I was hoping the game wouldn't duplicate that experience so closely...
Find a consistant line & throwing motion. Works like a charm. I'd say my average is around a 260.

Top Bottom